11-05-15 01:59 PM
78 1234
tools
    More focus on software I think
    Yup. And this will include BB10 as well.

So they get the Venice done, then lay off the personnel that finished it, but they are committed to hardware, BB10, and they will stand behind the Venice 100%....... RIGHT!

Posted via Z30
    This makes sense if Chen wants FoxConn to do all of the R&D....

...cheaper, too.

Becoming OHA compliant means other OHA OEMs would be able to make hardware for BBRY - if you don't make any more BB10 devices, you just need people to do software update for... two three years? At that point either Android has taken off or it hasn't and you pull the plug anyway.
    I'm still not convinced that BlackBerry is a member of OHA or if they ever will be.

For one, it would mean the end of Android Run Time and while there is nothing OHA, ahem, Google, could do about units that have already sold BlackBerry would be forced to pull all existing unsold units from the shelves and to cease from ever shipping them again. Perhaps this is a likely scenario in two years or so from now, but in reality: not going to happen.

2) It would put BlackBerry into a precarious situation. On the one hand they could never fully implement their security features or "Hub, Peak, Flow" etc. into the OS as doing so would require BlackBerry to make those technologies available to all members. It makes more sense for BlackBerry to work directly with Samsung on say, Knox, than it does with having them share their patents and technologies across the board.

The big thing that all OHA members must adhere to is this: there can be no differentiation between core apps and third party apps. Meaning, all apps must have equal access to all of the phone's capabilities. Why would BlackBerry be cool with this? Also, OHA members agree to understand that "barriers" must not exist anywhere on the Android platform. Meaning, that developer's are also allowed "full access" to user data if they deem necessary in order to "improve user experience". Of course it is up to the user to actually allow or deny this access if they can but once again, why would BlackBerry be cool with this? One of the main tenets of OHA is that members and developers can have access to the phone's data at any point in time, period.

And,

The work-around to this is of course layering aka "skins". BlackBerry would have to layer their security and productivity on top of Android, or offer them as apps, which would leave the core of the OS, actually the OS in its entirety, open and unchanged.

3. There is nothing in the OHA that states only members can use Android. BlackBerry has ART. Acer attempted to build their own OS with ART, then Google told them that if they did they'd be kicked out of the OHA but never told them that they could not do it. Amazon forked their own OS from Android (really, they just removed GPS/GS for the most part). Samsung has been wanting to fork their own version of Android. The Firefox phone and Ubuntu phone both have an ART.
    09-22-15 12:50 PM
    I'm still not convinced that BlackBerry is a member of OHA or if they ever will be.
    Getting access to Google Play Store is the whole point of the exercise. Chen made it clear that he understands that the app gap is killing BlackBerry, and the Amazon solution was no solution. It would make no sense to launch an Android without Play. For Play, they have to be in OHA. Moreover, we've seen the Play icon on leaked images and video. I think the overwhelming weight of evidence favors OHA membership. Exactly how this will affect the runtime on existing BB10 devices is still unclear. I think the best guess is: It'll stay as it is; won't be upgraded; and new versions of BB10 won't have it. But that's still a guess.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    09-22-15 12:58 PM

You sorta lost me - as Ubizmo points out - access to google play services is the whole point (and all the leaks upto and including the video show it) - yes you could fork it, yes you could build something with AOSP or yes you could do something with ART - but why bother - what's the point? Its leaves BBRY out in the cold.

You could be right and they have done a deal to save the runtime but I wouldn't bet any serious money on it...
    09-22-15 01:39 PM
    Exactly how this will affect the runtime on existing BB10 devices is still unclear. I think the best guess is: It'll stay as it is; won't be upgraded; and new versions of BB10 won't have it. But that's still a guess.
    If future versions of BB10 do not have the android runtime anymore, that is going to **** off a whole bunch of people. I hope BlackBerry does not pull something that stupid. There are a lot of people that want to continue using BB10 for as long as their devices keep functioning. Many of those people use android apps and want the runtime.
    09-22-15 02:33 PM
    If future versions of BB10 do not have the android runtime anymore, that is going to **** off a whole bunch of people. I hope BlackBerry does not pull something that stupid. There are a lot of people that want to continue using BB10 for as long as their devices keep functioning. Many of those people use android apps and want the runtime.
    No one is going to force you to upgrade to what will probably be the final version of BB10 without the runtime. 10.3.3?
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-22-15 02:50 PM
    And why would Blackberry care? They need revenue, which means selling new handsets. Unfortunately for some of us, it looks like those are going to be Android-based handsets (or, at best, BB10 without the runtime, which is no solution at all.)
    09-22-15 02:55 PM
    So they get the Venice done, then lay off the personnel that finished it, but they are committed to hardware, BB10, and they will stand behind the Venice 100%....... RIGHT!

Posted via Z30
    Yeah anybody on this board that still believes BB is going to properly follow through with this crap is lying to themselves hardcore...
    Blacklatino and JGoodard like this.
    09-22-15 02:56 PM
    Yes, it'll annoy a lot of people, just as the fact that the Venice is an Android phone has already annoyed a lot of people. That's obviously not an obstacle.

We don't know what's going to happen, but we've heard the argument that losing the runtime is the cost of getting Google Play. I don't think that argument is a lock, but it's plausible. That's why this is such a big gamble. BlackBerry is sacrificing a large chunk of what's left of its "base" to try to gain a new base. If it fails, there's nothing left.
    lift likes this.
    09-22-15 03:11 PM
    They were never going to truly support BB10 devices and android devices anyways... So what if they **** off existing customers. They've already done that numerous times. This would be nothing new for them.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-22-15 03:18 PM
    Regulated industries who issue phones surely don't give a hoop about gage runtime so that leaves a small group of hardcore fans... Not a major concern
    09-22-15 04:31 PM
    If it means anything to anyone Brian Paschke, Industrial Design Lead for a ton of BB devices is now at Fitbit.
    That's a big loss. It took hundreds of millions -- maybe more -- for Mike L and Thor to piece together the talent that BB safeguarded up until John Chen started killing everything for short term gains. I cringe every time I see BB10 QNX kernel lead Sebastian Marineux at Apple... or even Vivek at Apple for that matter. The future just ain't what it used to be...
    09-22-15 05:52 PM
    I love all BlackBerry devices I own: my Torch 2 (9810), my Z30 (awesome!), and my Passport Stainless Steel Silver Edition (amazing!). I may get the Venice, but I hope BlackBerry doesn't abandon making devices or OS10..... (sigh)

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-22-15 06:01 PM
    BB could make 10.3.3 devices have the run-time user installable like it is with Tizen. Thats how Samsung gets around Google's requirements. Business won't care about the runtime and it would satisfy the BB10 consumer. We'll probably get alot of 'How do I get runtime on BB10, how come my Android apps no longer work in 10.3.3' questions in here but we can handle it.
    09-22-15 06:14 PM
    BB could make 10.3.3 devices have the run-time user installable like it is with Tizen. Thats how Samsung gets around Google's requirements. Business won't care about the runtime and it would satisfy the BB10 consumer. We'll probably get alot of 'How do I get runtime on BB10, how come my Android apps no longer work in 10.3.3' questions in here but we can handle it.
    If it's a BlackBerry, there's a way!
    09-22-15 06:29 PM
    *submarine

Posted via CB10
    I read comments here all the time from people who think JC is the messiah. Anyone who wants to understand history and how a group of people could follow the orders of Adolf Hitler only need to study these forums.

No matter how many people he fires, no matter how many lies he tells they still think he has done something good for this company.

Someone with some sense needs to call for a vote of no confidence. Now.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-22-15 06:32 PM
    New for the fall season: John Chen makes firing employees fun! "You've been Chenned!" an exciting new reality show where CEO John Chen tells people a whole lot of nothing then when they have confidence in him he pops out with a hidden camera and says "You've been Chenned!!" to the delight of TV viewers everywhere.

What about the ruined families who are crying? "We want to offer value for the consumer, and we think adding some laughter at people's personal tragedy really helps the Chenned ex-employees see how fun life is with Chen in it!" says director Jeff Probst.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    09-22-15 06:42 PM
    How do we know the team that made Venice is laid off?
    09-22-15 08:16 PM
    That's probably the best solution.

Personally, I could give a rat's *** about ART anyway. I don't use any Android apps. In fact, I use very few apps at all. I use the phone, text, email, calendar, and browser. If everything else were deleted, I probably wouldn't notice.

Richard
    will308 and lift like this.
    09-22-15 10:56 PM
    How do we know the team that made Venice is laid off?
    200 people from the hardware design division were laid off this week. What else would they have been working on? 200 is a lot of people!

Also, the guy who was in charge of BB10's SDKs (Software Development Kits - the tools app developers use to make native BB10 apps) left the company today. That definitely does not bode well for BB10, and is yet another sign that BB10 development has effectively ended (even if it will be maintained with bug-fixes for the time being).
    Blacklatino, extisis and Akuji_ism like this.
    09-22-15 11:44 PM
    the end is nigh. 10.
    09-23-15 12:25 AM
    In before the Chen lovers turn into haters. Oh wait a minute....
    09-23-15 01:02 AM
    Right, but they've seemingly they have nothing related to BlackBerry 10 any more, whereas even just a few months ago there was several positions listed.
    Business is business and BlackBerry is determined to survive. The transition from BB10 to Android is no different than its transition from BBOS to BB10 in a lot of ways, except that all BB10/BBOS dependent outfits and fan-base sites will have to make some adjustments to adapt.
    09-23-15 09:24 AM
    Thank you. Do you know who was their head designer in hardware? Is there some list of people who left from creative and software departments?
    09-23-15 09:28 AM
    Business is business and BlackBerry is determined to survive. The transition from BB10 to Android is no different than its transition from BBOS to BB10 in a lot of ways, except that all BB10/BBOS dependent outfits and fan-base sites will have to make some adjustments to adapt.
    And they have a much smaller potential base to convert than they did before.

Posted via Z30
    lift likes this.
    09-23-15 09:47 AM
    The transition from BB10 to Android is no different than its transition from BBOS to BB10 in a lot of ways
    You're joking, right. It's a completely different and insecure platform.
    GeekOnTheHill likes this.
    09-23-15 10:21 AM
78 1234