Jolla will run any Android applications without any modifications. Users will be able to seamlessly download Android apps from the various app stores. Making for an experience that is nearly identical to what youd get from a full-fledged, Android smartphone.
    Jollas Sailfish OS is now compatible with Android apps and hardware - GadgetNerdly

How is that legally possible? Why is it ok for Sailfish to run unmodified Android applications? I always thought BlackBerry did the whole convert apk files to bar thing to make it to where they weren't stealing. Technically speaking, BlackBerry 10 doesn't run Android apps, it runs apps that were ported to BlackBerry bar files. But it sounds like Jolla Sailfish will be running actual Android apps.

Thoughts?
    09-16-13 04:40 PM
    I dont think they get the playstore so they are basically just like many android tabs that arent playstore certified. I am unsure how the android implementation is for sure though.
    Witmen likes this.
    09-16-13 04:45 PM
    It's a good question. What does Google think of that you can download Android apps and run it on another operating system (given that they are economically compensated)?

On the other hand this might lead more income for Google.
    On the other hand this might turn the heads away from Android OS and people might want to buy a phone with another OS instead.

Does someone know how Google stand in this question?

Also, about the stealing, what stops you from installing an apk on an Android phone and steal that way.
    09-16-13 04:47 PM
    I dont think they get the playstore so they are basically just like many android tabs that arent playstore certified. I am unsure how the android implementation is for sure though.
    Yeah I imagined they aren't using the Google play store since they only said "various app stores" and didn't name Google Play specificilly. Still I'm curious how they are getting away with using actual apk files on a non-android OS.
    09-16-13 04:49 PM
    Wonder if the apps will be able to rely on Google services (esp maps and play store verification), that's really been a killer for many apps I've tried to sideload and would have otherwise run perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 04:50 PM

Also, about the stealing, what stops you from installing an apk on an Android phone and steal that way.
    When I said stealing, I meant BlackBerry stealing apps from Android. Not users pirating apps.

But that is another unanswered question. Did BlackBerry come up with the apk to bar conversion process to avoid stealing Android's apps, or did they have to make the apps a bar file for them to run?

I always thought it was a legality issue, because the way it currently works, BlackBerry 10 will only run BlackBerry apps.
    09-16-13 04:57 PM
    I don't believe the apps actually belong to Google. They belong to the developers.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 05:12 PM
    I don't believe the apps actually belong to Google. They belong to the developers.

Posted via CB10
    Google owns the Platform... I sure if you read the fine print that comes with the the APK tools Google provides, in addition to your firstborn child you give them rights to all applications created by those tools....

In the article I read it mentioned Sideloading of Android Apps - sound very familiar. Don't know much about "other" Android Stores (other than Amazon) and how those apps are downloaded and installed (keep up to date). But I know with my PlayBook and Z10 piracy is a problem, and at some point if you have enough developers being hurt by it, Google is going to crack down. Bet they already have some plans in place to lock application in the future to the platform. Also think that locked runtimes are most likely here to stay.
    09-17-13 07:22 AM
    Alternative app stores and via the browser is how you will get android apps according to Jolla.

That doesn't sound like there will be side loading to me. Rather straight Apk files, without conversion, can be installed. None if this converting to bar files and adding to your device via pc.

That's how I read it. I could be wrong.

There are a lot of alternative android app stores. Most just supply freeware. The best one to use would be Amazon and for the likes of China, Yandex. Permission would be needed for these which is either being sought or has been given already.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 08:30 AM
    Depending on the market, Google Play isn't really a big deal. For example, most phone manufacturers in China that us Android don't include Google Play on their phones They don't use Google services either since most of them don't work right. I think most use the Baidu app store, since I've seen that on almost all phones.
    09-17-13 09:16 AM
    If this is true, I wonder what effect it has on the vale of BB10?
    09-17-13 10:58 AM
    These app stores are probably full of malware and bugs. They get into the play store so there has to be many more on these other sites.
    09-17-13 11:05 AM
    If this is true, I wonder what effect it has on the vale of BB10?
    Don't think another OS running Android is going to have any affect on BB10.

The Jolla Sailfish OS does not run APK, they are using a runtime much like BlackBerry. It appears they are using the Myriad Alien Dalvik (enables OEMs and service providers to access the previously unavailable Android ecosystem and deliver new content, applications and services to customers, without the constraints of full Android adoption.)

And they appear to be able to utilize existing Android Hardware, so having an OEM manufacture devices should be possible without totally retooling - but still more expensive based on scale of an order. So the only question is WHY.... if you are buying an Android Hardware and have to deal with running apps on an emulator, what are the benefits.

Bet these never make it out of Finland.
    09-17-13 11:48 AM
    Don't think another OS running Android is going to have any affect on BB10.

The Jolla Sailfish OS does not run APK, they are using a runtime much like BlackBerry. It appears they are using the Myriad Alien Dalvik (enables OEMs and service providers to access the previously unavailable Android ecosystem and deliver new content, applications and services to customers, without the constraints of full Android adoption.)

And they appear to be able to utilize existing Android Hardware, so having an OEM manufacture devices should be possible without totally retooling - but still more expensive based on scale of an order. So the only question is WHY.... if you are buying an Android Hardware and have to deal with running apps on an emulator, what are the benefits.

Bet these never make it out of Finland.
    Most people buy what everybody else is buying. But there are a percentage of outsiders that likes to buy something else, try something different, and that is the share of the market that BB, WP, Jolla, Firefox and Tizen are going for.
    For these people It's not enough that the phone just works, they want something new, even if It has some drawbacks or they have to spend time tweaking the product.

The success of Jolla is not good for BlackBerry because the 'outsiders' are a small part of the market. The users that Jolla wins are users that BlackBerry lost.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    09-17-13 10:11 PM
    I had an N9 before, and am heavily interested in Jolla.

I switched to BB10 and I'm loving it. But BlackBerry has to keep the fire lit, if they sell off, then there is no reason for me to stay.

If they say that they run android apps, and with the great software (and hopefully hardware) design like they had on the N9, it's a no brainer.

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    09-17-13 10:33 PM
    I remembered seeing this posted here, had to do a search for it just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. So announced in September by Jolla, copied and stuck into BlackBerry 10 beta OS in November.

Pretty awesome!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-12-13 07:34 AM
    BlackBerry is a dynamic evolving os and just for giggles they'll load sailfish onto bb10 just cause
    11-13-13 05:26 AM
    I remembered seeing this posted here, had to do a search for it just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. So announced in September by Jolla, copied and stuck into BlackBerry 10 beta OS in November.

Pretty awesome!
    Yeah that's cool and all but jolly isn't even out yet afaik
    11-13-13 05:29 AM
    I just read an article that Jolla will have the Yandex app store that had 85000 apps. Can't find it now, but doesn't seem like much compared to the actual playstore.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:39 AM
    I just read an article that Jolla will have the Yandex app store that had 85000 apps. Can't find it now, but doesn't seem like much compared to the actual playstore.

Edit: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/11/1...t-smartphones/
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:44 AM
    Exactly, BlackBerry 10 and Sailfish has the same thing going on. With either platform you can use the crappy preinstalled app store, or just take any Android app you want and side load it. The only difference is BlackBerry foolishly went with the convert to bar file method for years instead of just running apk files from the start. That may have saved the PlayBook.
    11-13-13 09:27 AM
    Jolla is looking really good, can't wait to get mine!

Jolla Sailfish will run unmodified Android apps-photo.jpg

I like that Jolla will have instagram and that from the get go, it will perhaps be a better out of the box experience than what BB10 had. Many users will of course prefer native apps and will hope that this is more of a stop gap until more native apps come.

It was probably the logical thing for them to do in allowing android apps as they didn't have the resources to run a Sailfish developer programme.

I wonder if the CB10 app could be ported to Sailfish?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 03:36 PM
    But how do we know the apps from the Yandex store are official and safe?

I have seen a few videos of jolla and it looks interesting but if people thought bb10 had a learning curve then they will be terrified by jolla.

Some nice things that bb10 needs to borrow such as interactive frames and resizable frames when more apps are running.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:18 AM