Gartner is busy praising Microsoft as the next good thing to happen in the mobile market. But the wretched copycat plans $7 billion write-off even after getting rid of 18,000 jobs.

Source - The Register
    06-27-15 12:47 AM
    Gartner is busy praising Microsoft as the next good thing to happen in the mobile market. But the wretched copycat plans $7 billion write-off even after getting rid of 18,000 jobs.

Source - The Register
    IMHO, this write-off is just good way to decrease taxes for Microsoft...
    06-27-15 02:10 AM
    IMHO, this write-off is just good way to decrease taxes for Microsoft...
    Spend $7.2 billion, save ~~$2.9 billion in taxes.

How does that work, make it up in volume?

Seriously, GAAP requires the write down of impaired assets yet the IRS does not allow goodwill amortization to be accelerated. Translation, this saved them nothing on their taxes.

Can You Deduct Worthless Goodwill on Your Tax Return? Internal Revenue Code Section 197 Creating Ill Will | AccountingWEB
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-28-15 08:59 AM
    Anyone else read write off and hope for fire sale?

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    06-28-15 09:07 AM

I did. Love to get a windows product to go with my laptop and tablet

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    KermEd likes this.
    06-28-15 11:04 AM

No, there's nothing for them to write off that I'd want.

Most of the Lumias being sold are like ~$100, anyway, with mediocre specs (Snapdragon 200/400/410) for the price. Not great phones and they haven't been bargain deals since the Lumia 520 days. We're past even the Moto G being a good deal.

Nowadays, in the United States, the best bargains are all old flagships like the LG G2 with Snapdragon 800 processor, HTC One M7/M8, or phones like the Zenfone 2. All these devices can be had cheaply and make devices like the Moto G or Lumias look silly.

I would want a Surface; but, that division is doing well and not in trouble. Microsoft already wrote off all the Surface RTs.
    06-28-15 12:12 PM
    "Microsoft's sales are lagging even those of Windows Phone partners: 8.6 million Lumias (Nokia) moved versus 24.7 million non-Lumias sold."

Lol... what Chen would do for those 'dismal' numbers.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 12:32 PM
    It really puts BlackBerry's issues into perspective when shifting over 8 times as many devices per quarter is still considered bad performance. This is a tough industry.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-28-15 01:11 PM
    "Microsoft's sales are lagging even those of Windows Phone partners: 8.6 million Lumias (Nokia) moved versus 24.7 million non-Lumias sold."

Lol... what Chen would do for those 'dismal' numbers.

Posted via CB10
    I had the same thought when reading . But then again Microsoft is burning 7 billion on it, which is what... 4 times what bbry has left in the bank?

At that price I'm surprised they didn't just send the whole world a Lumia for free and take the market that way

06-28-15 02:04 PM

I want a cheap surface pro
    06-28-15 04:51 PM
    I want a cheap surface pro
    I love my surface pro. It was worth every penny.

Although, I did make the mistake of trying to install the Windows 10 technical preview, it was slow and laggy and really broke the wifi. Go figure their own OS didn't recognize their own hardware.

06-28-15 05:47 PM
    This doesn't look like a write-down on unsold inventory, but rather the value of their Nokia asset vs. what they thought it was when they bought it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-29-15 05:50 AM

I would want a Surface; but, that division is doing well and not in trouble. Microsoft already wrote off all the Surface RTs.
    I jumped on the rt sale last year it was I believe. One great tablet. Very underrated. So good, my company is deciding to swap all the tablets to the Surface. We simply can't come up with a single complaint when it comes to productivity. The dual screen for pdfs and other documents saves so much time.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 08:51 AM
    I jumped on the rt sale last year it was I believe. One great tablet. Very underrated. So good, my company is deciding to swap all the tablets to the Surface. We simply can't come up with a single complaint when it comes to productivity. The dual screen for pdfs and other documents saves so much time.

Posted via CB10
    I did the same with the original RT. My wife needed something to watch lectures on and type up Word docs with a physical keyboard. Despite its limitations with regards to RT-specific third party software, it completely challenged and erased (in my mind) the 'accepted' limitations that a 'tablet' does not need to be able to do (almost) everything a 'full' PC could.

Honestly, I just can't see myself buying a handicapped 'tablet' (Android, iPad) considering how many super-affordable Windows tablets exist. Sure, the surface Pro is expensive, but... there are plenty of other options that end up giving you a 'full' Windows (ok, don't try to run CAD simulations and make the next PIXAR movie on them..but you get the point).

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 10:37 AM
    I did the same with the original RT. My wife needed something to watch lectures on and type up Word docs with a physical keyboard. Despite its limitations with regards to RT-specific third party software, it completely challenged and erased (in my mind) the 'accepted' limitations that a 'tablet' does not need to be able to do (almost) everything a 'full' PC could.

Honestly, I just can't see myself buying a handicapped 'tablet' (Android, iPad) considering how many super-affordable Windows tablets exist. Sure, the surface Pro is expensive, but... there are plenty of other options that end up giving you a 'full' Windows (ok, don't try to run CAD simulations and make the next PIXAR movie on them..but you get the point).

Posted via CB10
    Meh. My nephew got a Dell Windows tablet for work, it stopped connecting to Internet properly and I had to fix it. Turned out to be some rogue apps that got installed and we're doing something. Took me a while to remove them. That is why I stopped messing with Windows long ago and why I don't want a phone or tablet running it, or even a PC for that matter. So glad my job I work at now we use Macs for our engineering workstations. I'll have about 30 terminal windows open with telnet sessions, 20 Web pages, a couple Windows VM's and it doesn't care. And I've been using the same one for 5 years with no issues.

Posted via Z30
    lactose likes this.
    06-29-15 09:39 PM
    Meh. My nephew got a Dell Windows tablet for work, it stopped connecting to Internet properly and I had to fix it. Turned out to be some rogue apps that got installed and we're doing something. Took me a while to remove them. That is why I stopped messing with Windows long ago and why I don't want a phone or tablet running it, or even a PC for that matter. So glad my job I work at now we use Macs for our engineering workstations. I'll have about 30 terminal windows open with telnet sessions, 20 Web pages, a couple Windows VM's and it doesn't care. And I've been using the same one for 5 years with no issues.

Posted via Z30
    I agree, Microsoft's buggy, easily infectable OS just means a lot of productivity loss.

If you took the combined global productivity loss caused by Microsoft software, and someone successfully sued them for it, all of Microsoft's billions wouldn't be enough to cover it...

:-|

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    07-01-15 03:04 AM