10-05-13 09:01 AM
89 ... 234
tools
    Why do people keep bringing up car examples? Smart cars occupy a niche and require no network effects. Nobody is buying a smart car because of outsider status but because they make sense as a small runaround in an urban environment.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-13 03:23 PM
    People don't *want* outsider status with tech, they want the most connected app-filled experience they can get.
    Yeah tell that to all the Linux desktop geeks. Guess you mean smartphones.
    10-04-13 03:52 PM
    In some cases, sure. Will it be enough? Who knows. Probably not, but if they play this right (even capitalizing on a degree of "outsider" status), there may be an out.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    Oddly I heard Molly Wood suggest just this type of marketing on TWIT this week. Never thought I'd ever here her say anything positive about BB. I was kind of astonished.
    10-04-13 03:55 PM
    Yeah tell that to all the Linux desktop geeks. Guess you mean smartphones.
    Yes, are we really at the Barrack room lawyer stage - where we have to explain everything post in mind- numbling detail? Having said that, what percentage of the desktop is Linux now - distros I mean, I remember a while ago that next year was always going to be "the year of Linux on the desktop" - so where are we? 25% 30%?

10-04-13 04:01 PM
    Yes, are we really at the Barrack room lawyer stage - where we have to explain everything post in mind- numbling detail? Having said that, what percentage of the desktop is Linux now - distros I mean, I remember a while ago that next year was always going to be "the year of Linux on the desktop" - so where are we? 25% 30%?

I did not say it was a viable business for BlackBerry to have some tiny percentage of hobbyist phone enthusiasts as their user base. In fact it is not in my opinion. Not as they are structured.

Linux is successful though. Redhat, Ubuntu and many many specific verticals like GTech lottery where Linux essentially has a monopoly by being used by the monopolist.

Meaning Linux is an example where being the outsider was parlayed into an advantage in some ways. Though being free and powerful and letting anyone have the source to modify was undoubtedly the bigger factor.
    10-04-13 04:50 PM
    So what was the percentage?

10-04-13 04:52 PM

100% in the specific enterprise vertical of lottery terminals in the US as one example. If you are talking about consumers I'd say less than 1% in a desktop form factor.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-04-13 05:12 PM

Just use MacOs as an example.
    People are willing to pay more for a PC using that OS, than for a Windows based counterpart.

They have about 10% marketshare worldwide, less programms than Windows, etc, but dominate the "luxurious" segment of the PC market for quite some time now.

Following your thesis this shouldn't be the case, because:

1) 10% marketshare is by definition, an outsider role, with the way the Pc market is seperated.

2) MacOS has less programs.

3) It's not the best connected experience.

4) They aren't cheaper than the competition, even though they offer less in terms of the 3 points I just listed.

Following the premise of your first post I replied to, Apple shouldn't be as sucessful as they are right now, in the PC market.
    But they are...

Why?
    Because what you said was far to simplistic.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:19 PM
    Macs do not have an outsider status, they have a well defined niche - not the same thing.

Anyway it is 2230 on a Friday and I am going out on the lash so I may not respond till Sunday.
    10-04-13 05:21 PM
    100% in the specific enterprise vertical of lottery terminals in the US as one example..
    Are they suddenly 'Linux desktop geeks'? Which was your postion at the start of this dialogue.

Right I am off on the lash and bid you good day.

10-04-13 05:24 PM
    Are they suddenly 'Linux desktop geeks'? Which was your postion at the start of this dialogue.

Not sure. But surely they are "people" as you put it.

I don't really need to defend how successful Linux has been at disrupting virtually everything in computing. You can surely Google that.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-04-13 05:26 PM
    Macs do not have an outsider status, they have a well defined niche - not the same thing.

No.
    Per definition, when Windows has 90% of the market, 10% is an outsider role.
    Btw, words like "outsider status" and "niche" aren't that diametrically opposed by their definition, as you want to let it appear.

It's very clear now, that you have a very opportunistic style of argumenting.
    You were wrong before and you are still wrong.

This is the proof for it.
    By your definition, Macs have a very niceley defined niche, and Linux hasn't?

That you don't see these inconsistencies by yourself, is petty fascinating.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:28 PM
    I agree with Q4 and Q2, but you can't be sure about Q1 > 1.2M. Part of the 3.7m shipped can be in the channel.
    Yes you are right. But even if sales in Q1 are lower it would actually solidify my argument. My point was that sales are going up.

750K > 1.2M (or less) > 1.7M

Sales are increasing!

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    10-04-13 08:02 PM
    Yes you are right. But even if sales in Q1 are lower it would actually solidify my argument. My point was that sales are going up.

750K > 1.2M (or less) > 1.7M

Sales are increasing!

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    The thing that I find sad, is that this means that they have sold an average of 566k units per model this quarter.
    That's just abysmal...

If the trend of increasing sales continues exactly like that, then we would see 2.175 Million devices sold next quarter.
    This would correspond to an average of 543k per model, the Z30 now included.
    This number is extremely close to the the average of sales per device from the othrr quarter.

The conclusion that seems logic, is that the increase of sales is heavily linked to the number of models they have available.
    That makes one think...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 09:01 AM
89 ... 234