10-26-13 12:39 AM
145 1234 ...
tools
    I could have sworn I read a post earlier today about how some government official said they were ready to review a takeover. I could have just imagined it. Lol!

Bird.... didn't you post that?

Posted via CB10
    Check this article out

Ottawa to let BlackBerry 'play out in the marketplace' and will look into any national security concerns | MobileSyrup.com
    10-10-13 02:31 PM
    Just do it, save the brand!!!
    10-10-13 02:31 PM
    The one thing he has surely been taught by the last few years is humility. And that will make all the difference.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:32 PM
    I could have sworn I read a post earlier today about how some government official said they were ready to review a takeover. I could have just imagined it. Lol!

Bird.... didn't you post that?

Posted via CB10
    They said they would review any sale which could compromise security to a party outside of Canada, I believe is what was said.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-10-13 02:33 PM
    So what happened to him working with Fairfax?

I think Lazaridis would try very hard to keep BlackBerry... BlackBerry. Much more so than anyone else. So thats good for us.
    10-10-13 02:37 PM
    Yeah, sounds like a different version of what I read. I guess what I was hoping for just outweighed what it actually said.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:38 PM
    The one thing he has surely been taught by the last few years is humility. And that will make all the difference.

Posted via CB10
    But did he learn what was taught?

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    m1a1mg and kbz1960 like this.
    10-10-13 02:40 PM
    Yeah, sounds like a different version of what I read. I guess what I was hoping for just outweighed what it actually said.

Posted via CB10
    A few weeks ago, the government said they wouldn't step in at all, and now that things are looking a bit more serious, they will oversee any potential deal that could compromise security. Especially when you get a company like Samsung or someone overseas buying into BB, and boom, you have access to very sensitive documents and clientele
    10-10-13 02:42 PM
    I imagine with Mike back at the helm, Enterprise will remain the priority. Hard to say what that means for the consumer.
    What it means for the consumer is the same thing it's meant for a couple of years now. BlackBerry said they are focusing on enterprise when Heins came in. Well then they made a half hearted attempt to sell BlackBerry 10 to consumers.

Make no mistake now though. They are just focused on preserving the corporate user base, BES, etc.

If you are Joe Blow consumer and buy a BlackBerry thinking some popular new entertainment app or social sharing app is coming any day now, you are sadly mistaken.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    JeepBB and guitarrista like this.
    10-10-13 02:43 PM
    But did he learn what was taught?

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    I have to agree with you on that one (OMG, I actually agreed with you on something lol) If any deal was to go down, and Lazardis does take ownership, ignorance is bliss once, but ignorance is not bliss a second time around....
    Gazza12 and trsbbs like this.
    Read the 13D

They each own around 40 million shares or 8%

Together, with a few trusts they own ( for the kids probably) they own 20%

The 8% has been widely reported but is incorrect.

This is a big deal!
    A few weeks ago, the government said they wouldn't step in at all, and now that things are looking a bit more serious, they will oversee any potential deal that could compromise security. Especially when you get a company like Samsung or someone overseas buying into BB, and boom, you have access to very sensitive documents and clientele
    With all of my country's NSA scandals, think American companies could be seen as a threat?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:44 PM
    Hmmm..........Interesting.

sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    10-10-13 02:46 PM
    As with the Fairfax bid.... again.... where is the financing going to come from? Until that's all in order, this is at best, a long shot. Hell, there's not even a bid on the table.
    10-10-13 02:49 PM
    With all of my country's NSA scandals, think American companies could be seen as a threat?

Posted via CB10
    I honestly don't know, but that could be a question too, but there are a lot of US government agencies that also use BB, so a sale within North America might be best, but that's not for me to say
    10-10-13 02:49 PM
    It was his narrow vision ran it into the ground. He will never get the financial backing to do this.

Twitter: xandermac
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-10-13 02:51 PM
    Better than Break up the company, sell the pattern , and massive layout off in Canada. Let others company buy the pattern in a cheap price, and hire the smart talents. Look at Nortel, it happens once just awhile ago, it is a totally sickness for the company, but the outcome is same...

Even joint ventures with fairfax... if there is profit and passion to save the company.....
    10-10-13 02:57 PM
    Read the 13D

They each own around 40 million shares or 8%

Together, with a few trusts they own ( for the kids probably) they own 20%

The 8% has been widely reported but is incorrect.

This is a big deal!
    You need to reread it. The numbers are not all independent shares. The 8.0% under Lazaridis includes everything listed below it if you look at the footnote.

EDIT: here's a link to the 13D

http://www.otcmarkets.com/edgar/GetF...lingID=9549075
    10-10-13 02:59 PM
    There's no question he is a genius and a visionary.. he saw mobile email before it was a thing, and built one hell of a company.. there's also no question that he rested on his own laurels thinking the consumers wants and needs would never change.. One would hope that he's got got that message... and that from the outside looking in he can see what needs to be done.

It could easily turn into a Steve Jobs style story where he was forced out, comes back with new wind in his sale and takes the company to even greater heights then before.. in my opinion that definitly includes reclaiming the consumer market.. afterall RIM's hayday was when they were selling a multicoloured curve to every teenager in the western hemisphere.. but it could also turn out completely the other way, where he's still stuck on the enterprise only vision, in which case I still think he's the man to do it, but Blackberry will regress to a much smaller niche company..
    Actually Nikola Tesla saw mobile email. Mike was just the genius who bought it to fruition.

Posted via CB10
    FSeverino likes this.
    10-10-13 03:00 PM
    I've been thinking this might happen for a while now.. and some will call me crazy, but I think it could be a good thing.
    I wonder... the world has turned into a consumer market where byod is becoming a more popular expectation for phone owners. It can be argued that governments, police, banks etc will want to use a secure OS like BB10, but the reality is that there is a vast market of "money-on-the-table" on the consumber side and those consumers are also ensconced in the enterprise orgs that are managing MDM. So, will Mike actually have his eyes open to the challenges the larger consumer market has on enterprise and poses to a BlackBerry attempt at being a niche player for enterprises.
    10-10-13 03:20 PM
    You need to reread it. The numbers are not all independent shares. The 8.0% under Lazaridis includes everything listed below it if you look at the footnote.

EDIT: here's a link to the 13D

I did not catch that. Thanks.

It's still a big deal.

BLACKBERRY Ltd (Form: SC 13D, Received: 10/10/2013 13:58:20)
    10-10-13 03:23 PM
    Late last year Mike Laziridis owned 5%. So he must have acquired another 3% since December.

As suggested earlier that 13D indicates Doug Fregins shares are part of the same voting block declared by Mike Laziridis.
    10-10-13 03:35 PM
    If this happens Lazaridis will need as much or more financing than Fairfax. So he puts together some kind of bid and returns to BBRY in some kind of leadership position, maybe even CEO.

But it changes nothing. The company is still losing money and customers at an alarming rate. Any turnaround plan will likely involve exiting the handset business as that is what's losing the most money. Unless he can convince investors to play the long game on BB10 and lose billions as he grows it into a legitimate competitive OS.

Maybe he's sentimental and just wants to be there when they turn off the lights.
    10-10-13 03:48 PM
    If they break up the company, I really don't what I would do. I don't understand why Mike L and Prem Watsa do combine their bids to give BB some more capital to work with and better chance at surviving as they are now(creating hardware).
    10-10-13 03:49 PM
    CPP IB has no ruled out investing
    10-10-13 03:53 PM
145 1234 ...