02-15-15 10:32 AM
174 1234 ...
tools
    Developers aren't forced to use any Google services API if they don't want to. Such apps would work on any device with forked Android (BB10, Amazon Fire tablets etc).

The base os code is not tied to any service Provider (Google/Microsoft). You yourself (with enough skill) could build your own version of android and any generic app would work. The fact that most popular Android version is the Google variant is another thing. Google services are and always have been separate from the core OS. When you submit an app to Google Play you expect it to work well with Android with Google services not with Amazon or BB10 version (and we as developers don't even test for that because we submitted it to GOOGLE play, not <forked_android_market> store).
    anon1727506 and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-15 06:57 AM
    Microsoft to invest in Cyanogen, which hopes to take Android from Google | Ars Technica

...Imagine if Microsoft did create the rumored Android runtime for Windows Phone (using Cyanogen)...
    This was my first thought the second I read the story. I have one coworker that uses WA and a Surface Pro2 who I immediately told that I Think Microsoft is taking a page from BlackBerry and building an Android runtime for Windows.

Crack-a-lackin' since '08
    01-30-15 08:21 AM
    Apple and Google have tons of Apps but 60% of them are utterly useless. I'm so happy blackberry is doing better...
    So, about half a million titles are useful. That's pretty good.
    01-30-15 08:25 AM
    This was my first thought the second I read the story. I have one coworker that uses WA and a Surface Pro2 who I immediately told that I Think Microsoft is taking a page from BlackBerry and building an Android runtime for Windows.

Crack-a-lackin' since '08
    I think you are wrong. MS don't want to kill developing of native application. I think that BB's example is a warning for MS how it is bad decision. Also, majority of WP users are against Android runtime on WP. WP is dead with apps what doesn't support live tiles (very simplistic example).
    MS and CM case is just $70mio kick to Google...
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-15 09:37 AM
    *** THE PLATFORM WARS ARE OVER!! - The winners are iOS and Android ***

Blackberry and now Microsoft have fallen in line with the Android camp. Now developers know exactly what they need to reach all mobile users - Android version and iOS version. No need to look any further.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-30-15 09:53 AM

Blackberry and now Microsoft have fallen in line with the Android camp. Now developers know exactly what they need to reach all mobile users - Android version and iOS version. No need to look any further.
    Pretty much....

But I still look at how popular and fairly large the Kindle ecosystem is... and yet many developer ignore it.

Really think that the only way in the future to get the Android Apps you want... is going to be by using an Android Device. Just making an OS that is capable of running Android, doesn't really seem to mean all that much. Now maybe Microsoft can do a better job of it with their larger marketshare - as they'll lump all devices (desktops, laptop, tablets and phone) under one platform with Windows 10. And lets not forget they do have some CASH to throw around.

But every few weeks I run into a new App that has added Goggle Services... I think that many developers welcome a little less open and more controlled ecosystem.... where you can't just do a search and find almost any APK online somewhere for free.

But I'm not a developer, and I don't know why some refuse to take their Apps to Amazon or BlackBerry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-15 10:22 AM
    But I still look at how popular and fairly large the Kindle ecosystem is... and yet many developer ignore it.

If I were a developer (come to think of it, I am), I wouldn't bother trying to sell apps to people who either couldn't get themselves to spend more than $200 on a tablet or don't value the experience enough to buy something other than a Kindle. It just doesn't bode well for the ecosystem. When someone buys an iPad you just know they are going to buy into the ecosystem.

I'll bet a lot of developers feel the same way about Blackberry users - the kind of person who bought their retro-smartphone primarily to do email and texting is probably not the kind of person that goes around buying and using apps.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-30-15 at 11:17 AM.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-30-15 11:04 AM
    I think you are wrong. MS don't want to kill developing of native application. I think that BB's example is a warning for MS how it is bad decision. Also, majority of WP users are against Android runtime on WP. WP is dead with apps what doesn't support live tiles (very simplistic example).
    MS and CM case is just $70mio kick to Google...
    Yes, agreed.

It astonishes me whenever I read reports that Microsoft is considering bringing an Android runtime to WinPhone. I think that would be an absolutely insane corporate decision for Microsoft to make, and I can't see it ever happening. Even ignoring the evidence of how "well" a similar strategy has worked out for BlackBerry, they'd be cutting the potential for Windows10 (for phones) off at the knees.

Myself, I reckon Microsoft are just being disruptive.

The money being talked about is piffling small change for Microsoft, and if funding Cyanogen can cause trouble for Google Play, that's a result for Microsoft.
    dolco likes this.
    01-30-15 01:30 PM
    I don't think Microsoft is desperate enough to go with Android runtime. They have the unified Windows 10 coming and it should get developers to at least look at the whole platform again.
    I don't think the market could sustain a fourth platform though, so BB10 will only exist as an mobile OS tethered to the Android ecosystem, specialized in serving business users.
    dolco likes this.
    01-30-15 01:53 PM
    I don't think Microsoft is desperate enough to go with Android runtime. They have the unified Windows 10 coming and it should get developers to at least look at the whole platform again.
    I don't think the market could sustain a fourth platform though, so BB10 will only exist as an mobile OS tethered to the Android ecosystem, specialized in serving business users.
    I agree, I think MS will ride this out using Windows 10's universal apps that work on any form factor, which leverages Windows' strength in the PC world. I think Cyanogen can only help (directly or indirectly) if we see more entrants into the market that have non-Google Android. With the restrictions imposed on members of the Open Handset Alliance, I think it'd need to be new vendors, or perhaps Chinese vendors that don't already rely on Google.
    dolco likes this.
    01-30-15 02:08 PM

That could change with Windows Phone 10. The idea of devs writing one app for several Microsoft platforms may be alluring.
    kbz1960, dolco and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-15 03:15 PM
    That's what it is right now.
    01-30-15 03:18 PM

The platform war is over as much as it was in 2007 when BlackBerry was on top. At the end of the day it is about market, and more importantly, mind share. Android and iOS own both today. If you can guarantee this will be the case in the future then I want you buying my lottery tickets.

You have to look at the big picture and longer term strategy for both MS and BlackBerry. If they can leverage Android apps as a means to sell enough devices and build meaningful market share then they can make a case to devs to go native eventually. I don't see MS going Android yet. I believe they will want to see how a unified Windows 10 does with devs. On paper it sounds very enticing. But if they still cannot gain traction then do not be the least bit surprised if they adapt an android runtime across Windows 10 that plays nicely with their live tiles and other OS nuances.

If I were a developer (come to think of it, I am), I wouldn't bother trying to sell apps to people who either couldn't get themselves to spend more than $200 on a tablet or don't value the experience enough to buy something other than a Kindle. It just doesn't bode well for the ecosystem. When someone buys an iPad you just know they are going to buy into the ecosystem.

I'll bet a lot of developers feel the same way about Blackberry users - the kind of person who bought their retro-smartphone primarily to do email and texting is probably not the kind of person that goes around buying and using apps.
    Here's the thing, do you have any cold hard stats that tell you the avg spend per kindle user? Or BlackBerry user? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't think anyone really knows except Amazon and BlackBerry. Assuming you are incorrect, this is where BlackBerry needs to generate stats for devs like yourself to dispel that notion, and in fact prove that BlackBerry users will spend on apps.

And what does this say about Android? Android users aren't exactly known as big spenders either. Really, iOS is where all the money is for devs right now.

Yes, agreed.

It astonishes me whenever I read reports that Microsoft is considering bringing an Android runtime to WinPhone. I think that would be an absolutely insane corporate decision for Microsoft to make, and I can't see it ever happening. Even ignoring the evidence of how "well" a similar strategy has worked out for BlackBerry, they'd be cutting the potential for Windows10 (for phones) off at the knees.

Myself, I reckon Microsoft are just being disruptive.

The money being talked about is piffling small change for Microsoft, and if funding Cyanogen can cause trouble for Google Play, that's a result for Microsoft.
    If Windows 10 does not generate the developer interest they expect, don't be shocked to see them implement some sort of Android runtime temporarily. As I said above, they will leverage it until they generate enough market share to then get devs to go native. Not really a bad strategy. In BlackBerry's case it hasn't worked due to a whole host of other issues, mostly perception amongst the general public in the USA. They could have a fully stocked native app store but would still struggle to sell devices. It is hard to sell anything when people think you are bankrupt.

With 1.55 billion smartphone users in 2014, and 4.55 billion feature phone users, there is more than enough room for multiple players in the game. I never understood this thinking that the market could only sustain 2 or 3 competitors. If the market can sustain multiple auto manufacturers, then I see no reason why it cannot sustain multiple phone vendors with reasonable ecosystems.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-30-15 03:59 PM
    I'd be gobsmacked if this was for a Win10 Android runtime. Perhaps in a break out the fire extinguisher scenario. I think its more likely that the android fork Nokia X line will get the CM treatment.
    01-30-15 04:29 PM

With 1.55 billion smartphone users in 2014, and 4.55 billion feature phone users, there is more than enough room for multiple players in the game. I never understood this thinking that the market could only sustain 2 or 3 competitors. If the market can sustain multiple auto manufacturers, then I see no reason why it cannot sustain multiple phone vendors with reasonable ecosystems.
    The problem is that you're not looking at the right market when you compare mobile computing platform to the car manufacturers. One just needs to look at the computing platform on desktop and laptop that comes before mobile to draw parallel of the mobile platform future. There are currently three general computing platform that are very much supported and various specialized platform like Solaris and other favors of Unix that are still around but not as a general computing platform. I am predicting that the BB10 native ecosystem will be just like the Solaris platform that serves certain users but never the mainstream.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-30-15 04:30 PM
    The problem is that you're not looking at the right market when you compare mobile computing platform to the car manufacturers. One just needs to look at the computing platform on desktop and laptop that comes before mobile to draw parallel of the mobile platform future. There are currently three general computing platform that are very much supported and various specialized platform like Solaris and other favors of Unix that are still around but not as a general computing platform. I am predicting that the BB10 native ecosystem will be just like the Solaris platform that serves certain users but never the mainstream.
    I don't disagree with your comparison to the desktop and laptop market. But let's look at it critically for a second. Why was there no real alternative to desktop/laptop Windows? Is it because the market could not bare another equal competitor (equal in HW specs to price, SW availability, etc)? Or was it because potential competitors ceded the market to Microsoft?
    01-30-15 04:47 PM
    I definitely think Microsoft is thinking about an Android runtime. Why? What does Microsoft's CEO think when Bank of America announces they are stopping Windows Phone support? What can they do about it? Pay BOA a million a year? How many banks are going to have to be paid for Windows Phone users to do mobile banking like everyone else?

There's actually no other fix for it, is there? It's not like the Crackberry forums where you just dismiss someone by saying they don't need it or that they are lazy or that I get along without it, etc. Microsoft isn't used to telling their customers that they can't do something that is easily done on other platforms. I'll bet it burns them up.

A WP buddy of mine has to use a 3rd party DropCam app that has limited functionality to monitor his business. If I were Nadella I would be like "Bring me some options or bring me your resignation."
    01-30-15 06:11 PM
    I definitely think Microsoft is thinking about an Android runtime. Why? What does Microsoft's CEO think when Bank of America announces they are stopping Windows Phone support? What can they do about it? Pay BOA a million a year? How many banks are going to have to be paid for Windows Phone users to do mobile banking like everyone else?

There's actually no other fix for it, is there? It's not like the Crackberry forums where you just dismiss someone by saying they don't need it or that they are lazy or that I get along without it, etc. Microsoft isn't used to telling their customers that they can't do something that is easily done on other platforms. I'll bet it burns them up.

A WP buddy of mine has to use a 3rd party DropCam app that has limited functionality to monitor his business. If I were Nadella I would be like "Bring me some options or bring me your resignation."
    Comparing Microsoft to BlackBerry through the lens of CrackBerry is absurd. Not having apps burns BlackBerry up as much as it does Microsoft, which is why they have an Android runtime to fill in the rather large native app gap.
    sentimentGX4 and dolco like this.
    01-30-15 07:13 PM
    The fundamental problem Android has is that internally it is a mess. This is coming from a guy who's ported it twice, both times to phones that had older versions of Android but no intent from the vendor to make the newer ones work.

In both cases there were kernel and upper-level modifications required -- in one case serious modifications that were NOT fun, and ultimately only got me 95% of the way there (enough for me, but NOT enough to ever distribute to others. The problems remaining were in nasty places, such as 911 call handling with the internal radio stack callbacks, etc.)

Cyanogen isn't a bad thing but don't kid yourself; it's an adaptation and enhancement of a fundamentally messy base piece of code that was not designed to be secure or even particularly stable. Yeah, it works, after a fashion -- so does Google's version.

That doesn't mean I particularly like either.
    01-30-15 08:19 PM
    The platform war is over as much as it was in 2007 when BlackBerry was on top. At the end of the day it is about market, and more importantly, mind share. Android and iOS own both today. If you can guarantee this will be the case in the future then I want you buying my lottery tickets.

You have to look at the big picture and longer term strategy for both MS and BlackBerry. If they can leverage Android apps as a means to sell enough devices and build meaningful market share then they can make a case to devs to go native eventually. I don't see MS going Android yet. I believe they will want to see how a unified Windows 10 does with devs. On paper it sounds very enticing. But if they still cannot gain traction then do not be the least bit surprised if they adapt an android runtime across Windows 10 that plays nicely with their live tiles and other OS nuances.

Here's the thing, do you have any cold hard stats that tell you the avg spend per kindle user? Or BlackBerry user? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't think anyone really knows except Amazon and BlackBerry. Assuming you are incorrect, this is where BlackBerry needs to generate stats for devs like yourself to dispel that notion, and in fact prove that BlackBerry users will spend on apps.

And what does this say about Android? Android users aren't exactly known as big spenders either. Really, iOS is where all the money is for devs right now.

If Windows 10 does not generate the developer interest they expect, don't be shocked to see them implement some sort of Android runtime temporarily. As I said above, they will leverage it until they generate enough market share to then get devs to go native. Not really a bad strategy. In BlackBerry's case it hasn't worked due to a whole host of other issues, mostly perception amongst the general public in the USA. They could have a fully stocked native app store but would still struggle to sell devices. It is hard to sell anything when people think you are bankrupt.

^^^Worth repeating.

I don't know about anybody else in here, but I'd be really happy to have .5% (or whatever) stake in a market that continues to expand. We own less than one percent of our $9billion market and we have a pretty good time. That $9billion is down from $12billion back in 2008.
    01-30-15 08:31 PM
    ^^^Worth repeating.

I don't know about anybody else in here, but I'd be really happy to have .5% (or whatever) stake in a market that continues to expand. We own less than one percent of our $9billion market and we have a pretty good time. That $9billion is down from $12billion back in 2008.
    Absolutely! I'm having a great time with my Passport. Would love to see some stores open up in key markets throughout the world as mentioned before as a possibility. All potential customers would get that BB love from the moment they step into the store. It would be a cool experience for anyone interested in a BlackBerry. Salespeople who are knowledgeable BB allies with great phones to offer. As BB continues to show increasing promising results, more developers (perhaps) will take notice, and decide to make at least some native apps for BlackBerry. Sometime a little of something that is quality, can go a long way.
    01-30-15 09:35 PM
    It will fail miserably, for sure!
    01-30-15 10:12 PM
    And here I thought my linking directly to the Nokia device was sarcastic enough for people to catch.
    There's no sarcasm in posting a link unless it goes to the Onion.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 11:19 PM
    Bloomberg says its for an Android phone

Microsoft Corp. is holding discussions with mobile startup Cyanogen Inc. about creating a version of the Android mobile-operating system that’s more friendly to Microsoft services, according to a person with knowledge of the matter
    Like I said a CMified Nokia X.
    01-31-15 06:17 AM
    It's funny how much hatred people have for Google.

They open sourced their OS so anyone can use it years before John Chens plea for a universal standard for apps. This alone provided a life raft for BlackBerry. Funny how many defended the BlackBerry CEOs desperate statements yet vilify a company that voluntarily organized the closest that we will probably see to a universal mobile platform. Of course this serves their core ad business who does anything for free.

Crackberry fan boys rant about how insecure/ messy/ inferior the platform is to BB10 then turn right around and pirate apps. Turn right around and hack in Google play to their pristine BB10 devices. Google play service dependency is one way of fighting piracy. It's also the key to the valuable ecosystem Google created that BlackBerry Microsoft and many others seem so desperate to steal.

Here's a thought. Microsoft/ BlackBerry
    Develop your own ecosystem. Introduce products to market that people want to buy. Then all of this android talk will be moot.

My son, theres a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. Its anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is Good. Its joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness & truth. The boy thought about it, and asked: Grandfather, which wolf wins? The old man quietly replied: The one you feed.

!
    marty314 likes this.
    01-31-15 06:56 AM
174 1234 ...