10-16-13 02:46 PM
184 1234 ...
tools
    How is Alec Saunders in any way responsible?

Posted via CB10
    Come on, dude. The guy is a Vice President of the company - his department is responsible for the Apps that we get to use. One of the MAJOR reasons BB10 has not sold is the lack of decent apps. Blind Freddy knows that. He is partly responsible.

You want the VP status and salary - take the responsibility too.
    10-01-13 06:14 PM
    Alec Saunders needs to go Jail with his Pals from S4bb who helped defraud shareholders. Nothing less will satisfy me.
    JAIL TIME. Wow. The S4BB stuff is inexcusable. So many garbage apps.

But to say Alec belongs in jail? Jesus.

This guy has been flying around the world for over a year trying to get apps on board. What exactly do you think he's been doing? Sometimes no means no, and that's what some of the big app developers have told BlackBerry, and in many cases IN LIFE, trying your best/hardest doesn't yield the results you want.......which is what has happened with Alec so far.

I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to have Instagram, Netflix, etc. onboard.

Besides, if he were really in it all for the money, after purposely sinking the stock (like some people apparently think), I'm pretty sure he'd make more money if he got apps onboard a thriving BlackBerry10 platform than if the company were sold.
    10-01-13 06:15 PM
    I said he's one of the people who helped.
    Do you want me to spell it out to you? You haven't heard of a little thing called Apps?
    He's the head of Developer Relations. 2+2 = sometimes does equal 4.
    He is in charge of relations with independent developers. I haven't seen many independent developers who are unhappy with the things he's done to help improve BlackBerry's image with them.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:16 PM

But to say Alec belongs in jail? Jesus.

This guy has been flying around the world for over a year trying to get apps on board. What exactly do you think he's been doing? Sometimes no means no, and that's what some of the big app developers have told BlackBerry, and in many cases IN LIFE, trying your best/hardest doesn't yield the results you want.......which is what has happened with Alec so far.

I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to have Instagram, Netflix, etc. onboard.

Besides, if he were really in it all for the money, after purposely sinking the stock (like some people apparently think), I'm pretty sure he'd make more money if he got apps onboard a thriving BlackBerry10 platform than if the company were sold.
    Alec isn't in charge of trying to win over big name app developers. So therefore they wouldn't have said no to him.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:17 PM
    This guy has been flying around the world for over a year trying to get apps on board. What exactly do you think he's been doing?
    He's been flying around in one of 2 Falcon Jet don't be silly! And what has he been doing? not sure, but he founded a new co outside on Blackberry with...guess who....his best pal from S4BB...whom he must have paid a large chunk of the $4M in award money that was paid to devs!!!

Yes, this guy goes to Jail or they open the books on how much money was paid to S4BB.
    10-01-13 06:22 PM
    He is in charge of relations with independent developers. I haven't seen many independent developers who are unhappy with the things he's done to help improve BlackBerry's image with them.

Posted via CB10
    That's because there aren't many developers. They held Blackberry Jam just now in Asia - one of the biggest developer region for BB in the world. They said 1,000 people turned up. That in itself is poor in my opinion, and the way the video was edited I'd be very doubtful those figures are even true. I know a guy who works at the centre where it was held. Let me just say my mate Damian didn't see 1,000 people in one place. Maybe spread over the few days.

What was the figure? 47% of all apps by S4BB?
    10-01-13 06:23 PM
    Come on, dude. The guy is a Vice President of the company - his department is responsible for the Apps that we get to use. One of the MAJOR reasons BB10 has not sold is the lack of decent apps. Blind Freddy knows that. He is partly responsible.

You want the VP status and salary - take the responsibility too.
    He's vp of dev relations, not the company lol

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:25 PM
    That's because there aren't many developers. They held Blackberry Jam just now in Asia - one of the biggest developer region for BB in the world. They said 1,000 people turned up. That in itself is poor in my opinion, and the way the video was edited I'd be very doubtful those figures are even true. I know a guy who works at the centre where it was held. Let me just say my mate Damian didn't see 1,000 people in one place. Maybe spread over the few days.

What was the figure? 47% of all apps by S4BB?
    37% was the claim for all Asian developers. And if you divide the number of S4BB apps by the total number of apps in app world it's 36.6% for S4BB.
    10-01-13 06:25 PM
    Yeah, but considering the rapid implosion of this company, to even have money left is shocking to most people who hear it.

$2.5 billion isn't near enough to keep BlackBerry running the way it had been running in years past (with a bunch of devices being pumped out a year).

I don't think he's using the "we aren't totally broke" line as a measure of success, I think he's putting it in perspective... that despite the downfall in recent years, they still have more money than when he started. And now, with 40% of their employees being laid off and no new devices in the pipeline, $2.5 billion dollars and no debt...well, it's in no way where they thought they'd be or even where they want to be, but all things considered, for being a "dead company," $2.5 billion dollars and no debt is still something positive.

It's not like he's out there straight up lying or misleading people. He even just told people that if they want to share pictures on BB10, to pretty much not hold their breath for Instagram, and find another photo sharing service. That's a lot of straight talk for someone so high up.
    I agree with you. Even though he's no Steve Jobs I think Alec Saunders has some on stage presence and better than TH by a mile.

He had a really hard task. Getting developers to create apps for a new, untested and small userbase platform. Call it desperation but, from a marketing viewpoint, those N4BB apps may have done more good than bad at least before the bubble burst, some were decent apps from them like News for Blackberry (if you dont know how to use RSS feeds which are many people).

And apps are still continuing to be released, such as RBC today, despite all the negativity surrounding Blackberry. This was momentum created by this man.

He did more for blackberry than TH at the conference. At least he was there and right from the get go he said they are not going anywhere. And I do believe private or public, Blackberry will continue to exist as a niche player (going back to their roots), and they still need developers for that.

And 2.5billion is still something no matter how you spin it. And with the layoffs the cash bleed wont be as bad. At least they have money to continue for a little while.

His job is to inspire and motivate, create goals and create relationships. Thats exactly what he's doing. Alec for CEO!
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 10-01-13 at 06:42 PM.
    10-01-13 06:26 PM
    Really don't get this guy. First check out the CB blog post.

"When I started with the company in August of 2011, we had just over a billion dollars in cash. Today, we're sitting at $2.7 billion in cash. Still debt-free. ..

--is this really his measure of success???

Seems he is just out to lunch. Thoughts on the article or Alec's statements anyone?
    That quote on the cash and no debt is awful, with it he indicates no consideration for the 5000 employees layed off in 2012 and the next 4500... to keep the cash balance floating a bit longer. Out of touch for sure.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:26 PM
    S4BB did make a ton of apps. They aren't all city travel guides though. Those are actually not too bad. Gives a lot of info about a city you travel to. Many of those apps are e-books. The one that kills me is the many different colored flashlight apps. Because you know they couldn't make one with all the options. It was a way to get money from BlackBerry and BlackBerry understandably needed apps. They could have gone about it differently though. But what would have happened if S4BB didn't make all those apps? I wonder.

Back on topic. What did you guys expect Alec Saunders to say exactly? You can say it's delusional and speculate but you don't know him and you don't know what is going through his mind.
    10-01-13 06:35 PM
    He's been flying around in one of 2 Falcon Jet don't be silly! And what has he been doing? not sure, but he founded a new co outside on Blackberry with...guess who....his best pal from S4BB...whom he must have paid a large chunk of the $4M in award money that was paid to devs!!!

Yes, this guy goes to Jail or they open the books on how much money was paid to S4BB.
    Seems like a lot of people on here expect these corporate people to be martyrs or something, like, "No no, Mr. Heins. I won't fly on one of the company jets, I'll pay out of pocket to fly commercial." Flying on a corporate jet is a perk of his job (though just yesterday he tweeted about flying Air Canada).

I do wonder how much money was given to S4BB, because for the 10k Developer Commitment, each app had to have amassed $1,000 in sales within 12 months. You think all those garbage apps they made racked up $1,000 in sales EACH to collect $10,000?????? I don't think so!
    The Big Picture and badiyee like this.
    10-01-13 06:36 PM
    That quote on the cash and no debt is awful, with it he indicates no consideration for the 5000 employees layed off in 2012 and the next 4500... to keep the cash balance floating a bit longer. Out of touch for sure.

Posted via CB10
    I understand where you are coming from, but there really isnt any good points he can use to muster even though it may be just a smigen of confidence.

As for the people layed off. Its unfortunate for sure, but isnt it better than the likely alternative of the other 10,000 people also out of jobs because of liquidation or bankrupcy?

This way IF and thats a big IF they streamline, capture a niche successfully and grow again, they can create new jobs in a refreshed and healthy company.
    10-01-13 06:37 PM
    One clarification worth making: Alec is responsible for helping INDIVIDUAL developers. Netflix? Google? Instagram? That's Marty Mallick's department. I think the hill HE'S had to climb has been a pretty steep one, too, but the big devs weren't in Alec Saunders' portfolio.

When you look at everything that BlackBerry has done to make things easier for individual developers, like the traveling Jams, the VASTLY improved website and documentation, and the tools that have been upgraded regularly and are now almost as easy to use as Microsoft's, those ARE all things that have kept BB even marginally in the game, and those ARE all things that Alec can claim responsibility for.
    10-01-13 06:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    They were way over staffed. For a smaller company anyway. This was part of the restructuring that TH said was coming earlier in the year. They all knew this was coming...as did we, at least in the back of our minds anyway. I think they put out a solid product. I like my z10. Its gotten way better since the "olden" days. Let's see, when was that? 9 months ago? Software has come a long ways, guys. Give them some dam credit once in a while.
    10-01-13 06:48 PM
    He's vp of dev relations, not the company lol

Posted via CB10
    He's a VP in charge of developer relations. Are you saying he's not in charge of that area of Blackberry?
    10-01-13 06:48 PM
    Really don't get this guy. First check out the CB blog post.

BlackBerry's Alec Saunders: "We're definitely not going away" | CrackBerry.com

A few thoughts from Alec...

"We want people to think of our devices as mobile computing devices. We want them to think of them as a window onto the world around them. We want them to think of them as devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you. "

--once again, "mobile computing". No definition given yet or how it is better than the competition.

Seems he is just out to lunch. Thoughts on the article or Alec's statements anyone?
    Dude, he gave you a definition and you quoted it! "devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you". If you choose not to accept the answer, that's your problem.

Looking at their roadmap and SDK additions, this is totally backed up. Geofencing, miracast, NFC, etc. Stop thinking it as a phone, texter, web surfer, and open up to the possibilities of what the phone can do. They even demo'd how a rocking chair could be interfaced to be used in a game. Nearly all of the Tat demo's.

Their whole m2m and QNX also backs this up. Arduino hacking and blue tooth can make your phone control just about anything. Bat mobile! House automation is ripe for full integration to be powerful and useful, and I imagine cars in the next year or two as well.

With geo fencing and bluetooth, there is a s#it ton of stuff that can be done to interact with the world. Hopefully, we're see more of that in the next few months.

Stop trying to pull in the competition, it doesn't need to be mentioned (does Apple ever?). They are trying to open up a new market/world/way of thinking. Move forward and do something powerful, stop being a nit pick and attacking the guy.
    10-01-13 06:50 PM
    They were way over staffed. For a smaller company anyway. This was part of the restructuring that TH said was coming earlier in the year. They all knew this was coming...as did we, at least in the back of our minds anyway. I think they put out a solid product. I like my z10. Its gotten way better since the "olden" days. Let's see, when was that? 9 months ago? Software has come a long ways, guys. Give them some dam credit once in a while.
    Everyone seems to be talking about BlackBerry in general or Alec Saunders in general. What does everyone think about the statements in the article? I think it's all fluff /filler and has no substance.
    10-01-13 06:51 PM
    ^ (in reply to q10nutter) , I don't agree because they are cutting the jobs to keep the cash up and the company from sinking. The remark is ignorant coming from a supposed vp of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:51 PM
    Dude, he gave you a definition and you quoted it! "devices that interact well with other things that are in the real world around you, and do interesting and powerful and useful things for you". If you choose not to accept the answer, that's your problem.

Looking at their roadmap and SDK additions, this is totally backed up. Geofencing, miracast, NFC, etc. Stop thinking it as a phone, texter, web surfer, and open up to the possibilities of what the phone can do. They even demo'd how a rocking chair could be interfaced to be used in a game. Nearly all of the Tat demo's.

Their whole m2m and QNX also backs this up. Arduino hacking and blue tooth can make your phone control just about anything. Bat mobile! House automation is ripe for full integration to be powerful and useful, and I imagine cars in the next year or two as well.

With geo fencing and bluetooth, there is a s#it ton of stuff that can be done to interact with the world. Hopefully, we're see more of that in the next few months.

Stop trying to pull in the competition, it doesn't need to be mentioned (does Apple ever?). They are trying to open up a new market/world/way of thinking. Move forward and do something powerful, stop being a nit pick and attacking the guy.
    im sick of being told what the phone "can" do. Why doesn't it do it?
    10-01-13 06:53 PM
    Interesting thread.

We'll have to wait for a while before Alec Saunders could reply on this thread. If i'm not mistaken he did response before once on Crackberry.

And also responses from those indie developers that he helped to make sure the indie devs could make money on BlackBerry. What would their thoughts on Alec Saunders.

To me, Alec is a hero in BlackBerry for his supports to indie developers and creating opportunities for them. Not the person to be blame for the what's been happening to BlackBerry.
    And once again, Crackberry posted and article mentioning who is responsible to pull the Big Apps to BlackBerry. And his name is NOT Alec Saunders.
    10-01-13 06:54 PM
    Everyone seems to be talking about BlackBerry in general or Alec Saunders in general. What does everyone think about the statements in the article? I think it's all fluff /filler and has no substance.
    The statements he made are... spin-ish, sure, but not untruthful or offensive. What's with the hostility?
    AggreX, badiyee and lotuslanderz like this.
    10-01-13 06:57 PM
    The whole "mobile computing is the future... window onto the world around them...." is nothing but fabricated PR, self-important nonsense from BlackBerry.

It really translates: "We gonna keep repeating the same vague "vision" we did in 9 months ago hoping people still buy into it!".

It's only so much you can tout before people actually call them on their BS. The majority of BlackBerry users have had enough.
    10-01-13 07:03 PM
    im sick of being told what the phone "can" do. Why doesn't it do it?
    Sad....but true. it doesn't do it. I want it, and I want it NOW. This is the attitude that is a setup for disappointment. Me, I will be patient and wait to see what comes in the future. If they don't survive, then they don't. But I'm not going to sit there and bit** about something I have no control over.
    10-01-13 07:08 PM
    One clarification worth making: Alec is responsible for helping INDIVIDUAL developers. Netflix? Google? Instagram? That's Marty Mallick's department. I think the hill HE'S had to climb has been a pretty steep one, too, but the big devs weren't in Alec Saunders' portfolio.

When you look at everything that BlackBerry has done to make things easier for individual developers, like the traveling Jams, the VASTLY improved website and documentation, and the tools that have been upgraded regularly and are now almost as easy to use as Microsoft's, those ARE all things that have kept BB even marginally in the game, and those ARE all things that Alec can claim responsibility for.
    I can see your point Thunderbuck. This does make me think he's doing his job to a certain degree. I still think his department is partly responsible for the poor apps ecosystem though. He needs to tone down the spin and BS though. Half the time you need a thesaurus to work out what he's said. And then none of it makes sense.
    10-01-13 07:12 PM
184 1234 ...