03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    And just like that Chen has turned into Thor.
    It's rather unThorChenit isn't it?
    01-31-15 12:38 PM
    Probably, his phone is a Z10.
    I'm also on a Z10 but on 10.3.1 and Netflix isn't slow. Maybe a bit slow to startup. The encouraging thing about the low specs of the classic that matches the Z10 is that they have a incentive to keep optimizing even their lower end bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-31-15 12:39 PM
    The encouraging thing about the low specs of the classic that matches the Z10 is that they have a incentive to keep optimizing even their lower end bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Or they won't bring some new cool features out because the low end devices won't support them, or they will but only to some phones creating a non-consistent experience.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    01-31-15 01:31 PM
    Or they won't bring some new cool features out because the low end devices won't support them, or they will but only to some phones creating a non-consistent experience.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see what new features couldn't be supported. This isn't BBOS

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:39 PM
    I don't see what new features couldn't be supported. This isn't BBOS

Posted via CB10
    More complex UI features and transitions that would require more GPU capabilities. Z30 processor and GPU should have been the minimum for any new Bb10 device.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    01-31-15 02:46 PM
    More complex UI features and transitions that would require more GPU capabilities. Z30 processor and GPU should have been the minimum for any new Bb10 device.

Posted via CB10
    They have no reason to use more complex transitions.... the point of bb10 is efficiency not flare.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-31-15 02:52 PM
    They have no reason to use more complex transitions.... the point of bb10 is efficiency not flare.

Posted via CB10
    If that were the case then my PlayBook would be running it! BB10 has not been about efficiency hence the fact that it needs lots of memory to run. Go back and look at all of the cool TAT videos when BB10 was going to bring flare. You have to improve things and add a little eye candy here and there to keep things from getting boring in a highly competitive smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor, Witmen, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    01-31-15 03:18 PM
    Did you not see the posts about them not being allowed by the content providers to allow any mobile browsers? Yes the browser could support it, but if they are not permitted by their agreements to allow mobile browsers access, then it's ability to support it is moot and them cutting off access isn't discrimination, it is honoring their agreements. Same for blocking of regions. Do you not think Netflix would want the same content in both Canada and US? They don't because of agreements with the owners of the content.

Again go to the Amazon App store, download Netflix, it works, and Amazon is doing exactly what BlackBerry is telling all developers to do now: Develop in Android and release via Amazon.

It's not Netflix's problem that it took BlackBerry so long to get the Android emulator after announcing (year after PlayBook introduction) and until 10.2.1 to get it to a fairly usable state. BlackBerry told the world they would support Android apps just prior to launching the PlayBook, the world said why learn a third platform if they will support one of the two main ones. In the meantime while BlackBerry has dragged along delivering what they stated, Google has taken steps to provide devs better features and frameworks tied to Google Play services, which now hinders the Android players app support. Google did this to stick it to companies like Amazon and BlackBerry who are trying to use their work without Google benefiting.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, for the love of John Chen, I read that and already knew that. The contracts with the content providers restrict it, which I understand. I'm sure it was made that way when it wasn't technically feasible. But now that it is, It should be changed. I think the contract should base it on the security of the content, rather than the device (the DRM requirement that app_developer mentioned).

I have no problems using Netflix from the Amazon App Store. I use it occasionally on my Z10, and my wife uses it on hers frequently. My only concern is the exclusion of the Passport in the Amazon App Store when it works fine. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional snub, but once users or BB notify them it works fine, they should just allow it. Netflix is a major app and it missing on the Passport does hurt it.
    01-31-15 11:40 PM
    We are still talking about netflix? I thought BlackBerry only for serious person who don't need entertainment

Posted via CB10
    Boo!

I'm also on a Z10 but on 10.3.1 and Netflix isn't slow. Maybe a bit slow to startup. The encouraging thing about the low specs of the classic that matches the Z10 is that they have a incentive to keep optimizing even their lower end bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    My wife's Z10 is on 10.2.1, and she has no problems using Netflix and watching shows quite often. She hasn't complained, and she likes to complain when it comes to her Z10.
    01-31-15 11:49 PM
    Yes, for the love of John Chen, I read that and already knew that. The contracts with the content providers restrict it, which I understand. I'm sure it was made that way when it wasn't technically feasible. But now that it is, It should be changed. I think the contract should base it on the security of the content, rather than the device (the DRM requirement that app_developer mentioned).

I have no problems using Netflix from the Amazon App Store. I use it occasionally on my Z10, and my wife uses it on hers frequently. My only concern is the exclusion of the Passport in the Amazon App Store when it works fine. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional snub, but once users or BB notify them it works fine, they should just allow it. Netflix is a major app and it missing on the Passport does hurt it.
    When I had the PP I had Netflix on there. Did they take it off??

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 09:41 AM
    When I had the PP I had Netflix on there. Did they take it off??

Posted via CB10
    Did you previously get Netflix through Amazon App Store on another device (like a Z10 or Z30)? From what I read, it'll show if you had it before on another device, otherwise it won't. This is what I've heard, so that may have changed or I was misinformed. I don't have a Passport because I'm stuck on Verizon for work, and I'm not interested in carrying two phones.
    02-01-15 12:29 PM
    It don't think it is technically feasible yet, because EME isn't implemented fully in iOS or Android. I don't know if it is in BB10.3.1. In any case, Netflix doesn't have their own implementation of EME in a mobile suitable state yet. (And they may not for a long time, because they have hardly any incentive for this)

BTW, I'm told the agreements have been amended ( or at least interpreted) to include this. But that doesn't make this a viable fix for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-01-15 at 01:42 PM.
    02-01-15 12:50 PM
    Did you previously get Netflix through Amazon App Store on another device (like a Z10 or Z30)? From what I read, it'll show if you had it before on another device, otherwise it won't. This is what I've heard, so that may have changed or I was misinformed. I don't have a Passport because I'm stuck on Verizon for work, and I'm not interested in carrying two phones.
    I have it on my Z10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-03-15 12:27 AM
    If that were the case then my PlayBook would be running it! BB10 has not been about efficiency hence the fact that it needs lots of memory to run. Go back and look at all of the cool TAT videos when BB10 was going to bring flare. You have to improve things and add a little eye candy here and there to keep things from getting boring in a highly competitive smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha there's no arguing with Dave, his Z10 is The best phone ever built and there are NO alternative options... Save your breath.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    techvisor and Cynycl like this.
    02-04-15 01:09 PM
    37 pages. As I write this, that's how many pages of comments there are here. Everyone's an expert; everyone wants to give an opinion - but only because it's free.

I'm 100% certain NO ONE commenting here is a multimillionaire CEO.

Jobs was indeed a righteous ******* (I still contend): Design it and give it to them; they have no idea what they want!

Mr. Chen has muy grande cojones. Right or wrong, good on him for PUTTING AN IDEA forward.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-04-15 04:47 PM
    37 pages. As I write this, that's how many pages of comments there are here. Everyone's an expert; everyone wants to give an opinion - but only because it's free.

Jobs was indeed a righteous ******* (I still contend): Design it and give it to them; they have no idea what they want!

Mr. Chen has muy grande cojones. Right or wrong, good on him for PUTTING AN IDEA forward.

Posted via CB10
    'righteous *******". You can guess what was bleeped out: It rhymes with "glass hole".

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 04:52 PM
    I don't think anyone would argue with that.
    02-04-15 09:06 PM
    It's about how his idea came off. He came off as a whining brat. This is not the image you want a recovering company to have. BB is in this spot because they chose to dig their heels in and not adapt. Those companies that adapted, prospered.

He needs to build blackberry to some form of their former glory before he goes on and attacks the big two.
    02-05-15 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Steve Jobs' company just had the most profitable quarter of any company ever so he was clearly doing something right. Under Chen's leadership, BB market share is now so low that Kantar no longer reports it as a separate line item. Better to be righteous than wrong I guess.
    xandermac, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    02-05-15 12:12 PM
    MikeX74 likes this.
    02-05-15 05:08 PM

Is it your contention then, that only multimillionaire CEOs know anything about the topic?

Penned via Tapatalk
    techvisor likes this.
    02-05-15 05:17 PM
    Is this the "Last Post Wins" thread?
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-05-15 06:39 PM
    Steve Jobs' company just had the most profitable quarter of any company ever so he was clearly doing something right. Under Chen's leadership, BB market share is now so low that Kantar no longer reports it as a separate line item. Better to be righteous than wrong I guess.
    Steve Jobs Is still running Apple?

Posted via CB10
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    02-05-15 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Talk about dead weight...
    Cynycl and MikeX74 like this.
    02-05-15 08:04 PM
    Obviously not. But it's not like the moment Steve passed away that the entire company dropped all of his ideals and succumbed to corporate anarchy. His fingerprints are still there.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-05-15 08:43 PM
864 ... 2829303132 ...