03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 12345 ...
tools
    SAD....... Up till now Chen came off as a smart man.... desperation makes us do and say crazy things.
    Even geniuses make bad choices. It's human nature.
    01-22-15 11:55 AM
    The most significant flaw in Chen's "App Neutrality" as he equates it with Net Neutrality, is that he has it completely backwards.

With Net Neutrality, ISPs can't throttle/inhibit traffic or data speeds based on content or content-provider. In other words, ISPs can't capitalize on their ability to affect other services not related to the ISPs themselves. ie.. Comcast can't give favorable service to Netflix streaming while at the same time throttling Hulu/Amazon streaming because they aren't ponying up ransom cash. What Net Neutrality does not require, is that all ISPs have to offer all the same services and/or products as all the other ISPs, nor do they have to share their products with the other ISPs.

What Chen failed to recognize in his App Neutrality concept, is that in this scenario, the Mobile Platforms now hold the same role that the ISPs do in the Net Neutrality scenario. If there were to be any kind of App Neutrality, all it would require is that if BBRY developed an app for a competing platform, then the competing platform couldn't intentionally inhibit the app's performance, ability to function, or even the ability to be installed on their devices. ie.. Android/iOS could not inherently force products developed by BBRY (like BBM) to run poorly on their devices, or block it from being installed by their users. And since Chen has equated it to Net Neutrality, then just like ISP's are not required to share their services and products with other ISP's, Platforms would not be required to share their products with competing Platforms.

Furthermore, the very concept that all apps and services should be required to be available to every platform would dictate that every app and service would have to be declared Standards Essential. Which would basically declare that there's no such thing as Intellectual Property when developing apps and services. Yeah... like that's ever gonna happen.
    BlackBerry's CEO doesn't understand what net neutrality is
    01-22-15 11:57 AM
    I'm all for what Chen is broadcasting, as long as it leads to open competition for any company, and that no company is given preferential treatment based on prior performance.
    Wow, are you serious?!

Using that mentality we'll all soon be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

But I guess it's a sign of the times. Performance and following through with commitments doesn't matter. Oh well, sure fits the BlackBerry standard of late.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl and jmr1015 like this.
    01-22-15 12:12 PM
    No comment since i have no idea about this subject.
    quikchip likes this.
    01-22-15 12:27 PM
    This is from a company that had the most closed wall garden of all and only recently "opened up" because they cannot compete with their offerings, and now they are accusing others to be against competition. I guess he cannot propped up profits with firing employees anymore and keeping up with lies of strong sales numbers.
    Very harsh but I tend to agree mostly except the lies part. Only people who work at high level exec positions in BlackBerry know whether those strong sales numbers are lies so I always give those numbers a benefit of doubt.
    01-22-15 12:36 PM

This isn't bias, it's business. You say "it's not good for business", but that's because you're only looking at BlackBerry's business, and ignoring Netflix's business. Once you look at it from Netflix's perspective, their choice makes a lot of sense.
    Years after the Netflix strike, I can't believe folks still cite Netflix on Roku/TVs as proof of bias.

I think some folks are fundamentally unable to see it from a perspective other than BBRY's.

It's an interesting phenomenon.
    01-22-15 12:39 PM
    Very harsh but I tend to agree mostly except the lies part. Only people who work at high level exec positions in BlackBerry know whether those strong sales numbers are lies so I always give those numbers a benefit of doubt.
    Yup... Chen's lies will become painfully obvious over the next few quarters.

Only today are folks learning that his denial of talks with Samsung were just that... lies.

This net neutrality stuff out of him is indicative of a desperate exec.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:51 PM
    So BBM was Blackberry-only for how many years? Let me guess, about as long as Blackberry stood atop of the messaging market. Does anyone believe that BBM would be cross-platform if Blackberry still was popular?
    01-22-15 12:52 PM
    So BBM was Blackberry-only for how many years? Let me guess, about as long as Blackberry stood atop of the messaging market. Does anyone believe that BBM would be cross-platform if Blackberry still was popular?
    But that was okay, in a "four legs good, two legs bad" kind of way.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    01-22-15 12:55 PM
    This is what happens when you call your device a tool not a toy, and the fan base believes it. Devs then see it as a lost market. Low numbers and even lower people wanting additional apps because this is BlackBerry not an iToy.

Apps is what makes iPhones and Android appealing. Because they are toys and tools with a push of a download.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 01:07 PM
    This is precisely why I do not use Apple computers. Sure Apple has a lot of apps but when I comes to actual useful programs I use for work they are down right useless.

I see most people in this thread think this is a bad idea. But I am a potential apple user but I absolutely can not use their hardware because there ecosystem sucks compared to PC!

Posted via CB10
    They have the full Office suite, the full Adobe suite, all the open source software development tools. Decent web browsers and Email clients. Seems fairly solid to me.
    01-22-15 01:09 PM
    or Capitalism. He has really damaged BBs credibility with his insane ideas.
    01-22-15 01:10 PM
    The previous CEO Thorsten fought tooth and nails to keep BBM only on BlackBerry. The first launch effort was a complete disaster when BlackBerry came up with some really silly reason why the launch was so bad by claiming leaks and unauthorized installs were the cause.
    01-22-15 01:11 PM
    Business Insider headline says it all.

"BlackBerry Has Never Looked So Desperate"

Chen is not CEO material. He should have been CFO. By the way... that is my opinion... that didn't come from the article...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 01:17 PM
    When BlackBerry was king of the hill back in the day, BBM was nowhere to be found on other platforms. They only changed there minds when they were at the bottom of the totem pole. It is amazing how things look different from top and then from the bottom.
    01-22-15 01:19 PM
    I can't believe Chen is actually serious with the paragraph quoted. That has absolutely nothing t do with net neutrality.
    01-22-15 01:23 PM
    I think he jumped the shark a little after his well received LinkedIn post about banning encrypted messaging apps which was only a day or two ago.

Well done for screwing that up, short lived.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 01:26 PM
    Business Insider headline says it all.

"BlackBerry Has Never Looked So Desperate"

Chen is not CEO material. He should have been CFO. By the way... that is my opinion... that didn't come from the article...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry FCC Apps Proposal - Business Insider
    01-22-15 01:27 PM
    what if this is just theatrics to drive down stock price and close the deal with Samsung?
    01-22-15 01:30 PM
    So all the people thinking Chen is off his rocker don't believe that BB10 is a capable os deserving an app store filled to the brim?
    No one is saying it isn't capable. So far, the top developing companies just do not seem to think it is worthwhile. The marketshare is tiny.

We're not talking about when blackberry collapsed, we're in the post recovery Era of blackberry as a business and that should be a key point.

There are still millions of people using blackberries, and yet app developers choose to ignore us. All Chen is doing is being bold and directly addressing the issue head on.
    Because they are already covering 95% of the market. Again, BlackBerry marketshare is extremely low. Why waste time and resources if the profit is not going to be worthwhile?

I understand why developers would have been hesitant at the launch of bb10, but I think nows the time to for them to realize the untapped potential in blackberry.
    Not a whole lot has changed since launch. BB10 devices are still an extreme minority. See above.

If Chens comments bring ONE big name app over to bb10 then I say it's a job well done.

Posted via CB10
    I highly doubt a top tier developing company is going to bring their app over because Chen is crying. They make apps for money, not to please millionaire CEOs.
    marty314 likes this.
    01-22-15 01:32 PM
    When is BlackBerry Fact Check going to re-spin this Chen desperation plea? #BBFactCheck
    01-22-15 01:35 PM
    Ouch!
    01-22-15 01:38 PM
    I agree with him, right now it's a duopoly between apple and android, if you're not on those two platforms, your out of luck and crazy for using something else, it's not good for competition, the same reason why the US won't let carriers buy each other, it creates unfair competition. Why not have apps run on some sort of shared framework that each manufacturer bakes into their phones, so the app developers code on one system, and continue to distribute to each store the same way. It seems like witch hunt against blackberry, take for example Netflix. they say bb doesn't have the user base, but develops the app for less popular or equally popular devices.

that said, blackberry does have to present itself as a stable company, these rumors of buy outs and take overs don't help their cause.
    He could have made a deal with Google and run Android instead of running BB10...HTC, Samsung, and other OEMs do just that and they are not crying about lack of Apps
    01-22-15 01:51 PM
    but I think nows the time to for them to realize the untapped potential in blackberry.

But see,...YOU don't get to make that call for developers. And neither does Chen. That's what's laughable about this. That all dev should be forced to program in some language that's not right for the job. Or worse,...to put up some stupid webpage that's supposed to substitute for a properly executed stack. What we're really talking about is forcing an entire industry to code to the lowest common denominator. The "dumbing down" of what's supposed to be a bleeding-edge industry.

That's what's laughable about this. Those of you defending his statements are not thinking it through.
    01-22-15 01:52 PM
    But see,...YOU don't get to make that call for developers. And neither does Chen. That's what's laughable about this. That all dev should be forced to program in some language that's not right for the job. Or worse,...to put up some stupid webpage that's supposed to substitute for a properly executed stack. What we're really talking about is forcing an entire industry to code to the lowest common denominator. The "dumbing down" of what's supposed to be a bleeding-edge industry.

That's what's laughable about this. Those of you defending his statements are not thinking it through.
    So very true.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 01:55 PM
864 12345 ...