09-20-13 09:18 PM
45 12
tools
    It's always great when the trolls tell on themselves.
    09-20-13 11:26 AM
    You know what, I was wrong when I said that wasn't a hug smiley. I scrolled some more on my google image search results and the OP hug symbol appeared in page 2 of the results.

And if I search with BBM Hug, then that is the dominant symbol. However that is only dominant with BBM or ex-BBM users, and not the universally accepted hug symbol. Considering that the presumed target is Apple users, a good marketer should not choose a BBM symbol and instead go with the conventional symbol.

What fascinates me is that you think the smiley is yellow and not green. You don't see how the shade of green resembles the Android robot? Truly?
    Wow dude, you are really reaching here
    09-20-13 11:41 AM
    This thread is really weird. I don't see how the BBM hug was thought to be an Android robot AT ALL. Maybe it's because I've used BBM for years and used that hug smiley a lot (what can I say, I'm a friendly penguin), but my first impression when I saw this was "Awwwww!" I hope there's one like it with the Android robot somewhere too. Maybe the ad will go over peoples' heads, but I think the ones who are familiar with BlackBerry and BBM will get the message, and THAT'S what's important. Maybe the ad is JUST targeting people who recognize the significance of the icons. People who are unfamiliar with BBM wouldn't be as inclined to download BBM once available to try it out in the first place.

There are some BB critics in this thread who I agree with on a lot of things...but are showing some odd contempt here. If it was a universal hug emoticon or even a red heart it wouldn't have the same effect or relay the same message as an emoticon that's native to BBM.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 09-20-13 at 03:19 PM. Reason: too many words
    09-20-13 01:45 PM
    Marketing is... a foreign concept to BlackBerry and its agencies. Period.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 02:17 PM
    Anyone who has used bbm knows that emoticon and soon millions more will know it. Now let's stop fighting and hug it out

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 03:19 PM
    This thread is really weird. I don't see how the BBM hug was thought to be an Android robot AT ALL. Maybe it's because I've used BBM for years and used that hug smiley a lot (what can I say, I'm a friendly penguin), but my first impression when I saw this was "Awwwww!" I hope there's one like it with the Android robot somewhere too. Maybe the ad will go over peoples' heads, but I think the ones who are familiar with BlackBerry and BBM will get the message, and THAT'S what's important. Maybe the ad is JUST targeting people who recognize the significance of the icons. People who are unfamiliar with BBM wouldn't be as inclined to download BBM once available to try it out in the first place.

There are some BB critics in this thread who I agree with on a lot of things...but are showing some odd contempt here. If it was a universal hug emoticon or even a red heart it wouldn't have the same effect or relay the same message as an emoticon that's native to BBM.
    Once again, BBRy doesn't need to sell to the believers. And I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic in this at all. To the masses, you have 2 unknown icons followed by iphone, on the day iphone 5s comes out.

EDIT: I didn't think the middle one was Android, BTW.
    richardat likes this.
    09-20-13 05:01 PM
    Once again, BBRy doesn't need to sell to the believers. And I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic in this at all. To the masses, you have 2 unknown icons followed by iphone, on the day iphone 5s comes out.

EDIT: I didn't think the middle one was Android, BTW.
    Ever stop to think they might want to target former bbm users?

For Pete's sake, it was just one ad. Plenty of other stuff you could complain about.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09-20-13 at 07:07 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    09-20-13 05:18 PM

For Pete's sake, it was just one ad. Plenty of other stuff you could complain about.
    Because, it just shows that they continue to miss the bus. The Super Bowl ad was just one ad as well.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09-20-13 at 07:07 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    09-20-13 05:39 PM
    Because, it just shows that they continue to miss the bus. The Super Bowl ad was just one ad as well.
    I've said the super bowl ad was a disaster. This is basically a billboard. It's actually clever.
    09-20-13 05:45 PM

Sorry h20work, but not with you on this one! I DO agree that former users are a prime target - it is one of the few reasons I have to be optimistic about BBM, but even they are a big group relative to current marketshare, they are a small minority compared to the mass market, They are also relatively easy-sells......target everyone....there is no reason to make something incomprehensible/obscure to non-former users.

In any case, I agree it's only one ad.....but it's a another miss, and.....well that's pretty sad given BB's marketing history which consists of at least a few years of....of.....BAD! lol ;-)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09-20-13 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    09-20-13 06:17 PM
    Sorry h20work, but not with you on this one! I DO agree that former users are a prime target - it is one of the few reasons I have to be optimistic about BBM, but even they are a big group relative to current marketshare, they are a small minority compared to the mass market, They are also relatively easy-sells......target everyone....there is no reason to make something incomprehensible/obscure to non-former users.

In any case, I agree it's only one ad.....but it's a another miss, and.....well that's pretty sad given BB's marketing history which consists of at least a few years of....of.....BAD! lol ;-)
    If it is the only marketing they do, then it's bad.

Do you really expect every Iphone or DROID user to even know what bbm is? The only people who know are either current or ex users.

Let's put it in simple terms, I'm a BlackBerry user that sees that ad, I'm going to say "bbm is on apple now?". Any former user would instantly recognize the bbm logo and the hug.

For a simple billboard type ad, I do think it's clever.
    09-20-13 06:32 PM
    alright deep breaths...
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-20-13 07:06 PM
    Sorry H20work, I didn't mean to make so much of this.

It is clever, to people who know what it means. Very much so. If that is how BBRY meant it.

I guess since so much of their marketing has been so bad, I thought this was at first. Maybe I was wrong.
    h20work likes this.
    09-20-13 07:23 PM
    alright deep breaths...
    I'm guessing I missed something....
    richardat and m1a1mg like this.
    09-20-13 07:25 PM
    Sorry H20work, I didn't mean to make so much of this.

It is clever, to people who know what it means. Very much so. If that is how BBRY meant it.

I guess since so much of their marketing has been so bad, I thought this was at first. Maybe I was wrong.
    No need to apologize, most of their marketing has been beyond horrible.

I take this as a cheap and simple ad. Plenty of people will get it, those who don't haven't used bbm
    richardat and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-20-13 07:30 PM
    If it is the only marketing they do, then it's bad.

Do you really expect every Iphone or DROID user to even know what bbm is? The only people who know are either current or ex users.

Let's put it in simple terms, I'm a BlackBerry user that sees that ad, I'm going to say "bbm is on apple now?". Any former user would instantly recognize the bbm logo and the hug.

For a simple billboard type ad, I do think it's clever.
    Sure, but why even bother with a targeted ad....in these times when they have no resources to waste, why make even a single ad preaching to choir that, as you say, is totally inaccessible to the masses? Even the simple words I wrote earlier on a blank screen, would get the same response from former BB users, and be understandable to everyone else - not that I think that's a good ad either...that's my point, almost anything would be better! Still, if this is just one ad from a complete and robust campaign, I'll probably agree with you that it is "OK"....to me, it would then fall under "extra" money/advertising spent......
    09-20-13 07:37 PM
    I think it's best to agree to disagree.

I see it as a cheap and cheerful billboard ad that cost very little.

I'm not going to lie and say it will save the company or anything. My personal opinion is that it is better than the "wake up" "keep moving" "tools not toys" or anything else I've seen from them.

If they went nuts on a huge campaign for bbm I'd be far more concerned.
    09-20-13 07:51 PM
    I still think it's great. I got the message right away. It made me smile. On a day that ended in very bad news, this was a high point. I'm excited to download BBM tomorrow.
    h20work, m1a1mg, Toodeurep and 1 others like this.
    09-20-13 08:54 PM
    I still think it's great. I got the message right away. It made me smile. On a day that ended in very bad news, this was a high point. I'm excited to download BBM tomorrow.
    Other people are excited for you to download it as well
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-20-13 09:13 PM
    Other people are excited for you to download it as well
    I do miss my pantless homies!
    09-20-13 09:18 PM
45 12