12-16-13 06:47 PM
149 12345 ...
tools
    It's not about how superior the OS is or how many bells and whistles it has, it's about how functional it is for the average consumer.

Apple and Google have figured this out and developed an ego system that has become the "standard" to which any new and/or legacy devices will be judged against.

Microsoft has finally figured it out and have bought Nokia to up their game against the competition. Unfortunately for Blackberry, MS has bigger and deeper pockets.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    I agree that this is true, for the average user, but but having options is great.

I had my iPhone 4 from launch and it was getting stale, I tried some android devices and didn't really like them. I probably would have chose android over the legacy phones, but the Z10/30 were the deal breakers for me. An amazing OS and UI with full touch screen (and a pretty sweet keyboard) were exactly what I was looking for.

There should always be options, and if BlackBerry dies because of all the pressure and negativity placed on them by the media (some of it being legit) the mobile market will be very boring.

Posted via CB10
    bennelong likes this.
    12-06-13 10:18 AM
    If BlackBerry is no cooler than a carphone, I would rather have a carphone if I can't get a BlackBerry.
    12-06-13 11:25 AM
    If BlackBerry is no cooler than a carphone, I would rather have a carphone if I can't get a BlackBerry.
    We were having this conversation in my EE class just yesterday... and talking about ways of wiring an old bagphone up to the newer standards, just to be hipster...

And honestly, I just hope Barry is rocking BB10 on his 'Berry...
    12-06-13 11:28 AM
    It will be major concern if POTUS chooses cool over security. Obviously the paper is running out of topic to talk about or too lazy to research what the legislators are doing or not doing in the capital hill.
    moody likes this.
    12-06-13 01:02 PM
    I was just getting ready to start this exact same thread but I figured I better check the forums first. However, I read the article in the Chicago Tribune. The Chicago Tribune owns the LA Times so it is no surprise. I started a thread back in October about a column in the Chicago Tribune wherein the columnist writes about herself being "wistful, but not wanting" and goes on to write about Blackberry as if BB10 never came about.

Regardless, these are two huge markets and the average person who just scans these articles comes away thinking nothing more than if I want security I have to get some ancient technology. Seriously, I doubt anyone ever said, "Whoa! You have a Blackberry? Cool!" Although recently I showed someone my slick as hell Z10 and they said, "Whoa! You STILL have a Blackberry?"
    12-06-13 01:30 PM
    You said it yourself.. it's all about perception so is the LA Times wrong? Is BlackBerry cool? While you might not agree with the LA Times piece, nothing they really said is inaccurate. Maybe if the perception was different, the LA Times piece would be different but right now it's a pretty accurate representation. Love it or hate it.
    That's a bitter pill to swallow, but you're absolutely right. The perception of BlackBerry, particularly in the US, is absolutely horrible. No one wants to be associated with the brand except for a small (and old) cult following...
    12-06-13 01:42 PM
    Was BlackBerry ever cool? Who says cool anymore anyways. I'm pretty sure smart phones aren't cool anymore. People that want to have a cool stylish phone get accessories. BlackBerry gets **** done. Saying something isn't cool in the news is a great way to make something cool by acting uncool fool. The stupid smart watch will be the next cool thing, even if it is crap. Phones are old.
    I wish the president was cool, ya that would get people to respect him more, it would have nothing to do with his intelligence or presence or status it would be the iPhone that would realy define him.

Ladeda

Posted via CB10
    Really? There is absolutely a time when BlackBerry was "cool". It was beyond cool, it was "exclusive"! I remember being a fairly young manager & having a real sense of accomplishment when I got my very first company issues BlackBerry! I felt cool...important...and successful! That was (obviously) before iPhone came onto the scene.

Smartphones are still cool and highly desired by teens and kids. How do I know? Because my kids LOVE them, as well as all of my teenage cousins and nieces. They get almost as excited as I do about these gadgets, and I'm a gadget nut! Heck...one of my cousins was knocked to the ground and had her iPhone STOLEN the day before Thanksgiving! Now that's cool!!

Earlier this year, I dropped my BlackBerry outside of my friends home. His 18 year old son found it the next day and I got it back. If that was an iPhone, I'm sure it wouldn't have still been there the next day. And I'm equally sure my friends son wouldn't have turned it in. IJS...
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-06-13 01:51 PM
    The Times said it like it is. BlackBerry is not cool whatsoever. The fact that people on a BlackBerry forum like it does not make it cool to the masses. Popularity is what proves that something is cool in society.

I just don't get why not having a "cool" phone is a bad thing.
    And exactly "who" is this "society" you are referring too?

I live in an area where lift kits are "cool" but 40 miles down the road "low riders" are cool.

So find another reason to be hating on BlackBerry.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-06-13 01:52 PM
    We were having this conversation in my EE class just yesterday... and talking about ways of wiring an old bagphone up to the newer standards, just to be hipster...

And honestly, I just hope Barry is rocking BB10 on his 'Berry...
    I had a bag phone
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-06-13 01:57 PM
    As far as I know most Americans ignore whatever goes on in California unless it's from Hollywood

Nope.

Sent from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
    12-06-13 02:01 PM
    Nope.

Sent from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
    Lol, all I need to do is look at the sig to confirm what I said
    12-06-13 02:12 PM
    I had a bag phone
    Me too. Back when I was a road warrior and that was as good as it got. I could hit the cell tower 40 miles away on a good day with my 4 watt Motorola. Ah, those were the days.
    moody likes this.
    12-06-13 02:57 PM

Did you forget Silicon Valley? And California by itself is >10% of the US population.
    You were responding to one or more imbeciles. As you probably know, California is the most important agricultural state (by far) in the U.S. Were California's agricultural exports to the rest of the U.S. to end, the effect on the rest of the U.S. would be severe.

I could go on and on regarding California's major non-Hollywood impacts (good and bad) on the rest of the U.S. and the world but the clown(s) to whom you responded is/are too dense to "get it."
    12-06-13 03:54 PM
    The Chicago Tribune owns the LA Times so it is no surprise.
    The LA Times was in serious decline b4 the Tribune came on the scene, but the Tribune's mismanagement of the LA Times has exacerbated the problems.
    The nature of my business dictates that I subscribe to the Times. But it annoys me considerably that I pay more than double what I used to pay for a subscription to a newspaper that has had important sections reduced in both quality and quantity--the quality deterioration due, in large part, to management's firing, buying out, or otherwise chasing off much of the Times' top talent.
    12-06-13 04:28 PM
    You were responding to one or more imbeciles. As you probably know, California is the most important agricultural state (by far) in the U.S. Were California's agricultural exports to the rest of the U.S. to end, the effect on the rest of the U.S. would be severe.

I could go on and on regarding California's major non-Hollywood impacts (good and bad) on the rest of the U.S. and the world but the clown(s) to whom you responded is/are too dense to "get it."
    Blah blah blah so sounds the voice of entitlement
    12-06-13 04:43 PM
    California is home to silicon valley folks. Argument over. Were it not for the innovations of CA the OS's we use wouldn't exist, and therefore mobile nations wouldn't exist, therefore you wouldn't have Android or access to their apps. Wouldn't have Windows, Mac...

We also wouldn't have sriracha or tapatio a very good amount of dairy products, the best citrus on the planet, or even an organic food movement.

whoever said nobody pays attention to ca is a silly individual.

It would be accurate to say the world pays even less attention to Canada, including BlackBerry, and that would still be true. Next time try to argue the points made in an article you don't like instead of being a toddler and slapping your thighs in disgust.
    Last edited by katiepea; 12-06-13 at 05:19 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-06-13 05:06 PM
    Were it not for the innovations of CA the OS's we use wouldn't exist, and therefore mobile nations wouldn't exist... [bla bla bla apocalypse scenario]

Guess what: Californians are not the only people in the world that invent technology things.

This is like trying to assert that if Microsoft didn't exist, no one would have ever invented, marketed or purchased a personal computer, or if Apple didn't exist, no one would have ever invented, marketed or purchased a digital mobile music player.

In other words: nonsense.
    12-06-13 05:25 PM
    Hmmm, seems we've gotten people very defensive...for anybody that cares, and I don't think many will, do a goggle on what the rest of the USA thinks of California. I believe my original statement will be upheld from several credible sources. I know, I did the search to see if I needed to apologize for running my mouth. I don't.
    12-06-13 05:25 PM
    It will be major concern if POTUS chooses cool over security. Obviously the paper is running out of topic to talk about or too lazy to research what the legislators are doing or not doing in the capital hill.

What's particularly stupid is in the absence of any other news on BlackBerry that I can think of, the stock has sunk significantly since this news came out.

This is the annoying thing about this company: investors seem to not only be immune to "good news", they seem to torch the stock when good news about the company comes out.

Unbelievable.
    12-06-13 05:34 PM
    What's particularly stupid is in the absence of any other news on BlackBerry that I can think of, the stock has sunk significantly since this news came out.

This is the annoying thing about this company: investors seem to not only be immune to "good news", they seem to torch the stock when good news about the company comes out.

Unbelievable.
    That's because investors are looking ahead to the next quarterly report. Each quarterly report has been getting worse and worse. BlackBerry has run out of ways to sugarcoat the bad news. If BlackBerry shows some stabilization then I think you will see the stock come back.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-06-13 06:08 PM
    That's because investors are looking ahead to the next quarterly report. Each quarterly report has been getting worse and worse. BlackBerry has run out of ways to sugarcoat the bad news. If BlackBerry shows some stabilization then I think you will see the stock come back.

Good point.
    12-06-13 07:01 PM
    the best citrus on the planet,
    Oh no you didn't. Florida dagnabbit.
    bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    12-06-13 07:08 PM
    Oh no you didn't. Florida dagnabbit.
    Not unless you guys figure out how to stop that citrus greening disease...
    12-06-13 07:34 PM
    I had a bag phone
    But you look so young in your avatar.
    moody and JeepBB like this.
    12-06-13 07:37 PM
    Smart phones can be looked upon by some as neccessity. With that said, people are going to choose their preference based on what they believe they need. Some need apps, some like the idea of rooting their phones for better performance. But if you want style and efficiency like me, you choose a blackberry. I'm not saying a smart phone is a necessity for me, but I do rely on them to get me through my day. I don't care whether it's cool or not, I want what's comfortable. And for me, a physical keyboard suits me just fine.
    12-06-13 07:51 PM
149 12345 ...