12-12-14 11:02 AM
91 1234
tools
    But BlackBerry is touting the Passport as a phone you want to do that on...
    I understand but what I said was that "I just need..." with I meaning ME, not everyone. If I'm away from my computer, the most I will do is replay to an email or look something up or send a document that is done and sitting in my Dropbox or on my PC which I can do very easily with the File Manager. I don't ever have a need to work on an Excel spreadsheet and add data and functions while I'm on my phone. If it's an emergency and it's something that needs to get done, I will just ask someone else to do it and have it look properly on a computer, PDF it, check that it looks good, etc. There's a reason why Microsoft is giving away this product and it's because they either couldn't sell it or very few people were using it to justify charging. Its not an early Christmas gift.
    11-08-14 11:15 AM
    it is a small phone we're talking. How much would you do with Office on your phone? Documents to Go works very well for editing, etc. I am not sure BB needs it.
    A real apologist. We are talking about the most popular office, business software application is available for all major devices except BlackBerry. Blackberry makes claims to be a business machine. "Tools not toys" How can you seriously say we don't need it?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:22 PM
    A real apologist. We are talking about the most popular office, business software application is available for all major devices except BlackBerry. Blackberry makes claims to be a business machine. "Tools not toys" How can you seriously say we don't need it?

Posted via CB10
    Yes but nobody uses it on a mobile phone and docs to go is windows compatible. It's all you need.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 01:46 PM
    I just read the source blog post in its entirety for a second time now. I don't see any mention of it coming for android phones, just a tablet preview.. care to quote the passage in question?

Posted via CB10
    True, it only says iPhone, however if they're going to offer it for them, and all tablets, and say all devices, it stands to reason they either will make one specific for android phones, or simply expect android phone users to download and use it too. I know I'm assuming, and what that means for me , but I don't think that's a huge mental leap.

Heck, play store has over 10,000,000 downloads of Office Mobile now. Can't all be tablets.
    11-08-14 02:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes but nobody uses it on a mobile phone and docs to go is windows compatible. It's all you need.

Posted via CB10
    How about we calm down now, kill the hyperbole, and wide sweeping presumptions. Thanks!
    11-08-14 02:30 PM
    Oh, they'll get to it. Right after they build native Skype...which, as it was suggested in CB, they would do if BBM came to WP8.
    11-08-14 04:15 PM
    I think blackberry is scaring the sh#!t out of apple, Google and Microsoft, that is why they don't want to bring any app to blackberry's ecosystem

Posted via CB10
    Lol!!! Are you the same dude that said that the next Blackberry will be the iPhone killer in another thread. Honestly, the only thing Blackberry is scared of, is making more phones than they can sell. In other. Words, they don't scare anyone else with their small share of the mobile market. You must be a new BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Tell that to Blackberry. Did you see their "work wide" ads for the Passport? If no one uses it on a mobile phone what was that ad meant to convey?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:48 PM
    Tell that to Blackberry. Did you see their "work wide" ads for the Passport? If no one uses it on a mobile phone what was that ad meant to convey?

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I need Docs to Go to have more features. Especially comments. How else can this be a professiona's phone? How can this phone enable mobile work, when this is so lacking? I hope they have a solution in the planning, otherwise, their ads don't make any sense...
    11-08-14 04:51 PM
    Installed Office via Snap. Works OK. Docs to Go is better anyway -- displays nicer, better navigation structure, universal share, etc. OfficeSuite Pro for Android also works fine.
    11-08-14 09:53 PM
    It's not flawless on my Passport, running 1016. The main flaw I've noticed is that in edit mode the space bar inserts two spaces instead of one. That's enough to make it unusable.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I can only speak for how it works on my Z10
    11-08-14 09:54 PM
    seems the office on blackberry is now free like the other ones on android and ios (sucks)
    11-09-14 01:17 AM
    I can't believe for a second many people do any kind of heavy Office type editing using phone or tablet. It's just never been a strength, and they're all pretty much hopeless at it compared to a PC.

BlackBerry might tout the Passport, but that's really for being able to see the contents of a spreadsheet, not work on them. It's just a miserable experience, on tablet or phone.

Same for typing a document. The typing bit is ok, the manipulation of a document in terms of style is just better done on a PC.

So when people on this thread say Docs To Go is sufficient, it largely is. Ok, there will be one or two things where it falls short, no question. But I use my phone for work, I use spreadsheets and word documents a lot. I even have Office Suite Pro on the phone having taken advantage of it as a freebie from Amazon. And the reality is I've never used it. Because although I do have quite a few Office documents that I need access to, I'm not going to try manipulating them on a phone or even on a tablet. Not unless I absolutely have to, and that will be kicking and screaming.

Is that just me? Purely personal? Maybe, but I don't think so. The problems are real enough and essentially insurmountable. There's truth in the post saying if it was that brilliant it wouldn't be given away.

I'm sure that for some a fully functioning Office would be great news. But I strongly suspect they are a small minority even in terms of business users.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-09-14 04:34 AM
    I just need to read documents. No way I'm editing/formatting documents on a small phone.
    I used to be this way, though I often find myself writing short notes with it a lot now when I'm on the train. Faster than pulling out the laptop, waiting for it to boot up ... especially on a crowded train.

DocsToGo is ok, but I find there are some basic issues with formatting with the way I work that limit it. Also, as noted, I'd love to see comments.
    11-09-14 07:09 AM
    Many people who purchase mobile devices, especially for business use will inevitably ask if it runs Office. "Kind of" isn't a great answer when the other platforms is a "Yes"
    11-09-14 07:23 AM
    "It works for my needs..." "I don't need that app..." worked to the tune of about 1 million BlackBerry BB10 phones a quarter. BlackBerry finally figured that out when they added the Android capability to the system giving folks more access to the things they want to do. Anything they want to do. Verizon used to have a great commercial for their Droid series of Android phones "What others can't...Droid does".

Even Microsoft is figuring this out now. It's going for ubiquity for Office. Putting office on Android and iOS, along with their Windows Phone offering (coming after the Android and iOS btw) it will be on about 95% of all phones and tablets right now. This gives them powerful argument when their salesmen go to Enterprise to sell their Office suites.

Trust me when I say that BlackBerry and Mr Chen would do just about anything to get Microsoft to put a native version of Office for BB10 out for the exact same reason - so when they go to Enterprise they could say - ours works as good as anyone's. I hope folks here are right and 10.3.1 works perfectly when it ever gets to my Z30.
    11-09-14 07:53 AM
    Takes me a quarter of the time on a laptop to edit or create any office document than it does on my phone. Everything from creating complex PP presentations, excel sheets with multiple formulas and graphs, to all types of word documents and anything else. That's with the boot up time of the laptop, which is usually negligible as the laptop is on almost 24/7.

Office docs are mainly relegated to viewing and small edits on my phone. Not really sure how anyone is being more efficient on a phone with office docs over a laptop.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 08:05 AM
    Microsoft Office runs perfectly well on the Passport. The main thing I don't like about it is being forced to sign in. Deleted. As stated above, DocToGo is better anyway.
    11-09-14 08:16 AM
    Many people seem to be missing the key advantages of using the MS Office app vs all the other "Good enough" alternatives.

I've used Docs 2 Go, Office Suite Pro, and others. While they each handle MS Office documents somewhat well, they each have their minor quirks in either display/layout or how they format and save data. With the the MS Office app, you see exactly what you're supposed to see, and it formats/saves documents exactly as they are supposed to. Anybody who's ever made multiple edits back and forth between alternative mobile apps and MS Office on their PC/Laptops can attest to how quickly the documents begin to go awry. Especially when you're working with collaborative documents that have numerous people all making edits to the same document (which is most likely the case when discussing mobile editing). With each person in a collective using different "good enough" alternatives, it often gets really really bad. To have everybody in a collaborative using MS Office itself would be a huge improvement.

For the individual user who only uses MS Office as not much more than a basic word processor, those "good enough" apps may suit. But that demographic is a tiny drop in a large bucket compared to the rest of the industry that uses MS Office.

[edit] I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that of all the alternative apps. Google Docs has really come a long way, and has outstripped the others as far as compatibility with MS Office. But given that it probably relies on Play Services for its Drive integration, I don't know that it will work in BB10. Perhaps somebody else that may have tried can chime in.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 11-09-14 at 01:38 PM.
    11-09-14 08:47 AM
    I understand but what I said was that "I just need..." with I meaning ME, not everyone. If I'm away from my computer, the most I will do is replay to an email or look something up or send a document that is done and sitting in my Dropbox or on my PC which I can do very easily with the File Manager. I don't ever have a need to work on an Excel spreadsheet and add data and functions while I'm on my phone. If it's an emergency and it's something that needs to get done, I will just ask someone else to do it and have it look properly on a computer, PDF it, check that it looks good, etc. There's a reason why Microsoft is giving away this product and it's because they either couldn't sell it or very few people were using it to justify charging. Its not an early Christmas gift.
    ^^ this

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 10:33 AM
    I think (ouch) that for the most part Office is directed more for the "Enterprise" area!

If you like it... use it!
    If you don't.... DON'T!

11-09-14 11:01 AM
    My biggest fear is that MS deliberately codes office to stop working on BlackBerry. A quick flip of the switch to turn on a requirement for play services and it can more or less pull on the plug on it. I haven't run into any issues with the Office from Snap yet.
    11-09-14 12:28 PM
    Microsoft Office runs perfectly well on the Passport. The main thing I don't like about it is being forced to sign in. Deleted. As stated above, DocToGo is better anyway.
    You don't get double spaces when you press the space bar? If it weren't for this I'd use it.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    11-09-14 02:27 PM
    I've used Docs 2 Go, Office Suite Pro, and others. While they each handle MS Office documents somewhat well, they each have their minor quirks in either display/layout or how they format and save data. With the the MS Office app, you see exactly what you're supposed to see, and it formats/saves documents exactly as they are supposed to. Anybody who's ever made multiple edits back and forth between alternative mobile apps and MS Office on their PC/Laptops can attest to how quickly the documents begin to go awry.
    That's correct. I have done a bit of light editing using Docs2Go, but for actual sustained writing on a phone -- which I sometimes do -- I prefer to use Remember/Evernote. Then, when I'm ready to edit and format, I paste what I've written into a Word document, using a computer. There's writing and there's formatting, and phones in general are not good for the latter step. But they're okay for just getting the words down "on paper" as it were.

Much of my writing is academic, and is footnoted. I'm not interested in trying to fiddle with footnotes on a phone. If I'm writing in Evernote and I need to footnote something, I just put it in square braces and keep going. When I get to the formatting stage on a PC, I'll cut and paste that text into the footnote field, without worrying about whether I'm going to crash the software.

I'm not claiming to speak for everyone; this is just the way I work. For me, a phone is not the right tool for producing polished final copy. My main use for Docs2Go is to view documents. I prefer not to edit them with it, precisely because I don't want any little glitches between file formats to make problems later on. But even if I had MS Office working perfectly on my Passport, I'd still do the heavy visual formatting on a PC.
    11-09-14 04:44 PM
    Doc-To-Go is great. I have been a long time user, on BB and iOS. However, the new iOS office apps are better, and they have won me over. The Android apps have not caught up yet, so don't compare. It would be nice if Microsoft supported the apps on BB.
    11-09-14 06:46 PM
91 1234