02-10-12 02:23 AM
26 12
tools
    Kayak repeals BlackBerry app support - TechShout

Kayak repeals blackberry app support

Issuing an apology to its users, travel metasearch engine Kayak, revealed that it has ceased active support and maintenance for its BlackBerry app. Claiming to have regrettably reached this practical decision, the company cited a declining audience as the main reason for this move.

Kayak says that according to it, the OS is just not working out to be a great channel for consumer mobile applications. This does not sound like good news at all for the BlackBerry OS, which is trying hard to keep up with users demands for an increased number of apps and better developer support.

When we started Kayak in 2004, we issued BlackBerries to the entire engineering team so we could communicate instantly 24/7. Today weve all switched, and it seems our users are doing the same. Our audience of BlackBerry users has been declining precipitously, and we cant justify the cost any longer, read a statement from Kayak.

RIM was a smartphone pioneer and we thank them for what theyve done, and wish them renewed success. BlackBerry was (and is) an amazing messaging platform. But its not working out to be a great channel for consumer mobile applications, which is what leads us to this sad post, continued the notification.

As MobileBurn points out, although the company will be dropping active support for the application, it insists that the website will still be accessible through the BlackBerry browser. Currently, the Kayak app may be downloaded on other gadgets like the iPhone as well as Android, Windows Phone 7 and Nokia smartphones.

The abandonment of BlackBerry app support by Kayak sure seems to be ringing alarm bells for RIM, whose hopes of a proper revival hang on the QNX-based BlackBerry 10.
    02-08-12 05:46 AM
    WTF is kayak?
    02-08-12 05:52 AM
    Old news. Nobody cares. Use Blackberry Travel. The web browser makes Kayak obsolete.
    02-08-12 06:22 AM
    declining audience because blackberry travel is a better app.
    02-08-12 06:24 AM
    WTF is kayak?
    It's a search engine that searches multiple tavel sites. It was founded by the co-founders of Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz.
    02-08-12 07:11 AM
    Who needs the app and who cares....just use the browser to access these travel sites.
    02-08-12 07:26 AM
    There are so many ways to get travel information and tickets and I use BB Travel.

If I'm mobile I can access any site with the playbook.
    02-08-12 07:27 AM
    Kayak has been out since 2004, which I believe predates BBT by about 7 years...lol
    02-08-12 07:31 AM
    Kayak repeals BlackBerry app support - TechShout

although the company will be dropping active support for the application, it insists that the website will still be accessible through the BlackBerry browser.

The abandonment of BlackBerry app support by Kayak sure seems to be ringing alarm bells for RIM, whose hopes of a proper revival hang on the QNX-based BlackBerry 10.
    Another point may be why make an app when the user can just use the Browser? With OS10 coming soon, the BlackBerry phone browsers will be as powerful as the PlayBook, probably complete with Flash.
    02-08-12 07:34 AM
    declining audience because blackberry travel is a better app.

No doubt Kayak would rather RIM did not give away a better travel app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 07:36 AM
    Another point may be why make an app when the user can just use the Browser? With OS10 coming soon, the BlackBerry phone browsers will be as powerful as the PlayBook, probably complete with Flash.
    The point of ANY app is to streamline the process, and make it more user friendly than the actual website, where there are generally going to be multitudes of ads, and other things to support said website.

For some sites, apps are great, but others, i'll find myself just using my web browser. It all depends on how the app is set up as to my preference.
    02-08-12 07:39 AM
    The point of ANY app is to streamline the process, and make it more user friendly than the actual website, where there are generally going to be multitudes of ads, and other things to support said website.

For some sites, apps are great, but others, i'll find myself just using my web browser. It all depends on how the app is set up as to my preference.
    I think this is what mobile versions of web sites are for. For example, m.crackberry.com.
    02-08-12 07:45 AM
    Exactly; and when you use Simple Browser, no ads to sully the experience.
    02-08-12 07:47 AM
    I think this is what mobile versions of web sites are for. For example, m.crackberry.com.
    It all boils down to personal preference. I for one, hate mobile sites. I'll either use the full version, or an app if it's available.
    02-08-12 08:14 AM
    Yeah really who cares.
    02-08-12 08:44 AM
    WTF is kayak?
    I would love to know the answer to your question??
    02-08-12 08:53 AM
    WTF is kayak?
    Bing (I know you guys don't like to use Google)
    02-08-12 09:02 AM
    I sent them a feedback email expressing my disappointment that they are dropping future support of the app. Here's the response:

"Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Our decision to stop active support for Blackberry was a difficult one, but we feel it is the correct one.

Supporting a native application on a platform is quite expensive, and KAYAK is a small company. For quite a while now, our usage metrics on Blackberry platform have been declining, whereas the other mobile platforms have been growing rapidly. We have to invest where the users are going to be in two years, not where they are right this minute.

Personally, it makes me sad to see where Blackberry has ended up; I got my first blackberry in 1999 (one of the little pager ones with a B&W screen), and user them for years. I honestly hope they can pull off a comeback somehow, but I can't bet KAYAK's resources on it.

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill O'Donnell
    KAYAK Chief Architect and GM Mobile"
    02-08-12 12:01 PM
    I'm predicting an unfounded "bias" claim in 3, 2, 1. . .
    02-08-12 12:08 PM
    wait, they are dropping Blackberry and continuing support for Windows Phone? OK...
    02-08-12 12:39 PM
    I'm predicting an unfounded "bias" claim in 3, 2, 1. . .
    ... or a "Kayak hates Canada" rejoinder in half that time...
    02-08-12 12:54 PM
    I thought about this and, honestly, this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

It's no secret that supporting the BlackBerry platform is more expensive and more difficult than Android or iOS. But it's also no secret that in Kayak's market target region (North America), RIM will be replacing BBOS with BB10, an OS that is expected to be much better for consumers and better for app developers.

If Kayak made a PlayBook app and decided to end support for it, then we should be a bit concerned because it would show that developers don't have confidence in the new OS. I'd rather have developers take a "wait and see" approach with BB10 than make an app and end support for it. Those developers can develop for BB10 when they feel more confortable with the platform.

Besides, Kayak said they were ending support for it because of dwindling users. Who's to say that the majority of those users didn't just stop using Kayak in favor of BlackBerry Travel?
    02-09-12 05:09 PM
    Anyone dropping support for BB OS should be a disappointment. Hopefully, others don't abandon this platform. As we approach the launch of BBOS 10, I wonder if other developers will follow suit.
    02-09-12 06:26 PM
    WTF is kayak?
    It's a search engine that searches multiple tavel sites. It was founded by the co-founders of Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz.
    Posted back on the first page.

It all boils down to personal preference. I for one, hate mobile sites. I'll either use the full version, or an app if it's available.
    Me too. I used the Kayak app and I know a lot of people who did too. I've never used BB Travel. That's too bad as I really like Kayak.
    02-09-12 10:02 PM
    Other than having really funny commercials, i could care less about a Kayak app. My company always sets the travel plans for me. The one time out of the year that i will fly out of town on my own dollar sure doesn't require me to download a freaking app for it.

When we do go away for a weekend, we use the RV. Travel apps are not even on my radar. I still love those Kayak commercials tho. Here's my favorite
    02-09-12 10:15 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD