11-06-14 09:50 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    Lenovo interest is the handset division not the rest and that will probably get a pass from the government
    To what end? They can't get BB10 as they already sell Android devices and won't be able to distribute both. And you are mistaken, since the article is about stock price and not a purchase price for the handset division, there is no separation. The stock price quote is for the entire company.
    mornhavon likes this.
    10-20-14 08:09 PM
    It is a curious coinkie-dink JC happens to be in HK when this rumour surfaces....

Flicked out via Zed30
    Maybe he is a Chinese agent growing Blackberry's penetration inside corporations and world governments with a plan to sell BlackBerry off to the Chinese for inside intel.

See what partnerships and concessions must be given to gain access to the Chinese market.

Tin hat in hand.
    10-20-14 08:13 PM
    Analysts think otherwise since they all have targets in the $6-8 range only fantasy bloggers think it is worth more
    Do you even check before you post?

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Analyst Research - NASDAQ.com

Average target price is 9.25.
    10-20-14 08:13 PM
    I'll sell my Z10 and 9700 immediately and never use any Blackberry devices again if the company is belong to Lenovo!!!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Lenovo is a cancer, and I type this from a ThinkPad, so I've seen what they do to ruin a product.

When you think of a Lenovo acquisition of ANYTHING, nobody in the world thinks: "Great! Now quality and service is only to get better!" Everybody knows what Lenovo stands for. Everybody knows that they exist only to exploit once household brand-names in a perpetual race to the bottom.

Everybody on this message board stands to lose with a Lenovo acquisition. Products like the Passport do not happen under Lenovo. If you think things looked dire for BlackBerry a year ago, wait until you see how quickly corporate and governments drop BlackBerry with a Lenovo acquisition.
    10-20-14 08:29 PM
    Can't believe no one has mentioned no way the EU approve this since BB bought Secusmart. The Germans would block Lenovo as soon as it comes across their desk.
    10-20-14 10:34 PM
    This Canadian would no longer be a BlackBerry customer if a sale to a Chinese company were to take place. Wouldn't come back either.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 10:35 PM
    Can't believe no one has mentioned no way the EU approve this since BB bought Secusmart. The Germans would block Lenovo as soon as it comes across their desk.
    I mentioned it in the comments section on the relevant blog post regarding this rumor.

Merkel could agree to a sale of Secusmart to BBRY. But sure she won't approve of the idea of selling it to a mainland Chinese operation...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-20-14 10:59 PM
    I would be very disappointed if John decided to sell of BlackBerry to Lenovo now or any company for that matter, especially at the rumored prices.

I think the ship is just starting to turn and there is so much more value to be extracted. They have made the tough decisions and are on the path to growth, don't throw away the company to Lenovo.

Given all that John has said about not wanting to sell the company right now + all the executive talent he has sourced, I don't think he would want to sell.

All that said, I really don't believe the rumor anyway, just like the one about 1 million passports being sold.
    10-21-14 04:28 AM
    I would be very disappointed if John decided to sell of BlackBerry to Lenovo now or any company for that matter, especially at the rumored prices.

I think the ship is just starting to turn and there is so much more value to be extracted. They have made the tough decisions and are on the path to growth, don't throw away the company to Lenovo.

Given all that John has said about not wanting to sell the company right now + all the executive talent he has sourced, I don't think he would want to sell.

All that said, I really don't believe the rumor anyway, just like the one about 1 million passports being sold.
    Yes, I think your analysis is spot on. Having said that, I could see Lenovo working in partnership with BlackBerry to expand its reach in Asia. It could be a great hardware - software partnership particularly as it relates to standard slab phones. Nobody is making money on the Android platform except Samsung at the moment. A buyout of BlackBerry is impossible and won't happen. Further, Lenovo has little understanding of software and thus such a buyout would be a disaster. It really isn't rocket science sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    europolska00 likes this.
    10-21-14 07:14 AM
    The more I read about this the less likely it is to happen. Chen has been quoted as saying any sale to a Chinese company is highly unlikely. There was no mention regarding the story in today's WSJ as well. If it was news worthy there would have been an article.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 07:25 AM
    It most likely has to do with the handset division. Licensing is most likely

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 08:05 AM
    It most likely has to do with the handset division. Licensing is most likely

Posted via CB10
    Why would Levono buy Blackberry hardware division when they already have Motorola? As for Licensing, only Blackberry uses the OS, no other OEMs are interested. And OEMs including Levono can't sell phones with BB10 and Android side by side without big problems with Google licensing.
    m1a1mg and mornhavon like this.
    10-21-14 08:40 AM
    Why would Levono buy Blackberry hardware division when they already have Motorola? As for Licensing, only Blackberry uses the OS, no other OEMs are interested. And OEMs including Levono can't sell phones with BB10 and Android side by side without big problems with Google licensing.
    Best rumor I have heard is for lenovo being able to manufacture keyboard devices for Android

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:09 AM
    I can't see this happening. However, I do believe BlackBerry will eventually be sold.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, my feeling exactly.
    10-21-14 02:54 PM
    Best rumor I have heard is for lenovo being able to manufacture keyboard devices for Android

Posted via CB10
    Seems a lot of money for making keyboard Androids. Doesn't matter, Levono will never buy Blackberry.
    10-21-14 07:54 PM
    Personally, I think the offer price is insanely high, which is exactly why this rumor like almost every other Blackberry takeover rumor is fabricated.

It's highly unlikely a company will offer an 80% premium for another company. Lenovo could probably get a better price through hostile takeover. No need to talk to John Chen.
    If you think that price is insanely high you know nothing about the company. If you liquidated BlackBerry with all its assets, cash, and patents it would be worth more than that. Not to mention the upside of the slow come back in hardware, reputation, and Enterprise. Which automatically makes it worth way more than $18.

And none of that has scratched the surface of the true value of BlackBerry and why Lenovo wants them. It is well known Lenovo wants in on the Internet of Things. Many analysts have said countless times that that is the next big technology wave and BlackBerry is well positioned to capitalize in it. Look up IoT, BlackBerry Project Ion, QNX. Lenovo is willing to invest now in BlackBerry while they can still buy it for cheap before IoT takes off. So over pay? No. They're trying to steal it for cheap.

The fact that you make up numbers like 80% premium is crazy. Do you know BlackBerry 's net worth? Cash on Hand?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:21 PM
    Lenovo may want to create computer running BB10, like the chrome book.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 06:54 AM
    If you think that price is insanely high you know nothing about the company. If you liquidated BlackBerry with all its assets, cash, and patents it would be worth more than that. Not to mention the upside of the slow come back in hardware, reputation, and Enterprise. Which automatically makes it worth way more than $18.

And none of that has scratched the surface of the true value of BlackBerry and why Lenovo wants them. It is well known Lenovo wants in on the Internet of Things. Many analysts have said countless times that that is the next big technology wave and BlackBerry is well positioned to capitalize in it. Look up IoT, BlackBerry Project Ion, QNX. Lenovo is willing to invest now in BlackBerry while they can still buy it for cheap before IoT takes off. So over pay? No. They're trying to steal it for cheap.

The fact that you make up numbers like 80% premium is crazy. Do you know BlackBerry 's net worth? Cash on Hand?

Posted via CB10
    Come again? Those numbers are not made up.

We can argue about it's "true" worth all day, but the fact remains that the market determines what a company is worth.
    Bbnivende, m1a1mg and mornhavon like this.
    10-22-14 07:24 AM

We can argue about it's "true" worth all day, but the fact remains that the market determines what a company is worth.
    And no one was willing to pay anything close to that last year.
    10-22-14 03:47 PM

Yep! The only true value of anything is what actual buyers will actually pay for it. Everything else is just wishes and stories.

Not all patents, for example, are worth that much. Most are nearly worthless in a sale. Some are very valuable for a certain amount of time in certain situations. We don't really know what BlackBerry's patents are worth until someone offers real $ for them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    m1a1mg and mornhavon like this.
    10-22-14 06:42 PM
    It'd make more sense for Lenovo to just license the OS.
    How exactly would this benefit Lenovo?
    mornhavon likes this.
    10-22-14 08:28 PM
    I have a better idea . Lenovo makes a non controlling investment in Blackberry and produces hardware for them. Lenovo benefits from the hardware manufacturing side with the added benefit of BlackBerry patent protection . They also may be able to fork BB10, and produce their own consumer focused BB10/Android devices. BlackBerry focuses on enterprise software side and never looks back. Any future hardware required to drive BlackBerrys IoT/machine to machine rests on Lenovo. Any software to drive the hardware belongs to BlackBerry. I get my 10% for putting it all together, and all is well.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't solve the problem that governments don't trust made in china.... hardware can be hacked the moment it's built. Backdoors you know.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 08:53 PM
    How exactly would this benefit Lenovo?
    This.
    10-22-14 09:02 PM
    FYI, latest on John Chen's opinion of a deal happening at their price

It's not displaying properly. Can you post a link?
    11-04-14 03:01 PM
    FYI, latest on John Chen's opinion of a deal happening at their price
    Yeah I don't see him coming back and saying "that's too much, we would be happy to get $11". It's the CEO's job to talk the company up and to get share prices up.

If Chen is so sure BlackBerry is worth much more that the $15 and they have so much cash saved up... why aren't they buying back stock?
    11-06-14 09:19 AM
101 ... 2345