01-04-14 05:00 PM
130 ... 3456
tools
    Do they still sell BBOS BES to enterprises or just BES10 now?
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server - BES - USLegacy devices EOL Dec 2015 [Updated: Not Happening]-capture.png

I thought they stopped? I think you still need BES5 to use BBOS devices at a certain OS level, but I'm not entirely sure... I just remember an article from the spring/summertime from Chris Umi about where BlackBerry was going with Enterprise and trying to capture the MDM market by managing iOS and Android devices through BES10.
    Posted via CB10
    You are correct. Legacy devices need BES5 to operate and BB10 devices need BES10. The novelty in latest BES10 release is that you now have an unified environment to manage both devices types (and Androids' and iOs') in a single BES10 console.

Says it all
    00stryder likes this.
    01-03-14 02:54 AM
    As soon as the Jakarta is ready they need to stop selling all low end BBOS devices in developing markets. They need to tell corporate BES customers that they will stop making BBOS phones soon and give them assistance to implement BES10 and they will convert all existing BES5 licenses to BES10 for free. Give them unbelievable deals on Q10 and Z10 and Z30 to aid in the migrations. BBOS device sales need to stop ASAP. This is the best way to get people to migrate. You might lose some customers, but you are telling everyone you are 100% in and committed to BB10 and that is where all of your marketing and Corporate efforts need to go.

Posted via CB10
    Stopping the supply of your top selling devices seems a tad unwise.

You cant force customers to buy BB10 devices if they dont want to.

Improve BB10 (e.g. include more popular legacy features etc.) and lower the price of the phones to encourage migration.
    JeepBB, anon8091350 and FF22 like this.
    01-03-14 05:13 AM
    Stopping the supply of your top selling devices seems a tad unwise.

You cant force customers to buy BB10 devices if they dont want to.

Improve BB10 (e.g. include more popular legacy features etc.) and lower the price of the phones to encourage migration.
    The problem is that I think most of the holdouts want BBOS with the app capability of BB10. It just isn't going to happen IMHO. I'm just as productive now, and probably more so, on my Z10 than I was on any BBOS device, including my 9900. I mean I see people on here clamoring for track pads FFS and that was the most unreliable part of the old BBOS phones IMHO as I had three fail in my family. Some people are just set in their ways and won't change until they have no choice to, and then will change, complain, and go on.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:53 AM
    IMO it's highly divisive to maintain both, if the intent is to promote BB10 as the platform of the future. What precisely is the message that BBRY wants to promote? BBOS for enterprise, BB10 for consumer? Other way around? One for emerging markets, the other not? Or only in certain areas?

The transition has to happen as it seems insane to maintain both indefinitely. Pull off the bandaid. Offer a sweet deal to upgrade to BB10 then stop BBOS.
    lnichols likes this.
    01-03-14 09:35 AM
    I can't believe this guy said what he did.

Either he was misquoted or he needs to keep his mouth shut! Think about all the article written and then updated because this guy shot off his mouth! Man oh man, John Chen has go to get these folks in line.
    01-03-14 09:38 AM
    I can't believe this guy said what he did.

Either he was misquoted or he needs to keep his mouth shut! Think about all the article written and then updated because this guy shot off his mouth! Man oh man, John Chen has go to get these folks in line.
    I have a feeling what he said might be true but we weren't supposed to know.
    01-03-14 09:46 AM
    I have a feeling what he said might be true but we weren't supposed to know.
    Probably the first time ever we have agreed on something .

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-03-14 09:54 AM
    The problem is that I think most of the holdouts want BBOS with the app capability of BB10. It just isn't going to happen IMHO. I'm just as productive now, and probably more so, on my Z10 than I was on any BBOS device, including my 9900. I mean I see people on here clamoring for track pads FFS and that was the most unreliable part of the old BBOS phones IMHO as I had three fail in my family. Some people are just set in their ways and won't change until they have no choice to, and then will change, complain, and go on.

Posted via CB10
    problem is people have plenty of choices...how many do you think current BB users will upgrade to BB10 ?.. just like past BBOS user majority will choose Android / iPhone.

at least by selling BBOS phone BB still get revenue from hardware sales, and BIS services fee..
    01-03-14 12:35 PM
    A does not necessarily negate B... that they will continue to do "back end" for BBOS is fine... that they will no longer be making, building or adding features to that ecosystem is also fine. It will dwindle, then die.

Honestly people... that's what M$ does, that's what Apple does... you don't "kill" the device, you just make the people wish it was dead so they will move on their own accord. You "support" it (minimally) "forever"... but that doesn't mean all the new options, features, etc... that part is dead.

It's just like this: my old Apple iphone 3 is "supported" by Apple - I can still get stuff off the Apple store for it... but not any of the latest stuff, and less and less versions of software are available... but it's still "supported" - but it is also at EOL because it is running a couple of OS's back... same deal with BBOS, in order to work, they have to do minimal support on the back end, which they will continue to do... fine, no problem... but don't expect any new software dev for it (and honestly, I don't know why they are waiting that long to end that... they ought to be making that happen NOW)

EDIT - one further thought/comment... windows/nokia is offering the Nokia 520 for $59 UNLOCKED / No Contract now... this is the phone that is 1/3 of the WP ecosystem... maybe if Blackberry would do that with a phone with similar features - drive the ecosystem to get BB10 much larger.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-03-14 12:52 PM
    This guy should be fired... can't have these kind of rumors floating within your own company....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-03-14 01:36 PM
    To many people allowed to talk. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that has plagued them in the past, and I don't understand because this should be the easy stuff.

Continuity of the message.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Dave Bourque and 00stryder like this.
    01-03-14 03:02 PM
    To many people allowed to talk. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that has plagued them in the past, and I don't understand because this should be the easy stuff.

Continuity of the message.

Hoping that Chen cracks down on this issue. I totally agree

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-03-14 03:54 PM
    It would be nice if the update could be included in the OP.
    01-03-14 04:29 PM
    It would be nice if the update could be included in the OP.
    My thoughts exactly. As is normally done, the first post is updated with a message and sometimes a link to the new info. The only thing that was updated was the thread title. OP, I know you're not new....

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    01-03-14 09:38 PM
    My thoughts exactly. As is normally done, the first post is updated with a message and sometimes a link to the new info. The only thing that was updated was the thread title. OP, I know you're not new....

The update was blackberry's promise to support BBOS past 2015 .. Was it not ?

01-03-14 10:36 PM
    The update was blackberry's promise to support BBOS past 2015 .. Was it not ?

Yes, that was the update but what myself and kbz are saying is that the person who created this thread needs to update the first post of this thread to reflect the update. The only thing the thread creator did is update the title of the thread.

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-03-14 10:39 PM
    Yes, that was the update but what myself and kbz are saying is that the person who created this thread needs to update the first post of this thread to reflect the update. The only thing the thread creator did is update the title of the thread.

My guess is he didn't update anything the crackberry mods did it for him.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    RyanGermann and 00stryder like this.
    01-03-14 10:40 PM
    is a fair interpretation of this that BlackBerry will no longer actively sell BBOS devices after 2015 but will support them indefinitely after sales are discontinued? that gives BlackBerry 2 years to bring BB10 to feature parity with BBOS and get some new devices (both low- and high-end) to market. That is totally reasonable, but leaking this without any supporting information about the direction for BB10 and possible future device profiles (beyond the name 'jakarta') is... well, pick one of "premature" or "stupid". or both.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:50 PM
    is a fair interpretation of this that BlackBerry will no longer actively sell BBOS devices after 2015 but will support them indefinitely after sales are discontinued? that gives BlackBerry 2 years to bring BB10 yo feature parity with BBOS and get some new devices (both low- and high-end) to market. That is totally reasonable, but leaking this without any supporting information about the direction for BB10 and device profiles us... well, pick one of "premature" or "stupid". or both.

Posted via CB10
    I think what they mean is that they will stop selling bb7 in 2015. But will still provide updates and support.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-03-14 10:53 PM
    I think what they mean is that they will stop selling bb7 in 2015. But will still provide updates and support.
    Why would you think they would provide updates?

If they provide updates, they need to pay a team of devs to work on those updates and maintain the product software... quite an expense for an EOL'ed product line.

I think a support model much the same as for the Playbook is much more likely, where "support" boils down to "if it breaks, we'll replace it under warranty".

How many PB OS2.1 updates have we seen?
    kbz1960 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    01-04-14 08:46 AM

If they provide updates, they need to pay a team of devs to work on those updates and maintain the product software... quite an expense for an EOL'ed product line.

I think a support model much the same as for the Playbook is much more likely, where "support" boils down to "if it breaks, we'll replace it under warranty".

I think it will completely depend on how many subs are still using the legacy devices. Sure, it's not cheap, but they receive income for every legacy user so should there be enough, it would be prudent to stay on it.
    01-04-14 09:12 AM
    Was the PB ever officially EOL'ed ?
    01-04-14 09:13 AM
    Was the PB ever officially EOL'ed ?
    Possibly not "officially", but do you foresee continued development of the Playbook product line?

I do however recall a BB statement, possibly from Thor(?) at the time of the "No BB10 on PB" announcement, that BB would continue to support the Playbook. So the Playbook is definitely in that "being supported" state.

Other than warranty repair/replacement, what recent support has the PB received from BB?

I rather doubt that there is a development support team within BB working on PB OS2.2, much as I doubt there will be a development team working on updates to OS7.x when BB7 devices reach the support phase.
    01-04-14 09:25 AM
    This guy should be fired... can't have these kind of rumors floating within your own company....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Only if the guy was given a clear message and publically announced something different. Recent history shows that clear, concise communication isn't the management teams strong point.
    Chen is the new messiah in waiting, we'll see if he's actually up to the task. Hype is currently exaggerating his performance.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-04-14 01:05 PM

We saw a update for pbos 2.1 in September I think . It's basically basic security updates.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-04-14 02:43 PM
130 ... 3456