03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 45678 ...
tools
    If this was Chen's idea of getting BlackBerry back in the news again... Mission accomplished!

Posted from an ME173X
    01-22-15 09:21 PM
    Sorry, Passports DO bend, the screen lifts, and the camera sucks!

Posted from an ME173X
    Well Bravo... all things bend, some just bend more than others.... I was quoting a Chen comment.... and if you bent yours, you were holding it wrong....screens may lift but, they don't crack like a certain other leading company's do....regardless....I don't own a Passport, so I wouldn't know, but my Blackberries are proving to be quite tough.
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-22-15 09:26 PM
    If this was Chen's idea of getting BlackBerry back in the news again... Mission accomplished!

Posted from an ME173X
    That we can agree on....I can't think of another reason for him to do that. He is a very smart guy, so he is up to something.
    quikchip likes this.
    01-22-15 09:27 PM
    Continued from closed thread...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=992301

Now you are involving Jesus... :-)
    "Thou shalt not kill..."
    No matter what. A death wish to a person or company is inappropriate.

Back on topic. :-)

The tech world thrives on innovation, even if that means a competitor has better and more advanced stuff at some stage, but others catch up and will be ahead again.
    The "app issue" is pretty much preventing newer and more innovative tech to become mainstream, because "it doesn't do Netflix or Instagram"...

Major apps and services should just bite the bullet and get an app written, just to do the right thing. This does not necessarily need gov't intervention or new legislation. Doing the right thing doesn't always mean it's gonna be (immediately) profitable, but it will prevent bottlenecks and abuse of mono-/duopolies in the long run...

  2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...  
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-22-15 09:27 PM
    Well that's fine if that's your personal opinion. We're all entitled to those. But that what he said is horrible PR is pretty much an objective fact. Just look at the headlines.

On a day when a new version of Windows is announced, the biggest news is that the CEO of Blackberry is calling for something he calls "app neutrality."

Think about that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Thinking about that and I didn't realize a new version of Windows was announced. Chen got all the headlines.

I remember when Windows 95 and then Windows 98 were headline news. Times have changed.
    01-22-15 09:30 PM
    Thinking about that and I didn't realize a new version of Windows was announced. Chen got all the headlines.

I remember when Windows 95 and then Windows 98 were headline news. Times have changed.
    Yeah, tech preview W10 with Cortana. Downloading now... :-)
    (started about an hour ago)

  2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...  
    01-22-15 09:32 PM
    Yeah, tech preview W10 with Cortana. Downloading now... :-)
    (started about an hour ago)

•   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   •
    Did I miss Windows 9? Or did they just not want is confused with Windows 95 or 98? Seems like yesterday when Windows 95 was introduced.
    01-22-15 09:34 PM

Remember a couple of months ago when he publicly admitted his wife did not want to give up her Samsung? The media was all over that saying Chen was a buffoon for admitting that.
    No, the media didn't.

I don't recall one article berating him. In fact, it showed a CEO that is open to the reality of other platforms (not especially shocking since he himself was an iPhone user before he got paid to call them wall huggers).
    01-22-15 09:41 PM
    No, the media didn't.

I don't recall one article berating him. In fact, it showed a CEO that is open to the reality of other platforms (not especially shocking since he himself was an iPhone user before he got paid to call them wall huggers).
    Your recollection is different than mine.

I hardly think BB board of directors did pay Chen directly to call them wall huggers. I thought it was funny, and apparently so did Samsung, speaking of Samsung.....
    01-22-15 10:07 PM
    He just comes off terribly here. This may have been mentioned above, but his statement that BB made BBM open so others should do the same is just flat out ridiculous. People begged for years when BBM was actually popular for BB to make it cross platform and they flat out refused. They did it out of desperation because they were getting killed by other messaging apps.

It wasn't that long ago that Blackberry even said that they weren't going to make a windows version of BBM because it wasn't worth their time because the OS wasn't popular enough:

"It is not a statement of intent, and it’s not a strategic or religious thing, it’s just a function of when does it make sense and when is it something that consumers demand in sufficient numbers to make it worth our while and worth their while."-David Proulx, BlackBerry’s Senior Director of BBM Business Development. Even though they did eventually get around to it, it wasn't their original plan to make an app for Windows because of the low user base.

I'm sorry, but he sounds like a complete fool here.

Edit: Why is this in News and Rumors? Its more of a General Discussion topic. Putting it here just seems like an attempt to bury the discussion.
    early2bed and xandermac like this.
    01-22-15 10:08 PM
    He just comes off terribly here. This may have been mentioned above, but his statement that BB made BBM open so others should do the same is just flat out ridiculous. People begged for years when BBM was actually popular for BB to make it cross platform and they flat out refused. They did it out of desperation because they were getting killed by other messaging apps.

It wasn't that long ago that Blackberry even said that they weren't going to make a windows version of BBM because it wasn't worth their time because the OS wasn't popular enough:

"It is not a statement of intent, and it’s not a strategic or religious thing, it’s just a function of when does it make sense and when is it something that consumers demand in sufficient numbers to make it worth our while and worth their while."-David Proulx, BlackBerry’s Senior Director of BBM Business Development. Even though they did eventually get around to it, it wasn't their original plan to make an app for Windows because of the low user base.

Edit: Why is this in News and Rumors? Its more of a General Discussion topic. Putting it here just seems like an attempt to bury the discussion.
    Don't apologize. Nobody is blaming you for this.
    01-22-15 10:16 PM
    Don't apologize. Nobody is blaming you for this.
    Lol, good to know.
    01-22-15 10:25 PM
    Well Bravo... all things bend, some just bend more than others.... I was quoting a Chen comment.... and if you bent yours, you were holding it wrong....screens may lift but, they don't crack like a certain other leading company's do....regardless....I don't own a Passport, so I wouldn't know, but my Blackberries are proving to be quite tough.
    Spend more time in the Passport forum, its constantly filled with people having issues with the phone bending and screen lifting for no reason, and shattering with a drop just like every other mass produced phone can have.
    01-22-15 10:27 PM
    It's not what's Chen is saying, what he's saying refers to the monopoly that currently exist that we can stream netflix, or Hulu from the browser. That's just one of the items that hurt BlackBerry. Other platforms have an app. BlackBerry doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 10:28 PM
    The tech world thrives on innovation, even if that means a competitor has better and more advanced stuff at some stage, but others catch up and will be ahead again.
    The "app issue" is pretty much preventing newer and more innovative tech to become mainstream, because "it doesn't do Netflix or Instagram"...

Major apps and services should just bite the bullet and get an app written, just to do the right thing. This does not necessarily need gov't intervention or new legislation. Doing the right thing doesn't always mean it's gonna be (immediately) profitable, but it will prevent bottlenecks and abuse of mono-/duopolies in the long run...
    That argument is as crazy as Chen's, major app providers will support BB if they decide it is in their interests. They don't owe BB anything. Smartphone innovation is not going to suffer if BB10 fails. Personally I love the Bold style keyboards, but I can't describe them as innovative. Nothing about the Classic is innovative, its basically a big 9900 with a modern OS. It is a smart business move though, the 9900 was a great BB .

Last year Apple launched the first 64bit smartphone. Google has just released a 64bit Android and its hardware partners are still lagging. BB is shipping phones with old and slow 32bit ARM SOCs (just like the good old days of BBOS). They also introduced a finger print reader that actually works and they tried (and failed) to produce a iPhone 6 with a sapphire crystal screen. The 6 Plus has optical image stabilization on its camera. BB (and HTC) are infamous for their horrible cameras (exhibit A the 9900).

Google's innovation has been more on the data mining side than the actual smartphone but they aren't exactly holding back innovation. Even Microsoft is starting to get its act together. It's BB that is lagging.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-22-15 10:29 PM
    01-22-15 10:38 PM
    Spend more time in the Passport forum, its constantly filled with people having issues with the phone bending and screen lifting for no reason, and shattering with a drop just like every other mass produced phone can have.
    Like I said, I don't own a Passport, so I don't spend time in those forums. I am not surprised by the issues that you speak of. The phone is such a unique form factor, that all the bugs and weaknesses have yet to be worked out. I'm sure that the second versions of the Passport will be more reliable.
    01-22-15 10:52 PM
    BlackBerry should just have a small group of people within the company that creates all the apps that people want if the apps aren't readily available! Boom problem solved
    01-22-15 10:52 PM
    That argument is as crazy as Chen's, major app providers will support BB if they decide it is in their interests. They don't owe BB anything. Smartphone innovation is not going to suffer if BB10 fails. Personally I love the Bold style keyboards, but I can't describe them as innovative. Nothing about the Classic is innovative, its basically a big 9900 with a modern OS. It is a smart business move though, the 9900 was a great BB .

Last year Apple launched the first 64bit smartphone. Google has just released a 64bit Android and its hardware partners are still lagging. BB is shipping phones with old and slow 32bit ARM SOCs (just like the good old days of BBOS). They also introduced a finger print reader that actually works and they tried (and failed) to produce a iPhone 6 with a sapphire crystal screen. The 6 Plus has optical image stabilization on its camera. BB (and HTC) are infamous for their horrible cameras (exhibit A the 9900).

Google's innovation has been more on the data mining side than the actual smartphone but they aren't exactly holding back innovation. Even Microsoft is starting to get its act together. It's BB that is lagging.
    I would say that the Passport is easily the most unique and innovative phone on the market. You can pick it out 40 yards away. All those others are just another slab of glass in a sea of slabs of glass.
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-22-15 10:56 PM
    It's not what's Chen is saying, what he's saying refers to the monopoly that currently exist that we can stream netflix, or Hulu from the browser. That's just one of the items that hurt BlackBerry. Other platforms have an app. BlackBerry doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Apps Schmapps.....is that really your R1?
    01-22-15 10:58 PM
    BlackBerry should just have a small group of people within the company that creates all the apps that people want if the apps aren't readily available! Boom problem solved
    hey....I like that idea....
    Skatophilia likes this.
    01-22-15 10:59 PM
    I would say that the Passport is easily the most unique and innovative phone on the market. You can pick it out 40 yards away. All those others are just another slab of glass in a sea of slabs of glass.
    Its certainly visually distinct and with a unique form factor. The hybrid keyboard is quite innovative. OTOH It pretty much follows the classic phablet formula. Take a smart phone and make it cartoonishly large so it is too big to comfortable hold with one hand,
    01-22-15 11:23 PM
    After reading through the thread I feel so sorry that the world is heading towards something where Apple and Google controls their life without much of us realizing it . It doesn't seem far when they decide what you eat.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-22-15 11:43 PM
    Your recollection is different than mine.

I hardly think BB board of directors did pay Chen directly to call them wall huggers. I thought it was funny, and apparently so did Samsung, speaking of Samsung.....
    I figure our recollections would be different. I suspect that you'd be hard pressed to find where the media jumped on him though.

The board paid him to be CEO. Till then, the iPhone was good enough for him.

The wall hugger thing was hilarious. I enjoyed it.
    01-23-15 12:15 AM

"It is not a statement of intent, and its not a strategic or religious thing, its just a function of when does it make sense and when is it something that consumers demand in sufficient numbers to make it worth our while and worth their while."-David Proulx, BlackBerrys Senior Director of BBM Business Development. Even though they did eventually get around to it, it wasn't their original plan to make an app for Windows because of the low user base.

I mostly agree.

I generally like his presence. Only major missteps (IMHO) are this and the TMO dustup.

I think the cardinal mistake was attaching the sentiment to the issue of net neutrality. The premise of "app neutrality" is silly enough on its own, but tossing it in to a discussion of net issues makes the company seem horrifically out of touch.

Whoever wrote that missive for him probably wasn't thinking.
    01-23-15 12:24 AM
864 ... 45678 ...