10-08-13 09:20 PM
60 123
tools
    My son has a friend who heads a IT department for a major bank. He asked to have a meeting with staff.

So his told everyone in the room, "Take Out Your Phone, And Put It On The Table"

There were some blackberrys, androids and iphones

The people in the meeting didn't know what was gonna happen, they just thought he was making sure they wheren't texting during the meeting.

So he carried on with the meeting as usual, and at the end, he turned the computer he was working on around, and he had pulled up all the photos, videos, and banking information of everyone in the room, but he couldn't pull up the Blackberrys.

So he's pushing for everyone to switch.

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits likes this.
    10-08-13 10:40 AM
    Sorry but I have to call BS. Unless that IT guy was prepared before hand with peoples passwords and personal info than there is no way he could rightfully access those types of documents.

Now seeing how he does have access to peoples personal info, if he used that to prove a point, well he just broke any confidentiality agreements with said peoples personal informations in that workspace and I for one wouldn't trust him anymore.

And to say he couldn't access the BlackBerry's is another false claim. If he did all that because of being set up on the presumed Wireless Network the bank would have for employee's, it wouldn't be that hard to access the BBRY phone's data either.

To many loop holes in this story for it to believable. Yes, BBRY devices are secure, but if they are not on BES, they are no more protected than any iOS, Android or Windows Phone device.
    10-08-13 10:49 AM
    So he accessed everyones phones? Geez, hopefully nobody had personal photos or videos they didnt want to share with the class.
    kbz1960 and CDM76 like this.
    10-08-13 10:49 AM
    my son has a friend who heads a it department for a major bank. He asked to have a meeting with staff.

So his told everyone in the room, "take out your phone, and put it on the table"

there were some blackberrys, androids and iphones

the people in the meeting didn't know what was gonna happen, they just thought he was making sure they wheren't texting during the meeting.

So he carried on with the meeting as usual, and at the end, he turned the computer he was working on around, and he had pulled up all the photos, videos, and banking information of everyone in the room, but he couldn't pull up the blackberrys.

So he's pushing for everyone to switch.

Posted via cb10
    rubbish!! Fail
    richardat and Etios like this.
    10-08-13 10:50 AM
    I know this that is why I use BlackBerry. But it is very hard to believe it for everyone, isn't it ?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:51 AM
    I think I saw this in a Die Hard movie right? Or was it Taken with Liam Neeson. No wait. It was one of the Bourne movies.

Posted via CB10
    PJD642 likes this.
    10-08-13 10:53 AM
    I say this is a urban myth started by OP.
    richardat and Etios like this.
    10-08-13 10:58 AM
    FUD.

"My son has a friend" (two degrees of separation-there's no way that we can trace this or even ask the OP specifics about this)

"a IT department of a major bank" (to make it sound not only believable because you can't name the source, but to get the reader's mindset to a place where he would normally feel secure)

"wheren't" (typical of the misspellings found in the scam emails that ask for your help in paying the taxes on an inheritance)

"photos, videos, and banking information" (things that most people hold near and dear).
    10-08-13 10:59 AM
    This story is complete bull. Too many holes.. I just don't know where to start.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    10-08-13 11:01 AM
    Bwahahaha!!

You've reached a little to far with this one op!
    10-08-13 11:04 AM
    I think I saw this in a Die Hard movie right? Or was it Taken with Liam Neeson. No wait. It was one of the Bourne movies.

Posted via CB10
    Once I was in a restaurant with a buddy. The waitress was an acquaintance of my buddy and kept trying to hit on him. Our laptops and phones were out, and all of sudden she was telling us very excitedly how she saw some movie where a guy had this device that looked just like an iphone but you just put it down and it would automatically break into any computer system in the world. We said "oh yeah...OK...cool." But that wasn't enough,she kept going on and on about it. Trying to help I said "yeah, well, that would be a pretty amazing device, definitely a lot of people would want that". "no, but that's the thing...it looked JUST like an IPHONE!!!" "yeah..." I said with a chuckle. She continued "so nobody would have any idea, because it looked just like an iphone so you'd never know, so I was like 'wow!' that's incredible!! I was just blown away that it looked just like an iphone".

Me later to friend "what the heck was that?!!" Him "I don't know...".

(edit: I remember quipping to my buddy later: actually that must have been an easy day for the prop guys! Anyways....when you're not that impressed by the imaginary hacking magic, but you are so impressed by the form factor of a completely imaginary device...that you need to tell people about it for 5 min.....um...oh I don't know...I just wanted to add a story of my own - mine actually is true though...lol)

Anyways, back to the topic, I'll play along OP, not like these spoil sports!! Let me ask, why did they have to put their phones on the table? lol
    Last edited by richardat; 10-08-13 at 12:18 PM.
    21stNow and Moonbase0ne like this.
    10-08-13 11:04 AM
    With that much skill that guy needs to work for a pen test company and make millions...

/sarcasm off

OP: You need a lot more detail then what you provide for this to have any credibility.
    CDM76 and nathan3d like this.
    10-08-13 11:07 AM
    This is not totally BS. If they are connected to the company s network in anyway and the IT manager knows how to hack it is all possible. It's just the same as your computer being connect to the company s server, your company can take screen shots of your screen without you knowing.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    10-08-13 11:10 AM
    Cool story bro.

Posted via CB10
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    10-08-13 11:11 AM
    make a movie brah!
    10-08-13 11:22 AM
    Look... I'm a BlackBerry guy, so is my family. My friend who owns a corporation uses iPhone. He constantly says BlackBerry is the better phone. He has gone through 4 iPhone 4's and 3 iPhone 5's in the last 20 months. He travels the world and has had his phone comprised several times.

He can afford buying several phones as it is a corporate write off. Most of his employees phones have been compromised. The company, he says, has gone through several dozen iPhone's because of compromise / software issues. He asked the staff if they wanted to switch to BlackBerry as a new corporate phone (they use 142 of them). They all said no. They required certain apps that are not available. They were willing to put up with that garbage instead of BlackBerry.

Friends solution - iPhone is not secure. Corporate phones will be BlackBerry (Z or Q). If you do not wish that, use your own phone but it will not be paid for

Now, my friend is a smart guy and believes BlackBerry will end at some point but will be a corporate monster for security reasons alone. If sold, he will follow where the security takes him. Employees were upset but, they buy the phones and iPhone will not replace due to compromise of the product. They get new ones but, he deemed this a hassle. His company now has 43 BlackBerry phones. Not one issue. The iPhone employees have, oddly enough, gone to Galaxy 4's. Others requested to wait for the z30.

When I spoke to Scott last week (he has a name) he said it was a case of "Apps people could not live without " and corporate security. And the apps side, really won. His policy is the same and, he now carries two phones. Galaxy 4 and, soon enough a z30 (from the q10).

Take this as you will -

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    10-08-13 11:25 AM
    This is not totally BS.
    So it's only partially BS. Got it.
    sjmartin007 likes this.
    10-08-13 11:26 AM
    This is not totally BS. If they are connected to the company s network in anyway and the IT manager knows how to hack it is all possible. It's just the same as your computer being connect to the company s server, your company can take screen shots of your screen without you knowing.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    So he hacked peoples personal phones? That's cool, again if this story is real, I wouldn't trust him around a "Major Bank" IT system, cause if he's so willing to easily access my personal info, than he'd probably be running a penny skimmer virus (far fetched, but it goes in line with the OP).

Again, too many loops holes. Cause to be honest, I have lots of IT buddies, and well being that I'm DND, and I know if I plug ANY device into a DND computer, they know everything about it the minute I plug it in. So yes, it's possible, but not in the way the OP has worded his story.
    richardat and CDM76 like this.
    10-08-13 11:28 AM
    So he hacked peoples personal phones? That's cool, again if this story is real, I wouldn't trust him around a "Major Bank" IT system, cause if he's so willing to easily access my personal info, than he'd probably be running a penny skimmer virus (far fetched, but it goes in line with the OP).

Again, too many loops holes. Cause to be honest, I have lots of IT buddies, and well being that I'm DND, and I know if I plug ANY device into a DND computer, they know everything about it the minute I plug it in. So yes, it's possible, but not in the way the OP has worded his story.
    It would be a ridiculous violation of ethics, and you would be so ripe for lawsuits that a "major bank" couldn't get you out the door fast enough.

Hey, everyone....I've...got...a little surprise....for...you....just let me get this monitor turned...oh heck, let's just put it on the overhead! Hey Hey!!! Who recognizes these pics??? Gary??? Yeah...I'm looking at you buddy!! Oh...I can see on Martin's face...oh he's seen some of these....Wang...yeah...is that your doggy??? Oh...Jennie....was that at the Christmas party??? Um...OK....that looks like some bodyparts...um....Jason...that doesn't look like your wife?

Oh no....yeah...don't worry...yeah..yeah,....I'll definitely delete these later.
    10-08-13 11:54 AM
    Pure BS. And if this story was somehow miraculously true, if your sons boyfriend worked at my bank he would have been fired instantaneously and maybe arrested.
    bbq10l and CDM76 like this.
    10-08-13 11:54 AM
    Tough crowd, you Crackbberrians!
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    10-08-13 12:00 PM
    These type of threads are one of the reasons why I love this place.
    10-08-13 12:00 PM
    I have an amusing story about Sly. Stalone (Rambo) a BB pen-knife and go-go-gadget BB garrote.

Naw... never mind.

I'm sure there is some truth inside OP's post but the message comes across full of holes.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to believe that BB is un-hack-able...
    10-08-13 12:10 PM
    These type of threads are one of the reasons why I love this place.
    These threads, along with statcounter are the main reasons I love to visit here anymore <3
    10-08-13 12:12 PM
    These threads, along with statcounter are the main reasons I love to visit here anymore <3
    You forgot the boycott threads
    10-08-13 12:18 PM
60 123