03-07-15 09:35 PM
864 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    I don't get why no one can understand what he's trying to say, calling him crazy and stupid. Chen is definitely not a crazy or stupid man. He doesn't want to force people to make blackberry apps, what he wants is to do is get a standard app format that all can run. Like html5 apps or some generic app run time, it would help developers because they won't have to make an app for every platform, they can make one and all can download it. But like most people they just skip the details or listen to the media. He was using examples of how bbm is now cross platform to prove his point, and saying blackberry never used to do that is also true but this wasn't when Chen was running the show show you can't even fault him for that.

Posted via CB10
    I suggest you read what he actually wrote.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 01-27-15 at 09:01 PM.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-27-15 07:06 PM
    I would say that everything you post here is anti BlackBerry, so the theme of what you say is predictable and readily dismissed.
    Ah, so you're from the Sticking-Your-Fingers-In-Your-Ears-And-Shouting-La-La-La-I'm-Not-Listening school of thought.
    01-27-15 07:09 PM
    I suggest you read the actual letter and not what the media has twisted.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 07:11 PM
    Ah, so you're from the Sticking-Your-Fingers-In-Your-Ears-And-Shouting-La-La-La-I'm-Not-Listening school of thought.
    You are correct sir. I think that I graduated with honours, am not sure because I can't hear a thing with those fingers in my ears.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 07:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is there anyone here who hasn't read what he actually wrote? I have, and what he said is ridiculous and showed very poor judgement.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-27-15 07:15 PM
    Is there anyone here who hasn't read what he actually wrote? I have, and what he said is ridiculous and showed very poor judgement.

Yes, but you are biased, having written apps for apple.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-27-15 07:17 PM
    You are correct sir. I think that I graduated with honours, am not sure because I can't hear a thing with those fingers in my ears.
    Well played, sir.
    01-27-15 07:19 PM
    He doesn't want to force people to make blackberry apps, what he wants is to do is get a standard app format that all can run. Like html5 apps or some generic app run time,....
    This is indicative of how a lot of blackberry fans just don't understand the technology involved, and why you don't see Android or iOS users calling for "app neutrality." Such an app, built from some "standard app format" and especially, HTML5, would necessarily be an absolute garbage experience compared to an iOS app built with Objective C and Swift. Apple, rightly so, would never allow a diminished user experience for the sake of inclusiveness.

If you want an Apple or Android experience, then buy one of their devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    thracian and anon1727506 like this.
    01-27-15 07:26 PM
    Html5 was just an example. Many options would be available. You answered your question in your comments. Why would ios or android care about app neutrality? They already have all the apps so they don't care, this is an issue, not just for blackberry but for anything not ios or android. That and apple makes a killing off forcing you to use everything apple, atleast android is more open.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-27-15 07:29 PM
    Its amazing how many here know what Chen was thinking, meaning, intending, dreaming, despite what he actually wrote and signed his name to and then mailed to Congress.
    ADGrant likes this.
    01-27-15 07:43 PM
    That's funny because its you who quoted my post and responded with a personal attack which had nothing to do with the text you had quoted. If you had actually read what I had written you clearly didn't understand it.
    Enough of this nonsense I'm out of here !
    01-27-15 08:35 PM
    Html5 was just an example. Many options would be available.
    Actually there are exactly zero options available that preserve all of the capabilities, battery efficiency, integration and usability of a proper native app.

This is true on BB10 also. Proper native apps written against Cascades are more capable and more efficient and better integrated than any other option.

01-27-15 08:40 PM
    That's hilarious! But of course it won't be heard, because he doesn't want to hear it.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have not only read the letter, I have quoted the relevant sentences in this thread. It doesn't really matter though because as you say, most people listen to the media and the media is laughing at him and BB right now.

OTOH as an app developer I find his idea offensive and as a long time (15 years) BB user, I think it is a pity that he has undermined the progress he was making. Though I have to say, the T-Mobile thing wasn't so smart.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 01-27-15 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo
    jmr1015 and Coachbulldog like this.
    01-27-15 09:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL.

Those jokers in Waterloo have also written apps for...

Never mind...
    01-27-15 09:11 PM
    Actually there are exactly zero options available that preserve all of the capabilities, battery efficiency, integration and usability of a proper native app.

This is true on BB10 also. Proper native apps written against Cascades are more capable and more efficient and better integrated than any other option.

They actually run very well on the Classic's somewhat under specified hardware unlike many Android apps (which themselves are much better than HTML5 apps).

There is actually one partial solution that does preserve performance and battery life, C++. Of course you have to use Objective-C/Swift or Java for the native UI parts on iOS or Android and good C++ developers can be harder to find.
    01-27-15 09:12 PM
    Its amazing how many here know what Chen was thinking, meaning, intending, dreaming, despite what he actually wrote and signed his name to and then mailed to Congress.
    The idea that JC could actually make a mistake is literally inconceivable for some.

Thor enjoyed the same infallibility fit a season, till the collective turned on him.

It's fairly funny.
    01-27-15 09:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's right, John Chen wouldn't want any of those 1.3 million iOS apps on his BB10 platform. What a silly idea.
    01-27-15 09:15 PM
    LOL.

Those jokers in Waterloo have also written apps for...

Never mind...
    I hope you weren't going to say.................playbook 😁
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-27-15 09:45 PM
    That's right, John Chen wouldn't want any of those 1.3 million iOS apps on his BB10 platform. What a silly idea.
    I think that he would want quite a few of 'em.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:29 PM
    Sorry, it isn't 100% accurate.
    There isn't a "single" solution, but hybrids (like HTML5 + Native) would fit - again - for most.
    The chasm separating the camps has narrowed significantly, though, for a number of reasons. For developers, there is the widely-acknowledged, increased sophistication of HTML5, as well as the rise of hybrid apps. These are native apps “wrapped” around reusable core HTML5 code that are claimed to offer full-native app performance along with the faster development time of HTML5.
    The Surprising Winner of the HTML5 Versus Native Apps War | Inside BlackBerry
    And yes, of course & IMHO, what Chen said is a follow-up of the above ...
    01-28-15 08:52 AM
    However: for major content providers that make millions in profits, have userbases in the millions, have a massive public presence? Why not expect them to cater to all platforms as well if they are so adamant about reaching all their potential customers?

Talking about OS userbase as a measure for when something should get an app is exactly what is wrong with the discussion! If they say an OS is too small to build for, while at the same time complaining changes in Net neutrality will prevent them from reaching their potential customers is just bad logic.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    Perhaps BB should just be forced into using Android as their OS for the sake of "neutrality". After all, they're a major company aren't they? It would be far less disruptive and would fix their poor QNX decision.

Of course that would then be seen as the American Government imposing their will on a poor Canadian company, rather than on American Giants, and that would go over like a ton of bricks.

BB get to live with their poor decisions I'm afraid.
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-28-15 at 10:15 AM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-28-15 09:41 AM
    Perhaps BB should just be forced into using Android as their OS for the sake of "neutrality". After all, they're a major company aren't they? It would be far less disruptive and would fix their poor QNX decision.

Of course that would then be seen as the American Government imposing their will on a poor Canadian company, rather than on American Giants, and that would go over like a ton of bricks.

BB get to live with their poor decisions I'm afraid.
    Yes, BB should be forced to make a Passport running Android cause I don't want to be locked down to BB10 if I want to use the Passport form-factor and keyboard.
    01-28-15 10:19 AM
    Phil Nickinson over at AC has pretty much nailed it in his article

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-you-can-make-blackberry-ceos-crazy-***-smartphone-dream-reality"]How you can make the BlackBerry CEO's bat****-crazy smartphone dream a reality

My translation of Chen? "I can win on strength of merit so I'll do what all other losing teams do and ask for legal intervention to make up for my failings"
    I think I'm going to give this a try. I'm going to code my own smartphone OS and make some of my apps available on Apple and Google app stores and then demand that the law force Google and Apple to put all of their proprietary apps on my OS. Heck, let's open this right up for everyone! We'll revolutionize capitalism by legislating through government regulation that no companies are allowed to own their own creations! It'll be just like a Disney movie where nobody ever gets to win a school football game so all the kids can be winners

I disagree with Phil on one point though. I don't think Chen is crazy. I think he's sleazy because those are sleaze tactics. Not that it will amount to anything, he definitely is a loon if he thinks he stands a chance of being taken seriously. Thor may have been boring and out of touch but at least he wasn't a buffoon.
    01-28-15 10:27 AM
    The idea that JC could actually make a mistake is literally inconceivable for some.

Thor enjoyed the same infallibility fit a season, till the collective turned on him.

It's fairly funny.
    Thor did bring BB10 at least. Chen has brought buffoonery. All he's done with this latest stunt is make himself look like a clown who shouldn't be taken seriously.
    crackberry_geek and MikeX74 like this.
    01-28-15 10:29 AM
864 ... 2425262728 ...