11-08-14 02:06 AM
44 12
tools
    Two notable quotes. The CEO, citing IDC, finds MobileIron as the largest vendor. Furthermore, he perceives Blackberry as a legacy player with an uncompetitive product that it distributes for free.

Another report to look at is Gartner's Magic Quadrant.
    http://www.appstechnews.com/news/201...-players-2013/
    You're referencing 2013/2012/2011 Magic Quadrant ratings. Any good self respecting cio will use it in advisement only and properly test management and consider quality. I've used BES, Fibrelink, Mobile Iron and Good. Good having the better interface yet funny enough sends your pin and email address out in the open for registration before securing the connection.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    11-03-14 05:55 AM
    The CEO does not see BlackBerry as a competitor? Definitely better in that way.. he shall realize that it is a HUGE mistake once is too late!
    11-03-14 09:19 AM
    I think Microsoft will dominate the EMM market because they have two key assets:

1)Azure Active Directory. Identity is a key part of EMM.
    2)Microsoft's EMM solution is integrated in Office for desktop and mobile. Other EMM vendors including BlackBerry can only provide a subpar Office software in their containers.

If BlackBerry wants to survive in this market they have to focus on a niche where they have an advantage. Probably in places where security is relatively more important than features.
    dolco likes this.
    11-03-14 08:45 PM
    Wtf is mobile iron?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 11:11 AM
    I think Microsoft will dominate the EMM market because they have two key assets:

2)Microsoft's EMM solution is integrated in Office for desktop and mobile. Other EMM vendors including BlackBerry can only provide a subpar Office software in their containers.

If BlackBerry wants to survive in this market they have to focus on a niche where they have an advantage. Probably in places where security is relatively more important than features.
    Microsoft's solution is limited in scope.
    11-04-14 11:14 AM
    Funny the CEO doesn't consider blackberry a competitor and its total revenue for the quarter was get this 34 million.that barely qualifies as!a business let alonea blackberry competitor. Total market value 750/ million which is also a joke how overvalued is that? You might want to use a calculator Mr CEO because not only are you not the leader your not even a blip in the market. How people get sucked in this n this stuff is beyond me. Mobile iron is like. A dot on the map that you can't even find. Something wrong with his revenue calculations if he even knows how to use a calculator. Leader in the category.a pipe dream at best.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    34m?
    I heard John Chen has more on his paycheck.... ;-)

(unverified...
    at least Thor walked away with some cash)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-07-14 01:00 AM

I agree. microsoft is a huge threat. They'll just roll the MDM stuff in for free.

Years ago Novell made a lot of money with Netware/directory software before MS built it in for free.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    11-07-14 01:26 AM
    Funny the CEO doesn't consider blackberry a competitor and its total revenue for the quarter was get this 34 million.that barely qualifies as!a business let alonea blackberry competitor.
    $34 million/quarter, if consistent, equates to about $136 million/year. Blackberry's software revenue is currently around $250 million/year, which would include more than just BES (QNX is possibly around $40 million/year of that). That may not include the service revenue from the BES licenses, which I couldn't find broken out, but in that sector the two companies are closer in size than you may think at first glance.
    Last edited by mornhavon; 11-07-14 at 02:02 AM.
    sentimentGX4 and m1a1mg like this.
    11-07-14 01:30 AM
    I agree. microsoft is a huge threat. They'll just roll the MDM stuff in for free.

Years ago Novell made a lot of money with Netware/directory software before MS built it in for free.
    But their software is generally rather buggy...

I can see the admins troubleshoot those cryptic error messages already... :-)

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    peter0328 likes this.
    11-07-14 02:34 AM
    But their software is generally rather buggy...

I can see the admins troubleshoot those cryptic error messages already... :-)

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    At first. You know what they say about version three of anything by Microsoft.

I think BlackBerry has opportunities. Not saying they are not going to compete. But Microsoft is a huge threat in MDM. Just the fact that they have announced they are adding it will cause some Enterprises to perhaps hold off on migrating things with blackberry. It's only natural.
    11-07-14 02:39 AM

And it is sad as the MS stuff still isn't as good as the NetWare stuff.
    11-07-14 08:40 AM
    At first. You know what they say about version three of anything by Microsoft.

I think BlackBerry has opportunities. Not saying they are not going to compete. But Microsoft is a huge threat in MDM. Just the fact that they have announced they are adding it will cause some Enterprises to perhaps hold off on migrating things with blackberry. It's only natural.
    Anyone following Enterprise MDM will know that MS's solution is limited in scope and not as robust as BES. The feature list is still not close.
    11-07-14 08:42 AM
    Anyone following Enterprise MDM will know that MS's solution is limited in scope and not as robust as BES. The feature list is still not close.
    Right. But blackberry doesn't need to lose most customers to get in trouble. Just a certain percentage.
    11-07-14 06:21 PM
    Right. But blackberry doesn't need to lose most customers to get in trouble. Just a certain percentage.
    So how many do they need to lose to get into trouble?
    11-07-14 08:27 PM
    I get why people would say that, given Microsoft's size and office clout. but reality is that they've been trying for years and haven't been able to yet, so I don't think it's quite so clear cut.

Back to MobileIron, he's just blowing off smoke. CEOs are often dismissive of competitors in public. Behind closed doors, i bet he's pushing for a lot of competitive analysis on BlackBerry as an MDM.
    11-07-14 09:29 PM
    $34 million/quarter, if consistent, equates to about $136 million/year. Blackberry's software revenue is currently around $250 million/year, which would include more than just BES (QNX is possibly around $40 million/year of that). That may not include the service revenue from the BES licenses, which I couldn't find broken out, but in that sector the two companies are closer in size than you may think at first glance.
    What Mobile Iron should be terrified of is two things specifically ...

1. That massive BES installed base that exists now. BlackBerry isn't starting from scratch with this well known "secure, managed device" platform. The thing is pretty entrenched in a lot of places, and now supports competitors.

and

2. If BlackBerry decides to ease back on devices and start pointing their $3 billion at MDM.

Not saying BlackBerry is assured at all; or that they should dismiss Mobile Iron. Just saying that this is a case of a CEO blowing smoke and acting macho.

And in truth, I don't believe that he dismisses BlackBerry at all ... when behind closed doors.
    11-07-14 09:33 PM
    I love blackberry fact check and Chen correcting everyone.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 10:02 PM
    What Mobile Iron should be terrified of is two things specifically ...

1. That massive BES installed base that exists now. BlackBerry isn't starting from scratch with this well known "secure, managed device" platform. The thing is pretty entrenched in a lot of places, and now supports competitors.

and

2. If BlackBerry decides to ease back on devices and start pointing their $3 billion at MDM.

Not saying BlackBerry is assured at all; or that they should dismiss Mobile Iron. Just saying that this is a case of a CEO blowing smoke and acting macho.

And in truth, I don't believe that he dismisses BlackBerry at all ... when behind closed doors.
    That's exactly right. Why would he make a statement in the first place?
    Sure he's worried, and uses this as a tactic to distract or get heard / his own product out the door...

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-08-14 12:31 AM
    So how many do they need to lose to get into trouble?
    Who knows.
    11-08-14 02:06 AM
44 12