12-03-13 05:29 PM
35 12
tools
    Given all the talks surrounding BlackBerry 10 and its ability to run Android APK files and whether or not that's borderline piracy and all, I found it interesting that people in the Jolla community are also 'hacking' their way into the Google Play Store. Jolla of course, can run Android APK's in a similar fashion to BlackBerry 10 thanks to their inclusion of Myriad's Alien Dalvik, that was already known but now they've got the Google Play Store up and running for the most part with the exception of some apps not able to get past the build.prop inclusion.

My Jolla Blog: Play Store for Jolla
    11-29-13 07:05 PM
    I havent looked but do they have GSF working?
    11-29-13 07:12 PM
    Awesome!
    Definitely will get myself one to play with next year

Posted via CB10
    lexmarq likes this.
    11-29-13 07:32 PM
    Apk's are going to become the universal app

Sent from my Z30
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    11-29-13 08:27 PM
    That was my first question too
    11-29-13 08:36 PM
    looks like they do have GSF.
    11-29-13 08:40 PM
    So Phil/Jerry where is the article on this?

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055
    11-29-13 08:45 PM
    Heretic's...villains!!! lol

Well done...and I agree...APK is taking over, Beta wars part deux almost finished.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 08:50 PM
    I would guess for us to get GSF we would need root access which I doubt will happen
    11-29-13 08:52 PM
    so jolla a team of 80 got this function working before blackberry? or is it the same kind of access that blackberry users can use with google play web browser?

Edit: nvm managed to get the link to load, they flashed it like android gapps
    11-29-13 09:06 PM
    i could see myself settling into sailfish os if it becomes available via ports on existing hardware.
    11-29-13 09:16 PM
    it would be working on BB10 devices as well, if BB would stop blacklisting things.
    11-29-13 09:17 PM
    Given all the talks surrounding BlackBerry 10 and its ability to run Android APK files and whether or not that's borderline piracy and all, I found it interesting that people in the Jolla community are also 'hacking' their way into the Google Play Store. Jolla of course, can run Android APK's in a similar fashion to BlackBerry 10 thanks to their inclusion of Myriad's Alien Dalvik, that was already known but now they've got the Google Play Store up and running for the most part with the exception of some apps not able to get past the build.prop inclusion.

My Jolla Blog: Play Store for Jolla
    a simple edit to build.prop would solve that issue entirely, something we'll never (at least foreseeably) have access to. I'd love to see blackberry let go of some control there, a working google suite would change things a bit, especially hangouts.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-29-13 09:25 PM
    a simple edit to build.prop would solve that issue entirely, something we'll never (at least foreseeably) have access to. I'd love to see blackberry let go of some control there, a working google suite would change things a bit, especially hangouts.
    Unless they get Google approval, that would be really piracy.
    Etios and Shanerredflag like this.
    11-29-13 09:32 PM
    Have DROID store so don't care either way but cool for Jolla users.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    11-29-13 09:38 PM
    Says.. or at the very least... implies they do. Unable to confirm myself though through testing.
    11-29-13 10:16 PM
    Have DROID store so don't care either way but cool for Jolla users.

Not the same thing
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    11-29-13 10:35 PM
    Not the same thing
    I know but it gets the same apks so meh.

11-29-13 11:45 PM
    Myriad also plans further improvements for alien dalvik -

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/myria...ext-step-jolla

I've yet to see for myself how these android apps run on Jolla. Buying a phone from a start up company doesn't mean next day delivery when you pay *sigh* lol.. hopefully shipping starts soon!

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:47 AM
    it would be working on BB10 devices as well, if BB would stop blacklisting things.
    I don't think blacklisting is the issue. I don't believe GAPPS (for e most part) can be installed via a simple APK. Every time I've done it on CM devices, it was a bit more involved than that. BB can't bake it in without potential legal issues, so they need to give users root access to the Android filesystem and let us tinker for ourselves.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-30-13 07:51 AM
    Apk's are going to become the universal app

Sent from my Z30
    Damn pirates. Lol.

I was pondering this the other night, about having universal apps. Whether it's HTML5 or everyone being able to use apks, I'm surprised that more consumers haven't clamoured for this.

I was wondering about the statements made by some people in other threads that it's piracy to use apks even from legitimate sources because BB10 isn't an android device and therefore the Dev hasn't given permission for the app to be run on that platform. The question that came to my mind was, in what other industry does the Seller get to dictate to the consumer how and where the product they purchase is used?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 08:35 AM
    BlackBerry could easily do this if they wanted, very very easily. Will they ever do it? I highly doubt it. The difference is that BlackBerry is a much larger company whereas Jolla is a start up and Google won't care. However if Google sees their Play Store running on BB10 there will be legal issues. On a side note Jolla looks incredible. It might be an OS I try out if I don't get a WinPhone, to go along with my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 04:07 PM
    So can we now say Sailfish OS is better Android than BlackBerry 10, which is also better Android than Android?

I knew this was going to happen eventually, I didn't expect it this soon though. I mean Sailfish is going to be released for people to run on their existing Android devices. I knew that if nothing else, the development community would make this possible.
    11-30-13 04:41 PM
    I don't think blacklisting is the issue. I don't believe GAPPS (for e most part) can be installed via a simple APK. Every time I've done it on CM devices, it was a bit more involved than that. BB can't bake it in without potential legal issues, so they need to give users root access to the Android filesystem and let us tinker for ourselves.
    I don't know if this is the only way it is possible, but whenever I've installed Gapps, which has been quite a few times now, it has always been by flashing a Zip from recovery. In my case, I boot into TWRP and flash it. As far as I know, that is the only way to install Gapps.
    11-30-13 04:44 PM
    BlackBerry could easily do this if they wanted, very very easily. Will they ever do it? I highly doubt it. The difference is that BlackBerry is a much larger company whereas Jolla is a start up and Google won't care. However if Google sees their Play Store running on BB10 there will be legal issues. On a side note Jolla looks incredible. It might be an OS I try out if I don't get a WinPhone, to go along with my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Jolla users can't do either without some trickery................ but they got it done. As mentioned, BlackBerry blocks it among other things. It was never really a question, at least for me, if BlackBerry COULD do it.
    12-01-13 05:30 PM
35 12