06-02-15 08:39 AM
116 123 ...
tools
    05-23-15 05:49 AM
    Sounds like the market likes the direction of BlackBerry the article says stocks have risen 62% on the TSX and more than 44% NASDAQ in the past 12 months.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:54 AM
    Sounds like they are preparing for an acquisition

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 06:11 AM
    This is old news and relates to the TAT acquisition a few years back. Unfortunately, TAT turned out to be heavy on talk but light on practical applications.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 08:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    So then how do you explain the stock buy back and Perm talking a bigger position? Both moves would counter acquisition efforts.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-23-15 08:05 AM
    This is old news and relates to the TAT acquisition a few years back. Unfortunately, TAT turned out to be heavy on talk but light on practical applications.

Posted via CB10
    Actually it turned out that BlackBerry had TAT work up a bunch of cool concepts and demos, made it sound like they were going to incorporate those things into the PlayBook and BB10, and never did. More bait to sell devices IMHO. They had great UI credibility, BlackBerry did not. Some of it got in, but you could tell that the TAT guys were not properly leveraged. BlackBerry bought a bunch of companies around then either failed to leverage and sold them off, or just let them die like Score loop. Given BlackBerry's horrible track record with acquisitions, especially at that time and how utterly dysfunctional the BlackBerry was then, I wouldn't place the blame on TAT.

Posted via Z30
    1magine likes this.
    05-23-15 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Buy acquisition, do you mean acquire or sell?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:25 PM
    Having worked there, TAT had so many ideas we saw internally everyone wanted to see these realized you can squarely blame the old leadership for totally screwing up the company. We had all the pieces in place but politics, poor decision making, hiring AT&T leadership killed our ability to compete. Blame shareholders for not taking control. When iPhone came out the writing was on the wall and we knew it.
    05-23-15 12:57 PM
    Sounds like the market likes the direction of BlackBerry the article says stocks have risen 62% on the TSX and more than 44% NASDAQ in the past 12 months.

Posted via CB10
    Puzzling...

BlackBerry, which reported a 16.8 percent fall in quarterly revenue in March,
    05-23-15 01:10 PM
    In some ways, I feel vindicated after seeing what's happened it shouldn't have but blogging internally to appeal to upper management to do something got nowhere. Only in the end did they themselves get tossed out. I've moved on to Android, rooted my phone and do what I need. I wish the new BlackBerry the best though.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 01:11 PM
    Makes me concerned for BB10. I'm not sure if Chen really wants to keep it around longer term.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 01:39 PM
    N4BB reporting this is confirmed and most of the cuts are on the hardware side. Chen has let the hardware division die by releasing devices few want. A year of development and all he conjured up was the Classic and Leap. Hell be so happy when BlackBerry is SAAS only because that is what he is comfortable with. Sad that many have cheered this man on while he has lit the hardware division on fire and watched it burn.

Posted via Z30
    05-23-15 01:49 PM
    mobilesyrup has confirmed it as well. I am skeptical of the hardware that may come out. I feel as if Chen is saying one thing and then boom no more devices.
    MarsupilamiX and dalinxz like this.
    05-23-15 02:35 PM
    N4BB reporting this is confirmed and most of the cuts are on the hardware side. Chen has let the hardware division die by releasing devices few want. A year of development and all he conjured up was the Classic and Leap. Hell be so happy when BlackBerry is SAAS only because that is what he is comfortable with. Sad that many have cheered this man on while he has lit the hardware division on fire and watched it burn.

Posted via Z30
    Sure seems like that, doesn't it? A truly good all touch that could use a swipe keyboard and run Android apps quickly would have been familiar with Android users at least. BB10 ui is great, simple and coherent, quite unlike Android (4.4 at least) and I think on a high end device that would have been a selling point over Android.

Stuff like, want a flashlight? Just swipe from the top for a built in ad-free version! And the hub and other simple gestures...

But yeah... releasing only a few phones that appeal to niches at best and then declaring hardware a failure in general is disingenuous.

- CrackBerry App for Android on Moto E (2014)
    Flatman, techvisor and dalinxz like this.
    05-23-15 02:41 PM
    Don't need as much hardware R&D when you have deals with established manufacturers like Samsung to provide things like screens and cameras (cough, slider).

I would love to see some BlackBerry phones released on modified Samsung hardware (screen, camera, motherboard made by Samsung, with BlackBerry hardware keyboard) while keeping our same BlackBerry hardware level encryption and security.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    05-23-15 02:48 PM

Posted via Z30
    Or maybe they're partnering more heavily with companies like Foxconn and Samsung for hardware and can afford to downsize their own hardware side.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 02:58 PM
    Chen is working on something to address the app gap but at the same time is laying off devices people?

If he is not just making things up, it seems to me BlackBerry is going to go Android.

That, or he has just decided to further cut investment in devices. That would be sad because BB10 needs more investment to keep it current.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:00 PM
    Chen is working on something to address the app gap but at the same time is laying off devices people?

If he is not just making things up, it seems to me BlackBerry is going to go Android.

That, or he has just decided to further cut investment in devices. That would be sad because BB10 needs more investment to keep it current.

Posted via CB10
    What does hardware team cuts have to do with apps and Android?

Mr4aces and Sulaco757 like this.
    05-23-15 03:01 PM
    What does hardware team cuts have to do with apps and Android?

The cuts are said to be in the "devices" business. Devices include the software that runs the device.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Going Android doesn't get you out of hardware. All of the Android OEM are hardware companies, not software. This move would be getting out of phones altogether and relying on the BlackBerry Experience Suite, or working out a deal with Samsung and/or Foxconn to build all hardware. I'm fine with the latter, but if they abandon hardware for SAAS then I'll just go to another solution and wipe BlackBerry from trusted vendors list.

Also he waited till the quiet period so he doesn't have to address this till the conference call. I really don't trust this guy at all.

Posted via Z30
    05-23-15 03:13 PM
    News breaks on a long holiday weekend when most are not paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 03:32 PM
    Might be another move to help "balance" out for the quarter. He probably knows the Classic, PP, and Leap aren't selling as they anticipated, so cutting hardware is a way to help balance out.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    Soapm likes this.
    05-23-15 03:51 PM
    With all the news and None news coming out lately I'm thinkin something big is a brewin ;; Just sayin .
    05-23-15 04:04 PM
    Might be another move to help "balance" out for the quarter. He probably knows the Classic, PP, and Leap aren't selling as they anticipated, so cutting hardware is a way to help balance out.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    Makes sense after a 16% fall in quarterly revenue and no end in sight...
    05-23-15 04:37 PM
    Sounds like the right thing to do for Chen to bump up share price and fulfill Prem's holy mission in terms of doing exactly what investors usually want to see happening for struggling companies.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 04:55 PM
116 123 ...