07-16-15 12:47 PM
55 123
tools
    I personally think if they are going to introduce an Android based product, they need to let some of the folks (carriers) know about it to get folks interested in the brand here again, create some excitement!!!!

For all the faithful out there, in case you haven't noticed, the brand is all but extinct here in the USA and when you do mention the Blackberry name in a conversation, no body really cares about it anymore and have moved on.

This is really sad for a person like myself who was a loyal user and Blackberry was my first smartphone and I traveled the world with my device and it never let me down.

At this point in time, they could use all the publicity they could get. They are not Apple or Android who already have their market share locked up and can keep their new products under wraps.

Blackberry needs to get the consumer and the corporate world excited again and so far, I haven't seen anything that's going to get someone looking at the brand again.
    Anshul_J, SenorPistachio and pbfan like this.
    07-11-15 05:40 AM
    How many companies do respond to rumours?

You don't see Microsoft or Apple going out of their way to quash every story that comes their way. Not addressing something is just the way business is done.
    Exactly. Might as well get him to set up an account and post on Crackberry while he's at it... :-|

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-11-15 07:07 AM
    I personally think if they are going to introduce an Android based product, they need to let some of the folks (carriers) know about it to get folks interested in the brand here again, create some excitement!!!!
    You can be sure that the C-suite folks at the carriers know what BB is doing - BB couldn't make this kind of move without talking to them first. It's also clear that those same folks have near-zero enthusiasm for BB10 - that can be seen in how they "carry" the products (online-only or limited stock), or with Sprint, the fact that they don't carry them at all.

There can be no doubt that BB talked with the carriers about any potential Android plans to see what the carriers thought about it. In the US at least, cell phone manufacturers NEED carrier support in order to be successful, and specifically for Verizon and Sprint, in order to sell anything at all, as the carriers have to specifically white-list each phone.
    07-11-15 01:34 PM
    Either way, it isn't long now... all rumours will be addressed.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 02:19 PM
    Keeping quiet until the right time is smart. Rumours = buzz = anticipation = publicity. Why stop people taking about your company and product until you have to. Let people put you back in the media spotlight.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 02:25 PM
    I know for many here, the story of the Osborne Computer company is before your time, but you might want to read about what the tech industry calls the Osborne Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Essentially, it is an example of announcing a future product too early, killing sales of your current product and thus costing you so much money that you aren't able to release your future product either...
    That's a blast from the past! Thanks for the memory....
    07-11-15 03:18 PM
    Keeping quiet until the right time is smart. Rumours = buzz = anticipation = publicity. Why stop people taking about your company and product until you have to. Let people put you back in the media spotlight.
    Especially if the rumor is true and you plan a high-profile roll-out like AT&T or something. If you are just doing some kind of region-specific trial balloon that you wouldn't want most people to think that you have something radically new coming.
    07-11-15 04:02 PM
    There are numerous reasons why BBRY shouldn't respond to rumors.

First... there are so friggin many of them (mostly false), that to respond to them all would paint an image of BBRY of not moving forwards if they constantly released "nope, sorry, not true" statements.

Second.... Responding to rumors could devastate any partnership negotiations. Suppose for a moment the rumored BB Android handsets is true; If the plan is not yet fully implemented or realized, any current negotiations BBRY is working on with OEMs to determine whether they want to do it can be skewed towards BBRY's disfavor. Resulting with BBRY scrapping the plan because they'd get screwed in the deal, and then having to deal with a plethora of bad press about how they lost the deal. Worse too, would be that BBRY was actually considering a move to Android devices, but had not yet approached any OEMs, and would then find that the initial reaction from the OEMs is that BBRY would have to pay through the nose to get their devices built because the OEMs have seen a glimmer of positive reaction to the news.

Third.... Most rumors are self inflicted rumors. Some schmoe on a fansite forum posts wild conjecture with little to no evidence, suddenly it becomes gospel, and there's a frenzy in the fan base world. These are not worth addressing, mainly because it's often better to not acknowledge click bait articles, because addressing false rumors often results in validating those false rumors.

Penned via Tapatalk
    07-11-15 04:06 PM
    +100 ^^^

And what Mr.Chen is gaining by not confirming or denying the rumor?
    Maybe the cheapest shares (12 mil.) buy-back ? They're discounted by +/- $20 mil. already ...
    07-11-15 06:22 PM
    +100 ^^^

Maybe the cheapest shares (12 mil.) buy-back ? They're discounted by +/- $20 mil. already ...
    The trading volume is 50m for last week. If 1/4 of the volume is bought by bbry, they has done the buy back.
    07-11-15 08:10 PM
    The trading volume is 50m for last week. If 1/4 of the volume is bought by bbry, they has done the buy back.
    Apparently Canadian trading rules prevent a company from buying more than 500k shares of its own stock on any given trading day... Which means BlackBerry needs 24 trading days to buy 12 million shares...

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-11-15 09:00 PM
    Why would a ceo waste his time commenting on rumors and speculation?. It's called ever onward. Who wants to get caught up in the media game?

Anyone who feels that BlackBerry should respond to these rumors have a vested interest in satisfying their own curiosity.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 09:22 PM
    BB has a lot of unsold BB10 phones, and so does BB's distribution partners. The day BB announces/confirms Android offerings, they'll essentially have to fire-sale the remaining BB10 products, which means a write-down. Chen would rather write down 20K BB10 phones than 200k BB10 phones, so by not confirming anything, he'll continue to get BB10 sales and deplete the inventory. If Android was announced, most potential customers would stop buying the EOL'd BB10 devices and wait for the Android ones that they knew would be supported in the future.

I know for many here, the story of the Osborne Computer company is before your time, but you might want to read about what the tech industry calls the Osborne Effect.

Essentially, it is an example of announcing a future product too early, killing sales of your current product and thus costing you so much money that you aren't able to release your future product either...
    "Osborne Effect", I was about to just make a post with just those two words, but this entire post puts it in perspective.

/thread
    07-11-15 09:47 PM
    "Osborne Effect", I was about to just make a post with just those two words, but this entire post puts it in perspective.

/thread
    BlackBerry did that with the Android runtime announcement for the PlayBook, and announcing BBX/BB10. Caused them to kill native development on the new platform and a lot of lost BB7 sales. Confirming Android would kill the pathetic sales they have now, and likely cost them some BES12 and corporate sales too.

Posted via Z30
    Djlatino likes this.
    07-11-15 10:06 PM
    Responding to all rumors just leads to a fishing expedition. "Let's float another rumor and see what they say." Also, as a publicly traded company, they have to be concerned with anything that could be considered a "forward-looking statement".

Speaking of rumors, how's that sapphire glass on those new iPhones?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-11-15 11:27 PM
    Oh.... maybe to keep their stock from being affected. Maybe to keep potential customers looking at BB10 from deciding that they aren't going to invest in a platform that might be about to go away?

When he has wanted too Chen has commented on rumors. So you do have to wonder why he wouldn't comment on this one, as it has now gone from being a rumor on a few fringe sites to making headline on almost every mainstream tech site. And very possible hurting the companies ability to gain new customers.
    The problem is not the commenting on rumors, the problem is what the press and the shorts are going to spin-doctor out of it. Whatever he says, it will be spun to BlackBerry's detriment.

Making a line of Android phones does not mean that the BB10 end-to-end secure offering is going to be abandoned, but that's probably the kind of speculation we would hear from a lot of voices...

:-D

  www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)  
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-12-15 12:59 AM
    BB has a lot of unsold BB10 phones, and so does BB's distribution partners. The day BB announces/confirms Android offerings, they'll essentially have to fire-sale the remaining BB10 products, which means a write-down. Chen would rather write down 20K BB10 phones than 200k BB10 phones, so by not confirming anything, he'll continue to get BB10 sales and deplete the inventory. If Android was announced, most potential customers would stop buying the EOL'd BB10 devices and wait for the Android ones that they knew would be supported in the future.

Being I am almost 60 and have been involved with computers since the beginning, I had an Osborne and a Kaypro machine and they both went the way of the dodo bird.

I also remember DR Dos and it was better then MS Dos in many ways, but timing and luck changed all that. Sounds like the current smartphone industry doesn't it???
    07-12-15 05:33 AM
    Because remember... rumors are carried by haters , spread by fools, and accepted by idiots. Why Chen and company should reply to rumors unless and until there is some concrete substance in it . BB10 is not dead that I know surely .
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    07-12-15 07:46 AM
    It's a case of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't". What ever he does, someone somewhere will find fault with it and insist it's the wrong direction.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-12-15 10:08 AM
    Shorter Chen: "We don't comment on every rumor or speculation, we just create them."
    07-12-15 12:20 PM
    Being I am almost 60 and have been involved with computers since the beginning, I had an Osborne and a Kaypro machine and they both went the way of the dodo bird.

I also remember DR Dos and it was better then MS Dos in many ways, but timing and luck changed all that. Sounds like the current smartphone industry doesn't it???
    I never knew anyone with an Osborne, but I did know someone with a Kaypro that I did a bit of work with, and I definitely used DR DOS (along with QAMM and DESQview) back in my pre-Windows computing days...

And, yes. The names change, but there are always winners and losers and great products that don't make it because of poor timing, poor marketing, or just bad luck.
    07-12-15 12:41 PM
    I never knew anyone with an Osborne, but I did know someone with a Kaypro that I did a bit of work with, and I definitely used DR DOS (along with QAMM and DESQview) back in my pre-Windows computing days...

And, yes. The names change, but there are always winners and losers and great products that don't make it because of poor timing, poor marketing, or just bad luck.
    What is/was QAMM? Or did you mean QEMM (which got me lots of contract implementation work along with other QuarterDeck products)?
    07-12-15 01:51 PM
    What is/was QAMM? Or did you mean QEMM (which got me lots of contract implementation work along with other QuarterDeck products)?
    Yes, QEMM (typo). QuarterDeck Extended Memory Manager. For those of us who actually DID need more than 640k... LOL!
    07-12-15 05:16 PM
    Yes, QEMM (typo). QuarterDeck Extended Memory Manager. For those of us who actually DID need more than 640k... LOL!
    I travelled round Europe tweaking installing & tweaking QEMM on broker's PCs..... I was young and slim in those days (and I had hair!).
    07-12-15 05:22 PM
    I travelled round Europe tweaking installing & tweaking QEMM on broker's PCs..... I was young and slim in those days (and I had hair!).
    Hahaha.... there was a time when I was the master of tweaking QEMM and later making custom multiboot CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files for DOS 6.

I remember my friends being amazed the first time they saw the inside of my computer that I had every expansion slot filled, and everything worked, back in the days when cards all had jumpers to manually set IRQs & DMAs. Games were all DOS-based and needed extensive tweaking (of each individual game) to get the right drivers loaded in order for the game to run. We've come so far...
    07-13-15 01:05 AM
55 123