01-04-14 05:00 PM
130 1234 ...
tools
    meanwhile, in the same article ....
    BlackBerry will seek to cutting costs of current BlackBerry 10 devices, with the Q5 expected to receive a price cut by January in India. Lalwani says the company will no longer focus on the entry-level market with its next devices and has no future plans to re-enter the tablet space after the PlayBook.
    Price cuts for Q10, Z30, maybe not all but in some markets. And the "Jakarta" is not entry level .... ?(?)
    01-02-14 02:10 AM
    I love this. Gives BES users time to fund their BES10 upgrade and also lets others know to start the transition to BB10. When a company gives a timeline like this, it is a nudge to move to the next gen, hence, as stated above, BB10 is here to stay. Cheers!
    Upgrading to BES 10 and BlackBerry 10 smartphones is surprisingly cheaper than the BES 5 and BlackBerry 5/6/7 smartphones it replaces. Installing, configuring, and managing BES 10 is much easier than the legacy systems it replaces.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    ghundiraj likes this.
    01-02-14 02:12 AM
    I don't fully understand the intricacies of BIS or the infrastructure required to operate the legacy devices; would it be possible for Blackberry to sell that side of their business while it's still worth something?
    Probably going to be used for backend processes on QNX devices...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:12 AM
    Does that mean they are going to shut down BIS?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. You'll see a service delivery platform which expands subscription-based services as a the current non-subscription BlackBerry Messenger. The new service delivery platform will not require a BlackBerry-specific from the wireless carriers unlike BlackBerry Internet Service.

01-02-14 02:18 AM
    meanwhile, in the same article ....

Price cuts for Q10, Z30, maybe not all but in some markets. And the "Jakarta" is not entry level .... ?(?)
    If BlackBerry doesn't release a new tablet they'll be non-players in the mobile computing market. The exodus to Apple and Samsung will accelerate among many profeesional-class BlackBerry users in healthcare, education, and other areas where tablet use is increasing. Dumb move by BlackBerry management if true, No, I don't want a phablet.

kbz1960, Toodeurep and togarika like this.
    01-02-14 02:27 AM
    Good for you. I use Android and an iPad. But I suggest you to try a BB10 device before you change to other OS.

it is fine for me....I'm still using BBOS . but i using also android for my primary phone...doesnt have any plan to upgrade to BB10. gonna using android or iPhone only in the future
    01-02-14 04:24 AM
    This article seems to contradict what Chen is saying. Isn't the Jakarta model going to be a low end device? And isn't low end synonymous with entry level or I am getting the terminology wrong?
    01-02-14 04:32 AM
    One always gets odd news from BlackBerry India, remember when the MD said BBM X will launch much earlier than it did( referring to first launch). They always release press statements like this and at the end of the day the company goes in a totally different direction.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 05:04 AM
    At BB World 2013 (January) I was told the legacy devices would be supported until end of 2015 so it seems this has been planned for quite some time, but the decision has not either been final or maybe they decided to make it public with a 2 years notification.

IMHO BB OS devices must be discontinued: The OS has been stretched to a limit far beoynd what it was designed to do. I know many users will claim "it runs fantastic" etc. but just ask yourself "Why BlackBerry OS users typically tries battery pull/wipe/OS reload"?

None of this is nescessary on BB10 devices (or at least very, very, very rarely).

By continuing to sell BB OS devices, BlackBerry just continues to maintain the perception of "quality issues" and an aged device with very few apps.

The task of moving their users to BB10 is not trivial and is very risky. Leaving BB OS means starting with a completely new platform, and unless BlackBerry really gives their existing users a huge benefit, they might as well go to Android or iOS which gives you access to a mature platform (not saying they are trouble free) with all the apps on the market.

I am looking forward to see how Mr. Chen will announce how the BB10 OS / device strategy will continue. They can't live without it (BES 10 has very little value and will compete with 20-40 other MDM solutions) and the have a hard time living with it (BES 10 devices are not selling enough and causing losses).
    01-02-14 05:49 AM
    I'd be surprised if BIS is shut off for legacy users as soon as that. Discontinuing sales of BBOS devices only makes sense in the USA market right now. There are several legacy BBs in the top 50 best selling unlocked phones on Amazon.co.uk including the 9900.
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-02-14 06:03 AM
    Be nice if they offered discounts for upgrading to all owners of bb7 phones now. If they did I probably would have upgraded by now. Since they didn't, I'm still waiting.
    jpvj likes this.
    01-02-14 07:23 AM
    They should have started this at the BB10 launch and never released the 9720. Glad they are finally set a date to fully transition instead of this current fiasco.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 07:28 AM
    I don't see how they could discontinue BIS due to its popularity in certain areas, but the phones won't be sold or supported after December 2015.
    Impossible, if they stop selling them in December 2015 they still have to offer 2 year warranty and support for the ones that just bought them otherwise they'll be hit with a lot of returns. So it's more like 2017 really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-02-14 07:59 AM
    It sounds pretty much like a sales ploy to push along enterprise customers who continue to deploy BBOS devices out of inertia. They must have a ton of those customers in India. You can say you will do almost anything in two years because you don't really have to set anything in motion. I'm sure the previous CEO had a two-year plan also.
    01-02-14 08:07 AM
    "BlackBerry will seek to cutting costs of current BlackBerry 10 devices, with the Q5 expected to receive a price cut by January in India. Lalwani says the company will no longer focus on the entry-level market with its next devices and has no future plans to re-enter the tablet space after the PlayBook."

This guy just halted BB10 sales in one swift move (people will now wait for the prices to drop) and he also completely contradicted Chen in the same sentence.

So is the Jakarta deal off now?

01-02-14 08:20 AM

So is the Jakarta deal off now?

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to be a disconnect here.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:30 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Seems to be a disconnect here.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my sentiments, like I posted before. There really seems to be a bit of a disconnect with the Foxconn plans.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 08:51 AM
    The task of moving their users to BB10 is not trivial and is very risky. Leaving BB OS means starting with a completely new platform, and unless BlackBerry really gives their existing users a huge benefit, they might as well go to Android or iOS which gives you access to a mature platform (not saying they are trouble free) with all the apps on the market.
    This IMO is a very salient point. Switching from a legacy BlackBerry to anything else, including BB10, means adopting an entirely new platform. At that point it's a level playing field, and the only differentiator in BlackBerry's favor that I can see is the physical keyboard on the Q devices.

I have begun to see it in the real world and it's not encouraging; in the firm I work for, all of the younger staff and even a few older ones have moved on to Android or iOS. Among the small handful of us left with a BlackBerry (all on legacy), only one - a senior sales executive - has made the switch to a Q10. He doesn't care for it all and plans to give it back in exchange for something else. Stated reason? It doesn't work the same was as his beloved but deceased Bold 9930.

Forced to try something completely different (not sure why he wasn't offered another 9930), this fellow is going to take the plunge and go in a completely different direction. As a long-time BlackBerry fan, I have to admit that I have considered doing the same when my time comes. The new leadership needs to come up with something compelling. Quickly.
    01-02-14 08:52 AM
    I am not saying anyone did, neither will I be surprise if anyone did.
    And why would that surprise you Mr. Negative.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:07 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't release a new tablet they'll be non-players in the mobile computing market. The exodus to Apple and Samsung will accelerate among many profeesional-class BlackBerry users in healthcare, education, and other areas where tablet use is increasing. Dumb move by BlackBerry management if true, No, I don't want a phablet.

In effect your Nexus Tablet becomes the new Playbook.

We will soon be rolling out an update to the 10.2 OS, called 10.2.1 which will support Android APK – which means a BB user now has access to the entire suite of apps in the Android app store, in addition to existing BB apps.
    01-02-14 09:50 AM
    This IMO is a very salient point. Switching from a legacy BlackBerry to anything else, including BB10, means adopting an entirely new platform. At that point it's a level playing field, and the only differentiator in BlackBerry's favor that I can see is the physical keyboard on the Q devices.

I have begun to see it in the real world and it's not encouraging; in the firm I work for, all of the younger staff and even a few older ones have moved on to Android or iOS. Among the small handful of us left with a BlackBerry (all on legacy), only one - a senior sales executive - has made the switch to a Q10. He doesn't care for it all and plans to give it back in exchange for something else. Stated reason? It doesn't work the same was as his beloved but deceased Bold 9930.

Forced to try something completely different (not sure why he wasn't offered another 9930), this fellow is going to take the plunge and go in a completely different direction. As a long-time BlackBerry fan, I have to admit that I have considered doing the same when my time comes. The new leadership needs to come up with something compelling. Quickly.
    Ok so I just read this and the guy who switched to the Q10 is stupid. So his Q10 doesn't work the same as his 9930 so he wants to give it back and try a NEW OS? Either way the ***** is trying something new and none of the other OS's will give him the feeling of his 9930. The logic of these people who are going to make the switch from old BlackBerrys to new ones is going to be ******** because they don't wanna go to bb10 because it doesn't have the same feeling but will switch to ios because it has apps. But you didn't care about apps 2 weeks ago when you had your old bb. Somebody make sense of that.

Posted via CB10
    ediggity and wincyUt like this.
    01-02-14 09:51 AM
    Good news is that they are confident there will be BB10 devices available in 2015.

Bad news is that they have been confident on things before.
    01-02-14 10:07 AM
    Ok so I just read this and the guy who switched to the Q10 is stupid. So his Q10 doesn't work the same as his 9930 so he wants to give it back and try a NEW OS? Either way the ***** is trying something new and none of the other OS's will give him the feeling of his 9930. The logic of these people who are going to make the switch from old BlackBerrys to new ones is going to be ******** because they don't wanna go to bb10 because it doesn't have the same feeling but will switch to ios because it has apps. But you didn't care about apps 2 weeks ago when you had your old bb. Somebody make sense of that.

Posted via CB10
    It's simple, everybody wants to feel like they're getting value for their buck.

With bb10 the problem is on many levels. BBOS users don't like the new UI, they're missing buttons and apps they already purchased on the old platform as well as many free apps, BB News for example or Social Feeds.

So what's there to be loyal about? Might as well try something new.

Legal Eagle and flyingsolid like this.
    01-02-14 10:12 AM
    Very welcomed news however BlackBerry management should always try to avoid contradicting statements where ever possible.
    01-02-14 10:17 AM
    It's simple, everybody wants to feel like they're getting value for their buck.

With bb10 the problem is on many levels. BBOS users don't like the new UI, they're missing buttons and apps they already purchased on the old platform as well as many free apps, BB News for example or Social Feeds.

So what's there to be loyal about? Might as well try something new.

As a legacy owner my main choice is whether I go for a all touch device or a Q10. If I go all touch , I just do not find the Z models to be compelling enough. The Z30 is big and heavy compared with a Nexus and the Z10 is just not special in any way. Notice that my decision is not based on the OS. Everyone phone does the same things but some do them better.

If I need to go for a physical keyboard phone then I would want to see a larger screen than the current Q10. I prefer the physical keyboard but I also place an equal importance on using the internet etc. The Q30, if it comes, may keep me in the fold.

To sum up, there are a lot of reasons why people buy a particular phone but the chance to try out a new unfamiliar OS is not very high on the list.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-02-14 10:33 AM
130 1234 ...