02-15-15 09:32 AM
174 123 ...
tools
    Microsoft to invest in Cyanogen, which hopes to take Android from Google | Ars Technica

This could lead to a more open Android, without the restrictions Google has placed on it. Imagine if Microsoft did create the rumored Android runtime for Windows Phone (using Cyanogen), and this all led to a viable option for Android apps to not be shackled with Google Play services that could work fine on BB10, Amazon, Tizen, etc.
    01-29-15 01:15 PM
    CM is getting big for its britches. They want Android to be more open yet they want to control who uses CM with underhanded deals.
    01-29-15 01:32 PM
    Microsoft to invest in Cyanogen, which hopes to take Android from Google | Ars Technica

This could lead to a more open Android, without the restrictions Google has placed on it. Imagine if Microsoft did create the rumored Android runtime for Windows Phone (using Cyanogen), and this all led to a viable option for Android apps to not be shackled with Google Play services that could work fine on BB10, Amazon, Tizen, etc.
    Android Apps are not shackled to Google Play. Developer choose to put their Android Apps in Google Play and some of them choose to use Google Services for validation, and many of them choose to ignore Amazon, BlackBerry and others as alternate distribution points for their Apps. While Microsoft has the money and the need to make this work.... not sure if all developers will really care, or not. Only time will tell.... but this doesn't sound like it will be "coming soon".

And too be honest... most of the "restrictions" that Google is implementing are actually good for developers. In the long run it will cut down on the number of pirated apps and lost revenues, which is much worse among Android Apps than it is in the iOS world. It is pointed to as one reason that a number of developers only use iOS for some education and business applications.
    01-29-15 01:37 PM
    Cyanogen Inc. Is a joke.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-29-15 03:11 PM
    The problem IMHO is: Even though so many people claim Android is not Google, Android is open source and not Google controlled etc. somewhat miss the point Android seems to be nothing without the Google services. Take off the Play Store, remove stuff like Maps, Hangouts, native Mails and Calendar. People will be pissed if they had to gather this stuff through 3rd party apps. I mean just look at the CB community regarding Android and BB10: So many people just want all that Google stuff flawlessly working on BB10. What would those people say about an Android phone missing those services?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 03:48 PM
    The problem IMHO is: Even though so many people claim Android is not Google, Android is open source and not Google controlled etc. somewhat miss the point Android seems to be nothing without the Google services. Take off the Play Store, remove stuff like Maps, Hangouts, native Mails and Calendar. People will be pissed if they had to gather this stuff through 3rd party apps. I mean just look at the CB community regarding Android and BB10: So many people just want all that Google stuff flawlessly working on BB10. What would those people say about an Android phone missing those services?

Posted via CB10
    Your right... people really don't care about an OS. It is what the device can do and how easy it can do it.

Most people I know that have switched to iOS... is because it is a simple UI and stuff just works. Android is a little messy at times, depending on what "skin" is on top - but yeah Google Services and the core Google Apps do make for a very fluid experience.
    01-29-15 03:53 PM
    The code base of Android is aesthetically disgusting compared to the way iOS is built. Its improved greatly in terms of operation, but its still java. *wretch*

I support cyanogen, or anyone else, trying build a serious contender out of AOSP. Google has all but abandoned any pretense of "openness" at this point.

01-29-15 05:53 PM
    I think what MS hopes in the long run, is that developers and consumers alike will opt to leave Google Play Services dependent functionality which will make Android Apps run all that much better on MS Phones. Will help BlackBerry too but that is another story.
    01-29-15 05:59 PM
    01-29-15 09:03 PM
    I think what MS hopes in the long run, is that developers and consumers alike will opt to leave Google Play Services dependent functionality which will make Android Apps run all that much better on MS Phones. Will help BlackBerry too but that is another story.
    Replace Google services with MS services. Android w/o all the Googly.
    dolco likes this.
    01-29-15 09:04 PM
    I wonder why cant BBRY do the same. I'm sure you can skin android to work and look like BB10 and incorporate their security. Right?

01-29-15 09:29 PM
    I wonder why cant BBRY do the same. I'm sure you can skin android to work and look like BB10 and incorporate their security. Right?

They could if they wanted to.

<Insert typical argument about Android being inherently insecure that has been beat to death already so I'm not even going to bother mentioning it. >
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-29-15 09:33 PM
    That would be a dream come true. But it would likely cost way too much in R & D.
    01-29-15 09:33 PM
    That would be a dream come true. But it would likely cost way too much in R & D.
    Spend money to make money, right? heh.
    01-29-15 09:38 PM
    Spend money to make money, right? heh.
    Exactly.

01-29-15 09:45 PM
    They could if they wanted to.
    You probably know way more insight than me but I really feel that BBRY will eventually get to that point. Maybe even working on that as we speak. I think we all know that BBRY can't continue to put Band-Aids over wounds. And those wounds are apps. Its just the way the mobile game is played.

Just my thought.

01-29-15 09:52 PM
    Very interesting. And so it begins. If BlackBerry and Amazon were smart they would get in on this.

As I said in another post a while ago (ya, I'm quoting myself! :-D):

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru.../#post11222970

There is also a remote possibility that Microsoft/BlackBerry/Amazon/Xiamoi could band together and form a third party alliance that utilizes an android fork that does not rely on Google Services. The foundation is already there with the Amazon app store. If the market share of the these non-OHA companies could ever amount to something remotely meaningful then devs may look more seriously at submitting alternate versions of their apps to this consolidated store. Just a wacky idea I thought of. I know it is remote. But as I have said in the past, I am completely against a two horse race. We all lose. Frankly, it isn't even a two horse race now. It's Android with most of the worldwide market share, and iOS with smaller chunk. Just like the desktop days of Windows owning the majority of market share and Mac grabbing the higher end.
    01-29-15 10:37 PM
    People want Google to fail so badly. I never understood it. I guess it the same reason people want Blackberry to fail. I mean people are taking the hard work of a company and downloading it and then creating competing services against the company. Google can easily create a closed source a version of Android and only update AOSP every 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years and then what? While this suppose " true" open source type company's compete against Google, they still rely on Google to update Android. So while AOSP is on 5.0 for 5 years, the closed source version is on Peppermint 7.1.
    01-29-15 11:35 PM
    Microsoft paid a couple of manufacturers to "Bing-ify" a few Android phones - those phones tanked hard and now those manufacturers refuse to take MS's money to do it again. No one wants Google services replaced with MS services on their Android phone...
    01-29-15 11:50 PM
    Microsoft paid a couple of manufacturers to "Bing-ify" a few Android phones - those phones tanked hard and now those manufacturers refuse to take MS's money to do it again. No one wants Google services replaced with MS services on their Android phone...
    Indeed - http://www.windowscentral.com/first-...inspired-lumia
    01-30-15 12:49 AM
    Troy Tiscareno
    "Microsoft paid a couple of manufacturers to "Bing-ify" a few Android phones - those phones tanked hard and now those manufacturers refuse to take MS's money to do it again. No one wants Google services replaced with MS services on their Android phone..."
    Bla1ze
    "Indeed"
    Wrong. Nokia released Android fork phones against will of MS. Only reason was to force MS to finish mobile division buyout.
    01-30-15 01:08 AM
    Wrong. Nokia released Android fork phones against will of MS. Only reason was to force MS to finish mobile division buyout.
    And here I thought my linking directly to the Nokia device was sarcastic enough for people to catch.
    annon91221 likes this.
    01-30-15 01:35 AM
    And here I thought my linking directly to the Nokia device was sarcastic enough for people to catch.
    OK...if sarcasm is more important than facts....
    01-30-15 01:46 AM
    Open Android is nice. I've used it, but I love BB10. I have had my z10 for over a year. It is refreshing. The hub is the best. And this is the first phone that I did not have to root, jailbreak, remove a bunch of useless bloat ware and not be concerned about my info ending up in the cloud or Google + by accident. This phone and software gets things done and is not a time thief
    . So much time I wasted tweaking and re-tweaking android and Icrap. This blackberry just plain works. In my younger days I was all about the tech...but then I remembered a lesson...tech is supposed to make life simpler, better and more efficient. BlackBerry does this for me. Yes Apple and Google have tons of Apps but 60% of them are utterly useless. I'm so happy blackberry is doing better...I waited so long for a smartphone that I didn't have to sacrifice my privacy to the G-borg or Apple. I mean...a digital copy of a finger print...what could possibly go wrong there? ( heavy sarcasm)

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    medic22003 likes this.
    01-30-15 02:21 AM
    OK...if sarcasm is more important than facts....
    Yeah, why have a little fun when we can be serious all the time?!

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 02:32 AM
174 123 ...