10-20-13 12:10 PM
318 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Ok, I'll bite. No argument, BlackBerry 1 0 has been marketed horribly.

But I'm curious why LG has decided to target BlackBerry 10 users with that particular eulogy ad? There aren't many BB10 users, and probably only a fraction would consider switching anyway (We're few, but largely loyal no doubt). And of those that decided to switch and chose Android, most would likely go with Samsung and not LG, no? I can't see that Eulogy campaign making LG a lot of money. Curious marketing, unless they were hoping for an angry reaction and hoped to generate some buzz? Otherwise, why not go after WP or iPhone instead of BlackBerry if you're targeting non-Android users? Either way, bigger userbase of potential converts.
    My guess is just is as good as yours.. but if you ask me I think they did it for the mass reaction they would get by blackberry Fanboys. And guess what they succeeded. Imo it's not that serious of an ad. Just a little jab nothing more. But right on que here come the blackberry Internet whiners to make something bigger than it is. The same reason certain websites make blackberry articles to bait. Is it news that blackberry is pretty much dead? Besides my z10 I have seen one in public. And the sales numbers don't lie. But LG good job. You got a ton of people to look at your pointless ad for no reason. Which will lead to people checking into their products to see why they feel like they have a right to say that about blackberry. Free marketing at its finest
    10-14-13 05:58 PM
    alright tone it down a little. No need to get out of hand and get the thread closed
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-14-13 06:04 PM
    My guess is just is as good as yours.. but if you ask me I think they did it for the mass reaction they would get by blackberry Fanboys. And guess what they succeeded. Imo it's not that serious of an ad. Just a little jab nothing more. But right on que here come the blackberry Internet whiners to make something bigger than it is. The same reason certain websites make blackberry articles to bait. Is it news that blackberry is pretty much dead? Besides my z10 I have seen one in public. And the sales numbers don't lie. But LG good job. You got a ton of people to look at your pointless ad for no reason. Which will lead to people checking into their products to see why they feel like they have a right to say that about blackberry. Free marketing at its finest
    Yeah, we seem to be on the same page as to the intent. So if that was their goal, they marketed well I guess. I still don't see how that translates into better sales but whatever. It reminds me of that Python sketch with Graham Chapman Mosquito Hunting with a shotgun... Total overkill.

If LG is looking to grab market share by dipping into the non-Android base, better to go after Apple and Microsoft, methinks.

On a side note, I continue to be fascinated with the attention that BlackBerry continues to receive in the mainstream. For a 'dead' company, with practically worthless assets, low sales, etc. etc. etc. they sure do get a ton of media play...
    RazrRob likes this.
    10-14-13 06:07 PM
    Yeah, we seem to be on the same page as to the intent. So if that was their goal, they marketed well I guess. I still don't see how that translates into better sales but whatever. It reminds me of that Python sketch with Graham Chapman Mosquito Hunting with a shotgun... Total overkill.

If LG is looking to grab market share by dipping into the non-Android base, better to go after Apple and Microsoft, methinks.

On a side note, I continue to be fascinated with the attention that BlackBerry continues to receive in the mainstream. For a 'dead' company, with practically worthless assets, low sales, etc. etc. etc. they sure do get a ton of media play...
    I don't think LG was even thinking that deep. This is not mainstream news. This is a big deal on crackberry and to online blackberry fanboys. It was a harmless joke. Not some thought out marketing campaign. It got them some free looks on Facebook. They knew that would bring out the defenders. Besides us who own bb10 devices BlackBerry has been dead for some time now. Every platform gets jokes about them. Windows continues to market against android and apple with funny ads. It seems that blackberry Fanboys are always in the comment section complaining even if what was written is true. Blackberry has botched up somany things most recent being bbm 4 all. Is the competition not supposed to poke fun at that? It's business not personal
    10-14-13 06:17 PM
    So the LameGrapes yapping about the BlackBerry!?

Smh.
    LG started out as "Lucky Goldstar". Reeks of quality, doesn't it?
    RazrRob likes this.
    10-14-13 06:23 PM
    I don't think LG was even thinking that deep. This is not mainstream news. This is a big deal on crackberry and to online blackberry fanboys. It was a harmless joke. Not some thought out marketing campaign. It got them some free looks on Facebook. They knew that would bring out the defenders. Besides us who own bb10 devices BlackBerry has been dead for some time now. Every platform gets jokes about them. Windows continues to market against android and apple with funny ads. It seems that blackberry Fanboys are always in the comment section complaining even if what was written is true. Blackberry has botched up somany things most recent being bbm 4 all. Is the competition not supposed to poke fun at that? It's business not personal
    Actually, the mainstream attention I was referring to wasn't related to this LG Eulogy post. Just in general, over the last few years. Honestly, I think BlackBerry has received almost as much media attention (overall) in the news as the situation in Syria, for example. Which makes sense if you look beyond the mobile consumer market. It's pretty much saturated, imo, so now everyone is looking at ancillary markets like enterprise, and more and more gimmicks. Wearable computing, dust/waterproof, ginormous camera, touchless hover gestures...

And it means going after the smallest market just to get an incremental gain. At this stage the war is pretty much over: Samsung won for market share (like Windows on the desktop), Apple came in second (like Apple on the desktop), and other Android phones came in third. Windows is not third, not really. And I personally have doubts about their ability to improve their platform apace with Android and iOS. My guess is that most BlackBerry users would switch to Android, not WP. Microsoft is bleeding red monthly to try and prop up their mobile platform. Whereas Apple and Samsung are making money monthly.

Agreed that every platform gets joked about though, no doubt. That predates cellular with the Mac vs PC days.
    bb4life21 likes this.
    10-14-13 06:41 PM
    I have owned an LG and it had the worst reception of any I used. Would never consider one of their products.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 07:19 PM
    Wow, LG just narrowed my options on my next phone! Z30 it is.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 07:38 PM
    How petty is this?
    How can you decently think to make a good impression not only jumping on the bandwagon of Blackberry's troubles but showing off as if they ever made something as good as BB10 devices?
    I thought Blackberry had the worst marketing in this business but i am now sure LG totally deserves the first place for small-minded marketing team!
    Love the reactions on Facebook!
    Long live BB10!!! and hopefully if they should licence it, we shall see other better manufacturers as Sony or even Samsung associated to the greatest mobile OS!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 07:41 PM
    Long live BB10!!! and hopefully if they should licence it, we shall see other better manufacturers as Sony or even Samsung associated to the greatest mobile OS!

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure BlackBerry has tried licensing BlackBerry 10. The only problem is, no one was interested. If BlackBerry can't sell BlackBerry 10 devices, what in the world would lead Sony, Samsung, LG, HTC or whoever to think they'd have better luck?
    10-14-13 08:15 PM
    And whilst it may be an own goal - it gets the LG name trending and ,hey, all us BBRY users know who LG is now - some people might call that a win.
    LG have been noticed for the wrong reason.

The plonker who created it must've had the longest most uncomfortable tea break after reading those comments too.

Comedy gold !

Posted via my CB Q10
    10-14-13 08:21 PM
    Way too funny ... the company formerly known as Lucky-Goldstar, also known back in the days as el-cheapo bargain basement goods takes a shot at BB. Seriously, who is getting sucked in buying the junk they are supplying?? What a joke!!
    10-14-13 08:28 PM
    Pretty sure BlackBerry has tried licensing BlackBerry 10. The only problem is, no one was interested. If BlackBerry can't sell BlackBerry 10 devices, what in the world would lead Sony, Samsung, LG, HTC or whoever to think they'd have better luck?
    Why? Maybe because they would have a better board of directors and a strategy! BB10 is great, it proves physical keyboards have their word to say in modern mobile phone business.
    Blackberry is ambiguous: i don't think Samsung would ever put on the market both BB10 devices and legacy ones running on BB7.
    Strategy is the failure, not the product.
    For that reason i think a manufacturer with clear ideas could really get interested in BB10 licence.
    Sony or even Samsung for example could buy an original OS just to take its distance with Android.
    Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 08:30 PM
    Seriously, who is getting sucked in buying the junk they are supplying?? What a joke!!
    12.1 million people worldwide, that's who.
    10-14-13 08:33 PM
    The trolling comments of this article on the front page of CB shows that it has touched a nerve to the extent that some create CB accs to troll.

It's good to see that BlackBerry fans have fight & that people who don't like BlackBerry make such an effort to give us the feedback & display that they feel BlackBerry is a *threat.

*Troll: You tell us what the threat is, we're just enjoying our BlackBerry devices.

#onestepahead

Posted via my CB Q10
    jerryeight likes this.
    10-14-13 08:33 PM
    Devil's Advocate: Because the software engineers who created BlackBerry 10 are separate from the executives who are in charge? Never the twain shall meet.

BB10 is a great OS, imo. Right now it suffers from a lack of developer support, and as a first generation OS, has a few glitches. Otherwise? It's definitely a capable competitor to Android, Apple and Microsoft.

There were many versions of Android before Jelly Bean. As someone who's owned an Android tablet since Honey Comb, I can say from my personal experience that there wasn't much to look at prior to Ice Cream Sandwich.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    10-14-13 08:35 PM
    I don't understand how this has an affect on whether somebody would buy an lg device over a blackberry at all (or vice versa) It seems like the teasing is between 2 different manufactures, and does not affect either ones quality of hardware/service. I see it as such that it has nothing to do with me at all, since my ties to either company is as a consumer. Neither company pays me, the rise/fall of each doesn't affect me, I owe neither anything whatsoever, so they pretty much can mud sling all they want. It has no affect on me financialy, physically, or emotionally. I don't understand how people can get so worked up about this.

(BBM#33)
    10-14-13 08:38 PM
    Devil's Advocate: Because the software engineers who created BlackBerry 10 are separate from the executives who are in charge? Never the twain shall meet.

BB10 is a great OS, imo. Right now it suffers from a lack of developer support, and as a first generation OS, has a few glitches. Otherwise? It's definitely a capable competitor to Android, Apple and Microsoft.

There were many versions of Android before Jelly Bean. As someone who's owned an Android tablet since Honey Comb, I can say from my personal experience that there wasn't much to look at prior to Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Nothing in your post is untrue. BBOS10 is a good OS. But it isn't competing against those old versions of iOS or Android. It is competing against their polished versions.
    10-14-13 08:44 PM

Being a great OS simply isn't enough these days though. Being a great OS certainly didn't help WebOS or MeeGo.
    10-14-13 08:46 PM
    Nothing in your post is untrue. BBOS10 is a good OS. But it isn't competing against those old versions of iOS or Android. It is competing against their polished versions.
    Yup. And they lost the consumer market when it comes to preference...

For me, the question becomes this: Can BlackBerry continue in the enterprise market?

If so, they can continue to manufacture hardware for a niche market, at a higher price. And possibly thrive in the enterprise server market... And, if we're lucky, in the social arena through cross platform BBM.

Personally? I'd be willing to pay a premium for a BB10 phone so long as they improve on the platform. I could care less about the market share and their placement.
    BroncoVAL and gfondeur like this.
    10-14-13 08:49 PM
    Being a great OS simply isn't enough these days though. Being a great OS certainly didn't help WebOS or MeeGo.
    WebOS or MeeGo were competing in the consumer market though... BlackBerry still has a foothold in enterprise.

Completely different markets, no?
    10-14-13 08:51 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry user for years and don't ever plan to change. Most of these new phones appeal to the social apps. I need a workhorse and fun phone too! BlackBerry now, BlackBerry forever!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 08:58 PM
    For me, the question becomes this: Can BlackBerry continue in the enterprise market?
    It's really the multi-billion dollar question.

I don't know what will become of this mess. It's close enough to Nov 4th that we can quit the conjecture and just wait.

I know a lot of people want to stick with BB in enterprise, they're just scared. And frankly, if my job was riding on the opinion I had to give my boss, I'd be very careful with what I said.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    10-14-13 09:04 PM
    WebOS or MeeGo were competing in the consumer market though... BlackBerry still has a foothold in enterprise.

Completely different markets, no?
    And they were both crippled by HP sudden back-pedaling from phone market and Microsoft's rot set in Nokia (in the person of Elop).
    If Blackberry survives this critical moment investors won't act as HP or Nokia-soon-to-be-bought-by-Microsoft.

Even in the case of a dismantled Blackberry with a BB10 licensing it would be in a more positive position than WebOS or Meego were at their time, because there would be someone really interested in promoting BB10 (only for business market in the worst case).

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 09:07 PM
    It's really the multi-billion dollar question.

I don't know what will become of this mess. It's close enough to Nov 4th that we can quit the conjecture and just wait.

I know a lot of people want to stick with BB in enterprise, they're just scared. And frankly, if my job was riding on the opinion I had to give my boss, I'd be very careful with what I said.
    Can't blame them. Hopefully it'll be answered next month.

If not? Time to move on, methinks. As much as I love the new platform from an end user POV, I'd definitely move on.

November is time to cut bait or switch time for BlackBerry.
    10-14-13 09:07 PM
318 ... 678910 ...