02-15-15 09:32 AM
174 ... 23456 ...
tools
    It would be far better to build MS or Google services or iOS services on top of QNX rather than on BSD or Linux.

This is the problem of all OSes and seeing how Samsung has invested so much in parallel services to Google, and seeing what a PITA developing in Java for Android is (memory leaks abound even in Android 5 ART) , BBRY must be highly coveted.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Why would Apple, Google or Microsoft build services on top of QNX?
    If BB is so highly coveted, why do BB users have to rely on Amazon Android apps?
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-01-15 09:52 AM
    There was no bait and switch.

Google play is totally separate from Android OS and was NEVER OPEN SOURCE.

!
    I never said it was. Google has been moving features and functionality out of Android and into Google Play services. Thus the increasing reliance on Google Play services.
    dolco likes this.
    02-01-15 11:25 AM
    I don't use Amazon apps. I could if I wanted to. I would have to give up the same permissions that Google and Apple ask for. I bought a BlackBerry to keep my private life private. If apps was all I cared about I would just go back to Droid. If I want social Apps on my BlackBerry I can have them, but BlackBerry give me choices which is something the others don't. BlackBerry gives me more choices in terms of what I "share" or if I want social stalking Apps. Or just use my phone for Business...once again choices. I can actually unintstall **** I don't like without having to jail break or root or otherwise risk bricking my devices just so I can have privacy. And I don't think I'm totally alone in this matter. I might be a minority, but I don't give up privacy for OMG teenage girl Apps.

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    02-01-15 11:09 PM
    I never said it was. Google has been moving features and functionality out of Android and into Google Play services. Thus the increasing reliance on Google Play services.
    Can you describe such a functionality that was in Android at one point and then it was moved in Google Play services? I as an app developer have not yet had such a problem.

Android at it's core as a standalone os is not and should not be tied to any service provider (google or microsoft).
    02-02-15 07:54 AM
    Can you describe such a functionality that was in Android at one point and then it was moved in Google Play services? I as an app developer have not yet had such a problem.

Android at it's core as a standalone os is not and should not be tied to any service provider (google or microsoft).
    This is a good article about it:
    Google's iron grip on Android: controlling open source by any means necessary (Wired UK)

It was originally on Ars Technica, which is where I would have read it:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...ans-necessary/
    Last edited by DaedalusIcarusHelios; 02-02-15 at 09:23 AM.
    LuvULongTime and ubizmo like this.
    02-02-15 08:48 AM
    Thanks for the link.

The only things i can agree with as being an "abuse" by google are the location stack API and notification API. The maps API, play games and the store i am ok with being proprietary.
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-02-15 09:12 AM
    They could if they wanted to.

<Insert typical argument about Android being inherently insecure that has been beat to death already so I'm not even going to bother mentioning it. >
    Yet you did

 Z10
    02-03-15 07:12 PM
    Yet you did

 Z10
    At least I kept it short as possible.
    02-03-15 07:36 PM
    I think what MS hopes in the long run, is that developers and consumers alike will opt to leave Google Play Services dependent functionality which will make Android Apps run all that much better on MS Phones. Will help BlackBerry too but that is another story.
    Ballmer is finally getting his revenge,... LOL :-)
    He was "going to f****** kill Google"...

Embrace, extend, extinguish...
    Another round, or what? 8-o

Release the Kraken!

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-05-15 01:21 AM
    Ballmer is finally getting his revenge,... LOL :-)
    He was "going to f****** kill Google"...
    That's like calling the BlackBerry Storm the "iPhone killer". lol
    02-06-15 09:58 AM
    Apple survived the 90s and early 2000s somehow with hardly ANYONE using their products. I had seen and used Apple in the 80s..then they fell off the face of the earth until what 2007 08. BlackBerry will survive and hopefully thrive.. as YES, my Z10 IS better than an IPhone 5.

02-06-15 12:52 PM
    Apple survived the 90s and early 2000s somehow with hardly ANYONE using their products. I had seen and used Apple in the 80s..then they fell off the face of the earth until what 2007 08. BlackBerry will survive and hopefully thrive.. as YES, my Z10 IS better than an IPhone 5.

There were still a lot of Macs around throughout the 80's and 90's. The iMac came 'round 'bout 98 and was a modest hit until that one thing came along and set Apple along the road to becoming the biggest company ever. What was it? Oh right. The iPod.

Yeah. Apple "somehow survived" alright.

Some sorcery or black magic Blackberry hasn't been able to get their heads 'round.

It's called "designing and building products lots of people agree are awesome."

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-15 11:08 PM
    There were still a lot of Macs around throughout the 80's and 90's. The iMac came 'round 'bout 98 and was a modest hit until that one thing came along and set Apple along the road to becoming the biggest company ever. What was it? Oh right. The iPod.

Yeah. Apple "somehow survived" alright.

Some sorcery or black magic Blackberry hasn't been able to get their heads 'round.

It's called "designing and building products lots of people agree are awesome."
    Yes, indeed.

Macs owned the desktop publishing space throughout the 80's & 90's. Any professionally produced glossy magazine that you picked up throughout that period was guaran-damn-teed to have been put together with QuarkXPress on a Mac!

The Apple "somehow survived" narrative has always been strong on CB. It perpetuates a myth that Apple's success is just down to good luck, rather than because Apple put in the effort necessary to design and produce products that millions upon millions of people wanted to buy.

Maintaining a belief that Apple's success is just a matter of luck allows the possibility that all a BB recovery will need is for Lady Luck to smile in BlackBerry's direction, and all will be well again. A scenario that requires No effort from BB, no design-led products that appeal to the masses - just a change of luck and then BB will be in clover.

Dreams huh? I guess you gotta have 'em
    mornhavon and Witmen like this.
    02-07-15 05:18 AM
    By "lots of people" your referring to teenage girls and grandma's right? They were pretty silly to buy an ipod when my phone held All my music...and this is back when I had an 8310 (2007). I mean why carry 2 devices?? I never understood that. It's kinda like having a landline and also a smartphone...just plain silly. And besides swiping is sooo sooo much better than tap tap tap, whoops, more tapping.

02-07-15 05:21 AM
    90s and early 2000s apple owned what?? Are you kidding? You never saw another Mac in a school or DMV...Windows dominated and so did Blackberry. The best thing Apple did was Simplify a smartphone (make it dummyproof) so teenage girls and grandma's could use it and Face time. Other than that...nothing original comes from Apple. Now after 2008/09 Droid dominated and BlackBerry failed to keep up...but that's changing. BlackBerry had Apps and Icons before any other phone except for maybe the Palm..

02-07-15 05:31 AM
    90s and early 2000s apple owned what?? Are you kidding? You never saw another Mac in a school or DMV...Windows dominated and so did Blackberry. The best thing Apple did was Simplify a smartphone (make it dummyproof) so teenage girls and grandma's could use it and Face time. Other than that...nothing original comes from Apple. Now after 2008/09 Droid dominated and BlackBerry failed to keep up...but that's changing. BlackBerry had Apps and Icons before any other phone except for maybe the Palm..

So you think the iPhone succeeded because it was simple? The web browser had nothing to do with it., or the glass capacitive touch screen, or the robust an reliable OS.

I understand why you believe BB is poised for a big comeback.
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    02-07-15 06:40 AM
    90s and early 2000s apple owned what?? Are you kidding? You never saw another Mac in a school or DMV...Windows dominated and so did Blackberry. The best thing Apple did was Simplify a smartphone (make it dummyproof) so teenage girls and grandma's could use it and Face time. Other than that...nothing original comes from Apple.
    You seem to have something against teenaged girls and Grandma's .. maybe you're one of those "haters" I see constantly referred to on these forums?

I suspect that you might be too young to properly recall the 80's & 90's but, speaking as someone who was there at the time, I'm pretty sure that few schools or DMV's were responsible for the production of professional mass-media magazines. On the other hand, All of the publishing houses used Macs, running QuarkXPress, to produce their output. Just as now, PC's were used by the accounts people to run the business but PC had no place within the publishing space. That space was completely owned by Macs/Quark.

However, I bow to your superior wisdom. You are correct, nothing original has ever come from Apple. Their past and continuing success is simply down to luck.

I'm reminded of the old story:

Two proud mothers discussing their sons.

Mother #1: "Your son is so lucky, the nice house, the cars, the lovely lifestyle. He's so lucky!"
    Mother #2: "Yes, my son is very lucky. And, do you know, the harder he works, the luckier he gets?"

Apple is "lucky" in the same way.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-07-15 08:38 AM
    I'm 42..and remember well. I was using cells when you carried them in a big suitcase. Desktop publishing, pictures....fine...you win. But in 90s early 2000s was there a Mac in every house??...no. Absolutely not. There was a PC in just about every house and no one was doing their taxes on a Mac. In the mean time I was checking 3 different emails on my BB and logging into a time clock from work....Icrap was not doing that at the time.

02-07-15 03:35 PM
    And I mentioned nothing of "luck ". Apple has had about a good 6 year run with smartphones...Are they the best smartphone? No. Have they passed Android? No. Have they retired Blackberry? No. Do they have more than 50% of the market? No. Better marketing and ads...sure, but that's about it. Your using an Android app on a Blackberry blog...so who is the troll??

02-07-15 03:43 PM
    Wow

What was this thread about?

Anything said on these forums other than Lagdroid, isheep, Google= Skynet= NSA, or BB10 and the capacitive touch keyboard is the tits is met with fierce criticism.

Boggles the mind.

So I guess this is about how Microsoft and cyanogen will overtake Android so that Microsoft and BlackBerry won't have to gain actual developer support.

Next someone will start a petition to make all carriers support BB10. Or maybe a mandate that all government agencies worldwide use BES.

Maybe put guns to people's head to make them buy a classic.

Drop that IPhone *****, this ain't no mother****in game!

!
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    02-07-15 04:07 PM
    And I mentioned nothing of "luck ". Apple has had about a good 6 year run with smartphones...Are they the best smartphone? No. Have they passed Android? No. Have they retired Blackberry? No. Do they have more than 50% of the market? No. Better marketing and ads...sure, but that's about it. Your using an Android app on a Blackberry blog...so who is the troll??
    Ah, yes. The old "Apple's success with iOS is simply down to better marketing and ads" delusion.

I guess if you believe that all iSheepTM are fools who are incapable of seeing beyond the marketing hype, then that's as good a reason as any for Apple's success with iPhones.

There's an old saying: You can polish a turd as much as you like, but ultimately it's still a turd.

After a number of years of polishing, if marketing hype and slick ads were all there was to it, I doubt Apple would be posting the biggest profit for any company ever! (as I believe they've just done).

I realise that for many CB'ers, believing that anyone who disagrees with their point of view must be a troll or hater is as natural as breathing... but believing doesn't necessarily make it true.

P.S. On-topic: as I said in post 33, I reckon MS have zero interest in Android and are just being disruptive to rain on Google's parade. MS is instead banking on Windows10, and its ability to run "everything everywhere" (if the hype is to be believed), to reenergise WinPhone.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-07-15 at 05:24 PM.
    02-07-15 04:53 PM
    P.S. On-topic: as I said in post 33, I reckon MS have zero interest in Android and are just being disruptive to rain on Google's parade. MS is instead banking on Windows10, and its ability to run "everything everywhere" (if the hype is to be believed), to reenergise WinPhone.
    I suspect you might be right. But ever the optimist,...I'm hopeful they'll do SOMETHING, anything at all would make me happy, with AOSP and Cyanogen simply because it's there and I think Google almost wishes they'd never open-sourced Android to begin with.

(And this time, I'm posting from a MacBook. For those that care about that kind of thing .)
    02-07-15 05:34 PM
    No delusion...IPhone simply cannot check 3 different emails, texts and calls at the same time= lesser phone. My z10 is 2 yrs old..and yet is still more productive. Picture password>than Apple security.BBM...once again...better. Yes...it is a better device. Unless your a gamer...Then by all means use apple. So in short yes...ISheep listen to marketing and it is a polished turd.

02-07-15 11:41 PM
    No delusion...IPhone simply cannot check 3 different emails, texts and calls at the same time= lesser phone. My z10 is 2 yrs old..and yet is still more productive. Picture password>than Apple security.BBM...once again...better. Yes...it is a better device. Unless your a gamer...Then by all means use apple. So in short yes...ISheep listen to marketing and it is a polished turd.

Yes it can. Also, Apple's finger print reader is better than any password system.
    02-07-15 11:46 PM

MS is instead banking on Windows10, and its ability to run "everything everywhere" (if the hype is to be believed), to reenergise WinPhone.
    And what if a unifed Windows 10 does not attract devs, and thus re-energize WinPhone?
    02-07-15 11:57 PM
174 ... 23456 ...