05-18-15 01:26 PM
69 123
tools
    A Microsoft we can actually believe - TechRepublic

Very promising what we see after years of slumber.

Can John Chen pull of the same feat and get BBRY's credibility the bump it needs?

I especially appreciate the sentiment that we need more than one cloud provider, and more than just two mobile ecosystems... Is there room for a fourth? I believe there is.

:-D

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...  
    02-16-15 04:00 AM
    Microsoft is working quietly but in a steady manner, differences from black to denim are noticeable.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:36 AM
    I think there is a pretty big gap between what Microsoft can do in mobile and what Blackberry can do given the resources and current presence in computing that the larger company has. Is there room for #4? Not when #1 to #3 are the tech giants.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-15 08:38 AM
    Microsoft is a very large company with a number of interest.... and their R&D expenditures are huge!

While BlackBerry is hardly spending anything on R&D at this point, so no I don't the John Chen is going to suddenly come up with some new "deep learn system" or anything else that would WOW the tech world.

BBRY Quarterly R&D Expenditures are $154 Million (and falling every quarter), Microsoft on the other hand is spending almost $3 Billion a quarter.
    Savior4Life and kbz1960 like this.
    02-16-15 09:14 AM
    Because Microsoft has all the money to burn on R&D. Unlike BlackBerry. Which is on a very tight budget.
    02-16-15 09:22 AM
    If I were to look at windows development over its life span, I don't see where that R&D money was spent. Windows 95 to Windows 8...big deal. I know I'm looking at one product in a sea of offerings by Microsoft... but.

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 likes this.
    02-16-15 09:33 AM
    If I were to look at windows development over its life span, I don't see where that R&D money was spent. Windows 95 to Windows 8...big deal. I know I'm looking at one product in a sea of offerings by Microsoft... but.

Posted via CB10
    You know I think I could install Windows 95 with 12 floppy disk.... today just one minor update might be that large. And there is a pretty big different in how and what Windows 95 could do and what you can do with Windows 8... but yeah Microsoft is much more than a desktop OS company. Think I had read that only 30% of their revenues come from Windows Desktop OS.

You know I look at BB10 and I wonder why it took us this long to get to this point.... so I guess there is a lot of time and energy put into building, tweaking and maintaining an OS. Heck just look at how much the camera app in BB10 has change and morphed over the last two years.... and I'm not really sure it has gotten any better. Think there was a version last year that worked the best... but it didn't work with 10.2.1.
    02-16-15 02:58 PM
    Microsoft has the money to lose now, and improve the product to possibly win later. They also have the money to advertise like crazy. Microsoft is the dominant PC OS, email server software in corporate use, and office suite software. BlackBerry doesn't have the money to keep failing and eventually win. They can't even refresh phones in a two year cycle. Also the name BlackBerry might be hated more than Microsoft due to all the mistakes, but that isn't as quantifiable.

Personally I don't use MS as an OS because it simply is a joke with daily updates needed. I'll run it on a VM on a Mac to keep it contained and only for apps that need Windows. That said they will eventually get it right.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 04:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Really I feel there has been huge improvements between 95 to windows 7. Won't talk about windows 8 cause of limited exposure to it.
    02-16-15 06:11 PM
    I know Windows 8 gets a lot of bashing but I am quite happy with 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. Just takes a bit of getting used to but you can pretty much turn off Metro app if you want.

Passport on AT&T
    02-16-15 06:41 PM
    Microsoft is a very large company with a number of interest.... and their R&D expenditures are huge!

While BlackBerry is hardly spending anything on R&D at this point, so no I don't the John Chen is going to suddenly come up with some new "deep learn system" or anything else that would WOW the tech world.

BBRY Quarterly R&D Expenditures are $154 Million (and falling every quarter), Microsoft on the other hand is spending almost $3 Billion a quarter.
    $3 Billion a Quarter for R&D and they have Jack to show for it. A complete waist of money. It's not how much you spend on R&D, its about how successful and unique your R&D unit will be for what budget is allocated to them.
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-16-15 10:04 PM
    $3 Billion a Quarter for R&D and they have Jack to show for it. A complete waist of money. It's not how much you spend on R&D, its about how successful and unique your R&D unit will be for what budget is allocated to them.
    How do you know that they have JACK to show for it..... Microsoft is much more than just a Mobile OS company or a Desktop OS company.

From their latest earnings release.....
    • Devices and Consumer revenue grew 8% to $12.9 billion
    • Commercial revenue grew 5% to $13.3 billion
    Of note, MS has about $90 Billion in CASH, but unlike BlackBerry they breakout the short-term investments - which are almost 90% of their Cash and Investments. If BlackBerry's ratio is anywhere close to the same.... they have very little working capital. Which could explain the slow roll out we are seeing of devices.

Microsoft is a technology company... if you don't spend the money to "keep up" you get left behind. Right now they might not have marketshare in the mobile market... but they are overall a growing company. Which is very surprising considering the shift from PCs to mobile devices.
    rthonpm and TGR1 like this.
    02-17-15 08:15 AM
    Research and Development is tough to quantify on a balance sheet, and even more difficult for armchair analysis. By its very nature, R&D is money spent with no guarantee of any return at all, or no immediate return. To say that Microsoft's $3 billion has nothing to show for it is quite wrong. The products you see today on the shelf may have started years ago in a two or three man lab with no fanfare at all.

Even in terms of Windows, there has been a vast change: DOS to NT, Active Directory, Hyper-V, three iterations of SMB, etc. The common link is that Microsoft has tried (until NT 6.2, aka Windows 8) to keep a consistent UI and logic for its users, primarily in enterprise. No matter what the article the OP posted says, Microsoft hasn't gone anywhere. AD is still the standard for unified authentication and computer management in the corporate world. Windows run PC's far outstrip any other computer operating system. The only thing that's changed is a focus towards consumer electronics from VCR's and televisions to mobile devices and Internet connected every things.

As for BlackBerry, they're working in a much more limited area than Microsoft or Google, so while their budgets may be smaller, there is an advantage to having a smaller area of focus. Can BlackBerry become the force it was? Probably not at this point, but can it be a successful player at some level? I would say yes, once people get the idea of BlackBerry just as a handset company out of their head. As we're seeing everyday, security is becoming more and more of an issue and a hot topic for everyone. Hopefully, there are products on the back end coming from BlackBerry R&D that can make a compelling case to businesses and consumers alike that it can provide them the protection they're looking for.

Posted via CB10
    Petertek, Alvin Loh, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    02-17-15 08:51 AM
    If #1-#3 are Apple, Google, and Microsoft then the rest of the mobile platforms, including Blackberry are in the "other" category. Blackberry doesn't even have a unified mobile platform as it is divided among BBOS and BB10. All you have to do is look at the size and presence of the top three to understand that Blackberry is not in that race.
    TGR1 likes this.
    02-17-15 09:48 AM
    BB keeps coming out with award winning phones and the market keeps ignoring them ,I think the worst thing BB has ever done was put itself up for sale,the Z30 suffered big time because of the timing,the passport got a lot of attention but it was passed over for the iphone as they sold 74 million phones in their last Quarter,they have to keep on innovating with new and more award winners but those yanks love home grown companies right now.Buy American is a movement that really hurts BB.What are you gonna do?
    theGUNNER likes this.
    02-17-15 10:05 AM
    Microsoft never went anywhere except in the realm of public opinion. They control around 90% of the desktop market, a good chunk of the server and enterprise app market, close to 100% of the office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) market, 50% of the game consul market. Bing is the second place search engine. They are not an underdog and haven't been for a really long time. I think it's a good thing they've had to swallow some humble pie in the mobile market.
    TGR1, kbz1960, SeeBeeEss and 3 others like this.
    02-17-15 11:14 AM
    Really I feel there has been huge improvements between 95 to windows 7. Won't talk about windows 8 cause of limited exposure to it.
    Windows 8 improvements are under the hood. Memory management is vastly improved. Install it on the same hardware, you'll be surprised (installed it on a machine, and later found out I only had one old 512MB stick in there, instead of the usual 4GB!, that was quite amazing).

But people look more at the obvious things, like the missing start button/menu.

Windows 10 is probably what people want. Start button is back, Metro apps are still there, and can be closed like normal windows. Charms bar, I'm gonna miss you.

Good Windows, Bad Windows, Good Windows, Bad...
    (XP, Vista, 7, 8... - I actually find the "bad" Windowses much more exciting and useful, that's where the real improvements happen)

Microsoft has the money to apparently offer a free upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 for all users in the first year, so they can get that convergence thing going...

BlackBerry is playing that game, too, but has to piggyback on the others' OSes, due to lack of a desktop OS (and no current tablet). Blend on Windows, iOS, Android...

(edit: spelling / grammar)

Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 02-22-15 at 04:35 PM.
    02-17-15 02:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Windows 95 and Window 8 are completely different operating systems. The only thing they have in common is some Win32 APIs.
    02-21-15 09:58 PM
    BB keeps coming out with award winning phones and the market keeps ignoring them ,I think the worst thing BB has ever done was put itself up for sale,the Z30 suffered big time because of the timing,the passport got a lot of attention but it was passed over for the iphone as they sold 74 million phones in their last Quarter,they have to keep on innovating with new and more award winners but those yanks love home grown companies right now.Buy American is a movement that really hurts BB.What are you gonna do?
    Yes, that "for sale" thing was most damaging. And that where I guess a lot of people got that "bankrupt" thing from... :-(

Chen in "reinventing" BlackBerry by going back to the roots, does Microsoft's strategy compare?

They're still Microsoft, but have now acknowledged and accommodated Linux, at least on their Azure platform. Stranglehold on Office users is still there, but now we have the option to use it on other devices, platforms and even on the Web, most likely a compromise to keep their dominance. Plus subscription models to achieve a steady revenue stream.

BlackBerry has no such option (to operate from a position of dominance, or at least a strong market position), needs to convince with solid product, even if it's just catering to a niche market (as of now), which then can be expanded on...

Ah, BES... maybe?

  "Telstra, Telstra an der Wand, wer ist der schoenste im ganzen Land...?" Answer: Passport... (Optus got it!) ;-)  
    02-22-15 04:36 PM
    One thing Microsoft do spectacularly is growing, those guys learn from their mistakes whereas BlackBerry defend its viewpoints, in short, Microsoft is more flexible than BlackBerry. Microsoft actually listen to their customers (have you seen their forums?), once validated a customer has a Windows phone, he is given a number of "votes" to aply to a different improvements proposed by users, the winner improvements are then implemented; when are we going to see something like that in BlackBerry forums? I guess NEVER.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:37 PM
    One thing Microsoft do spectacularly is growing, those guys learn from their mistakes whereas BlackBerry defend its viewpoints, in short, Microsoft is more flexible than BlackBerry. Microsoft actually listen to their customers (have you seen their forums?), once validated a customer has a Windows phone, he is given a number of "votes" to aply to a different improvements proposed by users, the winner improvements are then implemented; when are we going to see something like that in BlackBerry forums? I guess NEVER.

Posted via CB10
    icanmakeitbetter was shut down, probably because of complainers, whingers, whiners and trolls.

Constructive criticism needs a amicable atmosphere to work... :-)

Now Microsoft is doing it in a way that restricts user feedback overload and encourages positive participation? Awesome. That's new to me, but I can't be everywhere, got a business to run...

*** ZnaPPy posting, ahoy ... ***
    theRock1975 likes this.
    02-23-15 02:09 AM
    Best wish to BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 05:16 AM
    A Microsoft we can actually believe - TechRepublic

Very promising what we see after years of slumber.

Can John Chen pull of the same feat and get BBRY's credibility the bump it needs?

I especially appreciate the sentiment that we need more than one cloud provider, and more than just two mobile ecosystems... Is there room for a fourth? I believe there is.

:-D

do you think bbry stands in number 3? No, WP is there already
    02-23-15 05:18 AM
    People need to realize that so far WP has not been profitable for Microsoft. They make more money from Android phones licencing certain Microsoft patents than from WP itself.

The true power of Microsoft is that they are more diverse than BB. Their desktop windows business and their Office business (hell, even their Xbox business) gets them a lot of cash so they can take the long "war" ahead of them.

BB is not so lucky in its diversity. For the most part they most of their revenue is from handsets and BES.

What I am trying to say is that MS is a different kind of beast compared to BB. Microsoft succeeding does NOT mean BB will do too. Also my personal theory is that there is very little room for 4 mobile OSs on the market and the important 3rd place is securely in MS's hands.
    TGR1 likes this.
    02-23-15 07:18 AM
    People need to realize that so far WP has not been profitable for Microsoft. They make more money from Android phones licencing certain Microsoft patents than from WP itself.

The true power of Microsoft is that they are more diverse than BB. Their desktop windows business and their Office business (hell, even their Xbox business) gets them a lot of cash so they can take the long "war" ahead of them.

BB is not so lucky in its diversity. For the most part they most of their revenue is from handsets and BES.

What I am trying to say is that MS is a different kind of beast compared to BB. Microsoft succeeding does NOT mean BB will do too. Also my personal theory is that there is very little room for 4 mobile OSs on the market and the important 3rd place is securely in MS's hands.
    I am not sure 3rd place is worth that much. The U.S. market at least is happy with just 2 platforms. You are correct though. MS has the cash to stay at the table losing money as long as it wants to. They are unlikely to ever give up such an important market.
    02-23-15 07:21 AM
69 123