View Poll Results: Agree or not with: "This is the beginning of the end for mobile hardware, its just too commodit

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree, Mobile Hardware Margins Get Crushed

15 42.86%
  • No, there will always be demand for Higher End Phones

20 57.14%
11-19-13 08:45 PM
50 12
tools
    Holy cr@p!
    look at this phone:

Motorolla Moto G

Quad Core/ 720P

What more do People want? Forget samsung S3, Forget Iphone5, Forget (in case you have not already) Z10.

$179? Really? vs $600 for the other phones?
    Poirots Progeny and Mack Gans like this.
    11-13-13 07:19 PM
    No expandable memory(SD card support), No LTE, Android 4.3(jelly bean on a brand new device?(but you will get an update next January to kitkat 4.4, 2015)), Sorry I'll keep my Z10 and have all those missing features, plus more.

If all that excites you is 720P and quad core CPU's, then sure this is the phone for you. If you prefer device with all those missing features and more, along with premium materials(not plastic), then there will always be room for a high end device line. Some people don't mind paying a bit more for quality products, myself included. Theres a reason why macbooks sell well even though I think they have an exorbitant price when compared to their windows counterparts.
    11-13-13 07:40 PM
    It's what I said in another thread about this. Basically going towards 'state issued' devices paid for by whatever sellable information they can collect from your usage, or by eye-ball advertising hours. One way or another... nothing is being given out for free.
    Bratza and damien kupuku like this.
    11-13-13 07:43 PM
    Hold on now. It's 1.2ghz and 3g only. And 5mp camera. Even for 200 bucks I wouldn't buy that

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-13-13 10:16 PM
    ive said it before, and ill say it again; low end qwerty keyboards devices is where blackberry can find its niche.

nobody else is making qwerty devices anymore, but there is still a market that can keep blackberry going ) obviously not as the market leader it was before.

Q5 was a fail both in pricing and bland design. Even if it drops to 200 it probably wont sell due to its sheer ugliness. BB can do much better here.
    11-13-13 10:25 PM
    Wow a cheap android phone that's aweso.....Oh wait almost every OEM makes a low end android phone.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    Mack Gans likes this.
    11-13-13 10:41 PM
    This further proves why the Q5 should be priced between 225-250 dollars off contract
    11-13-13 11:12 PM
    Motorola only sold 500,000 MotoX thus far. The low end market is even more crowded.

Thankfully blackberry has many software businesses paying the bills.

Doesn't look good for moto and htc.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:37 PM
    LOL. Specs are important all of a sudden

Anyway, if they are, there is a phone with thrice the specs and half the price of the flagship BB.
    11-13-13 11:41 PM
    No expandable memory(SD card support), No LTE, Android 4.3(jelly bean on a brand new device?(but you will get an update next January to kitkat 4.4, 2015)), Sorry I'll keep my Z10 and have all those missing features, plus more.

If all that excites you is 720P and quad core CPU's, then sure this is the phone for you. If you prefer device with all those missing features and more, along with premium materials(not plastic), then there will always be room for a high end device line. Some people don't mind paying a bit more for quality products, myself included.
    I noticed you made no mention of the huge difference in ecosystem.

If a 'High-end" device that basically does nothing more than basic communication, then it's the phone for you. If you want to be productive while also having fun - then you have to look elsewhere.

The market has proven time and time again why your "high end" device is a massive failure - because there are thousands and thousands of features it's missing - all those apps.
    11-13-13 11:41 PM
    Motorola only sold 500,000 MotoX thus far. The low end market is even more crowded.

Thankfully blackberry has many software businesses paying the bills.

Doesn't look good for moto and htc.

Posted via CB10
    No, BB software business is not paying much of the bills.

Speaking of software-generated revenues and diversification they provide, I hope you are aware that Moto is owned by Google.
    11-13-13 11:43 PM
    I noticed you made no mention of the huge difference in ecosystem.

If a 'High-end" device that basically does nothing more than basic communication, then it's the phone for you. If you want to be productive while also having fun - then you have to look elsewhere.

The market has proven time and time again why your "high end" device is a massive failure - because there are thousands and thousands of features it's missing - all those apps.
    Meh. I need expandable memory. Swappable battery and LTE. It's a nice device most likely at a loss for Google. I'm sure it will do fine but I don't buy Google so it isn't for me.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    11-13-13 11:46 PM
    OP, just a thought - The two options you have on the poll aren't really mutually exclusive. You can have diminishing margins for smartphones in general, but still have high-end/premium phones.
    h20work likes this.
    11-13-13 11:54 PM
    It will be similar to the car market. People will be willing to pay for a status symbol and or paying a higher price for a higher quality item. Apple will try to be the BMW/Mercedes/Audi, BB is a Volvo. Android is General Motors, many brands, many similarities among each brand.
    11-14-13 12:14 AM
    Ultimately, the Moto G is more bad news for BlackBerry.

It don't matter what the phone may lack, all that matters is it will sell. And each one sold is another customer that won't be in the market for a new smartphone any time soon.

We already saw what the Lumia 520 and 521 did. Those phones are still selling very well. Far better than any BlackBerry in recent years. The Moto G has Android behind it and I'd be very surprised if it don't do better than even the 520/521 did.

It's a shame. BlackBerry really should have made an ultra-affordable BB10 option while the opportunity was there. Now that the Moto G is here, it wouldn't even matter. Who would get excited about a Q5 like device for $200 off contract when the same money will buy a Moto G?

BlackBerry needs to throw in the towel and give up on hardware. They simply can't create competitive devices.
    11-14-13 12:15 AM
    basic communication
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I personally think that the reason is because of the general perception of BlackBerry. Not once has someone said to me, when I asked why they didn't get a BlackBerry 10 phone, that it doesn't have enough apps. It's because the general public are not educated enough of BlackBerry's merits. Only BlackBerry is to blame for this.

Heck, someone was recommended the iPhone 5S over the BlackBerry Z30 because the iPhone can copy and paste. WOW!!!! BRAND NEW AND GAME CHANGING INFORMATION!!!!

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-14-13 12:17 AM
    I personally think that the reason is because of the general perception of BlackBerry. Not once has someone said to me, when I asked why they didn't get a BlackBerry 10 phone, that it doesn't have enough apps. It's because the general public are not educated enough of BlackBerry's merits. Only BlackBerry is to blame for this.
    I attended a dinner for interns that ConocoPhillips was interviewing and one thing the manager mentioned was innovation and technological advancement. One of the first things he said was how they transitioned from using BlackBerrys to using iPhones. General perception among a large number of people is that BlackBerry just isn't comparable. A professor of mine asked who had the old people government phone, then he said "I mean a BlackBerry". In a room of about 30, I was the only person. 25 of them had iPhones, the rest the Samsung Galaxy
    mikeycollins13 likes this.
    11-14-13 12:24 AM
    When will you learn cores and Ghz do not mean it's fast/powerful?

Besides, whether the hardware is good or not, you don't get anything for free. I cheap price is there for a reason and I for one will never buy a phone on the merits of hardware alone, at any rate.

Q10 everytime.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:26 AM
    3g? SIKE.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-14-13 12:40 AM
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Heck, someone was recommended the iPhone 5S over the BlackBerry Z30 because the iPhone can copy and paste. WOW!!!! BRAND NEW AND GAME CHANGING INFORMATION!!!!

What are the merits you speak of?

Can you list a single one that Android and iOS doesn't already have that the masses actually cares about?
    11-14-13 12:42 AM
    Ultimately, the Moto G is more bad news for BlackBerry.

It don't matter what the phone may lack, all that matters is it will sell. And each one sold is another customer that won't be in the market for a new smartphone any time soon.

We already saw what the Lumia 520 and 521 did. Those phones are still selling very well. Far better than any BlackBerry in recent years. The Moto G has Android behind it and I'd be very surprised if it don't do better than even the 520/521 did.

It's a shame. BlackBerry really should have made an ultra-affordable BB10 option while the opportunity was there. Now that the Moto G is here, it wouldn't even matter. Who would get excited about a Q5 like device for $200 off contract when the same money will buy a Moto G?

BlackBerry needs to throw in the towel and give up on hardware. They simply can't create competitive devices.

The war between Microsoft and Google has begun no doubt about that.

I always had a feeling that apple will someday become irrelevant cause they don't have much investments in stuff while Microsoft and Google have a lot. Plus WP and Android are targeting the next billions of people who need a smartphone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Saiga and Etios like this.
    11-14-13 12:44 AM
    The war between Microsoft and Google has begun no doubt about that.

I always had a feeling that apple will someday become irrelevant cause they don't have much investments in stuff while Microsoft and Google have a lot. Plus WP and Android are targeting the next billions of people who need a smartphone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Apple has to be worried about phones like the Moto G. Phones like it make it harder and harder for Apple to justify the ridiculous margins they charge. Great for consumers though. We should all hope phones like the Moto G and 520 become very successful. In the end it would just force prices down across the board.
    kbz1960, techvisor and Etios like this.
    11-14-13 01:15 AM
    This and the new Nexus are two very tempting devices for the price. I love my Z10 but can't handle the issues(random daily resets) and the app gap anymore.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 03:56 AM
    Apple has to be worried about phones like the Moto G. Phones like it make it harder and harder for Apple to justify the ridiculous margins they charge. Great for consumers though. We should all hope phones like the Moto G and 520 become very successful. In the end it would just force prices down across the board.
    These are my feelings exactly. Apple is going to start to feel this soon?

as for Blackberry, sad but irrelevant in hardware.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-14-13 04:01 AM

If all that excites you is 720P and quad core CPU's, then sure this is the phone for you. If you prefer device with all those missing features and more, along with premium materials(not plastic), then there will always be room for a high end device line. Some people don't mind paying a bit more for quality products, myself included. Theres a reason why macbooks sell well even though I think they have an exorbitant price when compared to their windows counterparts.
    You also have to keep in mind that this phone has Google Play so by default people will opt for this device for the apps alone.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and mikeycollins13 like this.
    11-14-13 04:04 AM
50 12