06-02-15 08:39 AM
116 1234 ...
tools
    To much negativity here for my liking. Chen doing the right thing. Judging by the kicking and screaming shorts Chen is on the right track. Go Chen go while rocking my iphone killer passport. Yup I returned the most expensive outdated phone on the market today (iphone6) for the most unique and advanced passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:04 PM
    I thought the Classic and Leap were made by Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:09 PM
    I thought the Classic and Leap were made by Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know, the only Foxconn device was the Z3.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:53 PM
    As far as I know, the only Foxconn device was the Z3.

Posted via CB10
    Classic is also made by Foxconn.
    05-23-15 06:29 PM
    I think people in here are going to be turning on Chen about a month from now. All these moves point to an end of BlackBerry devices and likely BB10, unless the buyer wants the OS.

Posted via Z30
    techvisor likes this.
    05-23-15 07:08 PM
    Well, I will make a prediction. BB10 will continue given its strengths in security but the towel is being thrown in on BB10 applications and BB world as we know it. I suspect BlackBerry will come out and fully support Android Apps within a fully supported container. With this design, Samsung can provide full hardware support for a slider and a full touch screen without moving away from its Android focus. I suspect this is the end game that Chen has alluded to.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 07:21 PM
    That's not so bad. Then Chen's wife will be able to have Viber sync contacts! I tried 3 different versions of it today on my Z30 and none synced or activated properly.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 07:28 PM
    To much negativity here for my liking. Chen doing the right thing. Judging by the kicking and screaming shorts Chen is on the right track. Go Chen go while rocking my iphone killer passport. Yup I returned the most expensive outdated phone on the market today (iphone6) for the most unique and advanced passport.

Posted via CB10
    More job cuts, continued downward spiraling of marketshare... Sorry but I fail to understand how this could be perceived as "doing the right thing." Unless this was actually JC's intention from the start of his tenure. Hidden agenda maybe?

Posted from an ME173X
    05-23-15 07:38 PM
    I think people in here are going to be turning on Chen about a month from now. All these moves point to an end of BlackBerry devices and likely BB10, unless the buyer wants the OS.

Posted via Z30
    That's a fast guess IMHO.
    Rationalization continues and Chen has probably already planned outsourced production for next devices.
    Makes sense when you don't want to build large amounts of stocks to avoid inventory.
    Still we don't know what part/kind of HW employees will be fired. Say there's a majority of R&D and I may question myself.
    Otherwise ... that's just pragmatic and efficient, while it's sad and I feel sorry for those - of "our family" - who are about to lose their jobs.
    Supa_Fly1, Flatman, mago72 and 2 others like this.
    05-23-15 07:40 PM
    Sounds like the market likes the direction of BlackBerry the article says stocks have risen 62% on the TSX and more than 44% NASDAQ in the past 12 months.

Posted via CB10
    Stocks rose on Friday due to their share buyback program that was readily approved by shareholders. This news came AFTER stock markets closed in North Amercia and TSE:BB/NASDAQ:BB is the only markets that trade BlackBerry. You'll see the results of this announcement on Monday morning.
    05-23-15 08:42 PM
    That's a fast guess IMHO.
    Rationalization continues and Chen has probably already planned outsourced production for next devices.
    Makes sense when you don't want to build large amounts of stocks to avoid inventory.
    Still we don't know what part/kind of HW employees will be fired. Say there's a majority of R&D and I may question myself.
    Otherwise ... that's just pragmatic and efficient, while it's sad and I feel sorry for those - of "our family" - who are about to lose their jobs.
    Agreed! I don't feel so sorry ...many already on the last 7K job let-go got jobs at Apple, Google, Samsung etc. Also severance pay will help them quite a bit along with internally help to find new jobs! Still it's an impact on their mentality and their families.

I honestly believe this leads to Samsung hardware partnership. Foxxcon makes devices with assembly plants. Samsung makes the RAM, STORAGE, AMOLED screens, innovations with bent & hardening/strengthening Gorilla glass (LG is the only other player in this space) and CPU's ... VERY competitive CPU's to Qualcomm. Broadcomm does basebands so you'll see huge synergies there.

Departments I pray are NOT affected:
    R&D specifically with basebands, radio technologies - that we've seen in Z30 + Passport
    Innovative designs - that we've seen on the Passport.

^ those two right there are CRITICAL. I don't want a BB branded Samsung I want a BB with samsung parts and designs and innovations from BlackBerry!
    05-23-15 08:48 PM
    From the MacLeans report: BlackBerry to cut jobs across global operations - Macleans.ca

“As the company moves into its next stage of the turnaround, our intention is to re-allocate resources in ways that will best enable us to capitalize on growth opportunities while driving toward sustainable profitability across all facets of our business,” the company said in an emailed statement.

BlackBerry had about 7,000 global employees as of September 2014. About half worked in Canada, with most of them in the Waterloo region.

BlackBerry said it plans to boost sales and marketing activity in the coming months, as well as secure strategic partnerships with other businesses and hire more employees focused both on sales and “high growth” areas of its business.

The latest round of job cuts comes after chief executive John Chen said last August that BlackBerry had come to the end of three years of layoffs.

Chen has been focused on shifting BlackBerry’s priorities since he joined the company in November 2013. However, he has faced an onslaught of competition from other phone manufacturers including Apple, which first wanted a slice of the consumer market but is now aggressively pursuing large corporate clients.

Instead of making smartphones a priority, Chen has pivoted BlackBerry’s strategy towards mobile software services that emphasize higher security levels and are aimed squarely at the business community and government.

BlackBerry began to turn a small profit last year, but the overall revenues of its phones and software services continue to decline.
    05-23-15 09:09 PM
    More job cuts, continued downward spiraling of marketshare... Sorry but I fail to understand how this could be perceived as "doing the right thing." Unless this was actually JC's intention from the start of his tenure. Hidden agenda maybe?

Posted from an ME173X
    No hidden agenda of any kind. The man is only doing his job. Sucks but it is what it is.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 09:50 PM
    More dead wood cleaned out.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    05-23-15 10:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Excellent post and excellent move.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 10:46 PM

Posted via Z30
    Unfortunately I think you are right.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 10:52 PM
    http://ca.blackberry.com/company/car...reerStatus=3,5 out with the old in with the new? Adobe flash required to view content

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-23-15 10:57 PM
    To much negativity here for my liking. Chen doing the right thing. Judging by the kicking and screaming shorts Chen is on the right track. Go Chen go while rocking my iphone killer passport...
    Depends on how you look at it. If all that matters is BlackBerry's survival as a company and the rise in its stock price, maybe so. If you are a consumer who wants to continue enjoying BlackBerry devices and BB10, the current path is more questionable!

For me, I am a consumer who has enjoyed using the BB devices and BB10. If the time ever comes that I will no longer have access to these, I would no longer care if BlackBerry survives or not!
    05-23-15 11:11 PM
    They do have a deal with Foxconn. Chen have made it clear that he's laying off all manufacturing plants and sourcing out Foxconn to produce their hardware. I think this is where people are getting the "hardware" term confused. It does not means the end of the hardware engineering departments but if look at a different perspective it's actually factory hardware production workers that are laid off. Last I checked the Mexico plant is still open because that's where our Passport are made. None of these layoff articles are clear to which department is being laid off specifically.

Chen is basically adopting Apple manufacturing business model. Apple design and engineer their own phones, sends a prototype to Foxcon and they will mass produce the final product for Apple.

Going Android doesn't get you out of hardware. All of the Android OEM are hardware companies, not software. This move would be getting out of phones altogether and relying on the BlackBerry Experience Suite, or working out a deal with Samsung and/or Foxconn to build all hardware. I'm fine with the latter, but if they abandon hardware for SAAS then I'll just go to another solution and wipe BlackBerry from trusted vendors list.

Also he waited till the quiet period so he doesn't have to address this till the conference call. I really don't trust this guy at all.

Posted via Z30
    BeautyEh and Sulaco757 like this.
    05-24-15 12:06 AM
    It seems that the Blackberry will outsource the manufacturing of their phones . only that. The Samsung walks very near this area, as the screen for the slider
    05-24-15 12:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Based on your posts history you said you returned the iphone 6 several times on different dates spanning months ....apparently you returned something that you probably never had. I do not understand what is the point of your statements.
    05-24-15 12:16 AM
    These articles are not clear at. They are painting a negative picture but in actuality it's a positive outcome. They don't specify that most of these jobs lost are from BlackBerry run factories that is costing them more to produce then by outsourcing to Asian companies with their expertise in manufacturing can produce better and cheaper phones.

Don't forget our beloved Passport is still made in Mexico which is the last plant that BlackBerry have left. The Passport could be the last phones we will see made in Mexico. Moving forward, the Classic and Leap is now made in China by Foxconn.

From the beginning when Chen came to power, he made it clear that he was going to shut down all factory and call on Foxconn to make their phones. Now that they eliminated the manufacturing business, they can focus their energy and resources on other important things like sales and marketing.

Agreed! I don't feel so sorry ...many already on the last 7K job let-go got jobs at Apple, Google, Samsung etc. Also severance pay will help them quite a bit along with internally help to find new jobs! Still it's an impact on their mentality and their families.

I honestly believe this leads to Samsung hardware partnership. Foxxcon makes devices with assembly plants. Samsung makes the RAM, STORAGE, AMOLED screens, innovations with bent & hardening/strengthening Gorilla glass (LG is the only other player in this space) and CPU's ... VERY competitive CPU's to Qualcomm. Broadcomm does basebands so you'll see huge synergies there.

Departments I pray are NOT affected:
    R&D specifically with basebands, radio technologies - that we've seen in Z30 + Passport
    Innovative designs - that we've seen on the Passport.

^ those two right there are CRITICAL. I don't want a BB branded Samsung I want a BB with samsung parts and designs and innovations from BlackBerry!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-24-15 12:31 AM
    Depends on how you look at it. If all that matters is BlackBerry's survival as a company and the rise in its stock price, maybe so. If you are a consumer who wants to continue enjoying BlackBerry devices and BB10, the current path is more questionable!

For me, I am a consumer who has enjoyed using the BB devices and BB10. If the time ever comes that I will no longer have access to these, I would no longer care if BlackBerry survives or not!
    The path to outsourcing their hardware business and diverting money to marketing and software is the right path.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 01:51 AM
    As long as they're still coming out with devices, I'm fine with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 02:28 AM
    The path to outsourcing their hardware business and diverting money to marketing and software is the right path.
    I wouldn't mind that either as long as the outsourced hardware and the developed software will also be available to the consumers (like me), not just the enterprises.
    05-24-15 04:11 AM
116 1234 ...