07-19-15 07:20 PM
43 12
tools
    Sure there will be apps that are mobile only, but as someone that has used Windows devices forever, I have to say that Windows 8.1 market place for apps is huge for Microsoft (at least a huge potential). Expect Microsoft's app store to exploded. Corporate side is going to eat it up. Pre 8.1 you have a solid Windows 7 that is a probably best described as a highly advanced XP, but just like XP you have to hunt for things to install. 8(.1) market place (XBox) has simplified Windows for soooo many things. Assuming you can find your apps, you no longer have to 'worry' about third party websites and the risks associated there.

I see Windows Market as more like Steam, just without pure play on games. I am not sure how the corporate side will work, but if its done right, it will be a on ramp into billions of devices. Developers go where the money is, always.

Mobile will be just a blip of all this.
    Im not sure your right. Mobile is replacing desktop in the same way that cell phones replaced landlines. Not a replacement, but far more common due to average consumer needs versus specialized applications.

I was a heavy pc user but now I dont use my pc anywhere near as much as I did 5 years ago. It's just not convenient for most tasks.

The unified app environment that Microsoft envisions already exist in a more realistic form. It's not about the same gui or app on multiple devices. Its about services being available on any device. I can log in to gmail anywhere and get my files, email text and voice mail. Just one example of course.

!
    07-13-15 09:51 AM
    Im not sure your right. Mobile is replacing desktop in the same way that cell phones replaced landlines. Not a replacement, but far more common due to average consumer needs versus specialized applications.

I was a heavy pc user but now I dont use my pc anywhere near as much as I did 5 years ago. It's just not convenient for most tasks.

The unified app environment that Microsoft envisions already exist in a more realistic form. It's not about the same gui or app on multiple devices. Its about services being available on any device. I can log in to gmail anywhere and get my files, email text and voice mail. Just one example of course.

!
    Its easy to see that most users just want stuff to work. Having the same app store for multiple device types exists today. The sleeping giant is Microsoft. Between consumer and business side how many devices do you reach? Giving away Windows 10 is probably the greatest move they have ever made. They will in effect migrate (potential) every user to there App store. No need to sell new hardware, just migrate. Brilliant. Corporate side is always held to volume licensing so its a little slower on the uptick. IT shops like simple too...

Microsoft has 'solved' its own fragmentation problems and moved to a more advanced model of what Apple is doing. So you can have a work machine, phone and tablet all have the same apps. Azure, Office 365, One Drive....MS has moved its pieces slowly, but its all there.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-13-15 11:02 AM
    Its easy to see that most users just want stuff to work. Having the same app store for multiple device types exists today. The sleeping giant is Microsoft. Between consumer and business side how many devices do you reach? Giving away Windows 10 is probably the greatest move they have ever made. They will in effect migrate (potential) every user to there App store. No need to sell new hardware, just migrate. Brilliant. Corporate side is always held to volume licensing so its a little slower on the uptick. IT shops like simple too...

Microsoft has 'solved' its own fragmentation problems and moved to a more advanced model of what Apple is doing. So you can have a work machine, phone and tablet all have the same apps. Azure, Office 365, One Drive....MS has moved its pieces slowly, but its all there.
    My PC doesn't need apps though. Its ecosystem is by far richer than any mobile device.

I don't know that universal pc apps solves Microsofts mobile problem. Mobile and Desktop are different use cases. I don't think the ability to sync desktop and mobile with regard to service usage is a problem to be solved. IOS and Android especially do a decent job in this regard. The apps that require this functionality already have it. The services that require it are all compatible with Windows PC environment.

I'm not discounting your points at all. They are valid. I just don't see universal apps as a feature that will spur much adoption on the mobile end. The cost of buying in as far as phone is concerned is relatively high ( for me anyway) but the benefits for most users aren't readily apparent.

My current Android phone plays nice with Windows PC. No reason to buy a Windows phone. .

!
    07-13-15 02:44 PM
    My PC doesn't need apps though. Its ecosystem is by far richer than any mobile device.

I don't know that universal pc apps solves Microsofts mobile problem. Mobile and Desktop are different use cases. I don't think the ability to sync desktop and mobile with regard to service usage is a problem to be solved. IOS and Android especially do a decent job in this regard. The apps that require this functionality already have it. The services that require it are all compatible with Windows PC environment.

I'm not discounting your points at all. They are valid. I just don't see universal apps as a feature that will spur much adoption on the mobile end. The cost of buying in as far as phone is concerned is relatively high ( for me anyway) but the benefits for most users aren't readily apparent.

My current Android phone plays nice with Windows PC. No reason to buy a Windows phone. .

!
    What solves mobile situation is proper mobile websites. More complex websites ar turning into apps and pretty much all desktop apps will be web based apps based on subscription. It's a reality. It's only a matter of time before they get optimized for mobile. "Its all about apps" will have a different meaning quite soon.

Ok that's future but today's problems lay in lazy visionaries. For example PayPal doesn't have a friendly mobile website. Instead of making three different mobile apps they could have built only one app. The Verge got it right, they ditched app principle and they strictly rely on their website's compatibility for mobile viewing
    07-13-15 02:52 PM
    I agree it doesn't solve its problem, it does remove a barrier. Unlike a BlackBerry 10 device, Windows 10 out of the gate will have the chance to surpass all of the BB10 devices in service. That's can a big deal from a development aspect. I have several games on the 8.1 Windows device I have first used on a mobile (non windows). So the developers are there, maybe not in force yet, but I think Windows 10 gives them a reason to consider it.

My opinion is it will be an Android/Windows world. iOS at some point will be pushed into the corner.
    07-13-15 04:27 PM
    I agree it doesn't solve its problem, it does remove a barrier. Unlike a BlackBerry 10 device, Windows 10 out of the gate will have the chance to surpass all of the BB10 devices in service. That's can a big deal from a development aspect. I have several games on the 8.1 Windows device I have first used on a mobile (non windows). So the developers are there, maybe not in force yet, but I think Windows 10 gives them a reason to consider it.

My opinion is it will be an Android/Windows world. iOS at some point will be pushed into the corner.
    I think a BlackBerry device that is highly secure and also happens to run Android would be more successful in enterprise than a Windows 10 Mobile device.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    07-13-15 09:00 PM

... and share the same market share as "PC vs. Mac"...

Unless, they (Apple) decide to unify the OSes and Macs are starting to sell like iPhones now. On the desktop though (desktop applications), Mac still has an app gap.

:-D

  "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-15 09:05 PM
    I think a BlackBerry device that is highly secure and also happens to run Android would be more successful in enterprise than a Windows 10 Mobile device.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    I'd like to believe that too, but if Windows 10 is a game changer for MS then I think all bets off. Adoption rates are going to be key for this second half of this year for MS. Now a BlackBerry 10 running any other OS in a hypervisor would be the bomb. Android, Windows 10, iOS....BB10 security plus your invested mobile OS/apps.
    07-14-15 09:04 AM
    ... and share the same market share as "PC vs. Mac"...

Unless, they (Apple) decide to unify the OSes and Macs are starting to sell like iPhones now. On the desktop though (desktop applications), Mac still has an app gap.

:-D

  "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."  
    Thats actually a good model/ goalpost for BlackBerry ie. Profitable niche market with sufficient userbase demand and developer support to sustain it.

!
    07-14-15 02:55 PM
    Most corporate block the Windows store. I don't really see apps store for windows being big for MS on enterprise.

Enterprise still relies on real apps.

Mobile wise sure, but windows store is as barren as BB Appworld.
    07-14-15 04:06 PM
    Most corporate block the Windows store. I don't really see apps store for windows being big for MS on enterprise.

Makes sense, I would if I had to as well, but does MS (I just have no idea, haven't need to worry about it) have a way of managing the App store for its end points? ie Policy/Server EMM or something.
    07-15-15 08:48 AM
    No Idea. But enterprise blocks it using Group policies usually. Mine does.
    07-15-15 08:51 AM
    I looked it up to see what they had.

Per the details over at MS website:
    The System Center Configuration Manager Company Portal app allows users of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machines to view and install applications made available to the user by their administrators. The machine must be managed by Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, or later, with the agent installed. Note: For Window 10 support, Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager SP1 is required.

The app communicates directly with the Configuration Manager on-premise server infrastructure. Note that this contrasts with the Microsoft Intune Company Portal app (available through the Windows Store and the Download Center) which communicates directly with the Microsoft Intune service.

Assuming you have useful desktop apps in the store, IT can whitelist apps for managed devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-15-15 11:15 AM

.... which are called applications and / or programs... :-)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-15-15 05:49 PM
    I've had a MS Surface Pro 3 for a month now and it has really impressed me; just a superb piece of computer tech / hardware and OS. Never thought I'd make significant use of cloud based storage but I'm thinking MS has it with One Drive & Office 365. Now a Windows phone would be my first choice if BlackBerry drops their hardware division, so sure hope that they don't go away completely. Maybe BB and MS should get a partnership going.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    07-16-15 12:19 AM
    Bb10 is better then windows couse bb users have option to install android app if its not awalable for built for bb
    But windows user don't have option

Posted from earth
    07-16-15 11:39 AM
    .... which are called applications and / or programs... :-)

•   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   •
    I was explaining that to my Mother in Law the other day. Funny how new is really old just re-wrapped to look like its new.
    07-17-15 09:31 AM
    I've had a MS Surface Pro 3 for a month now and it has really impressed me; just a superb piece of computer tech / hardware and OS. Never thought I'd make significant use of cloud based storage but I'm thinking MS has it with One Drive & Office 365. Now a Windows phone would be my first choice if BlackBerry drops their hardware division, so sure hope that they don't go away completely. Maybe BB and MS should get a partnership going.

Posted via CB10
    What I don't like in Windows 8.1 is having to log into Windows with a Microsoft account to be able to use OneDrive. The separate login under Windows 8(.0) was more to my liking... :-)

And it probably becoming inevitable at some stage to use anything Windows. Brave new connected cloud world...

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-19-15 07:20 PM
43 12