Citing a SA article today, seems like an interesting event. Not the first time they do this, but it seems after recent events definitely privacy (against the government or any of it's appendix) has become a debated topic within companies.

"Microsoft sues DOJ over user privacy in data requests
    Apr 14 2016, 15:50 ET | About: Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has filed suit against the Department of Justice, the latest legal maneuver in a battle brewing over data privacy between Feds and tech companies.The company is fighting government gag orders that prevent firms from telling their users when the government is reviewing their digital information.The suit specifically says that such orders when used as part of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act violate Fourth Amendment search and seizure rights, as well as Microsoft's First Amendment right to talk with its customers.Secrecy orders that have no fixed end dates mean "we effectively are prohibited forever from telling our customers that the government has obtained their data, says Microsoft Chief Legal Officer Brad Smith".

One of the last BlackBerry aficionados in PR. Passport island life.
    04-14-16 09:55 PM
    Thanks for sharing, not the first time Microsoft has done battle with the DOJ, should be interesting.
    04-15-16 06:31 AM
    The funny thing is MS and the rest of them are also reviewing your information, selling it, filling it, segregating it, etc. ...what a wonderful world. Power struggling with each other to see who has the biggest bat, while the bewildered heard wonders around taking the beatings.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 03:54 PM
    The funny thing is MS and the rest of them are also reviewing your information, selling it, filling it, segregating it, etc. ...what a wonderful world. Power struggling with each other to see who has the biggest bat, while the bewildered heard wonders around taking the beatings.

Posted via CB10
    T&C vs surprise government spying
    04-15-16 04:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    T&C vs surprise government spying
    Yes. A big distinction. It may be buried in the fine print of stultifying legalese but these companies do disclose what you are agreeing to when you use their products and you have the choice to opt out by not using them. Spying without a legal and reasonable warrant does not allow that not cool.
    04-16-16 08:36 AM
    Yes. A big distinction. It may be buried in the fine print of stultifying legalese but these companies do disclose what you are agreeing to when you use their products and you have the choice to opt out by not using them. Spying without a legal and reasonable warrant does not allow that not cool.
    The full context of that release is a problem. I may sign away the air that I breathe, if it's not highly visible in that agreement. That air belongs to me, I accumulate it and disburse it as I see fit. Nothing is worth that trade, nor should it ever be allowed to be traded. That's the problem. These two fighting and all the rest of them involved are just Land Barron's walking briskly into town looking to do shady deals with unsuspecting farmers.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 02:06 PM
    I have always been a major advocate of privacy and following our constitution and the government is pulling out all the stops and using the scary "T" word to bypass the laws that protect our most sacred rights as citizens.

As an American it's makes me sick to see these folks we have elected who have swore to defend our constitution trying to put it into the shredder.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    04-17-16 07:58 PM
    Thanks for sharing, not the first time Microsoft has done battle with the DOJ, should be interesting.
    Ironically, this time around I'm siding with MS on that one... goodonyer, Satya (=truth)!

:-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-18-16 05:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    That wouldn't be a problem in itself, as long as the data stays with them. The problem raises its ugly head when a gov't agency walks into the shop and wants to see some data regarding the "thought crime" you've allegedly committed on the interwebz...

:-D

Edit: MS or Google won't issue me or anyone a court citation, the issue is that my data that I'm willing to give to them in order to use their services and have a "personalized experience" can be used by a chairwarming bureaucrat to dig and rummage in my past or "personal thought world" until they've found enough "dirt" about me or anyone else for that matter to get us hanged...

Constitution is there to protect our rights. And pursuit of happiness, whatever that may look like (civil and harmless of course)...

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    04-18-16 05:46 PM