03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 678910 ...
tools
    So BBM was Blackberry-only for how many years? Let me guess, about as long as Blackberry stood atop of the messaging market. Does anyone believe that BBM would be cross-platform if Blackberry still was popular?
    Actually yes. Back in the RIM/Jim+Mike days, there was talk of "text 2.0", which would be carrier-supported, worldwide, and use you guessed it, based on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-23-15 08:03 AM
    You can run Windows on Apple computers but you cannot run OSX on Windows machine and software offering for macs is on par with Windows, I haven't came across a software that is not offered for both systems,so your argument about Apple hardware is totally bogus
    Solidworks is PC-only

PowerCadd is Mac-only

Thanks for coming out.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 08:05 AM
    he is up to something.
    I hope you are right my friend and JC has the last laugh.
    01-23-15 08:15 AM
    Anyone criticizing Chen should read the actual blog again: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/01/...et-neutrality/

Nowhere does he say that they need to mandate this for BlackBerry's sake. His point is that if we are going to have such a thing as 'Net Neutrality' then apps need to be considered a part of the picture.

He doesn't insist that others should be like BlackBerry because they made BBM available so everyone else has to do the same thing. He actually says that part of BlackBerry's successful turnaround has been because of their decision to do this. He's pointing out that there is a light and it can actually be BETTER for developers if there is no discrimination from app providers.

What if you were only able to play movies from Sony Pictures on a Bluray player made by Sony? It would be ridiculous and the app situation is equally as unbalanced. Their products need to be available to everyone and not discriminate based on what OS they have.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I read the blog just fine. It still sounds and reads as being ridiculous.

He is demanding app developers code for him and stomping his feet to get the government to make it so. Others have pointed this out better than I but his language was pretty clear cut.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-23-15 08:39 AM
    This about sums it up:

c/p from Android Central blog.

How you can make the BlackBerry CEO's bat****-crazy smartphone dream a reality

John Chen cries 'discrimination' as discriminating consumers continue to choose Android and iOS

"All wireless broadband customers must have the ability to access any lawful applications and content they choose," BlackBerry CEO John Chen writes in a recent manifesto on net neutrality that spans from carriers to internet service providers to applications themselves.

And you know what? He's right. You should be able to access any lawful application and content you choose.

And you can. Here's how.

Step 1: Open your wallet. Retrieve credit card.
    Step 2: Buy an iPhone or iPad. Or an Android phone or tablet. Or a Windows phone. Or even a BlackBerry. Or whatever the hell you want.

See? You do have a choice.

Any attempt to rationalize Chen's comments is to acknowledge that your choice was a poor one if it doesn't do what you want or need it to do. It's called buyers remorse....... a condition prevalent in the populace that orders crap from TV adds at 3:00 am.
    MikeX74 and jmr1015 like this.
    01-23-15 08:44 AM
    Netflix doesn't stream on Android or iOS or WP8 browsers. How is BlackBerry being singled out?

The discrimination point was exceptionally silly, and there really is no defending it.
    Because both android and I OS and WP8 all have an app.... I'll say it again... an app. Where's BlackBerry s app? How many BlackBerry users are out there. More than a million right? Doesn't sound silly to me and to many who see it my way at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 08:46 AM
    Because both android and I OS and WP8 all have an app.... I'll say it again... an app. Where's BlackBerry s app?
    Right here... Netflix App
    Soulstream likes this.
    01-23-15 09:01 AM
    Doesn't work properly, thanks though.

I don't agree with the way Chen stated his thoughts about apps, but I do agree with the sentiment.

If content providers say they want to be able to connect to their customers without any party limiting this in any way, because their customers should have unimpeded access to their service at all times, they should also look at their own practices where they don't support all (reasonably large) platforms. Because that is also a form of limiting your customer's choice.

Of course they shouldn't be forced, but it sounds to me more like common courtesy of these content providers to support all platforms if "unimpeded connectivity" is so high on their priority list.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    01-23-15 09:12 AM
    Because both android and I OS and WP8 all have an app.... I'll say it again... an app. Where's BlackBerry s app? How many BlackBerry users are out there. More than a million right? Doesn't sound silly to me and to many who see it my way at all.

Posted via CB10
    M'kay
    01-23-15 09:13 AM
    I disagree, this is far dumber than that. The iPhone are everyone's lunch. All the smartphone platforms popular when it was launched are gone now. The iPhone success was because Apple had a different vision which caught on.

This latest Chen move is going to reduce developer support for his platform, partly because developers are angry about it but mostly because it highlights that BB10 is not a viable platform and the CEO knows it.
    Whether true or not... that is what everyone is saying. Chen's got his foot in his mouth and it's a bigger story than Samsung pursuing BlackBerry is. There have been at this point over 131 write ups about BlackBerry's CEO and his inability to understand what "net neutrality" was all about, and his "whining" about developers should be forced to prop up BlackBerry.

As FORBES said "Chen has it backwards. If Blackberry can turn around and draw users back, developers will start making more content for Blackberry. And while more apps might make that easier for Blackberry, this should be the result of a product people want to buy, not the whim of our legislature."
    01-23-15 09:18 AM
    Of course they shouldn't be forced, but it sounds to me more like common courtesy of these content providers to support all platforms if "unimpeded connectivity" is so high on their priority list.
    As I said before, where do you draw the line? 5% market share? 1%?

Software development isn't easy (or else everybody would do it) and isn't cheap either.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-23-15 09:20 AM
    Ummm...capacitive keyboard is pretty f'ing innovative. But go ahead and make said triangular tablet, but not sure how a triangle by itself is innovative. The rest of the market (apart from the classic), including the z30 I am currently typing on, is just another slab of glass.

Posted via CB10
    A slab of glass with something not many others have - flick typing. Same with Samsung keyboards and their handwriting-to-text input. Neither example is necessarily innovative, they just offer options that set them apart from the competition, just like the capacitive Passport keyboard.
    01-23-15 09:27 AM
    They don't need to try very hard.
    Rofl... now that's good funny!

Chen's incompetence as CEO is showing through in desperation now. He's a great bean counter and should have been CFO instead.

Sadly, as CEO he has only extended the pain. BlackBerry will last a little longer now because of his excellent money management skills. Sadly, irrelevance is now more assured than ever due to his lack of CEO competency.

Posted via CB10
    Shlooky likes this.
    01-23-15 09:27 AM
    Nah....I disagree....let the trolls and the hate mongering wannabe journalists have their fun....I found the whole thing hilarious....keeps Blackberry interesting.

Regardless, Chen is a very smart man. Very calculating. Do not underestimate him. He did not post this for what it appears to be.

Remember a couple of months ago when he publicly admitted his wife did not want to give up her Samsung? The media was all over that saying Chen was a buffoon for admitting that. So what happens two weeks later? Blackberry has a deal to sercure Samsung phones.

Coincidence?? Hardly.... and the rumblings of a Samsung purchase or partial purchase of Blackberry now just won't go away.

Wall Huggers, Passports don't bend, T-Mobile spats.... all entertainment in my mind. The guy is headline material....Keep the good stuff coming Chen and don't listen to these politically correct spineless jellyfish gooing up these forums....
    Yup agree. Let the haters kick and scream but we all know they are kicking and screaming in fear .

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-23-15 10:16 AM
    I think he said it right but it's being taken the wrong way. Take netflix for example. There is no app for BlackBerry and I know that the android app works just fine on BlackBerry devices but it's not built for BlackBerry. In the particular example, netflix can allow the BlackBerry browser to just stream the video right from the browser like Amazon does or did once ago. Netflix purposely blocks the BlackBerry browser from streaming. Now why is that? Netflix could allow the browser but they choose not to. Examples like these is what Chen is referring to.

Also, Chen was just using apple as an example but of course, the media and everyone else has taken it to a level trying to make this man look incompetent.

Posted via CB10
    There's something that Chen doesn't, and some of the commenters here don't seem to understand. No developer, big or small, has an obligation to build apps for a platform if they don't want to. If Netflix doesn't want to build an app for BB 10, why should they have to? As for Chen looking incompetent, he did that all on his own.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-23-15 10:19 AM
    Chen is pro innovation. Companies like apple hate innovation as they are still stuck in 2007. The biased and paid for media is just repeating what they are told to say. The time will come and the haters won't like the outcome.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-23-15 10:21 AM
    Chen's incompetence as CEO is showing through in desperation now. He's a great bean counter and should have been CFO instead.
    OK, we get it, you have a chubby for dissing on Chen. That's fine, opinions are allowed, right or wrong, smart or stupid.

Do you really have to keep saying the same thing over and over though? I could sworn I read this exact quote a few pages back, along with your other cookie cutter Chen bashing.

Repetition doesn't make people believe you any more or less; we either accept your premises or we don't.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:24 AM
    All Chen is asking for is that if some party (could be BlackBerry) believes a an iMessage app is needed on BB10, then Apple should open up. A very basic open market approach, in contrast to a protectionist approach. I don't think that is too much too ask.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    PARITY shouldn't be forced upon an industry via government mandate, and that's what Chen is after.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-23-15 10:26 AM
    Yup agree. Let the haters kick and scream but we all know they are kicking and screaming in fear .

Posted via CB10
    What is it that people are afraid of? I know lots and lots of people that don't use a BB and it isn't because they are afraid of them, they just don't like them.

So the media is afraid of BB because they disagree with what is largely looked (even by most here) at an asinine comment made by Chen and they are commenting on it. Are CrackBerry users afraid of BB too? By far, most of the comments are negative here with what he said, so I guess people are afraid of BB here too.
    01-23-15 10:34 AM
    Continued from closed thread...
    Chen is lame - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

"Thou shalt not kill..."
    No matter what. A death wish to a person or company is inappropriate.

Back on topic. :-)

The tech world thrives on innovation, even if that means a competitor has better and more advanced stuff at some stage, but others catch up and will be ahead again.
    The "app issue" is pretty much preventing newer and more innovative tech to become mainstream, because "it doesn't do Netflix or Instagram"...

Major apps and services should just bite the bullet and get an app written, just to do the right thing. This does not necessarily need gov't intervention or new legislation. Doing the right thing doesn't always mean it's gonna be (immediately) profitable, but it will prevent bottlenecks and abuse of mono-/duopolies in the long run...

  2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...  
    Why should major apps and services "bite the bullet" or "do the right thing"(for Blackberry) and get apps written? Why should developers invest their time and money on BB10? If they wanted to, wouldn't they have done so by now?
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-23-15 10:35 AM

Seriously!?! Cmon

Yes.... it's an android app. Built for Android not BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:35 AM
    All Chen is asking for is that if some party (could be BlackBerry) believes a an iMessage app is needed on BB10, then Apple should open up. A very basic open market approach, in contrast to a protectionist approach. I don't think that is too much too ask.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    Let me know when BB Travel is opened up for Android and iOS. Since apparently BB wants and is open with all their apps it should be any day now.
    MikeX74 and jmr1015 like this.
    01-23-15 10:36 AM
    Never thought I'd agree with something Forbes published. Times ARE changing.
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-23-15 10:40 AM
    Chen is pro innovation. Companies like apple hate innovation as they are still stuck in 2007. The biased and paid for media is just repeating what they are told to say. The time will come and the haters won't like the outcome.

Posted via CB10
    Kool-aid ? Nobody told me there was Kool-aid.

If only Apple could innovate like Blackberry has over the last 5-10 years? Are you for real?

SMH
    01-23-15 10:42 AM
    There's something that Chen doesn't, and some of the commenters here don't seem to understand. No developer, big or small, has an obligation to build apps for a platform if they don't want to. If Netflix doesn't want to build an app for BB 10, why should they have to? As for Chen looking incompetent, he did that all on his own.
    No should should be left out either like the millions of bb10 users at this point. I remember two years ago when BlackBerry wanted snap chat and the developer said to BlackBerry. That they didn't have enough users to justify an app for BlackBerry. BlackBerry argument was that if the app was available, more people would possibly buy BlackBerry and by not having the app, users who use that app may not buy BlackBerry because that app is missing. The developer simply said, we shall see. Three years later and I still don't see a lot of apps that other platforms have. There are a lot of users now but still no apps. So you see, it's a cause and effect type of situation. Bb10 rocks and we all know this but without certain apps, many people who rely on said apps won't even consider BlackBerry. That is a fact.

And we both know Mr. Chen isn't incompetent.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:44 AM
864 ... 678910 ...