12-21-11 09:16 PM
62 123
tools
    I don't think anyone can successfully defend RIM or their self inflicted plunge into the abyss, but I find it very interesting that people are doing high fives and gaining some satisfaction in the companies demise.

Even beyond the bloggers and analysts, there is a morbid enjoyment like pulling the legs off an insect while smiling. Its almost like RIM has become the tech pinata for the world. Kinda creepy...

I personally would love to see them have an ace up their sleeve, but not holding my breath.
    Jberry32 likes this.
    12-17-11 04:24 PM
    Well at least I can say not here in the Philippines....We love Blackberry!!!
    mud314 likes this.
    12-17-11 04:34 PM
    its just N.A. For some reason, *cough* the media *cough* , BBs have had this 'wicked' sign stamped right over the logo so they can do no right.
    12-17-11 05:07 PM
    its just N.A. For some reason, *cough* the media *cough* , BBs have had this 'wicked' sign stamped right over the logo so they can do no right.
    again.. said it in another post... not N.A. ... the United Sates!

RIM is #1 in Canada still.. for how long? who knows.. but their still #1

and again i said it in the same thread...

it's pretty ridiculous how serious people take this smartphone wars stuff... what about the 17000 people around the world that will lose their jobs? and the fact that RIM is Canada's only Major player in the Mobile Technology Playing Field?

It's pretty sad that even Canadian Media is putting them into a Sack and beating them with a bat! and also the fact that 1st world countries BIGGEST concern is about Mobile phones and the BILLIONS of dollars that are being spent on them..

what about the people dying of hunger and diseases.. u think they care if RIM does bad or not? or if APPLE is 10000 times better then Blackberries and Android 1000000000 times better?!

people just need to focus their attention on the more meaningful areas of this world and how to make it better!

instead of wasting time finding articles and reasons to BASH RIM or Apple or Android.. go BASH the people of this world that are killing millions of people for their greed. Bash people that RAPE, Murder, stupid kids that are shooting people for no reason and without fear!!
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 12-17-11 at 05:35 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-17-11 05:28 PM
    again.. said it in another post... not N.A. ... the United Sates!

RIM is #1 in Canada still.. for how long? who knows.. but their still #1

and again i said it in the same thread...

it's pretty ridiculous how serious people take this smartphone wars stuff... what about the 17000 people around the world that will lose their jobs? and the fact that RIM is Canada's only Major player in the Mobile Technology Playing Field?

It's pretty sad that even Canadian Media is putting them into a Sack and beating them with a bat! and also the fact that 1st world countries BIGGEST concern is about Mobile phones and the BILLIONS of dollars that are being spent on them..

what about the people dying of hunger and diseases.. u think they care if RIM does bad or not? or if APPLE is 10000 times better then Blackberries and Android 1000000000 times better?!

people just need to focus their attention on the more meaningful areas of this world and how to make it better!

instead of wasting time finding articles and reasons to BASH RIM or Apple or Android.. go BASH the people of this world that are killing millions of people for their greed. Bash people that RAPE, Murder, stupid kids that are shooting people for no reason and without fear!!
    feel better now that you got that outta your system LOL... Ill agree to your correction to a point. Yes RIM is stronger in Canada then it is in the States but think of it this way. TV is one of the top medias out there and most of Canada's TV stations are from where...The States. The States also has more people then us, 307,006,550 VS 34,108,752, therefor more customers and in the business world means they mean more then we do. RIM has been bashed for awhile and will keep being bashed until it stands up for its self in the form of keeping promises and having a great solid product that is current and trendy.
    Last edited by JAGWIRE; 12-17-11 at 05:55 PM.
    12-17-11 05:51 PM
    feel better now that you got that outta your system LOL... Ill agree to your correction to a point. Yes RIM is stronger in Canada then it is in the States but think of it this way. TV is one of the top medias out there and most of Canada's TV stations are from where...The States. The States also has more people then us, 307,006,550 VS 34,108,752, therefor more customers and in the business world means they mean more then we do. RIM has been bashed for awhile and will keep being bashed until it stands up for its self in the form of keeping promises and having a great solid product that is current and trendy.
    haha didn't see u were from canada ; >

i know what you mean that the population just doesn't size up.. just like the other guy said in the other thread..

sigh... and the delay of BB10 isn't gonna make them stand out .. the only way is if they are bluffing..

i went to bell mobility today to check out the galaxy nexus...pretty sweet
    Nonpareil likes this.
    12-17-11 06:09 PM
    The Canadian media is pounding RIM...almost daily articles in the Toronto Star, evening news etc. I too find it disheartening. It's Nortel all over again. The media is making having a BB like the plague. I'm not saying RIM didn't screw things up BIGTIME, cause that is quite obvious. But this seemingly "dancing around the grave" thing sucks.

The only faith I have, is that the North American automotive industry pulled their a$$ out of the fire, maybe RIM can do it too :s
    12-17-11 07:25 PM
    Actually, on a personal note, I prefer to see the day that RIM is GONE, rather than all these days watching RIM "going down". It's like watching a train wreck in very slow motion. I just want it over, so that we can ALL concentrate on more viable companies for providing us with the tools/toys that we all enjoy using. A cell phone is nearly a literal necessity of modern life in most of the world's cultures. Is it any wonder so many of talk about, think about, and use this little device of modern technology? It's a shame that RIM is so stubborn as to not remove their two co-CEO'S. For that they will suffer. It's a given.
    12-17-11 07:39 PM
    The media is making having a BB like the plague.
    You are correct, every time I pull out my BB Style people think it is from 2002.
    12-17-11 08:27 PM
    You are correct, every time I pull out my BB Style people think it is from 2002.
    Yet I REALLY REALLY hope they release a BBX Style, the style was a fantastic device, I still keep one active on the side for on the boat, if they could shave 3mm off it's closed thickness and give it a touchscreen I would want to replace my curve with it.
    12-17-11 08:41 PM
    I actually get a lot of compliments on my phone.
    I'm really Happy and satisfied with it.
    Heck my friends old 9000 Bold which is in like new still looks amazing to me.
    12-17-11 08:59 PM
    I actually get a lot of compliments on my phone.
    I'm really Happy and satisfied with it.
    Heck my friends old 9000 Bold which is in like new still looks amazing to me.
    I've had all sorts of phones since 1998. I don't recall ever getting a compliment on any of them, including the Storm. I HAVE gotten compliments for my ties...
    sapperuk likes this.
    12-17-11 10:48 PM
    I loved my Style for what is should've been but for me I had endless trouble with it. I miss the flip but getting used to it now after just 3 days with the 9930. No regrets on the switch. But who cares what other people think about what it looks like as long as you like it. I thought the Style was an awesome idea away from the Pearl flip, but it needed the hardware that's in this years BB7 line up. Guess I'm off topic from this thread, but I can't stop typing on this wonderful keyboard! Here's hoping for RIM, I don't want them to die off, but somethings gotta give sooner or later...

Boldly sent from my 9930.
    12-17-11 11:13 PM
    it is getting hard to read the forums with all the NA analysts out for blood. What people need to understand is that RIM is paying for the mistakes made a few years ago by not reacting to Apple's iphone. They are in catchup mode and have been for just over a year now - building a new platform (QNX) for the future can't happen as fast as what the media expects. People also need to consider that BB's do at least 90% of what the typical user needs: IM, email, surfing, doc editing, music, movies, games.

Personally, i think RIM will be fine... even if the NA market erodes for another few months. On a side note, i really wish Canadians would be more sympathetic considering it's a canadian company with canadian employees - all this smack talk and no one considers the fustration that RIM employees must be feeling.
    12-18-11 12:31 AM
    I remember almost three years ago when I quit my job to pursue iOS (and later Android) development full time. (For years I spent nights and weekends making apps for Palm, and even WinCE, but always kept my day job) Many people laughed at me saying I should at least wait until Blackberry opened their new app store so I could reach "mainstream" users. BB was the 800lb gorilla in this market just a few years ago. iPhone 3G were impressive, but still dwarfed by BB sales.

So for anyone with any interest in technology, this is a huge story. Why wouldn't it get a lot of attention, especially in their home country?
    12-18-11 12:42 AM
    CNET had the rudest article they wrote about RIM recently. It was way over the top. I think websites should stay objective in their articles.
    12-18-11 12:59 AM
    I...just don't get why so many people care how low or how quickly RIM's stock has fallen. Realistically unless you invested in RIM it doesn't matter how much it's fallen or even how low it gets. It just doesn't directly affect me-plain and simple and I'd bet for %95 of us here on the forum that applies. If you actually invested in RIM that's a different story-but I just don't get why so many people CARE what the publicly traded value of a company is-really it's nothing more then legal gambling and a popularity contest.

What do I look at? Are they going to go away over night? No... they've grown from 50 million active subscribers to 75 million active subscribers in a year. They've grown in assets and cash on hand in that time frame. Are they bleeding money? Not really from what I can tell. They've had some issues with the PB inventory-but nothing you can't expect OR deal with-that other manufacturers haven't had similar problems on a new product-not even their main product I might add, not their-bread and butter to say.

They are trying to switch platforms. This isn't an easy task and anyone thinking that they can just magicaly wave their hand and have it all done without massive problems and hurdles to overcome is ..well they aren't being realistic and maybe that says a lot about today's current society about wanting everything here-now-instant gratification.

This isn't to say I'm not realistic about the situation. I have been burned by them, but at the same time I've had some pleasant suprises with their recent products-and more to come from the sounds of things... both pleasant and unpleasant, no doubt!

...Maybe-just a thought here-what people need to learn is that if they don't like something they should go look for alternatives and stop wasting their time on something they obviously don't like anymore-they'd probably be a lot happier with themselves! We could go one step further-perhaps we should all stop believing what the 'media' tells us all the time and find out for ourselves, instead of just taking everything at face value. Just sayin'~!

I just have better things to do then then use a companies products I don't like and take my hard earned cash and play games with it. But it seems a lot of other people have no problem doing that and seem to like to push their views upon the rest of us! At least I can be subjective about it. I wish more people were...
    12-18-11 01:06 AM
    CNET had the rudest article they wrote about RIM recently. It was way over the top. I think websites should stay objective in their articles.
    Cnet has been wildly negative about RIM for as least the last year that I noticed it so clearly. They don't make the slightest attempt to give any balance in their stories. Their podcasts, including their FAILED daily podcast only mentioned RIM when there were negative stories, and if there was general positive news, they would find something negative to report.

Brian Tong, one of their more bizarre staff, even tells outward lie about the RIM. When the OS7 phones were released, he completely panned them without even trying one, saying all they did was email. He should be fired.

Of course, Cnet is starting to get the carma they deserve. Daily "news" podcast was cancelled. Most of the real talent has quit. Would not be surprised if CBS shut down that whole operation very soon.
    recompile likes this.
    12-18-11 02:55 AM
    this is bad...the author didnt even mention the playbook in this article which is discussing the 7" tablets...

is it this bad for RIM nowadays? i have the playbook and its a v.good product hardware wise...

so much hate for RIM nowadays...

Why Apple Should Make a 7-Inch IPad - Businessweek
    12-18-11 03:45 AM
    The Canadian media is pounding RIM...almost daily articles in the Toronto Star, evening news etc. I too find it disheartening. It's Nortel all over again. The media is making having a BB like the plague. I'm not saying RIM didn't screw things up BIGTIME, cause that is quite obvious. But this seemingly "dancing around the grave" thing sucks.

The only faith I have, is that the North American automotive industry pulled their a$$ out of the fire, maybe RIM can do it too :s
    Off-topic (sorry ) but, I reckon the NA auto industry's recovery had more to do with a multi-billion dollar government-funded cash bailout than anything they themselves did.

Maybe RIM could ask the Canadian taxpayers for a loan?
    mud314 likes this.
    12-18-11 04:19 AM
    This is true. Here is the reason.

When touchscreens exploded, lots of people realized the obvious: the game had changed. RIM was aggressive in denying this fact every chance it got. RIM said that people don't want to type on glass. RIM said that everyone wanted the efficient transmission of data. RIM said it would never make a phone with a camera. RIM said that it would not makes phones that play music.

So, at the time that it was obvious to everyone that RIM needed to go in a different direction, RIM decided not to and did this vocally.

It was not really until late 2010 when RIM announced Playbook that RIM suggested that things had to change.

So a lot of people right now are saying "I told you so." This is not a great human trait but it is a common one.
    12-18-11 06:41 AM
    Actually, on a personal note, I prefer to see the day that RIM is GONE, rather than all these days watching RIM "going down". It's like watching a train wreck in very slow motion. I just want it over, so that we can ALL concentrate on more viable companies for providing us with the tools/toys that we all enjoy using. A cell phone is nearly a literal necessity of modern life in most of the world's cultures. Is it any wonder so many of talk about, think about, and use this little device of modern technology? It's a shame that RIM is so stubborn as to not remove their two co-CEO'S. For that they will suffer. It's a given.
    You don't have to watch and from your post you hate them anyway. Why do we all need to concentrate on other companies? What is RIM doing that is hurting you or affecting you? You moved on to android so how does anything that happens to or what RIM does affect you?
    12-18-11 06:56 AM
    1 other big problem I see, and the reason (IMO) for the great change in tides. Given that a BB was most likely peoples first smartphone, and the fact that most contracts are 2-3 years long. People are coming out of contracts with OLD BB phones...8900/9000 or even the 85xx series stuff. While these devices are functional, they can't even begin to hold a candle to even a 3gs...The OS7 stuff is very nice, but I'm not sure it is anywhere near enough.
    12-18-11 07:33 AM
    When touchscreens exploded, lots of people realized the obvious: the game had changed.
    It wasn't the touchscreen. It was Apple. Touchscreens are nice for scrolling and clicking large icons. It's useless for just about everything else. (Even things that touchscreens used to be great at are practically impossible on today's capacitive touchscreens. Ask anyone who's tried to take notes with one of those fake-fat-finger styluses you're forced to use on capacitive touchscreens! Touch-only is not the future, it's a bad joke.)

RIM was aggressive in denying this fact every chance it got. RIM said that people don't want to type on glass.
    They don't. Smartphones aren't the majority of the mobile phone market. The best-selling feature phones, not surprisingly, all have a keyboard. Typing on glass sucks. Why do you think we have swipe, TTS, etc.? If typing on a touchscreen was anything short of an absolute nightmare, all those alternatives wouldn't exist (or enjoy the popularity that they do now).

RIM said that everyone wanted the efficient transmission of data.
    They do -- every time they worry about their data usage. Something I, as a long-time BB user, have never done.

Do you honestly think people want inefficient transmission of data?

RIM said it would never make a phone with a camera.
    Sorry, I must have missed that. To be honest, I think you're making that up.

RIM said that it would not makes phones that play music.
    Okay, now I know you're making stuff up. My 8800 (early 2007) could play music and videos, among its many other consumer friendly features.

So, at the time that it was obvious to everyone that RIM needed to go in a different direction, RIM decided not to and did this vocally.
    Yeah, I think it's clear that your version of the past doesn't quite match-up to reality. RIM has done anything but ignore the consumer market (see the Pearl, Style, Storm, etc.) with various degrees of success. If anything, RIM pulled itself in too many different directions! They're quite focused now. The tech and the talent they have are top-notch; well ahead of the competition.

It was not really until late 2010 when RIM announced Playbook that RIM suggested that things had to change.
    Sigh, RIM was still outselling Apple in late 2010 -- They were announcing the future. They knew then what we know now; RIM has the technology and the talent that can redefine the mobile landscape. I've said this before, BB10 undeniably sets a new standard for mobile computing -- and not just in the boring technical sense -- just the UI we've already seen on the PB is not only brilliant, it's at least a generation ahead of the competition.

Remember the much maligned "leapfrog" quote? Well, had anyone been paying attention at DevCon, you'd know that rather than hyperbole, it was actually a massive understatement.

Honestly, reading this comment you'd think they stopped innovating back in 2004 and refused to release anything but outdated products with no features! In reality, RIM has been constantly innovating and has, in MANY areas, leapfrogged the competition. In MANY other areas, the competition has yet to catch up to what RIM had mastered years ago!

That they outsold Apple until *this year* goes to show you how great RIM's products really are. It took 18 months of constant bad-press (mostly just pointless and often unfounded bashing) to knock their stock down -- all while RIM continues to grow and grow...
    12-18-11 07:43 AM
    I could dig out quotes from either or both of the two bozos that demonstrate each of the points that I made. Do you really think that I cannot? If so, lets have a wager about it and puts some cash on the line to make it interesting.

I am not saying that RIM will go under. In fact, I hope that it will not. I own two Playbooks and they are better now than they have ever been. I see a lot of promise in BB10 too. My fear is that RIM is now like Titanic post iceberg. It is taking on water and there is nothing that can be done to stop the inevitable.

I just think that to deny that RIM's current problems (you seem to even deny that RIM has any real problems - just media invented problems!) result from anything but RIM's own inaction and denial at critical times is really nothing but more denial.

FWIW, the two bozos seem more realistic about the company's situation than fanboys like you. They even admit that things are going to get worse in 2012. That should tell you something.
    12-18-11 08:39 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD