Microsoft, RIM to unveil free hosted BlackBerry service, report suggests | BGR

Possibly the worse mistake MS is going to make in my opinion. Is it me or is MS starting to pimp itself out ever since Bill left the seat? Seems to me they're noticing that they cannot play in the mobile handset field and are reaching out to partner with all these other companies for hardware and NOW it seems software. MS should be concentrating on building out ActiveSync to house better policy push and control.

There are plenty of Hosted BES offerings out there, MS doesn't need to jump on that bandwagon.
    03-16-11 10:24 AM
    Well, I read this article, but I'm unclear as to whether this is for WinMo users or BlackBerry users. It is possible that I'm just misreading, but I'm not sure if there is a benefit to either company.

Again, I would like further thoughts from the CrackBerry Universe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 11:19 AM
    this just means BES users will have access to Office365 at no additional cost. Here is the presentation.

Blackberry now free with BPOS/Office 365
    03-16-11 12:26 PM
    Microsoft is in trouble in the mobile computing market and is desperate.

This author makes a valid point here, "If Microsoft wants to have a functional Windows Phone ecosystem, they pretty much have to have an app store and ad network. For now they have to give just about everything away (and even pay companies like Nokia to join the party) in order to build a non-trivial market share. If they're lucky they can charge real money for Windows Phone licenses at some point, but it's going to be a long haul."
    Microsoft Needs Mobile Money -- InformationWeek
    howarmat likes this.
    03-16-11 12:39 PM
    Does that mean if someone was thinking about a win7 phone they should think some more?
    03-16-11 01:26 PM
    Does that mean if someone was thinking about a win7 phone they should think some more?
    That's a given in my house anyway, especially if someone is thinking about a WP7 phone made by Samsung.

03-16-11 03:54 PM
    Even if this didn't happen, they should keep thinking. At least for now.
    03-16-11 04:02 PM
    Microsoft, RIM to unveil free hosted BlackBerry service, report suggests | BGR

Possibly the worse mistake MS is going to make in my opinion. Is it me or is MS starting to pimp itself out ever since Bill left the seat? Seems to me they're noticing that they cannot play in the mobile handset field and are reaching out to partner with all these other companies for hardware and NOW it seems software. MS should be concentrating on building out ActiveSync to house better policy push and control.

There are plenty of Hosted BES offerings out there, MS doesn't need to jump on that bandwagon.

I have to disagree with you,

This is a smart move for Microsoft, Office365 needs some major corporate backing, and big business still uses RIM devices, they don't use Android, and they don't use WinMo, so Microsoft needs to use the Smartphone relationship with RIM to promote their cloud service, RIM in turn gets more access to cloud service, AND opens up their devices to more clientle who wouldn't pay for BES in the past.

I know a few large company's using Microsofts Hosted Exchange service, getting BES added for free to them could help RIM's device sales, so they could be discounting to Microsoft,

WHAT I hope this will equal in the future is a better partnership with Microsoft and Blackberry in terms of OFFICE, I'd like to see Microsoft make MS Office for QNX, even if it is a Pay for app I'd pay $20-$30 for it on a playbook/QNX enabled blackberry, just to have the same feature sets as my desktop has.

Now I do agree Microsoft should continue to build on ActiveSync, they can't stop improving it, to get a more BES like experience, but Free BES ontop of Active Sync might just move some customers over to a hosted email solution if they were running a small BESX and Lotus network.
    03-16-11 04:43 PM
    Just so long as they make it possible to run on a Windows Vista/Windows 7 machine. And by this, I mean the server side of things.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 03-18-11 at 05:31 PM.
    03-18-11 05:28 PM
    Just so long as they make it possible to run on a Windows Vista/Windows 7 machine. And by this, I mean the server side of things.
    do you know what Hosted Exchange is??
    03-18-11 05:41 PM
    do you know what Hosted Exchange is??
    I just want a bloody BESX solution for my BlackBerry Curve + BlackBerry Torch...
    03-18-11 06:14 PM
    I just want a bloody BESX solution for my BlackBerry Curve + BlackBerry Torch...
    That has nothing to do with this announcement
    03-18-11 06:19 PM
    That has nothing to do with this announcement
    Well thankfully it isn't going to be such a big deal. Free Windows Server from MSDNAA. Plus free Exchange... man this is going to be bad-***
    03-18-11 06:47 PM
    @deRusett, he does not seem to be really reading what you write eh?

Anyway. I think this is good for RIM. Such partnership could both help keep some people in the platform and allow small business to jump in.
    03-18-11 10:59 PM
    @deRusett, he does not seem to be really reading what you write eh?

Anyway. I think this is good for RIM. Such partnership could both help keep some people in the platform and allow small business to jump in.
    I have a hard time believing he is literate at times.

I really hope small business does look at hosted solutions more, I see FAR too many small businesses maintaining their own servers and having issues because they don't have enough, or skilled enough IT people for that infrastructure. Microsoft really needs to push/promote their hosted service for companies with sub 100 email users.
    03-19-11 07:59 AM
    I have a hard time believing he is literate at times.

I really hope small business does look at hosted solutions more, I see FAR too many small businesses maintaining their own servers and having issues because they don't have enough, or skilled enough IT people for that infrastructure. Microsoft really needs to push/promote their hosted service for companies with sub 100 email users.
    The cloud offerings of RIM is a sleeping giant in terms of depth and reach! They have a wealth of resources and knowledge in networks like no other..

Now introduce QNX into the cloud platform...their is a reason and large truth as to why RIM stated they will lead the cloud offerings...enter QNX and their wealth of knowledge,expertise and experince...not to mention one of their preimer offerings is Server and router applications...RIM has the best resources and tech moving forward to develop and deploy services into the cloud!

Microsoft is just the toe in the door as far as partnerships go with the competition. Shortly we will see further announcements with Cisco and Google as far as cloud offerings go.

With the acquisition of QNX. Rim has strategicaly boxed in the competition as far as depth of industry reach goes. By that I imply RIM is the only company that can offer communications reach to the Millitary, Medical industry and aerospace, as well as full government reach...that is why the competition is forced to surrender a white flag and move forward with a collective offering, which in the long term will advance RIM as the premier platform...what that means for us? We'll have the best cloud offerings ...
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-19-11 at 07:56 PM.
    03-19-11 07:46 PM
    Don't see this as anything really interesting. Can use any other smartphone without a middleware solution, anyways.

Small Businesses are less inclined to mandate smartphone types than large corporations, so I see no real incentive this is for small businesses. Most of those buy their Exchange hosting from other places (without limitations on the number of accounts you have to buy, cheaper, etc.) and BES is still expensive elsewhere nor can you have BES hosted in house while using a hosted exchange provider (that's illogical, anyways).
    03-20-11 01:43 AM
    Don't see this as anything really interesting. Can use any other smartphone without a middleware solution, anyways.

Small Businesses are less inclined to mandate smartphone types than large corporations, so I see no real incentive this is for small businesses. Most of those buy their Exchange hosting from other places (without limitations on the number of accounts you have to buy, cheaper, etc.) and BES is still expensive elsewhere nor can you have BES hosted in house while using a hosted exchange provider (that's illogical, anyways).

Excuse me? many Exchange hosts have been offering MAPI connections since 2007! all you need a MAPI connection with the Exchange host and you can run a Hosted BES/BESX service, just takes a tiny bit of research and asking your Hosted provider...

as for you not seeing the advantage to this, that could be because of the nature of the business you do, I see this as a great solution for those who don't have IT departments but want to be on the same devices as the people they are trying to collaborate with, or sell too/ buy from.
    03-20-11 07:45 AM
    Microsoft is just the toe in the door as far as partnerships go with the competition. Shortly we will see further announcements with Cisco and Google as far as cloud offerings go.
    Cisco WebEx Mail is dead:
    I can't post links yet.
    03-23-11 02:55 PM
    So yeah, can BSkyB offer this MAPI connection to allow me a small 2-BlackBerry solution with regards to BESX. If so, then this partnership might work out for me in the end as they may offer a BES version in the MSDNAA Microsoft Exchange.
    03-24-11 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD