10-08-13 02:47 PM
45 12
tools
    You don't need a data plan on BB10. Run it straight off of WiFi if you want.

In the Middle East though, a lot of carriers make you get a BIS plan even for BB10. I don't know what the local WiFi-only policy is.
    That's not true, not in Saudi Arabia and Egypt at least. I use normal wi-fi or a data plan.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 05:48 PM
    After the disappointment of BB10 on PlayBook, it's surprising this MD said the following about it. It's too bad we don't know the full context of the comment but as a PlayBook user it piques my interest nonetheless. Maybe BlackBerry is still working on Bridge? At this point anything on a PlayBook should be tempered as a bonus and nothing more.

"With regards to the BlackBerry PlayBook — the company’s only tablet device which got a software update recently — he said that there is something in the works, although he declined to elaborate"
    10-07-13 05:54 PM
    That's not true, not in Saudi Arabia and Egypt at least. I use normal wi-fi or a data plan.
    Any data plan or a BIS plan? Because there have been a few threads about this here. And can you use BBM without ever having had a BIS plan (i.e. say brand new out of box?)
    10-07-13 05:56 PM
    Any data plan or a BIS plan? Because there have been a few threads about this here. And can you use BBM without ever having had a BIS plan (i.e. say brand new out of box?)
    Normal data plan not a BIS plan and yes I just took my Z10 out of the box and used BBM over wi-fi without any data plans.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 06:00 PM
    Wow so apparently apple is more popular than bb in the UAE, did not know that.
    10-07-13 07:23 PM
    Wow so apparently apple is more popular than bb in the UAE, did not know that.
    Huh? The article shows BlackBerry outselling Apple and it shows BB OS with a bigger overall installed base than iOS.
    10-07-13 07:31 PM
    Even if 100% of the quarterly sales were in that region, things are still not "doing great"
    His wording is carefully chosen spin. Bb has always been Strong in the UAE though if memory serves there has been some recent signs of deterioration even there. Even if they were holding - the problem is, it wouldn't matter. What difference does it make when overall sales are down, your losing another 40% workforce and/or you get sold? It isn't a localized business where one region can carry on by itself.

Hopefully those local to that market will see through his spin and make their decisions accordingly - just like here. Nothing wrong with buying bb, just do it with a clear head and understand the risks!
    10-07-13 07:33 PM
    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/busi...wer-sales.html

This is what I was thinking of. This is a more fleshed out story with multiple viewpoints. I think the drop to Samsung makes sense considering the growth of marketshare for Samsung would suggest they are likely outselling bb significantly.

In a broader sense, even if pretend bb can just go on with phones in all these developing regions as is, bb7 cannot hold out forever, cheap android and perhaps win phone choices will start eating in...they've been coasting on the same things they used to hold out with here - bbm and bis.
    10-07-13 07:57 PM
    Huh? The article shows BlackBerry outselling Apple

No it doesn't.

"Where favoured Smartphone models are concerned, the most popular handset is Samsung SIII representing 2.6 per cent of all registered smartphones, followed by the iPhone 4S with 2.5 per cent, the iPhone 4 with 2 per cent ahead of iPhone 5 and BlackBerry Bold 9900 both with 1.9 per cent."

and it shows BB OS with a bigger overall installed base than iOS.
    It also shows that Symbian (an obsolete dead os/ecosystem) with the lions share at 38%, followed by blackberry' legacy/soon to be obsolete (obsolete /ˌbsəˈlēt/Adjective No longer produced or used; out of date) at 23%.

"Analysis on the operating systems (OS) used by Smartphones in the UAE as of June 2013 revealed that, Accentures Symbian remains in the lead (38 per cent) with BlackBerry OS coming in second (23 per cent) followed by Android (21 per cent) and Apple- iOS (16 per cent)."

I wonder how bb10 is doing in the Middle East, any concrete numbers? Anywhere?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-07-13 08:13 PM
    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/busi...wer-sales.html

This is what I was thinking of. This is a more fleshed out story with multiple viewpoints. I think the drop to Samsung makes sense considering the growth of marketshare for Samsung would suggest they are likely outselling bb significantly.

In a broader sense, even if pretend bb can just go on with phones in all these developing regions as is, bb7 cannot hold out forever, cheap android and perhaps win phone choices will start eating in...they've been coasting on the same things they used to hold out with here - bbm and bis.
    Thank you for the article Richard.

BlackBerry over the last couple of years has definitely been on the slide downward, losing market share to the iPhone and Samsung, he told Al Arabiya."

And

Within Emax we have seen BlackBerry's share go down from 19 percent to 12.5 percent [of overall smartphone sales], Bhatnagar added, citing UAE figures from the first half of 2012 compared with the first six months of this year."
    richardat likes this.
    10-07-13 08:18 PM
    2 things I got from the interview.

There's something in the works for Playbook. Software update or Playbook 2?

BlackBerry still has plans to release new devices next year.

This true?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 08:36 PM
    Thanks. I was worried about the Middle East. All of our best technology trends start there and move here to the West.
    richardat likes this.
    10-07-13 08:42 PM
    Thanks. I was worried about the Middle East. All of our best technology trends start there and move here to the West.
    Lolwut?

Sent from my Nexus 4 now Free
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-07-13 08:46 PM
    Lol.
    10-07-13 08:51 PM

No it doesn't.
    You're only considering the top 10 models. You have to also count all models not in the top 10. Read further:

In terms of mobile manufactures as of June 2013, Nokia currently enjoys the largest market share with 56.4 per cent. Samsung has the second largest market share of 13.8 per cent followed by BlackBerry with 10.7 per cent and Apple 7.4 per cent.
    10-07-13 08:59 PM
    You're only considering the top 10 models.
    They only provided 10 models.
    Non of which are using BB's current operating system bb 10.

You have to also count all models not in the top 10. Read further:
    No I don't.
    I'm not counting Symbian phones either.
    Obsolete is obsolete.
    10-07-13 09:27 PM
    They only provided 10 models.
    Non of which are using BB's current operating system bb 10.

No I don't.
    I'm not counting Symbian phones either.
    Obsolete is obsolete.
    You seem to be mixing two different points now?

BlackBerry sells more phones in the UAE than Apple does. 10.7% marketshare as compared to 7.4%. Taking just the top 10 phones and then adding only their shares is a bit silly, especially when the total for all models was already there a few lines further down.

Now, your other point I completely agree with. It seems the most popular BB phones are the obsolete ones. That's consistent with the worldwide numbers. So that is a major issue for BlackBerry, not just in the UAE, but everywhere. The fact that the BB7 phones are so much more popular than BB10 means one or both of:

1.) BlackBerry customers are very price sensitive. So much for the "prosumer" angle.
    2.) BlackBerry customers actually just prefer the old devices.
    10-07-13 09:48 PM
    You seem to be mixing two different points now?

BlackBerry sells more phones in the UAE than Apple does. 10.7% marketshare as compared to 7.4%. Taking just the top 10 phones and then adding only their shares is a bit silly, especially when the total for all models was already there a few lines further down.

Now, your other point I completely agree with. It seems the most popular BB phones are the obsolete ones. That's consistent with the worldwide numbers. So that is a major issue for BlackBerry, not just in the UAE, but everywhere. The fact that the BB7 phones are so much more popular than BB10 means one or both of:

1.) BlackBerry customers are very price sensitive. So much for the "prosumer" angle.
    2.) BlackBerry customers actually just prefer the old devices.
    Bear in mind the report is up to the month of May or June depending on the article.

There is another explanation.

Consumers in the Middle East will use a blackberry as a supplemental phone specifically for bbm. Their primary phones are iPhones and androids.

"In September 2010 the penetration rate [for mobile phones in the UAE] was estimated at 230.6%"
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-07-13 10:09 PM
    Yes...BlackBerry is doing fine...

As in the kinda fine when your significant other of ten years cheats on you and you sing to yourself: "Well, it is only you that I'm losing...guess I'm doing fine." (Beck song) lol

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    10-07-13 10:30 PM
    Uh, Ok. (SMH)
    10-08-13 02:47 PM
45 12