10-26-13 12:39 AM
145 123 ...
tools
    The Canadian Press reports BlackBerry co-founder Mike Lazaridis is looking at making a potential takeover bid for the smartphone maker together with Douglas Fregin, who helped launch the company, according to documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/black...-bid-1.1492391
    10-10-13 01:39 PM
    10-10-13 01:42 PM
    Interesting news and I would see this as better than some of the other potential offers which would split up the company...

Posted via CB10
    Gunner24 likes this.
    10-10-13 01:42 PM
    Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

TORONTO - BlackBerry co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Douglas Fregin are looking at making a potential takeover bid for the troubled smartphone maker (TSX:BB).

According to documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the two are "interested in pursuing a joint bid" with "the goal of stabilizing and ultimately reinventing the company."

BlackBerry has struggled this year as sales of its latest smartphones failed to catch fire.

The company launched a strategic review to explore its options including the possible sale or break up of its operations.

Fairfax Financial (TSX:FFH), BlackBerry's largest shareholder, has made a conditional takeover bid worth $9 per share, which values the company at $4.7 billion.

Together Lazaridis and Fregin own roughly an eight per cent stake in BlackBerry.
    I guess this would suggest Mike is not aligned with Prem Watsa as previously speculated on the takeover bid.
    10-10-13 01:44 PM
    Anyone thinking BB is going to slip quietly into the deeps is mistaken. I can't see the future, but whatever ends up happening is going to be some crazy show.
    10-10-13 01:45 PM
    I've been thinking this might happen for a while now.. and some will call me crazy, but I think it could be a good thing.
    10-10-13 01:46 PM
    I've been thinking this might happen for a while now.. and some will call me crazy, but I think it could be a good thing.
    I agree, the man that helped start RIM could be the owner and maybe this time, his eyes are opened up a little bit better
    10-10-13 01:48 PM
    This is HUGE news. We'll have to see how this plays out.

I find it somewhat odd as Mike and Prem know each other well so I doubt they would be competing against each other. Either they had a falling out, Prem's bid is failing, or they are trying to drumb up a bidding war with third parties.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    10-10-13 01:50 PM
    Yeah this is what I thought I just heard on CNBC. Interesting.
    10-10-13 01:51 PM
    I wonder what their bid will look like. Interesting for sure.
    10-10-13 01:53 PM
    I agree, the man that helped start RIM could be the owner and maybe this time, his eyes are opened up a little bit better
    There's no question he is a genius and a visionary.. he saw mobile email before it was a thing, and built one hell of a company.. there's also no question that he rested on his own laurels thinking the consumers wants and needs would never change.. One would hope that he's got got that message... and that from the outside looking in he can see what needs to be done.

It could easily turn into a Steve Jobs style story where he was forced out, comes back with new wind in his sale and takes the company to even greater heights then before.. in my opinion that definitly includes reclaiming the consumer market.. afterall RIM's hayday was when they were selling a multicoloured curve to every teenager in the western hemisphere.. but it could also turn out completely the other way, where he's still stuck on the enterprise only vision, in which case I still think he's the man to do it, but Blackberry will regress to a much smaller niche company..
    10-10-13 01:57 PM
    Together Lazaridis and Fregin own roughly an eight per cent stake in BlackBerry
    Actually, I thought they owned 8% each, so a total of 16%. They are definitely a force to be reckoned with.
    10-10-13 01:59 PM
    I imagine with Mike back at the helm, Enterprise will remain the priority. Hard to say what that means for the consumer.
    10-10-13 01:59 PM
    There's no question he is a genius and a visionary.. he saw mobile email before it was a thing, and built one hell of a company.. there's also no question that he rested on his own laurels thinking the consumers wants and needs would never change.. One would hope that he's got got that message... and that from the outside looking in he can see what needs to be done.

It could easily turn into a Steve Jobs style story where he was forced out, comes back with new wind in his sale and takes the company to even greater heights then before.. in my opinion that definitly includes reclaiming the consumer market.. afterall RIM's hayday was when they were selling a multicoloured curve to every teenager in the western hemisphere.. but it could also turn out completely the other way, where he's still stuck on the enterprise only vision, in which case I still think he's the man to do it, but Blackberry will regress to a much smaller niche company..
    +1

I would love this guy to come back!
    He's been out there now, in the world amongst consumers, he may have come to understand what's the "it" factor now.

I want him takeover, *prays*

Posted Via CB10 On The Brother Of Future Z30
    10-10-13 02:00 PM
    They each own 8%
    A few other trusts are also included for an additional 4%

They own 20%

This is a big deal!
    10-10-13 02:08 PM
    OK, question from someone that's never stepped foot in Canada. It sounds to me like from what u read here that Canada has a pretty nice handhold on business in that they want to keep Canadian business Canadian, a nationalistic policy on business perhaps? In don't know if I'm describing it right. I come from the US where we like to tax and fine our businesses until they're forced to leave the country.

Anyway, my question, if there is now interest from Prem and Mike that sound like they want to keep BlackBerry going, what are the chances that Canada would step in and stop a Microsoft, Google, or Samsung purchase that would simply gut the company?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:11 PM
    Actually, I thought they owned 8% each, so a total of 16%. They are definitely a force to be reckoned with.
    8% total from the reports i have read, not each.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/10/bla...-submit-offer/

The filing also says they entered into an agreement “to explore the possibility of submitting a potential joint bid” to acquire the rest of BlackBerry’s shares. Together, they currently own approximately 8 percent of the company.
    If they are serious they are going to need even more backing than Prem. We will have to see!
    10-10-13 02:14 PM
    OK, question from someone that's never stepped foot in Canada. It sounds to me like from what u read here that Canada has a pretty nice handhold on business in that they want to keep Canadian business Canadian, a nationalistic policy on business perhaps? In don't know if I'm describing it right. I come from the US where we like to tax and fine our businesses until they're forced to leave the country.

Anyway, my question, if there is now interest from Prem and Mike that sound like they want to keep BlackBerry going, what are the chances that Canada would step in and stop a Microsoft, Google, or Samsung purchase that would simply gut the company?

Posted via CB10
    The Canadian government at this time has said they won't help out or interfere with any business BB ends up doing as far as trying to maintain being a Canadian company
    10-10-13 02:18 PM
    One could only hope that would be the case
    10-10-13 02:22 PM
    10-10-13 02:26 PM
    I imagine with Mike back at the helm, Enterprise will remain the priority. Hard to say what that means for the consumer.
    Absolutely. The landscape has changed drastically since he was leading Research in Motion.
    10-10-13 02:27 PM
    The Canadian government at this time has said they won't help out or interfere with any business BB ends up doing as far as trying to maintain being a Canadian company
    I could have sworn I read a post earlier today about how some government official said they were ready to review a takeover. I could have just imagined it. Lol!

Bird.... didn't you post that?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:28 PM
    LOL way to troll my thread Kevin.... I started this thread before Chris had posted up the article, and I sent you guys the tip about it as well

And the best way to look at it is that you have the main site, I have the forums hehehe
    10-10-13 02:28 PM
    Absolutely. The landscape has changed drastically since he was leading Research in Motion.
    Hopefully he is not as nuts as he was near the end before
    10-10-13 02:29 PM
    Hope it's better than the article I read this morning about breaking it up. That one depressed me. Taking your word for it Kevin! Hi ho hi ho, off to read I go.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:30 PM
145 123 ...