07-16-15 11:47 AM
55 123
tools
    I couldn't understand why Mr.Chen doesn't comment on rumors. From last few months, there has been rumor of Android based blackberry mobile and Blackberry has neither confirmed nor denied the rumor. Why? Wouldn't it help in marketing, if they announced ( if they really working on it) that Android on BB is coming? And what Mr.Chen is gaining by not confirming or denying the rumor? The same is with the OS update, they never officially announced whether an update is coming or not and if its coming when it will be available, this also we know from the rumors from so called "reliable source". Obviously, Blackberry has less than 1% share in the smartphones market worldwide because it has worst marketing strategy.

" There is some truth in every rumor"

blackberry forever, android junk never.
    dalinxz likes this.
    07-10-15 12:32 PM
    I like Mr. Chen.. but sometimes i wish he could be a little more like John Legere from T-Mobile. Would be nice to see him stand up and tell some people to F off.. or to shut up. There are times you should comment on rumors. As a BB customer I need to hear something from BB on a rumor.
    07-10-15 12:59 PM
    How many companies do respond to rumours?

You don't see Microsoft or Apple going out of their way to quash every story that comes their way. Not addressing something is just the way business is done.
    07-10-15 01:05 PM
    Maybe John Chen feels that it would be too big of a spoiler, so he wants to keep the news a secret. I really wish he would come out about this one though...
    07-10-15 01:12 PM
    That's the standard response, especially when the rumors a true. There's not much to be gained from keeping it quiet anymore because just about every article on BlackBerry includes an assumption that one or more Android devices are coming. The silence causes people to read between the lines.
    07-10-15 01:14 PM
    Plus how many of the small number of people buying BB10 devices now are going to buy them going forward. They'll either wait and see what flushes out or buy one on another platform. In other words Chen has a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue every quarter and saying 'yeah its true we're going Android in six months' is tripping yourself up.
    dalinxz, TGR1 and neoberry99 like this.
    07-10-15 01:29 PM

You don't see Microsoft or Apple going out of their way to quash every story that comes their way. Not addressing something is just the way business is done.
    Apple and Microsoft don't have an image problem and you can be damned sure if something did happen, they would discredit any rumour immediately!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 01:31 PM
    He doesn't comment on rumors in case rumors turn out to be true, or maybe they're false today but could be true tomorrow.

What I keep going back to is the "BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook" thing. It was TRUE one day and then FALSE the next. And that wasn't a rumor, that was announced by BlackBerry.

John Chen doesn't want to paint himself (or the company) into a corner, where people (on these very forums) would point back and say, "HE LIED!!!!" He's just playing the game.
    07-10-15 01:33 PM
    Plus how many of the small number of people buying BB10 devices now are going to buy them going forward. They'll either wait and see what flushes out or buy one on another platform. In other words Chen has a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue every quarter and saying 'yeah its true we're going Android in six months' is tripping yourself up.
    If Blackberry is going for android then it is only to maximize their mobile sell so by announcing, wouldn't they be making the shareholders happy? Don't you think, the shareholders have been aware of this rumor and they also want to know. You are right about "Chen has a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue every quarter" but by not clarifying, its not helping them much either.
    07-10-15 01:55 PM
    Why would someone waste their time, energy and precious resources on rumor comments. Focus on task and be ever onward!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 02:30 PM
    If Blackberry is going for android then it is only to maximize their mobile sell so by announcing, wouldn't they be making the shareholders happy? Don't you think, the shareholders have been aware of this rumor and they also want to know. You are right about "Chen has a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue every quarter" but by not clarifying, its not helping them much either.
    How many people will hold off buying now if a rumor is confirmed? How many will abandon the platform due to not liking the confirmation? How will the stock behave once BlackBerry is potentially just another Android OEM?

Besides, with all the rumors going around, BBRY wouldn't get any business done if they had to follow and refute each one.
    07-10-15 02:59 PM
    How many people will hold off buying now if a rumor is confirmed? How many will abandon the platform due to not liking the confirmation? How will the stock behave once BlackBerry is potentially just another Android OEM?

Besides, with all the rumors going around, BBRY wouldn't get any business done if they had to follow and refute each one.
    So, basically, it means that if bb is not commenting on rumor ( or announcing early for shareholder's sake), they are definitely confirming the rumor, if there is no Android coming then there is no point of not denying the rumor.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-10-15 03:17 PM
    While i understand you can't comment on everything rumoured, i really, REALLY don't understand why all this Android info has to be kept a secret. Outside us Crackberry-addicts, no one really cares about Blackberry, and if they did, it's sure as hell not ideal to be waiting until the product gets announced to slip out some tasty information.

I get the feeling that Mr. Chen thinks Blackberry is some sort of Apple or Samsung type company, but they need all the publicity they can get, not to mention the almost total lack of marketing BB has. People don't care about Blackberry, so you can't announce a phone in October that goes on sale in November, you just can't when you're not a player. I just don't get it. I am not sure they will show 'the Slider' @ the MWC next month. At this point i am fairly certain the design of the Venice model is finalized, so why not show us something like that, let something leak for god's sake. ( not talking about the crappy render btw )
    dalinxz and Anshul_J like this.
    07-10-15 03:17 PM
    I think he isn't saying anything cuz he can't deny it but doesn't want to confirm it cuz it will make ppl leave BlackBerry or get really angry. The stocks would drop like crazy too

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 03:21 PM
    Why would someone waste their time, energy and precious resources on rumor comments. Focus on task and be ever onward!

Posted via CB10
    Oh.... maybe to keep their stock from being affected. Maybe to keep potential customers looking at BB10 from deciding that they aren't going to invest in a platform that might be about to go away?

When he has wanted too Chen has commented on rumors. So you do have to wonder why he wouldn't comment on this one, as it has now gone from being a rumor on a few fringe sites to making headline on almost every mainstream tech site. And very possible hurting the companies ability to gain new customers.
    07-10-15 03:30 PM

It's BlackBerry

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    07-10-15 03:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure he did. He said "If BlackBerry can secure android then we will make androids". That's pretty clear to me, they are working on it, but aren't sure if it's going to work, or when it will be ready.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 03:35 PM
    I'm pretty sure he did. He said "If BlackBerry can secure android then we will make androids". That's pretty clear to me, they are working on it, but aren't sure if it's going to work, or when it will be ready.
    There's no way he says this if he really thinks it might not work. His most important product is BES12 securing Android or his domain name isn't androidecured.com. What's he going to say at the end of the year, "Well, we tried, but there simply is no way to secure Android smartphones."
    07-10-15 03:44 PM
    The rumor is BlackBerry is going to Android. If he confirms that early what do you suppose it does to the market for "lame duck" BB10 devices? He'll want to sell as many as possible before abandoning them like the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-10-15 05:58 PM
    They have to be able to make an unrootable phone in order to call the phone itself "secure".

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 08:50 PM
    There's no way he says this if he really thinks it might not work. His most important product is BES12 securing Android or his domain name isn't androidecured.com. What's he going to say at the end of the year, "Well, we tried, but there simply is no way to secure Android smartphones."
    Chen: BlackBerry will build an Android smartphone only if it can make it secure enough
    Here is the link
    Chen: BlackBerry will build an Android smartphone only if it can make it secure enough
    07-10-15 09:02 PM
    It's free Press. There hasn't been this much excitement for anything BlackBerry since the BB10 launch. Even if it isn't true, why say so then have al these hopeful articles turn to bashing now and not 6 months from now.

Posted via Z30
    07-10-15 09:04 PM
    They did for a while.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/category...ry-fact-check/

But then they realized the facts they started carrying could mean the death of BlackBerry if they got out. So they clammed up.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    07-10-15 09:15 PM
    BB has a lot of unsold BB10 phones, and so does BB's distribution partners. The day BB announces/confirms Android offerings, they'll essentially have to fire-sale the remaining BB10 products, which means a write-down. Chen would rather write down 20K BB10 phones than 200k BB10 phones, so by not confirming anything, he'll continue to get BB10 sales and deplete the inventory. If Android was announced, most potential customers would stop buying the EOL'd BB10 devices and wait for the Android ones that they knew would be supported in the future.

I know for many here, the story of the Osborne Computer company is before your time, but you might want to read about what the tech industry calls the Osborne Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Essentially, it is an example of announcing a future product too early, killing sales of your current product and thus costing you so much money that you aren't able to release your future product either...
    07-11-15 12:32 AM
    It's happening, whether he admits it openly or not, he clearly said, they are a software company and are not getting out of the hardware as long as they make money, with BES12 and their applications and support to other platform and recent agreement with Google, they could build an android device with BlackBerry skin, and they have kept to his word. He knows that a secure android fits within the overall software proposition and company core value that it is known for.

When he says they will not get out of hardware, he never says using bb10.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 03:45 AM
55 123