12-10-13 01:31 AM
58 123
tools
    Second largest island on earth??????...may need to check your facts there guy...it's the 16th largest island in the world.
    12-06-13 11:38 AM
    Nfld's land mass is pretty huge as well, takes 12 hours to drive straight across it...being the 2nd largest Island n earth and all.
    Second largest island on earth??????...may need to check your facts there guy...it's the 16th largest island in the world.
    12-06-13 11:38 AM
    They have committed to the handset business, unfortunately that is the single part of their business that is hurting the most.
    Their handset business is hurting. I think that for their commitment to handsets to work, they have to completely dump their current handset business.

It's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that they're done with consumers. Chen says end-to-end enterprise solutions which seems pretty telling.

They need to try something completely new with handsets. Something that is of a benefit to corporate customers. Maybe something crazy like a data-only "phone" utilizing the NOC infrastructure or BES to allow VOIP calls with some crazy data compression or something. Ultra secure end-to-end control.
    JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-06-13 11:45 AM
    Their handset business is hurting. I think that for their commitment to handsets to work, they have to completely dump their current handset business.

It's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that they're done with consumers. Chen says end-to-end enterprise solutions which seems pretty telling.

They need to try something completely new with handsets. Something that is of a benefit to corporate customers. Maybe something crazy like a data-only "phone" utilizing the NOC infrastructure or BES to allow VOIP calls with some crazy data compression or something. Ultra secure end-to-end control.
    They may be too late with that. Samsung and CISCO are coming out with a special NSA hardened Galaxy S4 with all CISCO features built in.
    12-06-13 11:54 AM
    I can only assume Ontario based on the numbers given
    12-06-13 12:09 PM
    Pilot has turned into launch

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    12-06-13 12:13 PM
    It's assumed that it's Ontario.. Why wouldn't they want to support Waterloo?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 12:15 PM
    Good stuff. Do you know which province?
    Well it ain't PEI.
    potatoguy likes this.
    12-06-13 12:16 PM

I think they are trying to deemphasise consumer handset sales so that Wall St. will not continually harp on them that they don't have 10% of the market. They will continue to sell to those who want them and will call them Prosumers.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    12-06-13 12:19 PM
    Hmm .. .I think we have a 33.333% chance of getting it. There are really only 3 "large Canadian provinces". So, I assume it has to be BC, Ontario or Quebec. Sorry Alberta ... you aren't in the big leagues yet. haha ... j/k
    Yeah, I guess we'll just have to keep the rest of the country churning along economically... you know, like we always have.
    CecilTsunami likes this.
    12-06-13 02:12 PM
    I heard something mentioned about going to BB10 during BC's election a few months ago.
    12-06-13 02:45 PM
    The bottom line is that organizations, government and corporate, are now beginning to move forward with BB10; the momentum is picking up. BlackBerry is not getting out of the handset business and is not going out of business...period.

bungaboy likes this.
    12-06-13 04:12 PM
    The BC government has been using BB10 devices for about 9 months now. The uptake was very slow because everyone except senior management must get a $0 phone. I believe the first 6 month of z10 release, the phone was $100-$150 with a three year contract. Now that the phone is free, I've seen more z10 coming in but people still prefer to buy the other $0 phone which is an IPhone 4s. They prefer the IPhone because most of their colleagues have them and they can facetime. Also perception of Blackberry going under. And ignorance of BB10 capabilities.
    12-06-13 04:43 PM
    Good news if true and makes it to the news wires. It would be really good news if this were to be 15000 new BlackBerry and not "just" an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 05:09 PM
    ...They prefer the IPhone because most of their colleagues have them and they can facetime. ...
    So hold on a second....we have government employees needing iPhones so that they can facetime with each other? That's something new. I find that odd that they need to but hey....all sorts of issues nowadays with the senate scandal, failed gas plants in Ontario and who can forget about the Toronto mayor and the crack cocaine.

I wonder if they facetime during council meetings.
    12-06-13 06:04 PM
    The bottom line is that organizations, government and corporate, are now beginning to move forward with BB10; the momentum is picking up. BlackBerry is not getting out of the handset business and is not going out of business...period.

I think maybe the momentum is in the wrong direction if 15000 handsets is such good news. I'm sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-07-13 04:50 AM
    Government of Ontario is about 60k employees . Not sure if they are all issued phones. One thing I do know is that in a client meeting back in October, one of them was using a Z10 for corporate use. Not sure if it was pilot at that point as I didn't ask. They definitely are using BB10 on BES10.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-07-13 10:33 AM
    Hmm .. .I think we have a 33.333% chance of getting it. There are really only 3 "large Canadian provinces". So, I assume it has to be BC, Ontario or Quebec. Sorry Alberta ... you aren't in the big leagues yet. haha ... j/k
    And Manitoba isnt even close
    12-07-13 11:26 AM
    It comes off pilot in Ontario and it's these big gov/orgs that are keeping the OS7 sales alive. Until these pilots are over, individuals are still forced to purchase 9900s.
    12-07-13 11:33 AM
    I think they are trying to deemphasise consumer handset sales so that Wall St. will not continually harp on them that they don't have 10% of the market. They will continue to sell to those who want them and will call them Prosumers.
    Agree. I think the devices will not change per say, but the demographic they are concerned about will. This is a step to change perception. It would be difficult to criticize the consumer business if they don't claim to compete in it.

CB10'n it via da Z
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-07-13 11:38 AM

That is a great idea.
    12-07-13 11:53 AM
    Well it ain't PEI.
    It's small potato by comparison
    anon3969612 and scrapmetal58 like this.
    12-07-13 03:38 PM
    I can only assume Ontario based on the numbers given
    Actually, I have heard it might be Nova Scotia. (kinda, sorta) New Government and all. You know how they like to spend.
    anon3969612 likes this.
    12-07-13 04:28 PM
    Yeah, I guess we'll just have to keep the rest of the country churning along economically... you know, like we always have.
    Like in the Dust Bowl of the dirty thirties?
    12-07-13 04:40 PM
    It'll likely be a central Canadian province like Ontario or Quebec. The province or provinces closest to the government usually reap the most benefit from same and in this case also likely influenced by DOD practices.

BC is more likely to be influenced by the hipster movement. Ergo Iphones..lol
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-07-13 at 06:52 PM.
    12-07-13 06:11 PM
58 123