03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 23456 ...
tools
    But see,...YOU don't get to make that call for developers. And neither does Chen. That's what's laughable about this. That all dev should be forced to program in some language that's not right for the job. Or worse,...to put up some stupid webpage that's supposed to substitute for a properly executed stack. What we're really talking about is forcing an entire industry to code to the lowest common denominator. The "dumbing down" of what's supposed to be a bleeding-edge industry.

That's what's laughable about this. Those of you defending his statements are not thinking it through.
    I fixed it for you.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-22-15 02:00 PM
    BBRY just got burned.. Link
    01-22-15 02:30 PM
    This was the first time I found Chen's words silky and not businesslike. As long as phone is API's do not adhere to any standard, then apps need to be developed for each platform separately. Then it simple is a business decision for a developer, based on market share of each platform.

The only way to solve that is for the major players to get together and define an encompassing smartphone API standard.

And I don't see that happening anytime soon given the competitive nature of the phone industry.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:36 PM
    Google's development and open sourcing of Android is the closest thing to a level playing field for all as we will ever see in smartphones. HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Huawei and scores of others release competing products using the same OS and ecosystem. They all contribute code to the OS and features from various manufacturers have made their way into subsequent releases. They have the flexibility to differentiate their products from competitors via exclusive hardware/ software/ and services using a common platform. Even companies like BlackBerry, Nokia, and Amazon that chose not to participate in the OHA have had an opportunity to sell products using the Android ecosystem to various degrees.

It's ironic. I won't belabor the point as I trust most here are able to grasp the irony.

!
    01-22-15 03:01 PM
    They didn't have a choice. Perhaps you can call it a band-aid solution, but allowing the Android runtime to get the apps a lot of BlackBerry users were screaming for was absolutely necessary. As talented as the native developers are, people want Candy Crush, Instagram (I use iGrann Pro myself to support Adrian), SnapChat (I use Snap 10 to support Oliver), and other apps like Netflix. The developers for those top tier apps weren't coming. It's been 2 years since the release of BlackBerry 10, and still we are using an Android port of Skype.

The whole point to the Amazon App Store partnership, is to get the attention of 17 year olds again. Yes, BlackBerry is focusing on the enterprise area. But they need to keep a grip on the consumer market as well. Everyone keeps getting the same response from big name developers, "give me market share, and I'll produce the app for BlackBerry."

So while JC focuses on Enterprise, he can quietly have someone else behind closed doors work on the consumer market using the Amazon App store as a stepping stone. I've already had people tell me that if it wasn't for the Amazon app store, they would never have purchased a BlackBerry Passport.

So is it the ideal route to go? Maybe not. Is it working? I believe it is and it will eventually blossom into Native apps of top tier app developers.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Someone sees the big picture. Baby steps. Native apps won't come before market share. Market share won't come without apps. Give people some form of an app (in BB's case Android) and build market share from there.

WRT Chen's comments today. Brutal. He needs to zip it. If he was in Apple's shoes he would not be saying this.
    01-22-15 03:02 PM
    The media is all over this....and not in a good way. Google BlackBerry and click News. Just when the hype from tweeting from an iPhone started dying down....
    01-22-15 03:45 PM
    John Chen (as well as Blackberry/BB10) are being severely chastised across the internet for these remarks. Really bad PR misstep on Chen's part.
    And deservedly so. It is a horribly arrogant misstep.

And he sounds like a petulant kid that no one will play with. Does he really want developers coding apps with a gun at their head?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-22-15 04:01 PM
    And it begins...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...JmMQR2dGlkAw--

"Blackberry Has Never Looked So Desperate"
    Last edited by Shlooky; 01-22-15 at 04:47 PM.
    01-22-15 04:27 PM
    I thought this was about building one app in a universal language that would be os/platform agnostic. Not forcing devs to build for every os/ platform. Imagine a world where you jump from platform to platform and still have everything you had before with a different os. No more giving up this app to get this function, etc
    01-22-15 04:27 PM
    I found the discrimination talk especially ironic.
    01-22-15 04:35 PM
    Ouch. The first sentence of PC World's article drives the point home. "BlackBerry’s developer support has sunken so low that the company is now seeking a government bailout."

BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law | PCWorld
    01-22-15 04:42 PM
    Bigger market share doesn't always equal bigger returns. For example, iOS has smaller marketshare than Android, but(I'm guessing) nine times out of ten, an app hits iOS before Android. Monument Valley, Instagram, and Vine are just a few examples.
    And the reason for this is the US market where iOS still rules. And guess where most big name apps come from? The USA. So Google can sell Android on $50 micromax phones outside the US and take 90% of the global market, but devs don't care. It's the US market that will make or break a platform.
    01-22-15 04:58 PM
    So all the people thinking Chen is off his rocker don't believe that BB10 is a capable os deserving an app store filled to the brim?

We're not talking about when blackberry collapsed, we're in the post recovery Era of blackberry as a business and that should be a key point.

There are still millions of people using blackberries, and yet app developers choose to ignore us. All Chen is doing is being bold and directly addressing the issue head on.

I understand why developers would have been hesitant at the launch of bb10, but I think nows the time to for them to realize the untapped potential in blackberry.

If Chens comments bring ONE big name app over to bb10 then I say it's a job well done.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter. Devs will gladly make apps for BB if/when they have decent market share. Devs make apps to make money. They aren't a charity.

Chen needs to zip it. Stay the course. Rebuild in enterprise as much as he can (now that BYOD has taken hold), get the company profitable on a quarter over quarter basis by lessening the reliance on HW and more on SW and services. And if he decides he wants to stay in the HW game then he is going to have to get serious and invest money in R&D, OS updates, and ADVERTISING. Make products people want to buy. Or take it one step further and make products people don't yet know they want to buy.
    01-22-15 05:09 PM
    And the reason for this is the US market where iOS still rules. And guess where most big name apps come from? The USA. So Google can sell Android on $50 micromax phones outside the US and take 90% of the global market, but devs don't care. It's the US market that will make or break a platform.
    iOS is where most of the revenue comes from and it's much easier to develop for than android or BB. Support iOS first is a no brainer for devs.
    01-22-15 05:14 PM
    I thought this was about building one app in a universal language that would be os/platform agnostic. Not forcing devs to build for every os/ platform. Imagine a world where you jump from platform to platform and still have everything you had before with a different os. No more giving up this app to get this function, etc
    I don't want the government or John Chen telling me how I should build my apps.
    01-22-15 05:15 PM
    Not really, Apple market share is exploding in Asia
    iPhone 6 Plus Sales Boost Apple?s Market Share in Asia As Samsung Continues To Struggle | TechCrunch
    01-22-15 05:16 PM
    iOS is where most of the revenue comes from and it's much easier to develop for than android or BB. Support iOS first is a no brainer for devs.
    Revenue driven by greater market share. If I were a dev I know which OS I would be writing for first and it wouldn't be BB10 (despite the fact that I love it).
    01-22-15 05:19 PM
    This is what happens when you call your device a tool not a toy, and the fan base believes it. Devs then see it as a lost market. Low numbers and even lower people wanting additional apps because this is BlackBerry not an iToy.

Apps is what makes iPhones and Android appealing. Because they are toys and tools with a push of a download.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, but this is such BS. BB could call their phones whatever they want, and their competitors phones whatever they want. It doesn't matter. Money talks. And there is no money right now in Blackberry. All the development money is in iOS.
    01-22-15 05:22 PM
    That has to be a joke, surely? What a whiny little twerp.

Twitter: xandermac
    01-22-15 05:24 PM
    I don't disagree that iOS market share is gaining in Asia... but Android as of Oct 2014 had 83% of the global market. But that wasn't my point. My point is that markets outside the USA don't matter when it comes to app development. Win the USA and you will get good quality native apps on your platform.

iOS and Android combine to capture 96% global market share in Q3 | 9to5Mac
    01-22-15 05:26 PM
    Stay the course. Rebuild in enterprise as much as he can (now that BYOD has taken hold).
    The enterprise is not an ideal target market if you want to stay in business..They buy new devices once in a blue moon not like consumers that buy new devices every year
    01-22-15 05:27 PM
    And deservedly so. It is a horribly arrogant misstep.

And he sounds like a petulant kid that no one will play with. Does he really want developers coding apps with a gun at their head?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    to me he just sounds sad and desperate.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-22-15 05:29 PM
    I don't disagree that iOS market share is gaining in Asia... but Android as of Oct 2014 had 83% of the global market. But that wasn't my point. My point is that markets outside the USA don't matter when it comes to app development. Win the USA and you will get good quality native apps on your platform.

iOS and Android combine to capture 96% global market share in Q3 | 9to5Mac
    BB should run Android and drop BB10 because they will never get any Apps. Fighting for 4% against Microsoft is a lost war. As someone said, there is no room for a 4th player in Mobile
    01-22-15 05:30 PM
    The enterprise is not an ideal target market if you want to stay in business..They buy new devices once in a blue moon not like consumers that buy new devices every year
    I can't speak for all companies, but the ones I know of (including my own) have anywhere from 1-1.5 year HW refresh cycles. Many people are still excited about getting a new phone even if it is for work. The issue for Blackberry is the number of companies that still provide devices like this to their employees is decreasing not increasing.
    I thought this was about building one app in a universal language that would be os/platform agnostic.
    There is no universal OS or programming language (Android is as close as anything is ever likely to get), and so what's the government supposed to do, per Chen? Mandate some universal programming language? And then what? Universal phone hardware? That's essentially Communism - having the government decide what should be made and how it should be made. That would absolutely destroy the tech industry - which is why it has absolutely ZERO chance of happening.

Instead, it simply makes Chen, and by extension BlackBerry, look extremely out of touch and whiny. It's also not likely to be forgotten anytime soon - the tech world is going to remind people of this mercilessly for a long, long time.
864 ... 23456 ...