11-06-13 07:34 AM
68 123
tools
    "China's Lenovo is considering buying BlackBerry. The firm has signed a non-disclosure agreement to look at the smartphone maker's books."

World, Global and International News from Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com

https://twitter.com/WSJmarkets

Report: Lenovo actively looking at BlackBerry, considering purchase of whole company - sources tell @WSJmarkets - breakingnews.com

What do you think about that ? It seems to me better than getting bought by Google...
    10-17-13 02:02 PM
    I heard their hardware is very good. I wonder how good they would be in the smartphone game. BB10 (as in, buying the whole thing) is a good way to join, if you ask me.
    10-17-13 02:05 PM
    I rock a lenovo for work and I love that dang keyboard

Posted via CB10
    redsaph likes this.
    10-17-13 02:05 PM
    Again?

Posted from my Z10
    kfh227 likes this.
    10-17-13 02:12 PM
    Most exciting interesting prospect yet. Lenovo is a good fit as their android department is DOA, and their slogan is 'people who do'. That's a prosumer!

But i want BB to stay in Canada so bad!
    10-17-13 02:14 PM
    Setting aside managing skills or growth potential, I would rather see BlackBerry staying in Canadians hands, mostly to guarantee jobs here. But eh, being in stock exchange, it is owned by people all over the world, so it is hardly different.

I would still prefer (not by a large margin) this than being acquired by a giant company like Google, Apple or Samsung already in the smartphone market, where skills would be diluted and teams disbanded.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 02:21 PM
    I heard their hardware is very good. I wonder how good they would be in the smartphone game. BB10 (as in, buying the whole thing) is a good way to join, if you ask me.
    They are already in the smartphone market, it's just they haven't expanded into many markets yet.
    10-17-13 02:21 PM
    I am for it. BlackBerry 10 lives if that's the case. I think.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-17-13 02:24 PM
    It would more likely be a partnership then a buyout if it's lenovo.

Posted from my Z10
    10-17-13 02:29 PM
    UNlikley to want the phone biz, would like QNX, BES and the patents though.

Also, unlikley to get past the feds, no way it can be in the best interest of Canada. BBRY is still a solvent company. Bigger international buyouts have been quashed
    metz9444 and metz9444 like this.
    10-17-13 02:32 PM
    wow , they make nice Android phones. No way theu would want the BB phone biz
    10-17-13 02:34 PM
    Full article:

Lenovo Group Ltd. 0992.HK -1.32% is actively considering a bid for all of BlackBerry Ltd. BB.T -0.36% , according to people familiar with the matter.

The Chinese personal-computer and smartphone maker has signed a "non-disclosure" agreement that enables it to look at the company's books, one of the people said.

Timeline: From RIM to BlackBerry
    View Graphics

Spokespeople for both companies declined to comment on Lenovo's interest.

Last month, BlackBerry reached a preliminary $4.7 billion buyout deal with Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. FFH.T -1.19% , a Canadian insurance firm that is one of BlackBerry's largest shareholders.

Lenovo is one of several potential bidders that have been circling the Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, according to people familiar with the matter. Others include Cerberus Capital Management LP and BlackBerry co-founder Mike Lazaridis, people familiar with the matter have said.

In August, BlackBerry officially put itself up for sale after years of ceding market share to rivals including Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.

A deal by Lenovo to buy BlackBerry would be one of the biggest and most noteworthy of a Western company by a Chinese company, and would be certain to face government scrutiny in both Canada and the U.S.
    10-17-13 02:48 PM
    my lenovo laptop looks pretty damn good!
    10-17-13 09:23 PM
    UNlikley to want the phone biz, would like QNX, BES and the patents though.

Also, unlikley to get past the feds, no way it can be in the best interest of Canada. BBRY is still a solvent company. Bigger international buyouts have been quashed
    Precisely. Someone else mentioned that they see a partnership and that is the only way I can see it going. Look it's no secret the there is very much a cyber war going on with China being a major belligerent. Of course Lenovo is a private company with great hardware but seriously....

It wouldn't just be Canada not being cool with the sale. That's not even taking into account the jobs.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 10:45 PM
    The more I think about this the more it seems unlikely. Although they are the only fellow mobile technology manufacturer rumored to look at BlackBerry's books.
    10-17-13 10:53 PM
    The Canadian gov. wont let a Chinese company buy a huge mobile phone and critical systems software development company.
    kevinnugent and mastermike87 like this.
    10-17-13 11:16 PM
    The Canadian gov. wont let a Chinese company buy a huge mobile phone and critical systems software development company.
    Like they did with Allstream and Accelero Capital not so long ago.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/07/go...rity-concerns/

Now the transaction is ten times the money and BlackBerry are governments phones for several countries across the world, including Canada. Bet they want to keep Chinese away from their government secrets in this domain (as opposed to petroleum where they call them with open arms).

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 11:46 PM
    Like they did with Allstream and Accelero Capital not so long ago.

Government axes proposed 0 million Accelero-MTS Allstream deal over national security concerns | MobileSyrup.com

Now the transaction is ten times the money and BlackBerry are governments phones for several countries across the world, including Canada. Bet they want to keep Chinese away from their government secrets in this domain (as opposed to petroleum where they call them with open arms).

Posted via CB10
    even more ... would you put your backend for all mible services into a cloud based system owned by the red army. Would you let that system manage your military and gov phones ... don't think so. and what about mission critical QNX apps.

the chinese are already doing huge amnts of eletronic espionage, the is like getting the Wonka ticket

not gonna happen
    10-18-13 12:05 AM
    The nationalists will destroy the company. If these governments are so concerned with the purchase taking place, them BUY the shares and veto it as an owner. Or even better, delist and run in privately. Dont take shareholders down because of ridiculous selfish reasons.

I am all for Lenovo buying blackberry if it will cut losses for its owners.
    10-18-13 01:09 AM
    You want to give a totalitarian regime with a poor human rights record access to vast amounts of government and technology secrets to safeguard shareholder investment. You then call others selfish? Priceless...
    donmateo, SK122387, RAFA1 and 1 others like this.
    10-18-13 02:00 AM
    its will be epic fight to take crown jewel
    10-18-13 03:52 AM
    I have been looking at the Chinese mobile scene recently and I am convinced that the next revolutions in mobile tech will come from China.
    Brands like Huawei and ZTE are known outside of China but there are many others. A lot of the phones they produce are just clones of Samsung and HTC, but these still have powerful processors, 1080p screens and up to 2GB of ram. The most important thing though is price, they are about a third of the price of their Korean equivalents.
    One company called Xiaomi have just launched a real blockbuster 5" phone, which they claim is the world's fastest. The Mi3 looks gorgeous and has very impressive specs, yet the 16GB version sells for just US$330. This is what Lenovo, who have a mundane range of phones by comparison, will need to compete with. I think that the Chinese will lead the market in the coming years with cheaper phones and I just cannot see how BlackBerry can compete.
    This keynote and launch of the Xiaomi Mi3 lasts an hour and is certainly worth a watch. Apple launched the iPhone 5c to capture the Chinese market, the Xaiomi Mi3 totally crushes it on specs, has a bigger screen and costs $200 less. Apple's latest new exec was hired from Burberry, Xiaomi's comes from Google. I think that BlackBerry's best hope for the future is to become part of this next new revolution from China, rather than try to compete with it.

Wmsi likes this.
    10-18-13 04:57 AM
    Reuters article:
    (Reuters) - Chinese computer maker Lenovo, which has signed a non-disclosure deal to examine BlackBerry's books, faces regulatory obstacles if it bids for all of the company and will likely pursue just parts, a source familiar with the matter said on Thursday.
    10-18-13 08:24 AM
    I know for a fact this deal will not take place.

The all stream example does not even come close to this situation. This is a company with unique access to US government departments, among the many other Canadian, South African, and German (just to name a few).

If it was Samsung, Harper would let it go. The fact that it's Lenovo scares the bejesus out of the US DOD more than at home.

Also, sidebar, Huawei has long been considered a company tied to organised crime in China.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 09:06 AM
    Lenovo's 27" tablet re branded to a 27" PlayBook computer would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 09:17 AM
68 123