07-06-15 09:39 AM
60 123
tools
    So now what they're doing is taking another approach at it from a different angle. I hope the keep BB 10 safe in this new phone separate from android not leaving any back door for BB10 to be hacked. They'll have a field day with it.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think their only option is to sell separate devices if they want to keep BB10 around at all. If BlackBerry is going to join the OHA and get full access to Google Play Services, I don't think they can offer a device that can dual boot Android and BB10 (which would have to be stripped of the Android runtime) and I think if they keep offering stand alone BB10 devices along side their Android devices, they might still have to strip the Android runtime out of BB10.

Pretty sure Google has shut down other manufacturers in the past for trying to offer a dual booting Android device. Could Google and BlackBerry come to an agreement that allows a BB10/Android dual booting device? Possibly. Maybe, with the provision that the BB10-side is work only (possibly BES only?) and that all previous BB10 devices be stripped of their Android runtime.

All I know is, in any potential relationship between Google and BlackBerry revolving around an Android device, BlackBerry would need Google way more than Google would need BlackBerry, putting Google in the power position, which means any concessions and agreements would likely favor Google heavily.
    07-05-15 07:08 PM
    I would drop my s6 edge for a bbry Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-05-15 07:09 PM
    Just so we're clear, because many other people have shared a similar opinion... What you're saying is, that the BlackBerry Slider hardware is inherently inferior. Build quality is inferior. Design is inferior. The only thing BlackBerry has going for it is software (BB10) and by going Android, they would automatically be inferior to other Android OEMs.

Because I would argue that a BlackBerry running Android would likely be quite different than other devices running Android, because it is a BlackBerry. It would have the worlds best PKB. Great looks. Hopefully good build quality and materials (if the Passport and Classic are any indication) probably a much bigger battery than other similarly sized devices, expandable memory (which is becoming harder and harder to come by among Android OEMs) and on the software side, if BlackBerry skins Android to offer Hub-like functionality, and installs their own BB email client that offers the same email functionality as BB10 devices, these are things other Android OEMs don't have.
    OK and what if this BlackBerry running android gets rooted?? There goes BlackBerry's reputation. They are treading in the wrong direction.
    07-05-15 07:19 PM
    Then why are you here? To irritate people? Why don't you go to the forums for whatever device you "like". I hate android. Do you see me in the android forums? No way, I have better things to do with my time.
    Yah no kidding. Beat it.

Lovingly created by my Z30
    lift likes this.
    07-05-15 07:21 PM
    Soooo

How will this work? Will we have dual OS? Will the Android OS be sandboxed or will the BlackBerry? Or something completely different??

Lovingly created by my Z30
    07-05-15 07:22 PM
    OK and what if this BlackBerry running android gets rooted?? There goes BlackBerry's reputation. They are treading in the wrong direction.
    They will have to communicate this upfront and be very vocal about it*,
    and mention BB10 as the differentiator...
    :-)

Can't secure Android to that extent. All the pollies, MPs and heads of state using Android or iPhone **should** know before bashing BlackBerry.

(* Silent Circle Blackphone mentions it on their website, they want to give you the option to customize and have full control, or maybe, it's a cop-out because Android really CANNOT be secured, i.e. made un-rootable, IDK)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    07-05-15 11:46 PM
    They will have to communicate this upfront and be very vocal about it*,
    and mention BB10 as the differentiator...
    :-)

Can't secure Android to that extent. All the pollies, MPs and heads of state using Android or iPhone **should** know before bashing BlackBerry.

(* Silent Circle Blackphone mentions it on their website, they want to give you the option to customize and have full control, or maybe, it's a cop-out because Android really CANNOT be secured, i.e. made un-rootable, IDK)

•   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   •
    This unrootable thing is blown way out of proportion. Laptops and desktops are NOT unrootable and you can access the OS filesystem with a linux liveCD. And still nobody abandoned their laptops and desktop computers because of this.
    mornhavon and asherN like this.
    07-06-15 06:47 AM
    Personally, I don't think Sammy will care if it says AndBerry, BerryDroid, or just BlackBerry. Whether sales are good or bad,Sammy gets something out of the venture. As long as they get what they want in their agreement. Besides, if it flops (which I doubt), it doesn't hurt the other models by calling it Samsung. If it does well, Sammy will have a partner to chip away at Sampson- Apple. Then, we could possibly see more "Sammy"(dollars) commercials pushing Blackberries……meaning more carrier support. Hey, I'm a critic - when I don't have a newBlackBerry and face-palm at some of the decisions made in the last 5 years, but, I think this could work- egos aside. I really don't want to pay for two more Z30s- next year.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-06-15 09:31 AM
    I would drop my s6 edge for a bbry Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    this makes sense.
    07-06-15 09:37 AM
    Personally, I don't think Sammy will care if it says AndBerry, BerryDroid, or just BlackBerry. Whether sales are good or bad,Sammy gets something out of the venture. As long as they get what they want in their agreement. Besides, if it flops (which I doubt), it doesn't hurt the other models by calling it Samsung. If it does well, Sammy will have a partner to chip away at Sampson- Apple. Then, we could possibly see more "Sammy"(dollars) commercials pushing Blackberries……meaning more carrier support. Hey, I'm a critic - when I don't have a newBlackBerry and face-palm at some of the decisions made in the last 5 years, but, I think this could work- egos aside. I really don't want to pay for two more Z30s- next year.
    Sammy will benefit for sure: a challenge to their repertoire and dominance which of course will be like throwing pennies at kevlar and Sammy will be on top even more so than before.
    07-06-15 09:39 AM
60 123