03-02-15 07:50 AM
30 12
tools
    What is probably BlackBerry's biggest event of the year, Mobile World Congress is coming up in early March, just over a week away.

On March 3, BlackBerry will be hosting an event, a breakfast at MWC. Galaxy S6, One M9, Nokia news and more: What to expect during MWC | TechnoBuffalo

Here is a recap of what BlackBerry did at MWC last year. The big thing was the unveiling of the Z3 with Foxconn's CEO. (Mobile World Congress 2014: BlackBerry Forges Ahead with Introduction of New Products and Services | Inside BlackBerry)

Chen has mentioned MWC 2015 as a big event several times now.

Last September, Chen said that BlackBerry would unveil a new concept device (BlackBerry reportedly working on a 2nd generation Passport, will unveil concept device at Mobile World Congress | MobileSyrup.com)

In December, Chen said that Blackberry would unveil its 2015 product roadmap (BlackBerry To Show Off 1 Year Roadmap At MWC 2015 | Ubergizmo)

We don't know exactly what will be shown but we can speculate.

Will we see a concept Tablet with a keyboard like Chen mentioned last October? (blackberry-working-on-new-tablets-and-a-special-slider-device-says-ceo-john-chen-video)

Will it be the Visa/Victoria that we have seen so much speculation about? (Hybrid BlackBerry Devices codenamed Visa and Victoria may come in 2015! - Meet BlackBerry 10)

One (not so exciting) thing we will almost surely see is the Rio (or whatever it is going to be called). That device was approved by the FCC in January. (BlackBerry Z3 strolls into the FCC seeking approval | CrackBerry.com). This seems like a cheaper to manufacture Z30 but the good news is that it appears that Rio will have some much needed U.S. carrier support.

To me, this is a critical MWC for Blackberry. Many of us feel frustrated by the last year and its focus on cheap low spec retread devices that look more backward than forward. I think we all get that it was necessary. BlackBerry had to do something to shore up its core of Enterprise customers who want cheap messaging focused devices like Classic.

Passport was a bright spot but it is certainly, by design, not a device for everyone. Many of us long for a new cutting edge all touch phone. The question of whether Blackberry has been listening to us will soon be answered.

I think one thing is for sure. Chen has now several times called out MWC as a big event. Chen is hoping to get make some positive headlines. I expect something out of the box. Here are some possibilities:

1. Samsung/Blackberry collaboration - Samsung and Blackberry have both talked about expanding their partnership. Maybe a "Samsung powered by BB10" phone or a "Samsung with enhanced Blackberry security"?
    2. Blackberry Android - When asked at last year's ReCode event, Chen did not rule this out.
    3. Software Roadmap - Blackberry hasn't updated its OS roadmaps in forever. Maybe there is something big that is going to be announced that they have been holding back until now.

Personally, I need to see some sign that Blackberry wants to sell phones to enthusiasts like us. Chen has really ignored us until now. He has his reasons but if he doesn't sell the kinds of devices that we want to buy, what choice do we have but to buy from someone else? None of us are going to buy a Rio, just like we didn't buy the Z3.

What do you think?
    Last edited by lawguyman; 02-22-15 at 09:43 AM.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    02-22-15 09:20 AM
    Im hopping to see something materialize from the relationship with Samsung. Maybe a test bed with a N4 running 10.3.1just to gage public reaction. Im thinking we will see both a phone and tablet slider on the BlackBerry side of things

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by toneytone; 02-22-15 at 07:37 PM.
    02-22-15 11:21 AM
    In view, I think we'll see more enterprise class software and more low cost generic devices.

I believe that Blackberry increasingly sees the devices as a way to delivery highly secure enterprise capabilities to coporate users while not competing with the consumer centric devices. The Classic fits this model but the Passport does not. Further, the Rio seems to be a moderately equipped all-touch device to complement the similarly equipped Classic. I believe that JC wants to be able to lower the aggregate device costs to enable corporations to provide users with a secure end-to-end solution while still competing with BYOD. I think if bought in quantity, both of these devices could hit the sub $100 price point. Both of these devices could be "up-softwared" to create a Black Phone like product to aggressively address the regulated market, ending the near-term discussion of who is the most secure.

The Passport seems to be a departure from Blackberry's conservative spec device history and I'm not quite sure where that device will take them. Also, the rumors of a slider seems to me as trying to play to a very very small niche market which does not have an enterprise connection and so I'd be very surprised to see something like that announced at MWC.

Just my ramblings and transient thoughts for little or no value....
    02-22-15 01:04 PM
    In view, I think we'll see more enterprise class software and more low cost generic devices.

I believe that Blackberry increasingly sees the devices as a way to delivery highly secure enterprise capabilities to coporate users while not competing with the consumer centric devices. The Classic fits this model but the Passport does not. Further, the Rio seems to be a moderately equipped all-touch device to complement the similarly equipped Classic. I believe that JC wants to be able to lower the aggregate device costs to enable corporations to provide users with a secure end-to-end solution while still competing with BYOD. I think if bought in quantity, both of these devices could hit the sub $100 price point. Both of these devices could be "up-softwared" to create a Black Phone like product to aggressively address the regulated market, ending the near-term discussion of who is the most secure.

The Passport seems to be a departure from Blackberry's conservative spec device history and I'm not quite sure where that device will take them. Also, the rumors of a slider seems to me as trying to play to a very very small niche market which does not have an enterprise connection and so I'd be very surprised to see something like that announced at MWC.

Just my ramblings and transient thoughts for little or no value....
    Yes, agree, the RIO is not for us, but to win / convince enterprise accounts with low acquisition cost and TCO.

I bbelieve he's got something else, higher up on the spec scale for us in stock... :-)

  "Telstra, Telstra an der Wand, wer ist der schoenste im ganzen Land...?" Answer: Passport... (Optus got it!) ;-)  
    02-22-15 05:18 PM
    Victoria / Visa sliders.

Maybe a tablet.

I would love to hear a preview of what that June phone 'one device' is all about.

Maybe they offer secusmart technology at a lower price point.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:13 PM
    A.other new flagship to replace the passport would be fantastic. Once I get 10.3.1 onto this z10 I'm hoping it will make it new enough of a phone to hold out for what's next this year!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 11:29 PM
    Whatever it is, chen it on...! :-D

*** ZnaPPy posting, ahoy ... ***
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-23-15 02:13 AM
    Chen has talked about selling 10 million phones a year and that should be doable but I wonder what real progress has been made?

We should see some firm numbers soon about how well Passport and Classic have been selling. Last quarter Passport was supply restricted and shipments were made but no sales recorded. We should see an uptick in this quarter from that.

Ultimately, Classics have to be sold to Enterprise customers.

For me, I still want a high end all touch and if BlackBerry won't sell one to me, what choice do I have?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:45 AM
    Chen has talked about selling 10 million phones a year and that should be doable but I wonder what real progress has been made?

We should see some firm numbers soon about how well Passport and Classic have been selling. Last quarter Passport was supply restricted and shipments were made but no sales recorded. We should see an uptick in this quarter from that.

Ultimately, Classics have to be sold to Enterprise customers.

For me, I still want a high end all touch and if BlackBerry won't sell one to me, what choice do I have?

Posted via CB10
    Very little progress has been made on reaching the 10 million phones a year... with three quarters down in this fiscal year, they have recognized revenues on 5.7 Million devices or 6.9 Million devices were sold through to the end customer. I think the US enterprise market is really the KEY for the Classic.... and as the Classic just went on sale with one carrier, I'm not sure that Chen will have much data by MWC. So I think for the 2015 fiscal year, Chen isn't going to make his goal as this last quarter is almost up. But there is always next quarter and next year.

As for MWC... between the Net Neutrality business, the buggy 10.3.1 release and slow release of the Classic, if I were Chen I don't think I'd be looking forward to MWC. But I do see BlackBerry being able to release a all touch equivalent of the Passport and even with a limited production run being able to make a little profit from their FANS. But I think that will come later... first all touch users can try the RIO and then later maybe the highend device.
    02-23-15 08:06 AM
    Rio hasn't hit the FCC yet. The Z3 that has is just a different Z3 variant, not anything new.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 08:52 AM
    I think we might see some "soft" SIM card devices for the regulated/government clients. Think about a smart phone that would only run on a private highly secure cell network....
    02-23-15 01:29 PM
    Rio hasn't hit the FCC yet. The Z3 that has is just a different Z3 variant, not anything new.

Posted via CB10
    That's the Rio

Z10
    02-23-15 02:03 PM
    When Z3 launched, a lot of people were saying on here that it would dominate and conquer the developing market and sold millions. I haven't heard any sale report of the Z3 ever since the first launch in Jakarta. Is the Z3 selling millions now? How good was the accumulative sales of Z3? Did John Chen mention about the Z3 success yet? I heard from friends in Foxconn that Z3 initial build plans was about quarter millions.
    02-23-15 02:08 PM
    That's the Rio

Z10
    No it isn't.

That's the STJ100-2 at the FCC. Rio is STR100-x.

You owe me a nickel.
    alan0ford likes this.
    02-23-15 02:17 PM
    When Z3 launched, a lot of people were saying on here that it would dominate and conquer the developing market and sold millions. I haven't heard any sale report of the Z3 ever since the first launch in Jakarta. Is the Z3 selling millions now? How good was the accumulative sales of Z3? Did John Chen mention about the Z3 success yet? I heard from friends in Foxconn that Z3 initial build plans was about quarter millions.
    We've never heard any numbers.

I think sales were just okay but I don't think BlackBerry had very high expectations either.

It was probably successful considering the low expectations.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 02:22 PM
    We've never heard any numbers.

I think sales were just okay but I don't think BlackBerry had very high expectations either.

It was probably successful considering the low expectations.

Posted via CB10
    I don't remember the low expectations that came with the Passport. Many (at least here) taught that the Z3 would return BlackBerry to relevance in the "developing markets". But it was over priced for the markets, there were missing features (dual sims are really big in these markets), and did I mention the price was too high.
    02-23-15 02:38 PM
    If you listen to Chen you would know that BlackBerry has modest expectations.

He has a goal of 10 million devices a year.

At CES he affirmed in a Bloomberg interview that BlackBerry has modest sales goals.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 02:42 PM
    If you listen to Chen you would know that BlackBerry has modest expectations.

He has a goal of 10 million devices a year.

At CES he affirmed in a Bloomberg interview that BlackBerry has modest sales goals.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but I think he hoped that the Z3 would do it's share of that 10 million... and right now those "modest" expectations are looking to be a pretty big task. As the Classic didn't really go on sale in time to get counted in the last quarter for fiscal 2015.... I'm thinking that they missed that ten million in sales by a few million device.
    02-23-15 03:05 PM
    Yeah but I think he hoped that the Z3 would do it's share of that 10 million... and right now those "modest" expectations are looking to be a pretty big task. As the Classic didn't really go on sale in time to get counted in the last quarter for fiscal 2015.... I'm thinking that they missed that ten million in sales by a few million device.
    Would the Z3 even be factored into that 10 million goal? I thought the Z3 was a sole product of Foxconn, not BB. The Z3 was financed and produced by Foxconn. Last I recall, BBRY was only responsible for their "Higher Tier" devices. And that 10 million goal wasn't so much a goal, but an "in the black" cutoff point to ensure they didn't lose money on their in house production costs.

Penned via Tapatalk
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-23-15 03:16 PM
    Would the Z3 even be factored into that 10 million goal? I thought the Z3 was a sole product of Foxconn, not BB. The Z3 was financed and produced by Foxconn. Last I recall, BBRY was only responsible for their "Higher Tier" devices. And that 10 million goal wasn't so much a goal, but an "in the black" cutoff point to ensure they didn't lose money on their in house production costs.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I think Foxconn built the devices for BlackBerry and that any sales, would be included in BlackBerry's finical reports. Foxconn isn't selling these under their own name or some licensing deal.

But I do think the 10 million was just a number... as you could sell one Passport and make the same profit as selling four or five Z3. So it's really about stabilizing revenues and matching profits and expenditures up - with profits being higher then the expenditures of course. Chen might could break even if he only sold 5 million Passports a year.....

My issue is we haven't hit that stabilization point where sales aren't falling year after year.... there is a LOT of pressure on the Classic to sell a lot of devices over the 1st Quarter of the 2016 fiscal year.
    02-23-15 03:31 PM
    I think Foxconn built the devices for BlackBerry and that any sales, would be included in BlackBerry's finical reports. Foxconn isn't selling these under their own name or some licensing deal.
    Oh yes, BBRY is definitely making money for every Foxconn device sold. But that can't be factored in to hardware device design and production. Even if the Z3 were to be the hottest device ever sold, there'd still be the point that BBRY's hardware department would be bleeding those profits if it didn't tow their own line.

Point being... If Foxconn devices make money, while in house devices bleed those profits, then the in house operations would be shut down in favor of keeping profits from licensed devices intact.

That's why I'm of a mind that Z3 sales probably aren't a factor in the 10 million break point. Because Z3 sales don't represent the in house costs to operate.

For example... Suppose the Foxconn devices provide 5 million in revenue to BBRY, and BBRY's in house devices result in a 2 million loss. Now BBRY gets 3 million instead of 5 million. The in house hardware department would not be profitable, and costing them money.

Penned via Tapatalk
    BB_Junky likes this.
    02-23-15 03:42 PM
    The 10 million is just a goal. If BlackBerry sells 10 million, devices will be profitable. He didn't say this would happen in the current year.

This is also not set in stone, Chen said that devices are already break even or better from an accounting perspective.

Z3 counts toward the number just like any other sale. Foxconn is just another manufacturer that BlackBerry uses even if Foxconn may do some design work.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 03:43 PM
    Oh yes, BBRY is definitely making money for every Foxconn device sold. But that can't be factored in to hardware device design and production. Even if the Z3 were to be the hottest device ever sold, there'd still be the point that BBRY's hardware department would be bleeding those profits if it didn't tow their own line.

Point being... If Foxconn devices make money, while in house devices bleed those profits, then the in house operations would be shut down in favor of keeping profits from licensed devices intact.

That's why I'm of a mind that Z3 sales probably aren't a factor in the 10 million break point. Because Z3 sales don't represent the in house costs to operate.

For example... Suppose the Foxconn devices provide 5 million in revenue to BBRY, and BBRY's in house devices result in a 2 million loss. Now BBRY gets 3 million instead of 5 million. The in house hardware department would not be profitable, and costing them money.

Penned via Tapatalk
    It certainly didn't work this way. Z3 is built with an partial outsource model where the hardware margin is much lower due to ODM guy shouldering the design and BOM inventory risk. At the end of the day, it is BBRY hardware and there will be no difference between Z3 to Z30 in term of how they recognize the revenue, even though the cost structure is higher on Z3.
    02-23-15 03:57 PM
    BlackBerry's breakfast at MAC is now in less than 2 days.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:45 AM
    The MWC announcements so far are enterprise focused and boring, boring, boring.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:18 PM
30 12