1. cgk's Avatar
    We haven't done this for a while and with the Priv around the corner might as well see where BBRY stands:

    UK 0.5%
    Germany 0.8%
    France 0.5%
    Spain -0.0%
    Italy - 0.6%
    Russia - 0.1%
    China 0.1%
    Japan 0.0%
    Australia 1.1%
    USA 0.3%

    The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech for the third quarter of 2015 confirms the trend seen over the previous two months, with Android gaining market share in the U.S. while losing ground in Europes big five markets.

    Europe's big five markets include Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain.

    Thanks to an increase in marketing focus and the weakening of brands such as Sony, HTC, and Motorola, Huawei was able to rise to second place among Android brands in Europe from sixth place in 2014, reported Carolina Milanesi, chief of research at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. With a wider portfolio of products ranging from the high-end all the way to the low-end, Huawei made particular inroads in Spain and Italy.
    Smartphone OS sales market share – Kantar Worldpanel ComTech
    11-04-15 03:59 AM
  2. cgk's Avatar
    A bit of analysis about the US:

    In the September quarter, Samsung and Apple models represented 66% of all smartphones sold in the US. The fact that these two brands own 9 of the top 10 most-sold smartphones makes it clear why they are able to dominate sales so convincingly.

    Apple was the top brand choice for gift-giving, representing 39% of all smartphones purchased as gifts during the quarter, followed by Samsung at 29%.

    Twenty-eight percent of smartphones sold went to consumers who had never before owned a smartphone, down from 36% in the same period last year. Android had 27% of these first-time buyers and Apple iOS had 23%.

    Forty-nine percent of consumers are planning to upgrade their smartphone in the next 12 months. Among them, 43% prefer Apple while 34% prefer Samsung when it comes to the brand that they are considering as their next purchase. Among current iOS owners, 90% said they prefer Apple for their next smartphone while 5% said Samsung. Quite strikingly, among current Android owners, 58% prefer Samsung and 10% prefer Apple. Other brands in the Android ecosystem that are preferred by upgraders are Motorola (9%), HTC (7%) and LG (6%). Finally, among current Samsung owners, 84% prefer Samsung and 10% prefer Apple. Considering how strongly consumers who are planning to upgrade over the next year feel about Apple and Samsung, two things are clear: consumers see Apple and Samsung in a league of their own and that the current market duopoly is far from over.
    So 5/10 plan to upgrade - out of those 99% have a preferred choice for OEM. so That leaves 1% to fight about.
    11-04-15 08:09 AM
  3. pomidor's Avatar
    How does Kantar ID the OS? If it's by the browser used to surf the interned on your phone, then there could be a problem. For example, I'd expect Kantar to think that I'm using an android phone when I open up Firefox on my z30.

    Also, since Priv is running Android, it will probably ID itself as Android and not BB. If so, Kantar results won't tell us about Priv's market share or about BB's correct market share as a whole (BB 10 + BB Android).
    11-04-15 08:18 AM
  4. cgk's Avatar
    How does Kantar ID the OS? If it's by the browser used to surf the interned on your phone, then there could be a problem. For example, I'd expect Kantar to think that I'm using an android phone when I open up Firefox on my z30.

    Also, since Priv is running Android, it will probably ID itself as Android and not BB. If so, Kantar results won't tell us about Priv's market share or about BB's correct market share as a whole (BB 10 + BB Android).
    They don't track it in that way - they use channel data plus billing data, sales data they obtain from carrier and a quite a few other data points.

    So they will know how many android devices BBRY sell - we'll be able to tell anyway from the first quarter results.
    pomidor likes this.
    11-04-15 08:26 AM
  5. huwit's Avatar
    Where can I get those kantar reports... for free
    11-04-15 08:33 AM
  6. Lusitano17's Avatar
    Canada is about 8% -last I heard- Hope springs eternal!
    11-04-15 01:24 PM
  7. Soulstream's Avatar
    A bit of analysis about the US:



    So 5/10 plan to upgrade - out of those 99% have a preferred choice for OEM. so That leaves 1% to fight about.
    In the Android world, OEM loyalty can change very easily, because you lose almost nothing when moving between OEMs. Your apps and services move with you very easily. It's a soft ecosystem lockin.

    When you leave the apple world, you lose a lot of paid apps and services. This is a hard ecosystem lockin.

    I also have a "preferred" Android OEM, but that doesn't mean I don't inspect the market before doing a purchase or that i will 100% buy from that OEM. I have changed that preferred OEM twice in the last 4 years. That's one of the advantages of Android.
    cgk likes this.
    11-05-15 05:10 AM
  8. cgk's Avatar
    In the Android world, OEM loyalty can change very easily, because you lose almost nothing when moving between OEMs. Your apps and services move with you very easily. It's a soft ecosystem lockin.

    When you leave the apple world, you lose a lot of paid apps and services. This is a hard ecosystem lockin.

    I also have a "preferred" Android OEM, but that doesn't mean I don't inspect the market before doing a purchase or that i will 100% buy from that OEM. I have changed that preferred OEM twice in the last 4 years. That's one of the advantages of Android.
    It's a shame more consumers don't behave like that - what we do know is that switch is heavily influenced by price and marketing.

    In regards to OEM loyalty - here is what I wrote elsewhere:

    I couldn't think of anything lower than being 'loyal' to a mega-corporation - Consumers should constantly hound and attack corporations and be willing to switch at the drop of a hat. Every bit of bad service or poor product development should be shouted from the rooftops. Loyalty to a corporation leads to sloppy products and allows them to release second-rate outcomes. Rather than loyalty I am equally disloyal to all! I've had nokia, Palm, Motorola, ZTE, Sony and now LG. Even though I like my G4, when I pick my next phone they compete for my money from scratch along side everyone else, eveyone has a fair chance to win my custom.

    Every product launch should have the organisation CEO and leadership team laying awake at night that we the consumer will rubbish and destroy their reputation.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-05-15 05:34 AM
  9. Soulstream's Avatar
    It's a shame more consumers don't behave like that - what we do know is that switch is heavily influenced by price and marketing.

    In regards to OEM loyalty - here is what I wrote elsewhere:

    I couldn't think of anything lower than being 'loyal' to a mega-corporation - Consumers should constantly hound and attack corporations and be willing to switch at the drop of a hat. Every bit of bad service or poor product development should be shouted from the rooftops. Loyalty to a corporation leads to sloppy products and allows them to release second-rate outcomes. Rather than loyalty I am equally disloyal to all! I've had nokia, Palm, Motorola, ZTE, Sony and now LG. Even though I like my G4, when I pick my next phone they compete for my money from scratch along side everyone else, eveyone has a fair chance to win my custom.

    Every product launch should have the organisation CEO and leadership team laying awake at night that we the consumer will rubbish and destroy their reputation.
    The real problem is ecosystem lockin. Android has a soft one and apple a hard one. I have about 200 euros of paid apps on my android device. Some are old apps, but some I use even now. When thinking of moving to another platform, I also factor in the cost of the apps. So the price of moving to another platform will be price_of_phone + price_of_paid_apps.

    BB10 launched when ecosystem lockin really started to manifest itself and a lot of people saw no reason to switch platforms.
    cgk and LuvULongTime like this.
    11-05-15 05:51 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Onedrive shared folders?
    By cathulu15 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-15, 05:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-15, 12:46 PM
  3. Why doesn't Iphone have share to BBM?
    By ezapper2 in forum BBM on iOS
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-15, 04:29 PM
  4. Android markets not working post OS update
    By Nishant818 in forum BlackBerry Z10
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-15, 04:34 PM
  5. PRIV priced wrong, market will prove it. Here's why.
    By epee in forum BlackBerry Priv
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-30-15, 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD