12-12-14 11:02 AM
91 123 ...
tools
    In Microsoft's world:

In March, we announced Office for the iPad, a major step in commitment to bring Office to everyone, on every device and anywhere they need it.
    As long as that device is an iPhone, iPad, Android or Microsoft mobile device...

Office is no question the worlds largest business app, and it won't be available for BlackBerry. Yes you can still use Office 365, but as a native app goes, sorry, keep using Documents to Go...

More Office. Everywhere you need it. - The Official Microsoft Blog
    11-07-14 07:44 AM
    It's interesting that while Microsoft is solidifying its status as the third mobile ecosystem, it also holds one of the major keys to shutting out the rest as it transforms itself into a services business. I mean, how can you have a legitimate mobile platform, going forward, without Microsoft Office support - especially in the enterprise space?
    11-07-14 07:53 AM
    They do offer some honesty further down:

Microsoft Office now available on iPhone and coming to Android... (Not BlackBerry)-img_20141107_075224.png

Would be nice for them to offer it natively. They probably consider us using it in android form good enough, since we have such a small market share.
    11-07-14 07:57 AM
    It's interesting that while Microsoft is solidifying its status as the third mobile ecosystem, it also holds one of the major keys to shutting out the rest as it transforms itself into a services business. I mean, how can you have a legitimate mobile platform, going forward, without Microsoft Office support - especially in the enterprise space?
    It's a slick strategy.
    11-07-14 08:00 AM
    I installed Microsoft Office on my Z10 by Snap and works perfectly, also Chrome, but both only 10.3.1.1016

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:28 AM
    They do offer some honesty further down:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141107_075224.png 
Views:	4609 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	312819

Would be nice for them to offer it natively. They probably consider us using it in android form good enough, since we have such a small market share.
    I have been unable to get office 365 Android to work on my Z30 on 10.2.1.2991 official Verizon. Is it working on later releases?
    11-07-14 08:33 AM
    I downloaded it from Google playstore through Snap, Stl100-1 my Z10 and it works perfectly, also Chrome, but both only 10.3.1.1016, not earlier

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:45 AM
    All you need is DOC TO GO.....

But seriously.... I really expected Windows 8 to gain more traction than it has. Having the same experience between devices sounds like a no brainier... and with the way they have include Office (home & student for many devices or a one year subscription to 365 for others) it is a huge extra value. But I'm not so sure MS has been able to solidify the third mobile ecosystem yet. Sure they are #3... but that isn't really saying much is it.
    11-07-14 08:52 AM

But seriously.... I really expected Windows 8 to gain more traction than it has. Having the same experience between devices sounds like a no brainier... and with the way they have include Office (home & student for many devices or a one year subscription to 365 for others) it is a huge extra value. But I'm not so sure MS has been able to solidify the third mobile ecosystem yet. Sure they are #3... but that isn't really saying much is it.
    I think the native development might give MSFT the edge for #3 in the medium term.
    11-07-14 09:27 AM
    Sure they are #3... but that isn't really saying much is it.
    If you can permanently shut out #4 and beyond from having a complete mobile enterprise ecosystem - the future of computing - then that's quite a lot.
    11-07-14 09:31 AM
    I agree, that would serve me well enough.

But is that available on OS10 or even part of the OS as it used to be on OS7?

I'm asking becasue I'm still on OS7.1 / BB9900, so I don't know.
    11-07-14 10:06 AM
    it is a small phone we're talking. How much would you do with Office on your phone? Documents to Go works very well for editing, etc. I am not sure BB needs it.
    bbjdog likes this.
    11-07-14 10:26 AM
    I have been unable to get office 365 Android to work on my Z30 on 10.2.1.2991 official Verizon. Is it working on later releases?

I downloaded it from Google playstore through Snap, Stl100-1 my Z10 and it works perfectly, also Chrome, but both only 10.3.1.1016, not earlier

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! The current Office Mobile certainly is working fine.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-07-14 10:34 AM

Unless you want to see comments to a document. Then docs 2 go doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    Lacker20 likes this.
    11-07-14 10:35 AM
    I agree, that would serve me well enough.

But is that available on OS10 or even part of the OS as it used to be on OS7?

I'm asking becasue I'm still on OS7.1 / BB9900, so I don't know.
    Yes, its preinstalled on BB10 devices.
    11-07-14 10:36 AM
    it is a small phone we're talking. How much would you do with Office on your phone? Documents to Go works very well for editing, etc. I am not sure BB needs it.
    The "wants" have always far exceeded the "needs" here. Besides, who's to judge what someone else needs, but they themselves.
    bbmtna and anon1727506 like this.
    11-07-14 10:37 AM
    The "wants" have always far exceeded the "needs" here. Besides, who's to judge what someone else needs, but they themselves.
    Yeah, I really agree with you here. Just remember all the screaming and yelling about 'needing' this app or that app a couple of years ago. It was crazy.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and rarsen like this.
    11-07-14 12:01 PM
    office 365 works fine on 10.3.x
    11-07-14 12:12 PM
    I installed Microsoft Office on my Z10 by Snap and works perfectly, also Chrome, but both only 10.3.1.1016

Posted via CB10
    Good to know, was contacting microsoft support on the topic as reported in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...ndroid-973834/
    And they said this is up to the phone maker to support it. Not sure if there is some needed white listing (against payment) from microsoft though.
    -- Welcome to Spoludo
    bbjdog likes this.
    11-07-14 12:22 PM
    I just need to read documents. No way I'm editing/formatting documents on a small phone.
    yessuz likes this.
    11-07-14 12:23 PM
    I just need to read documents. No way I'm editing/formatting documents on a small phone.
    On the phone maybe not, but with the phone docked to a monitor (the docking station done by blackberry has both hdmi and usb to power the phone), a blue tooth mouse and keyboard paired, this might be another story.
    11-07-14 12:46 PM
    But seriously.... I really expected Windows 8 to gain more traction than it has. Having the same experience between devices sounds like a no brainier...
    Microsoft really went about its ecosystems the wrong way with Windows 8. Microsoft was trying to support 3 different app ecosystems.

- Windows x86
    - Windows RT/Metro
    - Windows Phone

Microsoft was insane to think that Windows RT/tablets could support its own app ecosystem. The tablet market isn't that big and even Android tablets are mostly only propped up by its smartphone ecosystem. What Microsoft should have done is use Windows Phone for tablets and then also add Windows Phone onto the Windows x86 (much like Metro). Microsoft should also work to add x86 Windows onto smartphones; but, that may take more time.

There's definitely a huge schism between Microsoft departments which is why Windows Phone is not packaged into x86 Windows and how the RT/Metro experience feels only vaguely like that of Windows Phone. I hope the schism is resolved one day because I would like a legitimate mobile ecosystem on my PC so that I could use Whatsapp every once in a while without switching devices.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 11-07-14 at 01:23 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-07-14 01:13 PM
    But BlackBerry is touting the Passport as a phone you want to do that on...
    BigBadWulf, jmr1015 and mjdimer like this.
    11-07-14 01:20 PM
    I'd like to see BlackBerry optimize the Android Office 365 APK and push it out as a pre-load with 10.3.1.X if MS has no intention of a native BB10 Office 365 - with Microsoft's approval of course. I already have it working on a test unit with 10.3.1.1016.
    11-07-14 01:47 PM
    I'd like to see BlackBerry optimize the Android Office 365 APK and push it out as a pre-load with 10.3.1.X if MS has no intention of a native BB10 Office 365 - with Microsoft's approval of course. I already have it working on a test unit with 10.3.1.1016.
    LoL, "We'll steal your app, and make it our own!". Not sure that's gonna work.
    DavideaNY and BB_Junky like this.
    11-07-14 01:51 PM
91 123 ...