02-15-15 10:32 AM
174 ... 34567
tools
    A fingerprint to a company with known security issues? Icloud hacked celebrity photos...C'mon man! And no...Apple doesn't have a hub...otherwise they would be paying Blackberry.

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    02-08-15 12:57 AM
    And what if a unifed Windows 10 does not attract devs, and thus re-energize WinPhone?
    Windows 10 is Windows Phone's last hope.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-15 03:03 AM
    Nice to hear this greatr
    02-08-15 03:12 AM
    And what if a unifed Windows 10 does not attract devs, and thus re-energize WinPhone?
    I don't want this to read too much as a Windows 10 promotion, "...and now a word from our sponsor" , but you did ask.

I tend to agree with Birdman on this. Windows 10 is the "Hail Mary Pass" for Microsoft in the case of WinPhone.

For PC's, not so much.

Windows 10 looks like a winner to me (I'm running the trial now). It's like someone in MS really was paying heed to the criticism, and near-universal dislike, of the paradigm shift that was Windows 8. Windows 10 "feels" like a slick evolution of the popular Windows 7, and anyone who has previously used Windows won't have any issues in migrating IMO. Unlike Windows 8, the App panel isn't "in yer face" but forms part of the desktop backdrop and can even be turned off.

For phones, I guess we'll see.

I read the other day that the WinPhone Appstore is up to 400,000 (obviously native) apps now, so it's growing. Whether it's growing fast enough, I don't know. The phones themselves are popular according to sales stats, though mostly in the UK and Europe. Which means there are already enough devices out there to attract Devs it seems.

The prospect of a unified experience across PCs and phones does appeal to me. And I'm sure Microsoft are hoping I'm a typical user! LOL

For example, I'm looking forward to being able to run my phone Apps (which often have more functionality, accessed more quickly, than using the browser) on my PC. And being able to use the full Office suite on my phone, editing the same documents regardless of platform, would be fantastic!

Come the Autumn, we'll see whether the reality matches the hype I guess.

One huge advantage that Microsoft have over BlackBerry is that Microsoft have enough money to get WinPhone10 right, even if it takes them a couple of Hail Mary throws!

Thor called it a couple of years ago for BlackBerry. "This has to succeed" is what he said at the time of the launch of BB10. Regardless of the genuine merits of BB10, it hasn't succeeded in attracting Devs or users to the platform.

Microsoft's first throw might not connect either, but by the time they release WinPhone10.1, I anticipate they'll succeed. They'll still be a poor #3 behind Apple and Android, but they'll be in a good place to grow, and the "write once, run everywhere" paradigm will attract both Devs and consumers IMO.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-08-15 05:29 AM
    Does or will BB link work with windows 10?

02-08-15 05:49 AM
    Does or will BB link work with windows 10?
    I haven't tried it, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work under Windows 10 as well as it currently does under Windows 7. While the Windows 10 laptop isn't my daily driver, as the OS is still a beta, all of the other programs I've installed seem to work fine.

I guess it's more a question of how well BB Link has been written actually. I've read of a few issues with BB Link here in the forums in the past, and my memories of using the previous BB Desktop Software with my Playbook/Torch aren't fond ones.
    02-08-15 07:36 AM
    What?

There's no conspiracy here. Sorry if you don't agree. Also would add if this doesn't apply to you why take offense?

Do you one better

I apologize for the use of the term crackberry fan boys. It's inflammatory I should have chosen my words more precisely.

Everything else I said stands

!
    Look, the Android runtime has ruined BB10. That poster was right. And 10.3 is a step in the wrong direction.

I certainly prefer cascades and bb10 to anything else, however.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 08:10 AM
    I don't want this to read too much as a Windows 10 promotion, "...and now a word from our sponsor" , but you did ask.

I tend to agree with Birdman on this. Windows 10 is the "Hail Mary Pass" for Microsoft in the case of WinPhone.

For PC's, not so much.

Windows 10 looks like a winner to me (I'm running the trial now). It's like someone in MS really was paying heed to the criticism, and near-universal dislike, of the paradigm shift that was Windows 8. Windows 10 "feels" like a slick evolution of the popular Windows 7, and anyone who has previously used Windows won't have any issues in migrating IMO. Unlike Windows 8, the App panel isn't "in yer face" but forms part of the desktop backdrop and can even be turned off.

For phones, I guess we'll see.

I read the other day that the WinPhone Appstore is up to 400,000 (obviously native) apps now, so it's growing. Whether it's growing fast enough, I don't know. The phones themselves are popular according to sales stats, though mostly in the UK and Europe. Which means there are already enough devices out there to attract Devs it seems.

The prospect of a unified experience across PCs and phones does appeal to me. And I'm sure Microsoft are hoping I'm a typical user! LOL

For example, I'm looking forward to being able to run my phone Apps (which often have more functionality, accessed more quickly, than using the browser) on my PC. And being able to use the full Office suite on my phone, editing the same documents regardless of platform, would be fantastic!

Come the Autumn, we'll see whether the reality matches the hype I guess.

One huge advantage that Microsoft have over BlackBerry is that Microsoft have enough money to get WinPhone10 right, even if it takes them a couple of Hail Mary throws!

Thor called it a couple of years ago for BlackBerry. "This has to succeed" is what he said at the time of the launch of BB10. Regardless of the genuine merits of BB10, it hasn't succeeded in attracting Devs or users to the platform.

Microsoft's first throw might not connect either, but by the time they release WinPhone10.1, I anticipate they'll succeed. They'll still be a poor #3 behind Apple and Android, but they'll be in a good place to grow, and the "write once, run everywhere" paradigm will attract both Devs and consumers IMO.
    Well said. It's an interesting place Microsoft is in compared to BlackBerry. The true test is how they recover from the damage done by Windows 8. It likely didn't harm Windows Phone sales (only their lack of marketing does). The Windows store on desktop is still fairly new. Lots of room to grow.

The difference is Microsoft has deep pockets and an healthy ecosystem. BlackBerry doesn't...which means in 2015 some impacting strategic decisions will have to be made.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-15 09:21 AM
    A fingerprint to a company with known security issues? Icloud hacked celebrity photos...C'mon man! And no...Apple doesn't have a hub...otherwise they would be paying Blackberry.

A fingerprint lock is better than no lock at all which is how most people have their phone configured.
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-08-15 10:48 AM
    Windows 10 is Windows Phone's last hope.
    Perhaps, but Microsoft has the resources to keep trying.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-15 10:50 AM
    The difference is Microsoft has deep pockets and an healthy ecosystem. BlackBerry doesn't...which means in 2015 some impacting strategic decisions will have to be made.
    I agree with you that BB has some difficult decisions to make this year. Not least what to do about BB10 & handsets.

Off-topic (sorry) but IMO, I reckon BlackBerry (the company) will survive, and may even thrive, on the back of enterprise software and BES12. I don't have the same confidence for the prospects of BlackBerry (the handset maker).

Chen himself has already set the passing criteria: The HW division must make device sales of over 10M/year to be profitable. Chen has also stated that BlackBerry can't afford to carry unprofitable divisions.

Unless a miracle occurs in the next quarter, BB will come nowhere close to selling 10M devices/year, and applying Chen's statements yields an inescapable conclusion for the future of BB handsets. There isn't one.

Veering back towards the topic: I reckon there is actually more chance of BlackBerry dropping BB10 in place of a re-skinned Google Android than there is of Microsoft adopting Android. Microsoft may have a difficult decision to make if WinPhone10 doesn't thrive, but that crisis (if it comes) won't be until 2016. BlackBerry's crisis is right now, and will be resolved (one way or the other) over the next two quarters.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-08-15 at 11:47 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-08-15 11:35 AM
    I agree with you that BB has some difficult decisions to make this year. Not least what to do about BB10 & handsets.

Off-topic (sorry) but IMO, I reckon BlackBerry (the company) will survive, and may even thrive, on the back of enterprise software and BES12. I don't have the same confidence for the prospects of BlackBerry (the handset maker).

Chen himself has already set the passing criteria: The HW division must make device sales of over 10M/year to be profitable. Chen has also stated that BlackBerry can't afford to carry unprofitable divisions.

Unless a miracle occurs in the next quarter, BB will come nowhere close to selling 10M devices/year, and applying Chen's statements yields an inescapable conclusion for the future of BB handsets. There isn't one.

Veering back towards the topic: I reckon there is actually more chance of BlackBerry dropping BB10 in place of a re-skinned Google Android than there is of Microsoft adopting Android. Microsoft may have a difficult decision to make if WinPhone10 doesn't thrive, but that crisis (if it comes) won't be until 2016. BlackBerry's crisis is right now, and will be resolved (one way or the other) over the next two quarters.
    I don't think they can succeed with just BES12. They need to provide enterprises with a reason to run BES12 other than legacy BB7 devices. They need to actually compete with Good.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-08-15 01:44 PM
    Why would blackberry come out with the passport if they were unsure of keeping the phone aspect going? And more importantly why would ATT ( the world's largest carrier) agree to carry them then? I like Blackberry and I am going to continue using them and I don't think I'm alone.

02-08-15 03:43 PM
    Why would BlackBerrycome out with the Passport if they were unsure of keeping the phone aspect going? And more importantly why would ATT (the world's largest carrier) agree to carry them then?
    Likely because they have contracts to fulfil.
    02-08-15 04:20 PM
    Why would blackberry come out with the passport if they were unsure of keeping the phone aspect going? And more importantly why would ATT ( the world's largest carrier) agree to carry them then? I like Blackberry and I am going to continue using them and I don't think I'm alone.

AT&T is not even close to being "the world's largest carrier."

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-08-15 05:42 PM
    Oh really? They only invented communication..aka Ma Bell. Who do you think is the world largest carrier? Besides China's government...

02-08-15 06:39 PM
    Oh really? They only invented communication..aka Ma Bell. Who do you think is the world largest carrier? Besides China's government...

You know AT&T was broken up by the U.S. government right?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-08-15 06:53 PM
    Yes..and it's a lot of Verizon and ATT here. However...Att is GSM and they sub contract a boatload of GSM networks in different countries under different names. They have a ton of companies under them, and they skate rules by being the "parent company". I'm not sure if they are the largest...but they are HUGE..and not just in the US. I use a z10 here with them and have had zero issues. I have had other phones, carriers and been through the whole rooting androids and jail breaking iphones...and this z10 is awesome. The best...no, but in an age where info and marketing is king...it gives me all the features of a smartphone that I like...without coughing up my info to Google, Apple or Microsoft. Not that I totally hate those, but we pay sooo much for smartphones so why would I want to pay for marketing and to be marketed to or to "share" my info? If I pay 300 to 600 for a device...why should I have to look at targeted ads at all?? Well, with blackberry...I closed the door and didn't look back. it is so nice to have a smartphone where apps and permissions can be controlled more than any other device I have used.

But as a side note...I hope Windows 10 does ok because I don't like sacrificing info to the Google machine.

02-08-15 07:16 PM

How are you measuring 'largest' if you mean by revenue AT&T is certainly among the top 5 due to the high cost of mobile plans in the US. If you mean by subscribers they barely make the top 10 with Chinese carriers, Vodaphone, DT, Orange all bigger than AT&T.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-08-15 07:23 PM
    That's like calling the BlackBerry Storm the "iPhone killer". lol
    Don't think I was fully serious....
    BlackBerry 'might' have been. :-D

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 02-08-15 at 08:42 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-08-15 08:27 PM
    How are you measuring 'largest' if you mean by revenue AT&T is certainly among the top 5 due to the high cost of mobile plans in the US. If you mean by subscribers they barely make the top 10 with Chinese carriers, Vodaphone, DT, Orange all bigger than AT&T.
    How about by market capitalization?
    02-08-15 09:25 PM
    How about by market capitalization?
    For an example China Mobile is at 275B and AT&T is at 180B. Voda 93B DT 71B Orange 29B . For reference Verizon is at 205B.
    02-09-15 12:11 AM
    Yes..and it's a lot of Verizon and ATT here. However...Att is GSM and they sub contract a boatload of GSM networks in different countries under different names. They have a ton of companies under them, and they skate rules by being the "parent company". I'm not sure if they are the largest...but they are HUGE..and not just in the US. I use a z10 here with them and have had zero issues. I have had other phones, carriers and been through the whole rooting androids and jail breaking iphones...and this z10 is awesome. The best...no, but in an age where info and marketing is king...it gives me all the features of a smartphone that I like...without coughing up my info to Google, Apple or Microsoft. Not that I totally hate those, but we pay sooo much for smartphones so why would I want to pay for marketing and to be marketed to or to "share" my info? If I pay 300 to 600 for a device...why should I have to look at targeted ads at all?? Well, with blackberry...I closed the door and didn't look back. it is so nice to have a smartphone where apps and permissions can be controlled more than any other device I have used.

But as a side note...I hope Windows 10 does ok because I don't like sacrificing info to the Google machine.

LOL. You speak in absolutes but when shown to be wrong back off and speak in more poor absolutes. Z10 is a horrible phone compared to the Z30 and most other devices. Horrific battery life, small screen, and laggy Android support. Z30 addressed these issues but BlackBerry put zero effort into selling the phone. My Z10 couldn't even stay charged while running Waze and no screen (HDMI out). BBM is throwing targeted ads at you to try to monetize it pushing stickers in the channel feed. Just a matter of time until BlackBerry/BBM starts selling your info to other to try to push product X in the feed or worse. How well are Android permissions, especially since we are reliant on Android apps for a complete experience?

I too prefer BlackBerry to the competition, but don't delude yourself and put BlackBerry so high on the pedestal. If they were as F'ing awesome as you make them out to be they would be in a much better position than they are now. BlackBerry as a company is an incompetent, schizophrenic mess that changes it target market quarterly and burns loyal customers regularly with poor support, broken promises, and pissing off developers and telling them to develop Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 06:37 AM
    Not really. My z10 has zero issues with battery or software except for Link can be buggy. Maps works here in the states for me. BBM is nothing like Facebook. Back to task and I'll use this as an example. 2008...I had an 8310 and my friend had a first Gen IPhone which was the trend. My 8310 was logging into 3 different email accounts and using a Citrix timecard system for work. His phone couldn't do that. He did have a nice display to look at coy fish if he was bored and he did have more apps but that phone was not as productive. His battery would last a day...mine would last 3. Now, let's fast forward...the Hub is hands down the best, anyone would agree. So given the fact that the Hub masters communications..why would people by other products? My guess is because the majority don't use their phones as tools...they use them to play games at the dentist office :-) I'm sorry you take my opinion as an absolute, I won't apologize for being high on Blackberry.

02-09-15 03:52 PM
    Not really. My z10 has zero issues with battery or software except for Link can be buggy. Maps works here in the states for me. BBM is nothing like Facebook. Back to task and I'll use this as an example. 2008...I had an 8310 and my friend had a first Gen IPhone which was the trend. My 8310 was logging into 3 different email accounts and using a Citrix timecard system for work. His phone couldn't do that. He did have a nice display to look at coy fish if he was bored and he did have more apps but that phone was not as productive. His battery would last a day...mine would last 3. Now, let's fast forward...the Hub is hands down the best, anyone would agree. So given the fact that the Hub masters communications..why would people by other products? My guess is because the majority don't use their phones as tools...they use them to play games at the dentist office :-) I'm sorry you take my opinion as an absolute, I won't apologize for being high on Blackberry.

Not everyone agrees that "the Hub is hands down the best", it is frequently criticized in reviews. What reviewers do like with the classic at least is the PKB. Someone who wants a Classic really is prioritizing tool over toy.

If your view of the iPhone is based on a friend with a first gen device, it is hilariously out of date. My iPhone is permanently logged in to three email accounts and several messaging services. I don't have a timesheet system but it works great with my company expense system and I receipt scanning app I have.
    02-09-15 05:28 PM
174 ... 34567