11-06-13 08:34 AM
68 123
tools
    ThinkBerry...? That just doesn't sound right.

I believe we're over thinking that the governments will automatically block a potential acquisition by Lenovo. Many government agencies in both US and Canada already contract out with IT vendors to use Lenovo equipment, especially their ThinkPad line of computers. Lenovo has also made significant investments in Canada and the US, and have many local offices, employing Canadians and Americans and contributing to the economy. I'm sure all of these factors will all come into play.

If they were so concerned about spying, no government agencies would use ThinkPads or anything else that came out of China.
    10-18-13 10:30 AM
    If I'm not mistaken there are news saying british counter intelligence agencies found hardware/hardcoded backdoors on their lenovos,it was in the news.

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-18-13 10:53 AM
    ThinkBerry...? That just doesn't sound right.

I believe we're over thinking that the governments will automatically block a potential acquisition by Lenovo. Many government agencies in both US and Canada already contract out with IT vendors to use Lenovo equipment, especially their ThinkPad line of computers. Lenovo has also made significant investments in Canada and the US, and have many local offices, employing Canadians and Americans and contributing to the economy. I'm sure all of these factors will all come into play.

If they were so concerned about spying, no government agencies would use ThinkPads or anything else that came out of China.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/125802/article.html

Not all!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 10:54 AM
    Good point - I just found this more recent article: Spy agencies ban Lenovo PCs on security concerns as well.

I do see Gov staff sporting Lenovo laptops around here (Toronto). Not sure how restrictive their procurement policies are, maybe it's just applied to intelligence/law enforcement divisions.

I guess we'll see soon enough!
    10-18-13 11:15 AM
    I imagine Canadian and US security concerns will be a major issue with such an acquisition so todays price bump is quite speculative and a day trader's wet dream. But then we sold IBM PC biz to them back in the day so anything is possible when big money is in the mix. They would have to offer a premium to FF's offer to be seriously considered due to foreign complications. I figure they would have to bid between 11-13 a share to get past concerns so call/put option pricing is going to get interesting.
    10-18-13 07:35 PM
    You know absolutely nothing. Trust me.

I know for a fact this deal will not take place.

The all stream example does not even come close to this situation. This is a company with unique access to US government departments, among the many other Canadian, South African, and German (just to name a few).

If it was Samsung, Harper would let it go. The fact that it's Lenovo scares the bejesus out of the US DOD more than at home.

Also, sidebar, Huawei has long been considered a company tied to organised crime in China.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:45 PM
    BlackBerry gets a Lenovo acquisition! HTC gets a Lenovo acquisition! You get a Lenovo acquisition! Everyone gets a Lenovo acquisition!

Posted via CB10
    sunsetblow likes this.
    10-18-13 10:59 PM
    Wouldn't BlackBerry and lenovo both know all this about national security, blocked deal stuff? Why would they even bother wasting their time with a deal if they thought there was no chance? Hasn't BlackBerry already lobbied the Canadian government on these issues? They must already have a good idea what kind of deal could get done.

I was understanding there is a break fee if you sign a no disclosure agreement and did not bid?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 12:43 AM
    You know absolutely nothing. Trust me.

I'm not going to get into CB forum drama. We shall see how everything plays out. If my sources in the company and the federal government are wrong, I'll stand corrected.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:03 AM
    I'm not going to get into CB forum drama. We shall see how everything plays out. If my sources in the company and the federal government are wrong, I'll stand corrected.

Posted via CB10
    Not saying you are wrong but why would blackberry even enter into an NDA if people within the company (your sources) and the government are saying it will never happen?

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-19-13 03:06 AM
    Not saying you are wrong but why would blackberry even enter into an NDA if people within the company (your sources) and the government are saying it will never happen?

Posted via CB10
    Again, the board is accountable to the stockholders. They can't in good faith to the business refuse to sign an NDA with another firm when they are looking for strategic alternatives/partnerships. They want to demonstrate that they've exhausted and explored all possibilities before they recommend to the stockholders on a direction.

Posted via CB10
    metz9444 likes this.
    10-19-13 03:16 AM
    Plus why would Lenovo do that? It would be a waste of resources on their part.
    ray689 likes this.
    10-19-13 03:19 AM
    Again, the board is accountable to the stockholders. They can't in good faith to the business refuse to sign an NDA with another firm when they are looking for strategic alternatives/partnerships. They want to demonstrate that they've exhausted and explored all possibilities before they recommend to the stockholders on a direction.

Posted via CB10
    So you think it looks better for stockholders for them to pursue things they KNOW (your words not mine) will never materialize?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:20 AM
    So you think it looks better for stockholders for them to pursue things they KNOW (your words not mine) will never materialize?

Posted via CB10
    No, it looks better for the BOARD that they've exhausted all possibilities so there's no doubt when they present to the stockholders.

I haven't said BlackBerry is coming out and saying this deal won't happen. They're doing there diligence in the pursuit of a strategic partnership.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:25 AM
    It also works in the reverse. You think Lenovo would internally or externally not want to explore a firm like BlackBerry? They'd be silly not to. They see competitor firms with interest, whether they genuinely have one or not, they are compelled to do their diligence too.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:27 AM
    No, it looks better for the BOARD that they've exhausted all possibilities so there's no doubt when they present to the stockholders.

I haven't said BlackBerry is coming out and saying this deal won't happen. They're doing there diligence in the pursuit of a strategic partnership.

Posted via CB10
    Now a partnership is something I would like to see. I hope you are correct but according to the articles i've read, the interest from Lenova is for an outright purchase (not saying I believe everything I read).

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:32 AM
    If I'm not mistaken there are news saying british counter intelligence agencies found hardware/hardcoded backdoors on their lenovos,it was in the news.

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    And you honestly believe such claims coming from a unit whose primary goals are data containment and disinformation ? LOL! Ever heard of discrediting ?

Anyone who believes a word that these masters of spin in the alphabet soup agencies say needs to get their head examined.
    10-19-13 03:48 AM
    Exactly. Didn't Blackberry recently approach the government to relax foreign ownership rules? Could be coincidental or not.
    fedakd likes this.
    10-19-13 06:06 AM
    It also works in the reverse. You think Lenovo would internally or externally not want to explore a firm like BlackBerry? They'd be silly not to. They see competitor firms with interest, whether they genuinely have one or not, they are compelled to do their diligence too.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 10:07 AM
    Every one is only considering about BB,feel bad
    10-19-13 02:28 PM
    Most exciting interesting prospect yet. Lenovo is a good fit as their android department is DOA, and their slogan is 'people who do'. That's a prosumer!
    Are you kidding me? They're the 2nd largest seller of smartphones in China after Samsung recently selling about 10 million units a quarter, in China alone. And they're all Android phones. And they've only been selling them for about 2 years.

EDIT: To put 10 million per quarter in perspective, that would be like selling a smartphone to every man, woman, and child in Canada in a year, and still have 5 million left over.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-19-13 at 06:36 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    10-19-13 06:23 PM
    Are you kidding me? They're the 2nd largest seller of smartphones in China after Samsung recently selling about 10 million units a quarter, in China alone. And they're all Android phones. And they've only been selling them for about 2 years.
    +1. Lenovo's doing well to say the least....may be growing faster than anyone.....big growth in 2012 and this year.
    10-19-13 06:32 PM
    To put 10 million per quarter in perspective, that would be like selling a smartphone to every man, woman, and child in Canada in a year, and still have 5 million left over.
    There's actually 35 million people in Canada, so 3 per person. But I see what you're saying.
    Canadian population surpasses 35 million - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
    10-19-13 06:53 PM
    There's actually 35 million people in Canada, so 3 per person. But I see what you're saying.
    Canadian population surpasses 35 million - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
    10 million phones per quarter is 40 million in a year.
    10-19-13 07:53 PM
    10 million phones per quarter is 40 million in a year.
    Sorry, I missed "per quarter" That's a heck of a lot of units.
    10-19-13 08:00 PM
68 123