10-16-13 03:46 PM
184 12345 ...
tools
    Dude, he gave you a definition and you quoted it! "devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you". If you choose not to accept the answer, that's your problem.

Looking at their roadmap and SDK additions, this is totally backed up. Geofencing, miracast, NFC, etc. Stop thinking it as a phone, texter, web surfer, and open up to the possibilities of what the phone can do. They even demo'd how a rocking chair could be interfaced to be used in a game. Nearly all of the Tat demo's.

Their whole m2m and QNX also backs this up. Arduino hacking and blue tooth can make your phone control just about anything. Bat mobile! House automation is ripe for full integration to be powerful and useful, and I imagine cars in the next year or two as well.

With geo fencing and bluetooth, there is a s#it ton of stuff that can be done to interact with the world. Hopefully, we're see more of that in the next few months.

Stop trying to pull in the competition, it doesn't need to be mentioned (does Apple ever?). They are trying to open up a new market/world/way of thinking. Move forward and do something powerful, stop being a nit pick and attacking the guy.
    His point seems to be that this is groundbreaking stuff. Its not. And bringing it to the platform is only catching up with everything Android released since last year for everything but geo fencing - which came at GoogleIO in May.

And the 2.4 billion is a red herring. That number is already smaller. They burned through a half billion bucks last quarter and that bleeding didn't stop in at the end of August. They haven't done anything to improve their chances to sell more phones in the last 30 days - seems certain as the "uncertainty cloud" is as big as it's ever been for BlackBerry if you are honest with where they stand today.

Do I expect Alex to be Chicken Little - I do not. But I expected more than he's brought to the table. His division specifically seem to be doing nothing to improve the platform.
    10-01-13 08:19 PM
    Everyone seems to be talking about BlackBerry in general or Alec Saunders in general. What does everyone think about the statements in the article? I think it's all fluff /filler and has no substance.
    Well they do have the 2.7billion, i believe they are not closing shop, developement in asia is growing, as is blackberry 10 phones in some countries like Malaysia with 400% growth which is also where the Z30 was unveiled for the first time.

He is setting up an environment for asian developers to continue developing, telling them how and most importantly why.

I think, as expressed in the now very famous Globe and Mail article "why blackberry failed" they are still going ahead with their plans for china. The big name China apps (Sina Weibo and badoo) are still being developed and will be launched as mentioned at this conference.

Lets say just 1 percent of asia uses blackberry 10 thats 43 million users. Or just 1 percent of china, india and indonesia using blackberry 10 devices thats 27 million users. Id say thats good enough start for a niche player. Blackberry has managed to retain "some" of their market share here in asia. From everything he said I think he is reiterating that fact and pushing them on. Sure lots of people want instagram and netflix but whats more important to asia are the localised apps. In Malaysia for example, I had my local banks app in May maybe a week or so after the Q10 was launched.
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 10-01-13 at 08:35 PM.
    undone and badiyee like this.
    10-01-13 08:23 PM
    I'm really not sure what else Mr Saunders could of done, he gave every incentive to get developers on the BlackBerry platform from seeding thousands of play books and dev devices to retail devices, special edition devices and 10k guarantees. It's not his fault Netflix and instagram aren't on bb10, his job was the smaller devs. He was also very engaged online with developers and fans alike. The fault really lies with someone else. He did his part fully.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:23 PM
    I'm really not sure what else Mr Saunders could of done, he gave every incentive to get developers on the BlackBerry platform from seeding thousands of play books and dev devices to retail devices, special edition devices and 10k guarantees. It's not his fault Netflix and instagram aren't on bb10, his job was the smaller devs. He was also very engaged online with developers and fans alike. The fault really lies with someone else. He did his part fully.

Posted via CB10
    Marty mallick is the one who dropped the ball regarding Netflix and instagram. Marty is a fail.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:35 PM
    Marty mallick is the one who dropped the ball regarding Netflix and instagram. Marty is a fail.

Posted via CB10
    At least he doesn't form a band to sing songs about how great he's doing. And what is it with these aging white guys with studs in their ears?? lol.
    10-01-13 08:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree that it's Marty's job, but I totally understand why Instagram and Netflix wouldn't bother making apps for a platform that has yet to take off...............unless BlackBerry offered a bunch of money, which I think would be the best investment anyone could make in BlackBerry. That's where Prem's money should have been thrown-- at Instagram and Netflix.
    10-01-13 08:38 PM
    I agree that it's Marty's job, but I totally understand why Instagram and Netflix wouldn't bother making apps for a platform that has yet to take off...............unless BlackBerry offered a bunch of money, which I think would be the best investment anyone could make in BlackBerry. That's where Prem's money should have been thrown-- at Instagram and Netflix.
    It is kind of funny the wiiu has Netflix and bb10 has now outsold wiiu and does not have it.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:41 PM
    He didn't say anything untruthful. Assuming BB doesn't take billion-dollar writedowns every quarter, they do still have the cash to operate.
    There's still the Q10, the Q5 and the Z30 to write down. They could be out of cash before they even get to the Z30. I bet they made far too many Q phones. Didn't they learn anything from the PlayBook?!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:08 PM
    There's still the Q10, the Q5 and the Z30 to write down. They could be out of cash before they even get to the Z30. I bet they made far too many Q phones. Didn't they learn anything from the PlayBook?!

Posted via CB10
    The z30 is already here, and they don't seem to be having the same inventory issues with the q5 and q10. They over predicted the demand on the z10 by a long shot though.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:09 PM
    Rvc banking app and ABC hit BBW today. Not saying it's going to change the world. But the app selection is getting better, with more apps that people want.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:14 PM
    I agree. He needs to explain WHY BB is these things. Otherwise the comments are absolutely meaningless.

If they want people to think of BB in these ways then they need demonstrate the features that allow for it. Don't know about you but I have never heard someone say that they wanted their phone to be anything that Alec described. The language is totally out of touch with...well everybody imo.

Right now I want to save a Docs To Go xls sheet as PDF. Okay Ill just grab my mobile computing z10 and do it. Wait it can't.
    BB needs to get ******* serious cause **** is hitting the fan. When they say stuff like that its the same as saying they leap frogged the competition, which is depressing and credibility smashing. Basically a worthless sales pitch.

Like buddy said above regarding TAT demos....why, oh god why isn't there better TAT apps?
    10-01-13 09:17 PM
    Really don't get this guy. First check out the CB blog post.

BlackBerry's Alec Saunders: "We're definitely not going away" | CrackBerry.com

A few thoughts from Alec...

"We want people to think of our devices as mobile computing devices. We want them to think of them as a window onto the world around them. We want them to think of them as devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you. "

--once again, "mobile computing". No definition given yet or how it is better than the competition.

--"interact well with other things that are in the real world around you" playing the QNX card again, however have yet to see any real world results or how it differs from competition.

--"do interesting and powerful and useful things for you" what does this even mean? What is this that the competition cannot do?

"When I started with the company in August of 2011, we had just over a billion dollars in cash. Today, we're sitting at $2.7 billion in cash. Still debt-free. ..

--is this really his measure of success???

Seems he is just out to lunch. Thoughts on the article or Alec's statements anyone?

Yeah, I am impatient with them too, but I have to say that I do not know of ANY OS that is making such fast grounds at the moment.
    playbookster, bradu1 and badiyee like this.
    10-01-13 09:26 PM
    Why bother? Just around the corner is 10.2.x that will have Android 4.2.2 or better runtime, so anyone who does not already have these side-loaded, can simply do it in BlackBerry World when the new OS emerges this Month.

Besides, I would rather that they spend their money in more important areas, as they arguably have all the best featured apps already. A lot of legacy switchers are clamoring for banking apps...

Oh, RBC just happened! Never mind.
    10-01-13 09:31 PM
    This vaporous vision of mobile computing, (which other platforms are already doing), is the altar upon which so many BlackBerry employees have been sacrificed.

"We are in the second phase of our transformation plan where we will be assessing our organization — from top to bottom — to ensure we have the right people in the right roles with the right skill sets to drive new opportunities in mobile computing."

Every time I hear "mobile computing" from BlackBerry, I think of jobs lost.
    10-01-13 09:40 PM
    OP, it's completely within your scope to have your opinion about Alec Saunders. But realize that if you were in his role, what else would you be saying? Let's pack it in...bring in the fat lady....it's over! ? He's still collecting a paycheque and you want him to say something that is contrary to the fight BB is currently engaged in? I'm no rocket surgeon but I think most of us would probably do the same if we were in his shoes. My two cents...
    SK122387 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    10-01-13 09:46 PM
    OP, it's completely within your scope to have your opinion about Alec Saunders. But realize that if you were in his role, what else would you be saying? Let's pack it in...bring in the fat lady....it's over! ? He's still collecting a paycheque and you want him to say something that is contrary to the fight BB is currently engaged in? I'm no rocket surgeon but I think most of us would probably do the same if we were in his shoes. My two cents...
    The title is delusion CONTINUES. This is the same stuff he has been spewing for months and months, before BlackBerry's true demise was known. What else would I be saying? Something other then what I have been to get into this position. The fact that he is still saying the same thing -trying to sell the same QNX interconnected world that only works with BB10 dream is astounding.
    10-01-13 09:54 PM
    Alec Saunders appears to be very well liked in the developer community. Somewhat charismatic and direct, he is a better face to the company than some of the chief executives. He took whatever BlackBerry gave him and made something great. To be able to criss cross the world and build a project from the ground up would be a dream job.

To say Saunders is delusional is a bit of a stretch. He is towing the company line with his comments. What is skewed is the fact he's still acting as though BlackBerry will be a consumer oriented company when his new boss has proclaimed they will be enterprise oriented. Deservingly or not, he could be shown the door next year. Alec Saunders is probably working on his resume during his down time. He could have a bright future at a company like Microsoft or Facebook in 2014.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 10-01-13 at 10:46 PM.
    xiaohuaxing and playbookster like this.
    10-01-13 10:33 PM
    Dude, he gave you a definition and you quoted it! "devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you". If you choose not to accept the answer, that's your problem.

Looking at their roadmap and SDK additions, this is totally backed up. Geofencing, miracast, NFC, etc. Stop thinking it as a phone, texter, web surfer, and open up to the possibilities of what the phone can do. They even demo'd how a rocking chair could be interfaced to be used in a game. Nearly all of the Tat demo's.

Their whole m2m and QNX also backs this up. Arduino hacking and blue tooth can make your phone control just about anything. Bat mobile! House automation is ripe for full integration to be powerful and useful, and I imagine cars in the next year or two as well.

With geo fencing and bluetooth, there is a s#it ton of stuff that can be done to interact with the world. Hopefully, we're see more of that in the next few months.

Stop trying to pull in the competition, it doesn't need to be mentioned (does Apple ever?). They are trying to open up a new market/world/way of thinking. Move forward and do something powerful, stop being a nit pick and attacking the guy.
    That whole "open your mind up" to what a phone to be is just fluff and bs. You just mentioned miracast...guess what the z10 I bought beginning of the year at launch DOES NOT have that capability. So not only is blackberry behind in the app department..but I already have outdated hardware. But don't worry according to Alec and blackberry I will still have these imaginary mobile computing capabilities
    10-01-13 10:35 PM
    Really don't get this guy. First check out the CB blog post.

BlackBerry's Alec Saunders: "We're definitely not going away" | CrackBerry.com

A few thoughts from Alec...

"We want people to think of our devices as mobile computing devices. We want them to think of them as a window onto the world around them. We want them to think of them as devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you. "

--once again, "mobile computing". No definition given yet or how it is better than the competition.

--"interact well with other things that are in the real world around you" playing the QNX card again, however have yet to see any real world results or how it differs from competition.

--"do interesting and powerful and useful things for you" what does this even mean? What is this that the competition cannot do?

"When I started with the company in August of 2011, we had just over a billion dollars in cash. Today, we're sitting at $2.7 billion in cash. Still debt-free. ..

--is this really his measure of success???

Seems he is just out to lunch. Thoughts on the article or Alec's statements anyone?
    In my opinion, he said the right thing and hopefully the honest thing. Hysteria...some have become overcome and we see them in all these threads. Perspective...a good thing to gain when balancing the many demands on our lives.
    10-01-13 10:41 PM
    Why bother? Just around the corner is 10.2.x that will have Android 4.2.2 or better runtime, so anyone who does not already have these side-loaded, can simply do it in BlackBerry World when the new OS emerges this Month.

Besides, I would rather that they spend their money in more important areas, as they arguably have all the best featured apps already. A lot of legacy switchers are clamoring for banking apps...

Oh, RBC just happened! Never mind.

The coming of Android 4.2.2. runtime doesn't mean that the big name apps will come to us at all. It means the Android ports (and sideloads) will simply run more smoothly. It doesn't open up the Google Play store or something magical to BlackBerry10 users.

Banking apps are a must if BlackBerry switches its entire focus to business, you are right about that. But if they have any hope of remaining relevant or semi-relevant in the consumer sphere, they still need to be able to say, "Instagram Now Available In BlackBerry World" (and Netflix and whatever else people have been crying over).
    10-01-13 10:41 PM
    wow, had no idea about the 46,000+ map apps. completely discredits any mention of the app store and quantity of apps on the platform. i'm actually disappointed.
    10-01-13 10:43 PM
    The coming of Android 4.2.2. runtime doesn't mean that the big name apps will come to us at all. It means the Android ports (and sideloads) will simply run more smoothly. It doesn't open up the Google Play store or something magical to BlackBerry10 users.
    Thunderbuck seems to convey it could lead to a flood of Android apps.
    10-01-13 10:44 PM
    Thunderbuck seems to convey it could lead to a flood of Android apps.
    And it very well could, but it's definitely not a given (other than Flipboard).
    10-01-13 10:46 PM
    wow, had no idea about the 46,000+ map apps. completely discredits any mention of the app store and quantity of apps on the platform. i'm actually disappointed.
    Let's look on the bright side. At least this Crackberry story from 2011 is finally true. S4BB certainly made more money off Blackberry than they could possibly have on iOS or Android.

BlackBerry developers make more money than Android and iOS developers | CrackBerry.com
    10-01-13 10:59 PM
    And it very well could, but it's definitely not a given (other than Flipboard).
    It could, but most likely won't. Heard the same argument every time with the pb. The floodgates will open once we get 2.0, the really good devs are waiting for 2.1, the really really good devs are waiting for 10.0!

I set my expectations very low, if a new "good app" shows up then I'm pleasantly surprised. I have flip board on 10.2 and I mostly like it. Too often I have to click "view on web" when articles won't load.
    10-01-13 11:06 PM
184 12345 ...