03-07-15 08:35 PM
864 ... 2324252627 ...
tools
    Yea she really tore him up.

I wouldn't say he made BB the laughing stock (although some would argue they already were before this even happened), but he definitely didn't help the brand with his recent comments.
    I would say if pundits and bloggers start laughing when you or your company is discussed the term "laughing stock" would seem appropriate.
    01-27-15 10:04 AM
    You write like a 6 year-old...my dad's a policeman he's gonna put you in jail !! rotfl
    Is English your native language?
    01-27-15 10:06 AM
    I like Film_girl. Blunt and true.

Forcing a developer to provide an APP for us, this is the quickest way for developers to totally refuse to ever provide the app.
    01-27-15 10:10 AM
    T
    I know many are against any type of state regulations and can have epidermic reactions as soon as the word is printed (wondering what this blog post would have generated if it wasn't wrote along with a 'law request')

]
    Software developers do not want more government regulation (businesses never do). They also don't want to support four different smart phone platforms. Two is more than enough.

A platform with 1% or less of the US market is never going to attract the interest of app developers. Even Microsoft with a 3% market share is unable to do so and they have far greater resources than BB to throw at the problem. They also have a dominant market position in desktop operating systems and well regarded tools that many developers are familiar with.

If BB's survival strategy is depended on support from app developers, they are doomed. They should focus on handsets like the Classic and the Passport and sell them to lawyers, bankers and politicians who need a separate device for business.
    01-27-15 10:14 AM
    ... there's no operational answer to his claim but pushing into that direction is anything but stupid. Only the day when studios (I'm not talking about SOHO devs and I think neither does J.C) will have the agnostic approach when they conceive an app, we will see the revolutions in development solutions (aka the frameworks).
    P.S: Why isn't that so yet ? Well, maybe because most efficient IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) are proprietary software (Android Studio, Xcode, BB10 SDK, Visual Studio ...) ?
    So this is the part I think I disagree with ( if I am understanding you correctly). If we walk into the design of our experiences thinking that we *must* have the identical experience on every platform, then we end up aiming for the lowest common denominator. I don't want to compromise the experience of 99% of my users just to placate the 1% who choose to be different.

To be clear, I have no problem with people choosing alternative platforms. That's totally cool. But very few people choose that route, so this doesn't change the fact that we want to make awesome fully native apps for the mainstream platforms (with HTML5 as a backup, but not our primary strategy)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-27-15 10:28 AM
    Spend money, pay big incentives, money rules

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 11:15 AM
    Hey!! We're focusing on corporate business
    Hey!! Our platform is for serious person only
    Hey!! This is a phone, not a toy
    John Chen's response: "Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them."

According to many BlackBerry users that post here, Netflix is a shinning example of an unnecessary app; it isn't for the serious device user and it is 100% "toy." Yet here is John Chen using it as his primary example to make his point.

Such a inconsistent human
    Indeed.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-27-15 11:19 AM
    Is English your native language?
    That's the beauty of it.
    01-27-15 11:49 AM
    Thank you.... that's exactly what I though you would say. Why can't Google stop blocking the browser experience? Because then I won't want a BlackBerry and buy their product right? Thank you for providing us with the gripe that Mr. Chen has...... that mere statement reeks of control by Google....

Because it's their product, they own it, they can do what they want. If they decided they wanted to make YouTube like netflix, useable via mobile app only, they could, and there's nothing anyone outside of Google could do about it

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:14 PM
    That's the beauty of it.
    I only ask because your responses suggest limited english comprehension skills.
    01-27-15 12:29 PM
    I only ask because your responses suggest limited english comprehension skills.
    Your doing it again, the only thing you seem to be able to do is pick on people cause you don't know what else to say !
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    01-27-15 12:45 PM
    So this is the part I think I disagree with ( if I am understanding you correctly). If we walk into the design of our experiences thinking that we *must* have the identical experience on every platform, then we end up aiming for the lowest common denominator. I don't want to compromise the experience of 99% of my users just to placate the 1% who choose to be different.

To be clear, I have no problem with people choosing alternative platforms. That's totally cool. But very few people choose that route, so this doesn't change the fact that we want to make awesome fully native apps for the mainstream platforms (with HTML5 as a backup, but not our primary strategy)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Well, (sry if my English isn't clear enough) I'm not advocating a fully uniform (design and features) app development. HTML5 is one solution, available today for most apps, even with some deprecated features/look and feel. That's a good option right now.

I believe yet there should be some kind of core for every app that ensure the full app capabilities and then add device/platform specific enhancements. That's how we build websites now with the "content first" paradigm. We first start with the lowest capability scenario (say low res smartphone) and set features and content accordingly to both usage and restrictions. Then we add whatever we want depending on - say - screen resolution, navigator kernel or available plug-ins (etc).

My feeling is that today's a bottom up situation where (some) developers first target the most spectacular and then decide wether or not they will deprecate it to "standard" for platform x, y or z. That's just IMHO a conception error with many implications, the first being the hard times they have on every major upgrade of their targeted platform(s).
    But overall, we are quite on the same approach, I'd guess

And that's my 0.02$ only anyways !
    app_Developer and spike12 like this.
    01-27-15 01:00 PM
    I want to throw something out there. Isn't Blackberry big enough to develop app them damn selves? Or if they choose not to, give incentives for developers to make apps for you. I don't know what the split is/was, but 50/50 sounds good to me as a start and it would go up for the DEVELOPER as more copies are sold.

He's the CEO of a pretty big company. If he wanted to have Netflix on his devices, he should've called Netflix and said "Let US(we incur the cost) build an app to run on Blackberry. We're small, but our users have been requesting it for years now and we want to make them happy."

There is too much reliance on Android to make things at Blackberry move forward and I don't think that really a good thing.
    01-27-15 01:03 PM
    I want to throw something out there. Isn't Blackberry big enough to develop app them damn selves? Or if they choose not to, give incentives for developers to make apps for you. I don't know what the split is/was, but 50/50 sounds good to me as a start and it would go up for the DEVELOPER as more copies are sold.
    So it depends on the app. Where I work (a large bank), there is no way we would take a check from BlackBerry to make an app for a handful of BB10 users. At best that would only cover the development cost, but not cover any of the long term maintenance, product design, certification, etc, etc, implications of adding another platform for us. Customers get really upset if you say you are supporting a platform, and then you find you have to pull support for that platform later. They also get upset if you say you support a platform, but then a year later that app isn't kept up to date. It's a marketing and customer service nightmare for us if the iOS and Android app end up supporting more up to date features and bug fixes than the BB10 one.

And we've had this discussion with BlackBerry directly. We don't need them to subsidize the development cost, or give us developers. All we need from them is for BB to prove to us that the platform is viable and for us to see some reasonable number of our customers using BB10. Once those conditions are met, we'll pay for our own app development.

Of course it would not be possible for BB to just develop the app themselves, since we wouldn't allow them access to our systems (for obvious reasons).
    01-27-15 01:09 PM
    Either it's arrogance or no money to spent. Marketing and business plan idea? Certainly that's not the cause since they are the so called expert.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 01:10 PM
    Well, (sry if my English isn't clear enough) I'm not advocating a fully uniform (design and features) app development. HTML5 is one solution, available today for most apps, even with some deprecated features/look and feel. That's a good option right now.

I believe yet there should be some kind of core for every app that ensure the full app capabilities and then add device/platform specific enhancements. That's how we build websites now with the "content first" paradigm. We first start with the lowest capability scenario (say low res smartphone) and set features and content accordingly to both usage and restrictions. Then we add whatever we want depending on - say - screen resolution, navigator kernel or available plug-ins (etc).

My feeling is that today's a bottom up situation where (some) developers first target the most spectacular and then decide wether or not they will deprecate it to "standard" for platform x, y or z. That's just IMHO a conception error with many implications, the first being the hard times they have on every major upgrade of their targeted platform(s).
    But overall, we are quite on the same approach, I'd guess

And that's my 0.02$ only anyways !
    Some developers have a detailed cross platform strategy. One of those developers is Microsoft. In the case of MS Office they produce applications for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. They discussed their cross platform strategy at a C++ conference I attended recently. All their core functionality is written in C++. In theory this would make it easy to port their apps to BB which provides C++ based tools for their platform. However, they have not done so. In fact none of the cross platform mobile talks I attended at that conference mentioned BB10 at all. A C++ developer who works for BB did try to introduce the topic during one Q&A, but no one was interested. Then again, Microsoft's new WinRT platform isn't attracting much interest either. Instagram's app is terrible according to WP Phone users.

The problem is simple, app developers aren't interested in developing for platforms which do not have significant market share. Consumer app developers aren't going to release apps on platforms that are mostly used by enterprises either. Enterprise IT frequently prevents third party apps being installed on company devices. Some even disable BBM.
    anon1727506 and mornhavon like this.
    01-27-15 01:44 PM
    Your doing it again, the only thing you seem to be able to do is pick on people cause you don't know what else to say !
    That's funny because its you who quoted my post and responded with a personal attack which had nothing to do with the text you had quoted. If you had actually read what I had written you clearly didn't understand it.
    01-27-15 01:48 PM
    Most developers, even Apple Developers, have portable code that they use by breaking down their project into the model (cross platform), view (hardware specific), and the controller (hardware specific) since there are already several types of iOS devices. Now comes the Apple Watch so they want to be able to code for that smaller interface while keeping the model the same. They are looking for devices that sell in the tens of millions per year at least.
    ADGrant and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-27-15 03:35 PM
    Most developers, even Apple Developers, have portable code that they use by breaking down their project into the model (cross platform), view (hardware specific), and the controller (hardware specific) since there are already several types of iOS devices. Now comes the Apple Watch so they want to be able to code for that smaller interface while keeping the model the same. They are looking for devices that sell in the tens of millions per year at least.
    Tens of millions, in the market their Apps are geared for..

BBOS had tens of millions of users, still does. But either they were enterprise users with locked down devices or they were in markets where either language or economics might make an app useless to a user there.

I'll add that developers want a platform with a future.... CEO's that indicate the company is for sale or then the next one says that he'd like to get out of hardware. Well these things don't instill a lot of hope for a platform.

IT WAS NOT HARD FOR ANDROID DEVELOPERS TO SUPPORT BB10.... THEY JUST DIDN'T WANT TOO.
    01-27-15 03:57 PM
    Apple's results are in. In the last quarter they sold 74.5 million iPhones, 21.4 million iPads, and 5.52 million Macs. For comparison, Microsoft sold about 10 million phones in the last quarter.

I mention this here because these are the sort of numbers that get app developers attention. I am not sure what BB10 device sales were last quarter, perhaps someone can post it.
    01-27-15 04:37 PM
    I also saw something in the news today that Apple shipped its billionth ios device recently.

I only ever had one iPod and i bought it used. 😁
    01-27-15 05:24 PM
    I also saw something in the news today that Apple shipped its billionth ios device recently.

I only ever had one iPod and i bought it used.
    That puts their current quarter in perspective. They sold close to 100, million iOS devices in the last quarter (including an unknown number of iPods.). So they sold about 10% of their total unit sales in the last quarter.
    01-27-15 05:58 PM
    I would say if pundits and bloggers start laughing when you or your company is discussed the term "laughing stock" would seem appropriate.
    I would say that everything you post here is anti BlackBerry, so the theme of what you say is predictable and readily dismissed.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 05:59 PM
    I don't get why no one can understand what he's trying to say, calling him crazy and stupid. Chen is definitely not a crazy or stupid man. He doesn't want to force people to make blackberry apps, what he wants is to do is get a standard app format that all can run. Like html5 apps or some generic app run time, it would help developers because they won't have to make an app for every platform, they can make one and all can download it. But like most people they just skip the details or listen to the media. He was using examples of how bbm is now cross platform to prove his point, and saying blackberry never used to do that is also true but this wasn't when Chen was running the show show you can't even fault him for that.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-15 06:02 PM
    I would say that everything you post here is anti BlackBerry, so the theme of what you say is predictable and readily dismissed.

Posted via CB10
    On this thread yes. I was actually quite impressed with Chen until his "app neutrality" idiocy. The Classic was a great idea.

Also was using Blackberries since the original 950 cam out. I loved my 9900 until my employer switched me to BYOD. I had a personal BB (and an iPad) until iCloud and iMessage launched with the 4s.
    01-27-15 06:04 PM
864 ... 2324252627 ...