03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 3031323334 ...
tools
    Well, that is why you don't buy high.
    The same applied to nortel at its peak and likely applies to Apple right now.
    What goes up, will come down, especially in technology stock.
    Just wished that I had bought BlackBerry at $6 or nortel at $0.69 back in 2001.
    How much experience (and/or success) do you have in the stock market? It's easy to look back on a stock chart and see when the "smart" time to buy was. It's a little different when you don't have that perfect hindsight.

If you'd been interested in buying BlackBerry or Nortel at their peak, how much of a discount would it have taken for you to buy the stock? Because the examples you provide are BB losing 96% of its value and Nortel losing about 99.5% of its value. Chances are, you wouldn't have waited until the ideal moment to buy the stock, you would have either bought in well before it hit rock bottom, or you'd have waited too long fearing "catching a falling knife".

Also, very few of the people currently holding BB stock bought in at $6, and many are still totally underwater with their BB stocks.
    Last edited by mornhavon; 02-07-15 at 04:53 PM.
    TGR1 and jmr1015 like this.
    02-07-15 02:08 PM
    How much experience (and/or success) do you have in the stock market? It's easy to look back on a stock chart and see when the "smart" time to buy was. It's a little different when you don't have that prefect hindsight.

If you'd been interested in buying BlackBerry or Nortel at their peak, how much of a discount would it have taken for you to buy the stock? Because the examples you provide are BB losing 96% of its value and Nortel losing about 99.5% of its value. Chances are, you wouldn't have waited until the ideal moment to buy the stock, you would have either bought in well before it hit rock bottom, or you'd have waited too long fearing "catching a falling knife".

Also, very few of the people currently holding BB stock bought in at $6, and many are still totally underwater with their BB stocks.
    You sound bitter. Chillax. I do agree with you about the 20/20 hindsight. I chickened out and coulda woulda made money.

Actually I seriously looked at both stocks at the time. Would have bought the nortel if not for the fact I just bought a new house. As far as the BlackBerry stock, I had just bought my first BlackBerry phone, was very impressed and was wondering why so much negativity and undervaluation around such a good product. I hesitated and now 14 months later @ $12.50 not sure if BlackBerry a good buy or not.

Although not the exact subject of this thread, I ask the question to the unbiased stock experts if they think BlackBerry @ 12.50 Canadian is a good buy or not?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:31 PM
    You sound bitter. Chillax. I do agree with you about the 20/20 hindsight. I chickened out and coulda woulda made money.

Actually I seriously looked at both stocks at the time. Would have bought the nortel if not for the fact I just bought a new house. As far as the BlackBerry stock, I had just bought my first BlackBerry phone, was very impressed and was wondering why so much negativity and undervaluation around such a good product. I hesitated and now 14 months later @ $12.50 not sure if BlackBerry a good buy or not.

Although not the exact subject of this thread, I ask the question to the unbiased stock experts if they think BlackBerry @ 12.50 Canadian is a good buy or not?

Posted via CB10
    If you think Chen has any more accounting gimmicks up his sleave... go for it.

Myself? In addition to believing he is out of tricks I'd be a bit concerned about the SEC now investigating stock manipulation over the Samsung lies.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 06:07 PM
    If you think Chen has any more accounting gimmicks up his sleave... go for it.

Myself? In addition to believing he is out of tricks I'd be a bit concerned about the SEC now investigating stock manipulation over the Samsung lies.

Posted via CB10
    Wow you must know something we don't !?
    02-07-15 11:46 PM
    Wow you must know something we don't !?
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sec-pr...015902830.html

I didn't quote it as fact. Rather something to be concerned about. And there is reason for concern.

Sometimes desperate people do desperate things.

And BlackBerry is certainly desperate.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    02-07-15 11:57 PM
    Who are desperate, the shorts ?
    02-08-15 12:05 AM
    Chen is desperate, or he wouldn't be writing to the U.S. government.
    Cynycl and techvisor like this.
    02-08-15 09:52 AM
    With blackberry begging the government to basically force developers to use a "code once so it works everywhere" model reeks of desperation.

Blackberry needs to innovate to get customers back, not beg the government to intervene

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:09 AM
    I don't see it that way ! JC had the opportunity to say what he said and I see that as the next step for a free market and to promote innovation. Maybe the way you use the words "desperate and begging" is because you are afraid of something. Why all the fuss when you say BlackBerry is a small irrelevant company it shouldn't even bother you ! That's why I smell burning shorts !*
    02-08-15 11:09 AM
    37 pages. As I write this, that's how many pages of comments there are here. Everyone's an expert; everyone wants to give an opinion - but only because it's free.

I'm 100% certain NO ONE commenting here is a multimillionaire CEO.

Jobs was indeed a righteous ******* (I still contend): Design it and give it to them; they have no idea what they want!

Mr. Chen has muy grande cojones. Right or wrong, good on him for PUTTING AN IDEA forward.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not willing to credit him with being bold in this case because I rather think he was basically being a troll. A few tech radio hosts I was listening to were commenting that his speech was deliberately worded to invoke key hotwords in the net neutrality debate in order to push this agenda for app neutrality.

I still maintain this is sheer idiocy. The only current way to implement it is to force (yes that's right. Force them) 3rd party devs to learn and code for multiple operating systems by law against their will. I can't think of a grander plan to totally stifle indie devs who can't afford to do this. The bottom line here is that Chen is whining for government enforcement to bail BB out instead of BB succeeding on their own merits, and I can't think of a sleazier way of doing business.
    02-08-15 11:40 AM
    I don't see it that way ! JC had the opportunity to say what he said and I see that as the next step for a free market and to promote innovation. Maybe the way you use the words "desperate and begging" is because you are afraid of something. Why all the fuss when you say BlackBerry is a small irrelevant company it shouldn't even bother you ! That's why I smell burning shorts !*
    And it ain't a wonderful bouquet.

I always question the motives of people whom claim to have zero interest in something and yet continually go out of their way to add their short tempered vile.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 12:52 PM
    I'm not willing to credit him with being bold in this case because I rather think he was basically being a troll. A few tech radio hosts I was listening to were commenting that his speech was deliberately worded to invoke key hotwords in the net neutrality debate in order to push this agenda for app neutrality.

I still maintain this is sheer idiocy. The only current way to implement it is to force (yes that's right. Force them) 3rd party devs to learn and code for multiple operating systems by law against their will. I can't think of a grander plan to totally stifle indie devs who can't afford to do this. The bottom line here is that Chen is whining for government enforcement to bail BB out instead of BB succeeding on their own merits, and I can't think of a sleazier way of doing business.
    Troll? Idiocy? Sleazy?

Methinks thou protesteth too much!

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-08-15 01:04 PM
    Chen is whining for government enforcement to bail BB out instead of BB succeeding on their own merits, and I can't think of a sleazier way of doing business.
    It did come across as rather odd.
    jmr1015 and TGR1 like this.
    02-08-15 03:28 PM
    To most rational folks, yes.
    xandermac and Cynycl like this.
    02-08-15 04:07 PM
    Chen's comments?
    02-08-15 05:15 PM
    Who cares who makes more money? If you want to wrap yourself in the success of your favorite cell phone manufacturer and by extension feel great about having the same phone as everyone else than great. Enjoy your Corolla while you are at it.
    Well... for starters... all the investors. Then too there are all those companies who, while not investing in BBRY stock directly, invested in BB hardware and software services to build a network foundation to help run their business.
    02-08-15 06:33 PM
    Well... for starters... all the investors. Then too there are all those companies who, while not investing in BBRY stock directly, invested in BB hardware and software services to build a network foundation to help run their business.
    Then there are all the app developers deciding not to support the BB platform because the market share isn't large enough.
    02-08-15 07:20 PM
    When did I say blackberry is irrelevant. Obviously since I'm on these forums I want blackberry to succeed! How is forcing developers to make apps for all os's a free market and promoting innovation?
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-08-15 09:01 PM
    When did I say blackberry is irrelevant. Obviously since I'm on these forums I want blackberry to succeed! How is forcing developers to make apps for all os's a free market and promoting innovation?

Your being on these forums doesn't mean you want it to succeed ! Anybody can be on these forums, that's OK.*

What I don't understand how a closed environments can promote free market. *

How can someone that makes a code for an app and the people from*only*one platform can use it or even buy it. But if the apps are available on all platforms than, more people can buy or use it. *It also makes for more competition and pushes for more innovation.*

And that is free market .

What will happen if all the phone companies dissappear except for one, the coders will have to make apps at the mercy of the monopoly. That would be great wouldn't it ?*
    02-09-15 02:03 PM
    Your being on these forums doesn't mean you want it to succeed ! Anybody can be on these forums, that's OK.*

How can someone that makes a code for an app and the people from*only*one platform can use it or even buy it. But if the apps are available on all platforms than, more people can buy or use it. *It also makes for more competition and pushes for more innovation.*

What will happen if all the phone companies dissappear except for one, the coders will have to make apps at the mercy of the monopoly. That would be great wouldn't it ?*
    Actually, a free market is one where a developer gets to choose what platforms he invests his own money in to support. The end user is free to choose whether to buy into that particular platform.
    Cynycl, ADGrant, JeepBB and 6 others like this.
    02-09-15 02:22 PM

A free market is where you get to choose what device to buy. No one forced your choice on you.

Now that you've made a choice, crying discrimination based on about what options it doesn't offer isn't anyone's fault but your own. The fact that you don't have the options available to other device manufacturers does not make it a closed market or environment. You can still buy one of those other devices, should you choose, but some folks prefer to wallow in self pity, biatch and moan then blame everyone and everything around them rather than taking responsibility for their decision making disorder.

You don't want to buy one of those other devices, that's fine too. Perhaps this will help explain how a free market works

as for the second part of your post

What will happen if all the phone companies dissappear except for one, the coders will have to make apps at the mercy of the monopoly. That would be great wouldn't it ?

The populace will always demand options. If it ever got down to just one company, someone, somewhere would create an alternative and people would flock to it. People like choice. You just don't like your choice and want the free market to make an exception. That's not innovation, it's quite the opposite.

If a dev wants to make an app for BB10, they are free to do so in the current free market. The fact that they choose not to do so has nothing to do with whether the market is free or closed, but has everything to do with the current state of Blackberry and the ROI, or lack thereof if they were to make a BB10 app.

It's not a conspiracy. It's just not a worthwhile investment for most people.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 02-09-15 at 03:41 PM.
    ADGrant, JeepBB, Witmen and 2 others like this.
    02-09-15 03:16 PM
    If governments do what Chen is suggesting, place a mandate on developers, then it is not a free market.
    02-09-15 04:46 PM

Someone slept through Econ in college. What you're describing is not a free market. In essence, that is actually counter-intuitive to the free market ideal.

A "free market" allows the laws and forces of supply and demand to be free of any intervention, by a government, price-setting monopoly, or any other oversight or authority. What you're asking for, is a controlled or regulated market, where the government would intervene through non-market methods such as regulations and laws, to artificially alter some aspect of the supply and demand chain.
    xandermac likes this.
    02-09-15 08:04 PM
    I have to agree with some of your *arguments about free market but the consumer is penalized if he has a phone and doesn't have access to certain apps.
    *So to get all the apps *you *have to buy *2 or 3 phones.*
    02-09-15 08:41 PM
    Or you could have bought the first phone that had apps you wanted. Instead you bought into the hype and lies and "coming soon" rhetoric that has been Blackberry's modus operandi for the past several years.

Take solace in the fact you are not alone. They fooled lots of us.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg
    techvisor and MikeX74 like this.
    02-09-15 09:00 PM
864 ... 3031323334 ...