03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Revenue driven by greater market share. If I were a dev I know which OS I would be writing for first and it wouldn't be BB10 (despite the fact that I love it).
    Apple has lower market share than Android. What it has is bigger market share in the higher income brackets. They have 90% of the U.S. consumer PC market for computers costing over $1000.
    01-22-15 06:32 PM
    BB should run Android and drop BB10 because they will never get any Apps. Fighting for 4% against Microsoft is a lost war. As someone said, there is no room for a 4th player in Mobile
    That is worst thing they could do. Android is now a commodity. It's the Walmart of smartphones. iOS is still a status symbol. BB's best hope is to reposition the brand as a status symbol. And if that fails, then get out of the HW business. Making Android phones will only drag the company down.
    01-22-15 06:34 PM
    That is worst thing they could do. Android is now a commodity. It's the Walmart of smartphones. iOS is still a status symbol. BB's best hope is to reposition the brand as a status symbol. And if that fails, then get out of the HW business. Making Android phones will only drag the company down.
    and how are you going to that with no Apps? it's a catch 22: no apps = no market share, no market share = no apps
    01-22-15 06:38 PM
    Do you not realize that Netflix is in the business of selling TV programming (including movies, of course)? Roku and Slingbox are TV devices, and putting Netflix in TVs only further makes sense - it's a TV!.

Netflix was very straightforward: they look at marketshare when evaluating whether or not to bring Netflix to non-TV devices. BB10 has less than 0.5% marketshare, thus it is extremely unlikely that any new subscriptions a BB10 Netflix app would generate would be worth the expense of development, maintenance, and support of the platform. They also said that they re-evaluate these things every year, so should BB10's marketshare make significant growth, things could change.

This isn't bias, it's business. You say "it's not good for business", but that's because you're only looking at BlackBerry's business, and ignoring Netflix's business. Once you look at it from Netflix's perspective, their choice makes a lot of sense.
    I wish that your bold lettering helped but that's not exactly how I see things.. You see when Netflix came knocking on CRTC's door crying that cable operators are being unfair when they throtle their badwidth and are unfairly asking them to pay more for extra badwidth. Canadian cable operators argued that Netflix alone hogs more than one third of their total bandwidth and is actually causing more and more people to cancel TV programming subscriptions which puts Netflix in direct compititon with cable operators. CRTC in return went back to Netflix and said that they should put Netflix under TV programing regulations for which Netflix responded, I am assuming in bold lettering, that they are a digital content providers and should not be regulated as TV programming providers.. and If Netflix is only for TV things then they shouldn't really have an app for any mobile device at all then.. No?..
    See there is a funny thing about your 1/2% statistic argument and it is that this half percent isn't true for other place outside US.. More than 15% still use BlackBerry which I am guessing is still more than Canadian netflix subscribers here.. and share if there was any truth to that argument than how is it that Amazon Store has netflix app, I mean they only sold a couple 100K of their phones.. I mean seriously..
    I don't know if there is a bias or not but one thing is for sure.. US companies do seem to think that they have the right to arm twist other markets like Canada in order to get what they want and have no obligation in return.. I say, treat those who have such dubious business practices, like other Asian and European governments treat them..

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-22-15 06:45 PM
    BB's best hope is to reposition the brand as a status symbol.
    That's with the limited-edition Gold passport is about.
    01-22-15 06:47 PM
    Things are getting desperate at BlackBerry. Chen really didn't think this one through at all. Shooting from the hip doesn't always pay off, and in this case has backfired spectacularly!

Posted via CB10
    ADGrant and LuvULongTime like this.
    01-22-15 06:57 PM
    This is a shockingly stupid point of view.

Yeah. My company made crap consistently behind the competition for a long time and our customers moved on. Now developers ignore us completely. It's not fair. Make these people make apps for us!!!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wish to know about detecting lies? Join our channel at C002EFE5D. At The KUQO Group, we're always searching for the truth.
    01-22-15 06:57 PM
    All Chen is asking for is that if some party (could be BlackBerry) believes a an iMessage app is needed on BB10, then Apple should open up. A very basic open market approach, in contrast to a protectionist approach. I don't think that is too much too ask.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    01-22-15 07:27 PM
    Chen has done many, many good things for BlackBerry. But damn, this idea is all kinds of ridiculous and has dealt a huge PR blow to the company.
    01-22-15 07:31 PM
    If Chen wants Netflix on BB10, then he should make the Cyclone (BlackBerry TV box) a reality and put some marketing effort behind it, and then a tablet. These are devices that you can consume that type of content on. Then if an app is made for those, then it is easier to port to phone. But when you are phone only, and tell the world you are focused on business customers, and your only new phones over the past year have square screens and not TV aspect ratio, then you simply look stupid bringing Netflix into the picture!

If you want consumer apps, release a consumer friendly product line that is more than just phones! Also you might not want to tell devs publicly to port their apps to Android and submit them to the Amazon store. I see the Chenpoligists are out in force in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 07:35 PM
    and how are you going to that with no Apps? it's a catch 22: no apps = no market share, no market share = no apps
    Android run time on BB10 (Amazon). They will never have the same number of apps as Google Play, but it is 'good enough' for them to take to the masses with a serious marketing push. Problem is, they have no consumer focused phones. Which brings me to...

Chen is moron. He's criticizing app developers for not developing native apps when in reality HE HAS NOT GIVEN THEM ANYTHING TO DEVELOP FOR!!!!! No high end touch. No consumer phone of any kind. Then he tells devs to port over to Amazon. WTF????? Is he smoking glue? Please John, just STFU. He's starting to make Thorsten look good.
    Shlooky and dolco like this.
    01-22-15 07:56 PM
    If Chen wants Netflix on BB10, then he should make the Cyclone (BlackBerry TV box) a reality and put some marketing effort behind it, and then a tablet. These are devices that you can consume that type of content on. Then if an app is made for those, then it is easier to port to phone. But when you are phone only, and tell the world you are focused on business customers, and your only new phones over the past year have square screens and not TV aspect ratio, then you simply look stupid bringing Netflix into the picture!

If you want consumer apps, release a consumer friendly product line that is more than just phones! Also you might not want to tell devs publicly to port their apps to Android and submit them to the Amazon store. I see the Chenpoligists are out in force in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. However, even if BB makes the Cyclone and another Playbook, that won't guarantee that people will buy them and thus increase market share enough to get some of those apps. I think the Cyclone is worth doing as it should not cost much to make. But tablets are a lost market for them and for everyone not named Apple.
    01-22-15 08:00 PM
    Apple has lower market share than Android. What it has is bigger market share in the higher income brackets. They have 90% of the U.S. consumer PC market for computers costing over $1000.
    Yes, it is roughly 60/40 in favour of Android. I thought it was the reverse. My bad. I'll take your word for it on market share by income brackets. But my original point stands about the US being the place to make a break a platform.
    01-22-15 08:05 PM
    That's with the limited-edition Gold passport is about.
    I agree, but I think they are long way away from becoming a status symbol again. But I definitely think that is the route they need to go down. Walmarting it with the Android crowd is a guaranteed money losing proposition.
    01-22-15 08:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh I like the Cyclone idea. And we need another consumer device. Although this Chen thing could have really hurt that slim chance of success.

IRT Chen. I guess I didn't read it the same way as everyone else because this has really blown up. Lol. Yeah Chen's statement seems a bit... nutty. And he most definitely should not have even said anything. I don't know why he said anything. Net neutrality issues and app development are very different things. I was thinking apps like banking/payment apps should consider this "app neutral" approach. I don't know. Applications like games shouldn't have to. Nor proprietary messaging systems like iMessage. That makes no sense. The thing is using an Android emulator on BB10 devices is already doing what he wants, which is open up the platform to major applications. He really shouldn't have done that. God this year is starting off incredibly bad. I'm a Maple Leafs fan and a BlackBerry fan.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:20 PM
    All Chen is asking for is that if some party (could be BlackBerry) believes a an iMessage app is needed on BB10, then Apple should open up. A very basic open market approach, in contrast to a protectionist approach. I don't think that is too much too ask.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    Its FAR FAR too much to ask. Apple spent many millions or dollars developing iMessage. Blackberry did nothing to create it. Why should they be allowed to use it to sell phones?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    01-22-15 08:34 PM
    Its FAR FAR too much to ask. Apple spent many millions or dollars developing iMessage. Blackberry did nothing to create it. Why should they be allowed to use it to sell phones?

I think Chen really chose the wrong example. Nobody but Apple has iMessage. They didn't have to make BBM cross platform. Just because they did doesn't mean everyone else has to give up theirs too. The thing with Netflix is that it is developed for a ton of different devices. But BlackBerry has an Android runtime, so if Chen is asking for support from major app developers then he is asking for something BlackBerry users already have. All he has to do is shut it and continue making the Android runtime better and easier to utilize for all BB10 users and this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:51 PM
    He is asking that a competitor be forced to invest money supporting his failing platform. The FCC has no such authority, the Republicans in congress will pass no such law and even if they did, it would almost certainly be ruled unconstitutional.

All he has achieved with this suggestion is to make himself and BB look like sad, desperate losers who don't understand the smartphone business.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-22-15 08:53 PM
    John Chen (as well as Blackberry/BB10) are being severely chastised across the internet for these remarks. Really bad PR misstep on Chen's part.
    Nah....I disagree....let the trolls and the hate mongering wannabe journalists have their fun....I found the whole thing hilarious....keeps Blackberry interesting.

Regardless, Chen is a very smart man. Very calculating. Do not underestimate him. He did not post this for what it appears to be.

Remember a couple of months ago when he publicly admitted his wife did not want to give up her Samsung? The media was all over that saying Chen was a buffoon for admitting that. So what happens two weeks later? Blackberry has a deal to sercure Samsung phones.

Coincidence?? Hardly.... and the rumblings of a Samsung purchase or partial purchase of Blackberry now just won't go away.

Wall Huggers, Passports don't bend, T-Mobile spats.... all entertainment in my mind. The guy is headline material....Keep the good stuff coming Chen and don't listen to these politically correct spineless jellyfish gooing up these forums....
    quikchip likes this.
    01-22-15 09:02 PM
    Yes, it is roughly 60/40 in favour of Android. I thought it was the reverse. My bad. I'll take your word for it on market share by income brackets. But my original point stands about the US being the place to make a break a platform.
    It's much closer to even than that. Apple's market share was 47.4% according to Kantar, Android's was 48.5%. Windows had 3%.
    The higher income comment was in reference to the PC market. I haven't seen numbers for what percentage of the market for phones costing over $500 they have. Perhaps a more accurate statement would be that Apple has a very large market share among consumers willing to spend a lot of money on their personal technology purchases.
    01-22-15 09:06 PM
    Nah....I disagree....let the trolls and the hate mongering wannabe journalists have their fun....I found the whole thing hilarious....keeps Blackberry interesting.
    Everyone found the whole thing hilarious.
    01-22-15 09:07 PM

Wall Huggers, Passports don't bend,
    Sorry, Passports DO bend, the screen lifts, and the camera sucks!

Posted from an ME173X
    01-22-15 09:14 PM
    Way to highlight the app gap John . Now the average tech Joe is like "Blackberry? Last I heard they were having problems with getting developers to make apps for their platform and wanted the government to step in!"
    01-22-15 09:16 PM
    Everyone found the whole thing hilarious.
    So then, what is the problem? Did anybody's phone stop working because of the Chen's post? I know that mine still works fine.

Do I agree with government intervention for apps? Nope, I don't. I also am not going to get all lathered up in a tizzy and take things personally, because the CEO of my favourite brand of smartphone made a post I didn't agree with. Still liking my Blackberries and still thinking Chen is doing a great job and was chuckling at all of the predictably similar post those so called 'expert' tech bloggers cut an pasted from each other. The BB trolls came out of the woodwork and it was all a great show.
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-22-15 09:19 PM

Well that's fine if that's your personal opinion. We're all entitled to those. But that what he said is horrible PR is pretty much an objective fact. Just look at the headlines.

On a day when a new version of Windows is announced, the biggest news is that the CEO of Blackberry is calling for something he calls "app neutrality."

Think about that.

01-22-15 09:20 PM
864 ... 34567 ...